• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your top 5 of 2023...

Robb

Gold Member
If I didn't like Plague Tale 1 did 2 change it up enough? It felt like a walking sim to me and the gameplay was basically nothing. Lock on slingshot, just waiting around
I would say no, it’s very similar to the first game in terms of gameplay. I was also hoping they’d change things up more and have less forced walking etc. but it seems like that’s the directions they want to go in.

The setting is still very cool though, looks nice and the characters are pretty great. That said I don’t think I’ll play a third entry knowing this is all there is to it.

Labadal

1. Octopath Traveler 2
2. Like A Dragon: Ishin
3. Caves of Lore
4. Jagged Alliance 3
5. Fire Emblem Engage

These are the five 2023 released games that I have played.

Last edited:

Lupin25

1. TOTK - Clear choice so far. Still haven’t fully finished.
  2. RE4 Remake - Firm 2nd spot and a top 3 remake ever
  3. Street Fighter VI - Finally played this, some of the best fun I’ve had in this genre since DB Fighterz
  4. Octopath Traveler II - Amazing sequel
  5. Hi-Fi Rush - I thought about this spot for awhile, and had to give it credit

To round out a hypothetical top 10:
Star Wars Jedi Survivor, Diablo IV, Final Fantasy XVI, Hogwarts Legacy & Dredge. They all have glaring weak points (performance, microtransactions, grinding, etc.) so my top 5 is solidified until Sept. at least, unless Pikmin 4 surprises me.

Am on an RPG spree this year.

Since I can add old games my list would be

1. Wasteland 3
2. Skyrim
3. Divinity Original Sin 2
4. Hifi Rush
5. Monster Hunter Rise/Sunbreak.

Currently playing Witcher 3. With BG3 and Starfield yet to release, it could change.

SpokkX

1. Zelda TOTK
2. Metroid Prime Remastered
3. RE4 remake
4. FF16

With Pikmin 4, Starfield, Baldurs gate 3, Spider man 2, Armored core 6 etc coming up only the top spot is safe I think. I also have not played Jedi and Diablo

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
I'll put ZTOTK in my top 5 since it is a huge world but I keep trying to go back to it and it's really a slog. Not that fun.......just more of the same with some new mechanics

1. Diablo 4
2. Dead Island 2
3. Baldur's Gate 3 (from what I played in EA)
4. Octopath Traveler 2
5. ZTOTK (so far but may drop off).

FF16 right there so far
RE4
Dredge is really good, but pretty early
Dungeons of Aether is fun

Last edited:

BbMajor7th

I've tried most things, but honestly, the only ones that have stuck have been RE4, Rogue Legacy 2 and Dead Space. Diablo IV felt too familiar (I've rinsed II and III), FFXVI felt too linear and railroaded, Hogwarts made a strong first impression but couldn't maintain the momentum... Baldur's Gate III, Starfield and Armored Core VI I'm definitely down for, but I'm really starting to think this industry is losing me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

unlurkified

I don’t know. Get back to me in five years when I’ve finally been able to finish all the good games that will have come out this year. Projections though:

1. Remnant 2 (adored the 1st game so this is a given)

2. Starfield (in a couple years after mods have fixed it)

3. Armored Core 6 (it has to be great cuz Miyazaki)

4. FF16 (haven’t played it yet cuz I want to finish VII Remake first, but DMC’s one of my favorite series so this is like a dream game for me)

5. BG3 (might just topple TW3 for best recent WRPG).

Honorable mentions (sorry, this has got to be allowed):
-Hi-Fi Rush
-RE4R
-Diablo 4
-Helldivers 2
-Spiderman 2
-Alan Wake 2
-Gran Blue Fantasy: Relink

I mean, bois, this year is easily up there and might even top the great years (1997, 2001, 2007, 2015)

Last edited:
The year isn't over so things might change accordingly by the end of the year 2023
But for now it's

1st - FINAL FANTASY XVI
2nd - STAR WARS Jedi: Survivor
3rd - Hogwarts Legacy
4th - Diablo VI

My most anticipated next game and possibly my GOTY will be
ARMORED CORE VI

Gaming Plans for the remaining months
SPIDER MAN 2
STARFIELD
(I hope it won't be a buggy mess)
ALAN WAKE 2
LORDS OF THE FALLEN
BALDUR'S GATE 3
BLASPHEMOUS 2

Roufianos

I'd say Resi 4 is the best game I've played this year, though FF16 was more of an experience as it was brand new.

After that, Star Wars followed by Dead Space.

Only game I've played this year that I'm not listing is Hogwarts, I thought that well and truly sucked.

Still to early into Zelda to say...

Top Bottom