• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your time has come, bands that ended too soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Combichristoffersen said:
True. I love Misfits w/Graves, but man, Misfits with Danzig was the bee's knees. Too bad Danzig went on to a career of releasing progressively shittier solo albums (his first two are great, third and fourth are OK, and everything after that is liquid feces) :(
For me the Misfits has been dead since 84, Graves sucked balls and everything after that is shit too. Samhain ruled and the first 4 Danzig LP's + Thrall-Demonsweatlive EP + Lost Tracks Of Danzig are all golden. The new Danzig LP is also surprisingly great and every other album except Blackacidevil has at least 1 or 2 great tracks.

Revis:
revis.jpg

Atomship:
5193NSQXFQL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

American Head Charge:
51NHYAD18WL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

album1547.jpg

Motograter:
51A31DvU5mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

forgot about these:
repulsion.jpg

4799c1a377.jpg

both bands broke up before the album released their first albums :lol but extremely influential for everything that came afterwards

NGAMER9

Minor Threat is the first that comes to mind, anyone who doesn't have their complete discography (which unfortunately fits on one cd...) should immediately get it. Nirvana I guess, but I'm okay with the three albums they released as is. System of a Down, even if they are supposedly "going to come back any minute," it's been like 4 years now and Scars/Serj for the most part suck. And I'll say Velvet Revolver too, I think they had some great stuff and were going in a good direction, glad I saw them live on the last tour.

And to people saying A Perfect Circle, I'd bet money that a new album will be out from them within a year.

ChubbyHuggs said:
Maynard said he was working on stuff for both a Tool and A Perfect Circle album.

:| Are you serious? AWESOME! I have been dying for new Tool + APC stuff. If APC comes back and goes on tour, I've definitely gotta go catch some of their shows. Thanks for the heads-up. :D

NGAMER9

ChubbyHuggs said:
Maynard said he was working on stuff for both a Tool and A Perfect Circle album.
Right, but all the Twitter stuff from the different members of A Perfect Circle makes me think something will happen soon. Not normal soon, but Maynard soon. Personally I'd rather have new Tool myself, but I expect it to take a lot longer for that.

NGAMER9 said:
Right, but all the Twitter stuff from the different members of A Perfect Circle makes me think something will happen soon. Not normal soon, but Maynard soon. Personally I'd rather have new Tool myself, but I expect it to take a lot longer for that.

Yeah, I expect an album around '12 or '13.

NGAMER9 said:
I've been staring at your avatar for the whole duration of Whipping Post and I can't stop.

-Eddman-

I support the ATDI, Big Star and original Guns n' Roses mentions. I would also like to add:

pixies.jpg

Pixies: yeah, they're still touring but their last album came out in the early 90's and I don't expect them to release something new anytime soon :(

caifanes02.jpg

Caifanes: One of the best latin rock bands, pioneer of the 80's/90's "Rock en español" movement; with some similarities to The Smiths and The Cure in the first album, they started to add more mexican elements and heavier guitars in their second and third albums (this one produced by King Crimson's Adrian Belew). Sadly, they couldn't overcome the massive ego issues between vocalist Saul Hernandez and guitarist Alejandro Marcovich and split up some time later in the mid 90's. Totally recommended for latin rock newcomers!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
PetriP-TNT said:
For me the Misfits has been dead since 84, Graves sucked balls and everything after that is shit too. Samhain ruled and the first 4 Danzig LP's + Thrall-Demonsweatlive EP + Lost Tracks Of Danzig are all golden. The new Danzig LP is also surprisingly great and every other album except Blackacidevil has at least 1 or 2 great tracks.

Misfits w/ Graves was more metal than punk, pretty much. I like it, even though some of the songs on that Cuts from the Crypt album has some riffs that sound disturbingly much like Metallica. But anything released after Graves left is ass. As for Danzig, the only thing I like of his solo stuff, bar the first four Danzig albums, is Black Aria (which is possibly the best thing he's done post-Misfits). Anything he's done after the first four Danzig albums is terrible IMO. 6:66 Satan's Child is probably one of the worst albums I've ever spent money on. Ugh.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Lots of shit I would agree with here

I want more Fugazi in the future...
The more time passes the more I think The Argument might actually be the stealth best album of the 00s.
Which is weird because, upon its release I was like, "Its okay."

If they ever end their hiatus and come back I want them to do it with new/good music like Mission of Burma and not do some nostalgic victory lap like the Pixies have been doing for 5 years

Semisonic. Their second album, Feelling Strangely Fine was perfect. They did a 40% good one with All About Chemistry as their 3rd and it flopped. I wish they would have stuck it out and made a 4th album. Dan Wilson is incredibly talented but without the other members of the band he resorts to songs that sound far too depressing.

-Eddman- said:
I support the ATDI, Big Star and original Guns n' Roses mentions. I would also like to add:

pixies.jpg

Pixies: yeah, they're still touring but their last album came out in the early 90's and I don't expect them to release something new anytime soon :(

Eh, they were kind of fizzling out by the time they did Trompe Le Monde which was basically a Frank Black solo record anyway.

TwiztidElf

Shin_Kojima said:
oho2ll.jpg

Pop Will Eat Itself.
Loved their style and weirdness. Clint Mansell (the guy with the hair fountain) went on to do awesome soundtracks like Requiem for a Dream though.
This. So this.
And yet, the rumors of regrouping continue to circulate.

I'd also add:
Butthole Surfers. I don't think they're officially broken up, but nothings been the same since Independent Worm Saloon.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
besada said:
No love for '64-'95? But yes, yes, yes, yes.
That one's awesome too, I just got lazy :D

LaserBuddha said:
UNKLE

UNKLE-Psyence-Fiction.jpg

UNKLE without DJ Shadow could never recapture that magic. I often think about what we could have gotten out of a second round.
UNKLE moved in another direction when DJ Shadow left, but I think they're still great. Different, yes, but still awesome.

The Clash would have probably gone on to make some great albums if they'd just taken a year off and 1982 and auditioned a new drummer who wasn't hopped up on heroin. They ended tragically soon. Some of the stuff on Joe's last solo albums sound like he was writing Clash songs and I just wonder what could have been.

Others:
-R.L. Burnside, who was like 80 when he died, but it's unfair because he had really only been making proper albums for about 9 years. Still pissed I never had the chance to see him live.
-Otis Redding. Best singer who ever fucking lived. Not even 30 when he died.
-The Band. Fuck you, Robbie Robertson, for killing such a great thing so you could have a bullshit solo career.

Momar

aka Ryder

Dude, I remember watching this performance a couple years back and thinking "John Entwistle is so bad ass that he does not fucking care how awesome this riff is". Seriously, so fucking great.

Phobophile

A scientist and gentleman in the manner of Batman.
Acid Bath

8e03e

ee1e9

Two brilliant full-length albums and they break up after the bassist dies.

wow, thanks for educating me GAF.

i never knew Clint Mansell was in Pop Will Eat Itself. and i never knew DJ Shadow was in UNKLE (this i really should have known).

wtf.

corkscrewblow said:
uhh... no Kyuss mentioned? GAFs shit taste in music continues.

I mentioned Kyuss, but only in relation to Unida :D Personally I love a lot of the bands spawned from Kyuss, so i've never been that bothered that they only released 5 albums.

NGAMER9

Momar said:
Dude, I remember watching this performance a couple years back and thinking "John Entwistle is so bad ass that he does not fucking care how awesome this riff is". Seriously, so fucking great.

I've been staring at your avatar for the whole duration of Whipping Post and I can't stop.

Yeah, John was something else, it's so amazing to me that he just pulls off that amazing bass part without caring and just looking at all. Credit goes to Snesfreak, he has a bunch of other cool Who related ones too.

anaron said:
The best ever.

Spiderland by Slint is probably my favorite post-rock album ever. I wish they had more to listen to. And I consider The Stone Roses' self-titled debut to be the best debut ever. Absolute perfection, and then they make us wait four years for Second Coming and then vanish.

I agree with many of the posts in here though. So many fine bands.

Max

I am not Max
l_8bc85a188900b4a12115c57077fcaaf7.jpg

Daggermouth

Daggermouth was a pop-punk/melodic hardcore band from Vancouver British Columbia (really close to me but I failed to see them a couple times when I really should have) that I absolutely adored. Heartfelt lyrics and mad nice breakdowns with catchy melodies. Unfortunately the singer apparently had problems with a serious case of depression so after or during one tour he had to head home to do whatever they do to cure that. And then he tore some ligaments or something. I know it was mentioned that they were trying to get it back together but I guess that didn't work out. This all happened around the beginning of 2008 and they've hardly let out any updates, so I've concluded that it'll be on indefinite hiatus.

So sad.

One Man Army
3347.jpg

Also, thanks kenssi for introducing The Exploding Hearts...sucks I had to find out about them because they don't exist anymore.

Fatalah

Fatalah said:
The+Moon+is+Down.JPG

Man I love this first album, and the two following albums with each different lead singer. But that first album is special -- something Carrabba hasn't been able to recapture since.
Sample song:
The Bradley

Holy shit. Their official website is suddenly LIVE again with a teaser! I guess I should remove my original post, looks like they have a new album in the works! Been waiting 10 years for this!

Dead

well not really...yet
ATF487 said:
Disagree with the Joy Division one, because then we may have never got New Order
This.

As sad as it is that Joy Division ended when it did, the fact that New Order came out of it pretty much made it alright in the end.

I just thought of another band that ended way to soon.

For the Love of

Their 1st album Feasting on the Will of Humanity is one of my favorite albums. It is so sad that they only put out 2 albums.

Sobriquet said:
I'm going to see Cap'n Jazz tonight! :D

WHAT?! since when have they been back together...? out of all bands...

i remember listening to Analphabetapolothology like a decade ago, and they were long gone even back then.

Xater

Enosh said:
Sentenced
article-sentenced.jpg

I have no idea why exactly they split up
Sentenced - No One There

YES, YES and YES! I love Sentenced so much, at least the albums with Ville. I can still hear him in Poisonblack, but they are not as good as band as Sentenced was. I was so pissed when I missed one of their last shows at the Rockhard festival which is in my fucking city!

I still listen to Sentenced all the time.

Y-Z

gdt5016 said:
Velvet Revolver is your favorite band?

wat.

That bad? :(

I actually like a lot of bands so can't say i have a real favorite, but i would rank em high yeah.

Timo

I came in here to post DFA 1979. I was startled to see them as a first post.

The fucked up thing they did is circulate rumors about their next album which they weren't doing at all. They said there would be 3 versions, one with just them, one with them and a full band, and then one completely covered by a girl band of some type. Those fucking assholes.

Grainger mentioned in an interview that if he saw JFK walking on the street he would wave at him now. That doesn't mean shit for them getting together again probably though.

The fucked up thing is that they never thought they would hit big with the band, it was just something they were doing, even their most popular song, 'Romantic Rights', used a main riff from an earlier JFK dance song, one of the reasons JFK saw it as a sign they weren't meant to last. They did finish their tour that they had going with NIN and Queens of the Stone Age though, which was pretty awesome of them, even though they were supposedly bickering like an old married couple.

: [ I'll stop talking now.

Sobriquet

astroturfing said:
WHAT?! since when have they been back together...? out of all bands...

i remember listening to Analphabetapolothology like a decade ago, and they were long gone even back then.
A one-off reunion show was so successful that they decided to do a mini-tour.

The show was AMAZING.

MattyH

No mention of nightwish?
i mean i know they are still around but they really changed after tarja left and i mean for the worse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom