• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 of 2023...

Alright enough acquisition talk. Back to the best year in gaming since 2017. Before BG3 and Starfield destroys all perception of finishing any other games this year, what is gafs top 5 of 2023 that you actually finished. Yes Im cheating including a 2022 game but in my defence, games are long af now.

1) Resident evil 4 Remake
Never played the original so all of it is brand new to me. Best resident evil since re2make

2) Jedi: Survivor
Cal Kestis second game was excellent throughout. The level design was approaching fromsoft levels of intricacy. Cast was likeable and the personal story towards the end was a breath of fresh air instead of saving the galaxy against the empire bs.

3) Street Fighter 6
Really cool yakuza like campaign and I keep replaying arcade mode with different characters. Best fighting game Ive played in years.

4) Plague Tale Requiem
Played it late due to god of war but godam is this a better story than ragnarok. Most harrowing game since last of us 2 especially the run to the ending. Utterly depressing.

5) Killer Frequency
Small indie game where you are a dj in a radio station saving people from a serial killer. The coziest game with 80's inspired soundtrack. The vibe was really cool and voice acting was strong throughout.

Ill be finishing up Oxenfree 2 and Ffxvi before august, so cant speak to those yet.

Last edited:

LakeOf9

1. Tears of the Kingdom
  2. Resident Evil 4
  3. Jedi Survivor
  4. Dead Space
  5. Diablo 4
If I can count Metroid Prime that would be 3. I also need to finish the Yakuza game from earlier this year

blacktout

CMA vs Microsoft
FTC vs Microsoft
Tears of kingdom
Same.

Honestly though, I'm way behind. I still have a huge backlog of games from last year and even earlier.

I think the only 2023 game I've played is TotK, and I'm still very early in that.

Seems like it's been a great year though. Really looking forward to enjoying all of 2023's masterpieces in late 2025.

ssringo

Resident Evil 4R
Street Fighter 6
Diablo 4 (story mode only)

Everything else I played is sitting in the "it was fine" category but not necessarily going to be a top 5. Still several coming in the next few months I'm really looking forward to.

Raven117

Haven’t played a ton.

Zelda, ffxvi, Hogwarts.

Zelda and ffxvi so far being tied for one. Starfield and bg3 looking quite promising.

Pretty amazing year for games.

GymWolf

Not in order:

Tokt
dead space\re4 remake
atomic heart
diablo 4
Dead island 2\hogwarts

I can see starfield, spidey 2, remnant 2 or BG3 taking the place on the list of any of those games.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Haven't played enough to really make a good list yet.

Two things are for certain though:
Best thing I've played so far is GT7 VR
TotK isn't even the top 5

Last edited:
Subject to change, since I haven't beaten all of them yet.

1. RE4 - Because I actually played this one to completion and loved it, it needs the top spot.
2. TotK
3. Diablo 4
4. FF 16
5. Dave the Diver

Lots of these could be getting the boot in the next few months. Been a great year.

1. TotK - Not my favorite Zelda game but an amazing accomplishment, and one that all games will now be measured against.
  2. Octopath Traveler 2 - Much better than the first game. Lots of magical moments.
  3. Hogwarts Legacy - One could spend hours just walking around the school in amazement.
  4. Final Fantasy XVI - A fun action game, but not a very good RPG.
  5. TBD

Roberts

I hadn't had the time to play a lot of new stuff but:

Hi-Fi Rush is the best so far

The other four probably would be one of these: Diablo IV, RE4, Atomic Heart, Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun, Loop Hero, Benedict Fox, Planet of Lana

Tears of the Kingdom, Metroid Prime Remastered, and Theatrhythm: Final Bar Line are the only three games I've finished and they were all excellent. Still quite a few upcoming I'm pretty excited for, highly unlikely TotK gets knocked out of the top spot but you never know.

Xellos

Only games I've had time for this year are Zelda and RE4:Remake. RE4 was great, better than the original in some ways. Zelda is good too, but it's massive. I'm probably less than halfway through even though the system clock shows > 60 hours.

Hudo

Top 5 of 2023 (so far):
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
  • Resident Evil 4 Remake
  • Advance Wars 1+2: Re-Boot Camp
  • Dead Space (2023)
  • System Shock Remake

Surprise of the year (so far):
  • System Shock Remake
Disappointment of the year (so far):
  • Company of Heroes 3

Last edited:

Stamps1646

• Returnal *PC: With this, I had a great start to the year. I really enjoyed this game's difficulties and plot. The fact that I could go back and unlock more story, skills, and items after I finished the game made it particularly memorable.
  • Hogwarts Legacy: Being a lifelong fan of wizards and fantasy, I felt a sense of belonging in this world. It was enjoyable to learn magic, interacting with teachers and other NPCs, exploring, and questing. The moment you get to ride a broom, mind blown fun
  • Halls of Torment: Auto shooter with retro visuals similarities of early Diablo, permanent gear, finding gear, playing unique classes to play over the course of 30-minute sessions.
  • The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom: Breath of the Wild didn't appeal to me, primarily because of the story design, shrines, the clutter of equipment, and the durability of the weapons. As a whole, this adventure seemed more enjoyable. The story, shrines, npcs, adventuring, fusing, and crafting. This was a more positive overall experience for me, even though it carried over the things I did not enjoy from BotW.
  • Tom Clancy's The Division 2: Returned to it after a three year break. I returned because of the new episodes and content, and it's been interesting to see all the changes that have occurred since I left and what the future may hold. I love tactical combat games and this one excels on so many levels.

Last edited:
My top so far that released this year are:

RE4R - goty so far
System Shock Remake
Final Fantasy 16
Atomic Heart
Jedi Surrvivor

BUT the best are yet to come. Pretty sure all these 5 will drop below the upcoming releases. RE4R will prolly remain in top 5 tho.

Last edited:

Tg89

Been a hell of a year, and I still have a couple things in the backlog. So far...

1) TOTK - Easy choice for this one, at least. Still chipping away at it and will probably be doing so for most of the year I'd imagine. One of the best games I've ever played.
2) Metroid Prime Remaster - finally got the remaster of what I consider one of the greatest games ever and they absolutely nailed it. Not quite a remake but also far more than I would have expected we got out of a remaster.
3) Final Fantasy XVI - Fantastic combat, great music, top tier audiovisual game.
4) Street Fighter 6 - Such an improvement from V. Suck at the genre but I've been booting this up for a few hours here and there since it came out.
5) Resident Evil 4 - Another great remake. Not quite as good as 2, imo, but fantastic game regardless.

HM:

Dave the Diver - Not done with it yet but the game is great, could see it pushing into the top 5.
Dead Cells: Return to Castlevania - perfect DLC pairing for one of the best indie games ever
Returnal PC - Would be top 5 but I played it so recently on PS5 already. Still nice to have it available on PC.

Still need to play:

Dead Space
Hogwarts
Jedi Survivor
Octopath Traveller 2

Be interesting how the rest of the year shapes out. TBH I can't see the last half topping what we've gotten so far but I'm sure BG3 will absolutely slap. SMRPG Remake will be amazing too.

Last edited:

acm2000

1. Atomic Heart
2. Hi-Fi Rush

2023 hasnt been that great for me personally for new games at least since i have very little interest in remasters, everything else ive played has been older games catching up via game pass after skipping the whole last gen.

now just waiting for Starfield, Alan Wake 2, Forza and Cyberpunk DLC to finish off the year.

Last edited:
Top Bottom