• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 of 2023...

Fbh

The only new games I've bought/played this year are:

1: TotK
2: Fire Emblem Engage

I bought FFXVI but I'll be waiting to finish TotK before I start it.

KàIRóS

1. FFXVI
2. Octopath Traveler II
3. Wo Long Fallen Dynasty
4. Jedi Survivor
5. One Piece Odyssey

Damn so many good games in 2023 I'll just throw a Top 10

6. Zelda: TOTK
7. Wild Hearts
8. Atomic Heart
9. RE4 Remake
10. Howgarts Legacy

Bonus: Mega Man Battle Network Collection and the FF Pixel Remasters

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
1. Resident Evil 4. OG is GOATed and so is this magnificent remake.
2. Metroid Prime Remastered. Not a remaster but a faithful and beautiful remake of a masterpiece.
3. Street Fighter 6. The best overall launch package of any fighting game ever. And it will age like fine wine.
4. Killer Frequency. I love horror, slashers, the eighties and a good whodunit. Which is ...well the whole ass game haha!
5. Tears of the Kingdom. I never liked BOTW. It's sequel improves on about everything and adds what was missing. Still not my preferred formula for Zelda but hey...

Haven't played some of the big boys like Diablo IV or Final Fantast XVI but I have a feeling my top 5 would remain the same lol

Last edited:

Gandih42

Haven't finished any of them yet but loving them all regardless (can't even reach 5 from 2023).

FFXVI : Playing this one to completion before going back to the others. Loving the shit out of the gameplay, story and visuals. And thinking of new ways to do sick air juggle combos with Torgal.

ToTK : Can't wait to dive back in, got to my second temple before picking up FF. I think it'll be a nice change of pace after all that action.

Octopath Traveller 2: Such a perfect sequel to the first game. Got to the latter half of everyone's chapter before starting FF, will probably play this alongside Zelda when I get there.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Bonus) : Was sceptical about the waifus (not my style) but fell completely in love with the game, story, and world (DLC too) . I'm itching to finally play the third game but at my current pace, I'll be lucky to get to it this year.

Aion002

1- FFXVI (so far my goty)

2- RE4Remake (pretty good)

3- Hi-Fi Rush (fun)

4- Exo Primal (yes... most people hate it, but I am enjoying it quite a bit)

5- Wo Long (Nioh is way better, this game is quite flawed, but I still had fun with it)

Memorable mentions: Dredge (a unique game, I have to play more, but what I played so far was quite good) and Anno 1800 (yes, playing on PC is better, but it's a good game, even on consoles).

Neff

1. Resident Evil 4
2. Resident Evil 4
3. Tears of the Kingdom
4. Street Fighter 6
5. Resident Evil 4

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
1. TOTK - modern masterpiece that improved upon BoTW
2. SF6 - finally a great fighting game with great online and the option to not play against WiFi warriors.
3. Diablo 4 - lots to like. I feel like I got my money’s worth even if I never bother with their battle pass or seasonal characters.
4. Octopath 2 - beautiful game with great combat and competent writing.
5. Dave the Diver - Very fun and engaging gameplay loop. Charming little game.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Ive really liked my time with Dead Island 2. Much more than Dying Light 2.

The environment and world design are so much fun and well executed. You go through Beverly hills and actual mansions, Venice Beach and the boardwalk, Hollywood, the Santa Monica Pier with the rides going. It's all just cool shit to explore and interact with, and you can tell the developers had a lot of fun creating the worlds to explore.

A nice breath of fresh air imo. Highly recommend.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
1. Theatrhythm Final Bar Line
2. Star Trek Resurgence
3. Fire Emblem Engage
4. Octopath Traveler 2
5. Hogwarts Legacy

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
1. Resident Evil 4
2. Dead Space
3. Hi-Fi Rush
4. Hogwarts Legacy
5. Like A Dragon: Ishin

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Haven't really been playing anything new this year that I would put in for game of the year.

Chained Echoes released last year and I only played it this year so maybe that counts, lol.

However, BG3, Starfield and Spider-Man 3 are coming this year so the year may get redeemed.

Sakura

In no order:

TotK
Houkai Star Rail
Diablo 4
Heaven Burns Red (technically released last year, but the content that came out this year has been A tier)
SFVI

I'm sure BG3 will be on there once it comes out.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
1 Starwars Survivor
2 Lightfall
3 Diablo 4
4 Hogwarts
5 lightfall (gets 2 spots)

Quezacolt

1- Zelda Tears of the Kingdom
2- Resident evil 4 remake
3- Dead space remake
4- Xenoblade 3 Future Redeemed
5- Final fantasy XVI

SolidQ

1. Resident evil 4
2. Afterimage

Waiting room
1. Robocop
2. Lies of P
3. Atlas Fallen
4. Alone in th dark

Waiting in 2025 for big discount 70%+
1. Octopath 2
2. Jedi Survivor
3. Dead Space
4. FF 16 (PC)

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
1. Zelda: TotK
2. Metroid Prime: Remaster
3. Hi-Fi Rush
4. Ghostwire Tokyo
5. Atomic Heart

Outside of Zelda I’m expecting things to change a lot by the end of the year. And I still need to play Diablo 4 and Resident Evil 4R.

1. Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
By far the best Action RPG mechanically that I have ever played. It released last year for consoles, but wasn't ported to PC until this year. It realizes the potential of what Final Fantasy titles have been aiming to become since Final Fantasy XII. It is also a great remake of the game that started the franchise.
maxresdefault.jpg

2. Lies of P Demo
An atmospheric Bloodborne clone set in a dystopian reimagining of the tale of Pinocchio. Its a surprisingly competent action game with higher quality production values than the game that inspired it and interesting implementations of original mechanics. The demo was only an appetizer, but I am simultaneously mesmerized and left salivating for the main course.
lies-of-p-gameplay-trailer.jpeg

3. Resident Evil 4 Remake
A remake that sometimes misses the mark for presentation, but succeeds in delivering better designed levels, more in-depth gameplay mechanics, and a more polished experience.
06n4R7gORrJqjOk9F2XkoBX-4.fit_scale.size_1028x578.v1679059950.webp

4. Hi-Fi Rush
A fun hack and slash with a Saturday morning cartoon plot, style, and cast. Its high energy presentation reminds me of playing No More Heroes for the first time. Fortunately, it comes equiped with more advanced and polished gameplay mechanics.
HFR_Chai_Whirlwind_in-body.png

5. Hogwarts Legacy
An unexpectedly successful release with high quality production values, decent plot, and interesting characters. It offers a fun trip back to the castle in a different time period while expanding on other aspects of the wizarding world.
Screen_Shot_2022_03_17_at_5.03.39_PM.png

Honorable Mention
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty has gameplay on par with Nioh while also capturing the feeling of conquest and comradery in a fictionalized version of Chinese imperial history. Unfortunately, its simplified mechanics, lacking elemental skills, and overreliance on parry step in boss fights cause it to fall short.
wo-long-escape-from-the-capital-battle-flag-1.jpg

P.S. I am disappointed that there are no great fighting games releasing this year. Fortunately for me, last year's King of Fighters XV keeps getting better with more DLC and mods.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Have barely played anything this year. Just not my style games.

RE4 Remake
Burning Shores

Waiting on Alan Wake 2 and SpiderMan 2

Hero_Select

1. Tears of the Kingdom
2. RE4 Remake
3. (Will probably be Baldurs Gate 3)
4. Jedi Survivor
5. Hi-Fi Rush

Honorable Mention: FF16. Good game but I ultimately have ended up feeling disappointed by it.

Alpha Male

Jedi Survivor
Hogwarts
Tears of the Kingdom
Age of Wonders 4
Super Mega Baseball 4

Honorable Mention goes to Age of Empires 2

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
1. Strangers of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin
By far the best Action RPG mechanically that I have ever played. It released last year for consoles, but wasn't ported to PC until this year. It realizes the potential of what Final Fantasy titles have been aiming to become since Final Fantasy XII. It is also a great remake of the game that started the franchise.
maxresdefault.jpg

2. Lies of P Demo
An atmospheric Bloodborne clone set in a dystopian reimagining of the tale of Pinocchio. Its a surprisingly competent action game with higher quality production values than the game that inspired it and interesting implementations of original mechanics. The demo was only an appetizer, but I am simultaneously mesmerized and left salivating for the main course.
lies-of-p-gameplay-trailer.jpeg

A remake that sometimes misses the mark for presentation, but succeeds in delivering better designed levels, more in-depth gameplay mechanics, and a more polished experience.
06n4R7gORrJqjOk9F2XkoBX-4.fit_scale.size_1028x578.v1679059950.webp

4. Hi-Fi Rush
A fun hack and slash with a Saturday morning cartoon plot, style, and cast. Its high energy presentation reminds me of playing No More Heroes for the first time. Fortunately, it comes equiped with more advanced and polished gameplay mechanics.
HFR_Chai_Whirlwind_in-body.png

5. Hogwarts Legacy
An unexpectedly successful release with high quality production values, decent plot, and interesting characters. It offers a fun trip back to the castle in a different time period while expanding on other aspects of the wizarding world.
Screen_Shot_2022_03_17_at_5.03.39_PM.png

Honorable Mention
Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty has gameplay on par with Nioh while also capturing the feeling of conquest and comradery in a fictionalized version of Chinese imperial history. Unfortunately, its simplified mechanics, lacking elemental skills, and overreliance on parry step in boss fights cause it to fall short.
wo-long-escape-from-the-capital-battle-flag-1.jpg

P.S. I am disappointed that there are no great fighting games releasing this year. Fortunately for me, last year's King of Fighters XV keeps getting better with more DLC and mods.
SOP is sooo good and slept on.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
From what I've played so far (at no paticular order and not a proper Top 5 of this year yet - cuz it's not over):

Dead Space Remake
Resident Evil 4
Hi-Fi Rush
Vengeful Guardian Moonrider
Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
1. RE4
2. SF6
3. Dead Space Remake
4. Tears of the Kingdom
5. Diablo IV

Wo Long had some minor problems. No spoilers, but that last boss killed the mood of the entire game for me. I would nominate the Pixel Remaster of FFV, but it feels too much like a low blow from my thoughts about XVI. I am kinda bummed about XVI, so it doesn’t get a spot on my list.

Last edited:

Raonak

Banned
  1. FFXVI - Honestly the most fun action-rpg i've played. They really did a fantastic job with the combat system and the boss battles.
  2. PSVR2 games - Such a great improvement over PSVR1.
  3. ????

Last edited:

Neolombax

Jedi Survivor
Diablo 4
FFXVI

Have been playing a lot of older games on PS Plus. Looking forward to Remnant 2, Armored Core 6, Space Marines 2, and Spiderman 2.

CashPrizes

1. Almost certainly going to be Baldur's Gate 3
2. Diablo IV, if it had nailed everything it might be #1, but the endgame is not quite there yet, still certainly a lot better then how Diablo III launched and that game really got there a few years on
4. Zelda:TotK
5. Probably Starfield. If Starfield completely annihilates my expectations for it and is like way way better then Fallout 4 and rivaling Skyrim, could move to #2

Shout out to Horizon: Burning Shores and Deadspace (altho it is such a copy paste remake, just kind of feels like a remaster. Whereas RE4 feels like an entirely new game that just shares the same story).

mxbison

Will probably stay in the Top 5:
1. Hi-Fi Rush
2. Zelda TotK

Likely to be replaced later this year:
3. Street Fighter 6
4. Diablo 4
5. Wo Long

Not played yet:
Final Fantasy 16
REmake 4

Alright enough acquisition talk. Back to the best year in gaming since 2017. Before BG3 and Starfield destroys all perception of finishing any other games this year, what is gafs top 5 of 2023 that you actually finished. Yes Im cheating including a 2022 game but in my defence, games are long af now.

1) Resident evil 4 Remake
Never played the original so all of it is brand new to me. Best resident evil since re2make

2) Jedi: Survivor
Cal Kestis second game was excellent throughout. The level design was approaching fromsoft levels of intricacy. Cast was likeable and the personal story towards the end was a breath of fresh air instead of saving the galaxy against the empire bs.

3) Street Fighter 6
Really cool yakuza like campaign and I keep replaying arcade mode with different characters. Best fighting game Ive played in years.

4) Plague Tale Requiem
Played it late due to god of war but godam is this a better story than ragnarok. Most harrowing game since last of us 2 especially the run to the ending. Utterly depressing.

5) Killer Frequency
Small indie game where you are a dj in a radio station saving people from a serial killer. The coziest game with 80's inspired soundtrack. The vibe was really cool and voice acting was strong throughout.

Ill be finishing up Oxenfree 2 and Ffxvi before august, so cant speak to those yet.
If I didn't like Plague Tale 1 did 2 change it up enough? It felt like a walking sim to me and the gameplay was basically nothing. Lock on slingshot, just waiting around

Top Bottom