• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your time has come, bands that ended too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

anaron

GDGF said:
Cibo Matto
This and

tumblr_l1z9x6iDtn1qaybmyo1_500.jpg

Fresh_Meat_Cover.jpg

I'd have to put it behind that crazy little electro-pop outfit Arkarna. Fresh Meat was one of the soundtracks to my teens, especially with The Future's Overrated - which everyone of that era should at least be the tiniest bit familiar with.

There was something wonderfully upbeat about them.

Runner-ups:

Bentley Rhythm Ace
Leftfield

Diablos

anaron said:
Well, there's a whole boxset just waiting to be released that Kevin Shields has been talking about since at least 1997. Given the fact that they DID finally tour again and the still unheard material has yet to surface, I think it's never going to come out. :(

Joy Division were an English rock band formed in 1976 in Salford, Greater Manchester. Originally named Warsaw, the band primarily consisted of Ian Curtis (vocals and occasional guitar), Bernard Sumner (guitar and keyboards), Peter Hook (bass guitar and backing vocals) and Stephen Morris (drums and percussion).

Joy Division rapidly evolved from their initial punk rock influences to develop a sound and style that pioneered the post-punk movement of the late 1970s. According to music critic Jon Savage, the band "were not punk but were directly inspired by its energy". Their self-released 1978 debut EP, An Ideal for Living, caught the attention of the Manchester television personality Tony Wilson. Joy Division's debut album, Unknown Pleasures, was released in 1979 on Wilson's independent record label Factory Records, and drew critical acclaim from the British press. Despite the band's growing success, vocalist Ian Curtis was beset with depression and personal difficulties, including a dissolving marriage and his diagnosis with epilepsy. Curtis found it increasingly difficult to perform at live concerts, and often had seizures during performances.

On the eve of the band's first American tour in May 1980, Curtis, overwhelmed with depression, committed suicide. Joy Division's posthumously released second album, Closer (1980), and the single "Love Will Tear Us Apart" became the band's highest charting releases.

OP has it right with At the Drive In neither of the bands that came out of the breakup could capture the brilliance that was ATDI, The Mars Volta came close a few times but it just wasn't the same.

Zodzilla

Libertines-album.jpg

Hate Pete Doherty and his personal shit. Loved the band when they were focused. I was always disappointed when they split up because if they had tightened up (or self destructed) over the next few albums, they really could have been amazing.

Dabanton

I remember seeing ATDI in london at the Astoria in 2001. One of the best gigs i've ever been to as they were supported by Terris and My Vitriol.

What a great night that was.:D

DeSo

Banned
Refused went out on top, anything after TSOPTC would have sucked. (compared to that album of course) So poetic they went out on that album.

Also apparently APC aren't dead and Keenan and Howerdel are looking to bring out another album.

Anyway I'll say Faith No More. I think they had more in them. But that might have restricted Patton's work outside of that band.

Doytch

Totally agree about DFA. Damn shame. Especially since both of their solo stuff isn't anywhere near as good.

I nominate J Dilla. Goddamn shame. One of the top musical minds of this generation, he loved making music. Donuts is an amazing record even if you don't know the story behind it.
Jay_Dee.jpg

RIP

DeSo

Banned
MightyHealthy said:
ATDI in OP. Thread completed.
Couldn't have been topped.

lol I wasn't there but apparently they went nuts over here, would have been great to be there.

Medalion

Banned
The person that posted Oasis...

Yeah I love those guys, and was devastated to hear they had broken up when it happened, but to be under the impression they split before their time (not that I wanted them to break up or anything), I think is a bit much.

shagg_187 said:
Only one real and true answer: Failure. They are the best kept secret of rock, in my opinion.

4hX6F.jpg

Everyone in the band was/is super-talented and went on to create some of the greatest music on and off Failure. Too bad the band came out on the wrong place with the wrong name at the wrong time and after releasing 3 albums, it finally died off and they decided to split. Members went on to represent other bands and projects like A Perfect Circle, On, Year of the Rabbit, Autolux, Queens of the Stone Age, Enemy, and a really great tribute album Replicants.

They gave life to a dead genre "Space Rock" and made it their own. Sadly, 90's was the era of Grunge, Shock Rock and Alternative and they were out of the map.

Albums:
* Comfort (1992)
* Magnified (1994)
* Fantastic Planet (1996)

Tracks to look out for:

Bernie (Great, haunting song with a weird, soothing progression): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3I7sOuwGtM
The Nurse Who Loved Me (Later covered by A Perfect Circle. IMO, this version is a gazillion times better than APC's cover): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_BCvV9_I4I
Stuck On You (Later covered by Paramore. Again... Fuck Paramore, this is THE SHIT!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cntLoJ8nCs
Daylight (Greatest and epicest closing song for a band's last album ever. Ever!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NON4mQmCts
Screen man (One word. EPIC!): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36nU6fmtz8Y
Excellent response. Failure is one of my all time favorite bands; I listen to Fantastic Planet all the time.

StuBurns

Banned
Dabanton said:
Me too but after this shit

owlcityoceaneyes300x299.jpg

And shit like this

I can see why they would want to leave it their.
I actually thought their song Fireflies was DCFC, I heard it in a subway a few months ago and my mate said it was, and there is a line about sockhop, and I knew Ben Gibbard had a song called that so I thought maybe DCFC had recorded it too. You blew my mind.

As for the thread, another Postal Service record would be awesome, I think it'll happen eventually. The Three Amoebas split before they could even make an album, but apparently their stuff was incredible. Hopefully it'll leak at some point. And I want to hear the album River Phoenix's band made, it's meant to be awesome, and I've heard a few of his songs, they're very good.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
astroturfing said:
Fugazi really need to come back and show all the shitty wannabe nu-emo/pop-punk bands how it's done.
fuck yes, although i think their final album is the absolutely perfect coda to their discography.

big ander

*command+f: Fratellis*
:mad:
Does no one else like them?

The Fratellis

Scottish indie rock kings with sing-along masterpieces and a feel-good vibe. Their first album, Costello Music (released 2006), was spectacular. It launched them to indie fame. They followed that up with Here We Stand (r. 2008), a less loved album by most, but one that I still enjoy. Both albums have amazing lyrics and, again, really goddamn fun music. After Here We Stand, all the members split off to pursue their own interests. They're technically on hiatus, but the currently have no plans to resume playing as The Fratellis. We can hope one day they will.

YouTube - The Fratellis - Henrietta
YouTube - The Fratellis - Chelsea Dagger
YouTube - The Fratellis - Creepin Up The Backstairs
YouTube - vincethe lovable stoner - the fratellis
YouTube - The Fratellis - A Heady Tale
YouTube - The Fratellis - Mistress Mabel
YouTube - The Fratellis - Milk And Money

Baha

I Mother Earth, among several other great Canadian bands that I'll never hear from again. I miss the 90's :( .

Y-Z

Zodzilla said:
Libertines-album.jpg

Hate Pete Doherty and his personal shit. Loved the band when they were focused. I was always disappointed when they split up because if they had tightened up (or self destructed) over the next few albums, they really could have been amazing.

Euuhm, They are actually back together!

VRLibertad.jpg

My fav band :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom