• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Your Top Five RPG

Impotaku

The RPG genre is one i'm pretty much burnt out on nowadays i have played so many over the years that i can't stand a lot of them anymore they all start looking and feeling the same and it's that which puts me off i have seen enough 16bit looking medieval style worlds to last me 10 lifetimes. However some special ones managed to reach me and totally click and doing so i ended up been blown away by them.

1) Persona 5 royal, never even played a persona game till only just recently and i decided to finally dive in what i didn't expect was for it to totally blow me away both in how over the top silly stylish it is but also the really enjoyable story and character development. It has a style all of it's own and it took just one game to totally make me a fan i hope to experience some of the others. So far persona 5 sits right at the top of my list as the best RPG i have played in 44 years of gaming. Everything about it just clicked for me i loved all 150+ hours it went by in a flash because of how much fun i had.

2) Ninokuni shikoku no madoushi, i have played all incarnations of the ninokuni series so far but it was the very first one on DS that totally captivated me i bought it on launch and spent that xmas sat in bed been drawn into the world and referencing back and forth in the book sat on my lap to solve the puzzles. Sometimes i'd end up closing my DS into sleep mode and just get distracted reading the book then remembering that i was still playing and going back into the game. The story was great the characters were fun and endearing as you went about restoring their emotions, the puzzles and side quest content was vast too. The battle system is basic but made up for by the amount of polish the game has in general, i loved tracking down the materials needed for making the floors in the post game dungeon tower it tested your ability to find some of the rarest materials in the game.

3) Keroro RPG: Kishi to Musha to Densetsu no Kaizoku, based on the characters of the Keroro gunsou anime another fantastic DS RPG i loved from start to finish. Story is constantly self referencing RPG tropes and smashing that 4th wall combined with the battle system been stupidly fun and you using cosplay as your movesets and also having the ability to summon namco characters from other games as your magic summons made this one a lot of fun to play. Also used the action fighting system from the tales of series of RPG games..

4) Dragon quest 11, while the battle system is as traditional as it gets to see the world of dragon quest fleshed out like it was in 11 was so nice. I had so much fun i ended up double dipping from the PS4 version and then the switch version to do the entire story over again. The characters and voice acting were great one of the few times i have ever preferred the english voices to their japanese versions, even battling wasn't a grindy chore as the monsters are so delightfully animated that i never tired of seeing them in battle.

5) Elder scrolls Oblivion, this was my first scolls game back when i bought my friends old 360 off him. I wasn't quite prepared for a RPG of this nature it was like been inside a living breathing dungeons & dragons style world that never seemed to end, the amount of times i was just randomly exploring and found some vast underground dungeon was too many times to count. For months and months i lost myself in this world i pretty much lived in there, in the many houses i bought i enjoyed living my fantasy life slowly exploring every mystery i could find. Also a fantastic example of how to do DLC correctly the shivering isles is still one of my most enjoyed DLC additions the surreal world in that made a nice contrast to the main world you played in. While people say skyrim is the better game i prefer the lush enviroments in this more as i started to get tired of the dull bleak landscapes of skyrim. Yeah it's a great game but oblivion clicked with me a lot more even if it is a little janky around the edges.

Last edited:

Denton

All of these are 10/10 and thus in no particular order (although if you put a gun to my head, I would admit Witcher 3 is my absolute favourite)

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Kingdom Come: Deliverance
Cyberpunk 2077
Vampire: Bloodlines
Fallout 2

Honorable mentions: Mass Effect Trilogy, Fallout 1 and New Vegas, Gothic 2, Deus Ex, Witcher 1 and 2

Last edited:

Rubik8

This is a tough one for me since the line between RPG and action games with RPG elements is so blurry. And generally speaking I don’t really like true RPGs very much. To make this fair (in my mind) I’m leaving out games like Dark Souls and Zelda.

1. Chrono Trigger
2. Final Fantasy VII
3. Skyrim
4. Super Mario RPG
5. Fallout 3

* and I have yet to play Divinity 2, Witcher 3, and Undertale. They are on my list.

Jeeves

When I was narrowing this down it made me think: this might be the genre with the greatest number of masterpieces. And that's coming from someone who only likes JRPGs.

1. Mother 3
  2. EarthBound
  3. Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
  4. Nier: Automata
  5. Xenoblade Chronicles

Shifty1897

RPG's are my favorite genre. After much deliberation, here's my top 5:
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy 6
Witcher 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Persona 5 Royal

Honorable Mentions: FF12, Valkyrie Profile 2, Radiata Stories, Star Ocean: The Second Story, Earthbound, The Last Story, Wild Arms, Persona 4 Golden, Skies of Arcadia, Skyrim

I consider Nier: Automata more of an action game than an RPG, but if that counts then I guess I'd swap it for Xenoblade Chronicles.

Last edited:

Jeeves

I consider Nier: Automata more of an action game than an RPG, but if that counts then I guess I'd swap it for Xenoblade Chronicles.
I have a hard time deciding with that too, honestly. If we don't count Nier I might've thrown in P5R or something. When an ARPG has particularly strong action it feels like it's blurring a line...and it doesn't help that Nier likes to blur genre lines to begin with.

What I really don't understand though is people calling Zelda an RPG. Zelda II aside, does anyone want to explain to me what makes Zelda more of an RPG than, say, Pacman?

FFVII (Great characters and story, for a game)
Morrowind (my first foray into the genre)
FFIX (A beautifully envisioned world with a likeable cast)
FFXV (too easy but the story was underrated)
Baldurs Gate 2 (Fantastic setting with some great characters. Much better than that Divinity Monty Python crap)

Deanington

Morrowind
Phantasy Star ( OG )
KOTOR series
WOW Vanilla
Fifth could range anywhere from FF7 ( only OG FF game I played ), DQ 11 ( Same with DQ and loved it ), Bioware ( Jade and ME ), Elder Scrolls ( Sky and Obliv ), Obsidian ( Fallout SP), Fable, Zelda ( OOT, MM, BOTW loved these but not so rpgish ). So many well knowns etc.

Ixion

1) Final Fantasy X

maxresdefault.jpg

2) Final Fantasy VII

Nibelheim-Sephiroth-Final-Fantasy-VII-Cover.jpg

3) Final Fantasy VII Remake

FINAL_FANTASY_VII_REMAKE_E3_2019_screenshot_6.0.png

4) Demon's Souls Remake

maxresdefault.jpg

5) Final Fantasy XII

maxresdefault.jpg

Honorable mentions:
  • Fable II
  • Elder Scrolls IV and V
  • Mass Effect 1, 2, and 3
  • Final Fantasy IX

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
My list comes with a caveat, I heavily mod most of my games to make them play the way I wish. With that in mind my list may have some controversial choices.

1. Mass Effect (the first one, and only the first one)
2. Fallout: New Vegas (heavily modded)
3. Skyrim (Astronomically modded)
4. Fallout 4 (Astronomically modded)
5. Dragon's Dogma (Lightly modded)
6. Witcher 3 (not modded)

Last edited:

Mozzarella

JRPG are different and if i want to list favorite RPG i think only 1 jrpg will make it, so to be fair i will just separate them.

cRPG:
1- Baldur's Gate 2
2- Fallout 2
3- Arcanum
4- Divinity OS 2
5- Planescape

RPG or ARPG
1- Witcher 3
2- New Vegas
3- Morrowind
4- Deus Ex
5- Dark Souls

Honorable: KCD and VTMB (I really loved them, but they had some major issues cant put them top 5 maybe top 10)
EDIT: Fuck...Forgot Mass Effect 2 and KOTOR. Pffft i dont know
6- Mass Effect 2 and KOTOR :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Hard to give only 5 tbh.

JRPG
1- Final Fantasy 7
2- Final Fantasy 6
3- Chrono Trigger
4- Suikoden 2 (Best one)
5- This spot i dont know what to put, all others are in a big gap between those 4, probably persona 5 or dragon quest? or maybe ff tactics lol.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Zelda BOTW
Call of duty cold war.
Microsoft flight simulator 2020
Footbal manager 2018
Wii sports

Last edited:

Magog.

Banned
1 FF7
2 Oblivion
3 Skyrim
4 Vagrant Story
5 Xenogears

A great RPG instantly sucks you into its world and makes you feel transported to another place full of intrigue and characters you would love to be friends with.

Honorable mention to Deus Ex which to me is more of a story based FPS than an RPG.

Last edited:

GonSama

In no particular order (top 10):
- Bloodborne
- Final Fantasy VII / Remake
- Final Fantasy X
- Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth
- Kingdom Hearts 2
- NieR: Automata
- Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch
- Persona 3 FES
- Persona 5 Royal
- Pokémon Emerald / Pokemon Alpha Sapphire

Last edited:

MeteorVII

5. Final Fantasy VI

MgkAKUp.jpg

4. Persona 5

4L2fq9j.jpg

3. Final Fantasy XV

vTRobD0.jpg

2. Kingdom Hearts 2

KRYF6wl.png

1. Final Fantasy VII Remake

Y4xDFPz.jpg
Actually I changed my mind. (Didn’t realise how overrated FF6 was, plus I COMPLETELY forgot about Ni No Kini..)

So I’m putting Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch at #5.

And an honourable mention to Persona 4: Golden.

Cyberpunkd

Gold Member
Difficult to make a Top5, but that’s part of the charm. In no particular order:

Planescape Torment
Final Fantasy VII
Witcher 3
Elder Scrolls: Morrowind
Deus Ex 1

TheContact

1. World of Warcraft
It’s a different game than it was back in vanilla but it’s still the best mmo out there, and thus my favorite rpg

2. xenogears
I’ve beaten this game from start to finish over 10 times. It’s got so many flaws and issues but the soul of the game makes up for it

3. ultima online (97-2000)
The first mmo I’ve ever played. I would wake up at 6am on weekends and just play all day. Lot of memories playing this game still

4. Chrono cross
A terrible sequel but still an amazing rpg. The soundtrack is legendary and the art is beautifully hand drawn—a prerendered relic of the past.

5. ff7 (psx)
It’s arguably the best jrpg ever created still to this day. It has some localization issues and development problems but it’s still an incredibly fun game to play to this day

Psos

Neo Member
In general, I don't like RPG's because of their overwhelming length and walls of text everywhere. But when they have some action or tactics elements it could be entertaining for me.

1. Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
2. Divinity: Original Sin
3. Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden
4. Fallout 4
5. Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings

Onironauta

I have a hard time deciding with that too, honestly. If we don't count Nier I might've thrown in P5R or something. When an ARPG has particularly strong action it feels like it's blurring a line...and it doesn't help that Nier likes to blur genre lines to begin with.

What I really don't understand though is people calling Zelda an RPG. Zelda II aside, does anyone want to explain to me what makes Zelda more of an RPG than, say, Pacman?
I think the definition of RPG is pretty subjective nowadays.
Zelda has some RPG features like side-quests, NPCs, upgradeable HP/MP, many collectible items (mostly in SS and BotW i guess), non linear progression to some degree.
I'm curious, what makes you think NieR:A is more of an RPG than Zelda games?

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Dark Souls 2
Dark Souls
Dark Souls 3
Bloodorne
Mass Effect 2

maybe Demon Souls will be up there once I play it

Halo0629

Man it's hard making just top 5 so...

Witcher 3
Skyrim
Persona 4 golden
Final Fantasy 9
Divinity Original Sin 2

Only 5? Tyrant.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy
Planescape: Torment
The Witcher 3
Cyberpunk 2077
KOTOR 2

Honorable mention because it sucks in a lot of ways but shines in many other areas:
Alpha Protocol - gods, I wish more rpgs would copy the dialogue in this game. Still my all time favorite dialogue system.

Jeeves

I think the definition of RPG is pretty subjective nowadays.
Zelda has some RPG features like side-quests, NPCs, upgradeable HP/MP, many collectible items (mostly in SS and BotW i guess), non linear progression to some degree.
I'm curious, what makes you think NieR:A is more of an RPG than Zelda games?
It's got more of the typical RPG trappings such as exp and deeper combat customization -- you're thinking and making choices about combat even when you're not directly in battle. Certainly the line has blurred as the years have gone by and ARPGs have stepped further from traditional RPG elements while action games now have widespread skill trees and crafting and whatnot, but if we're drawing the line somewhere, I'd say Nier and Zelda are on opposing sides of that line.

I still see people listing OoT in this thread. I've seen people calling OoT one of the best RPGs for decades, and the mind boggles every time I see it. Is it just because the protagonist is an elf with a sword and magic powers? As far as character progression goes, it's about on the same level as Metroid. Do we call Metroid an RPG as well?

Laptop1991

Skyrim with Mods
Fallout New Vegas with Mods
Oblivion with Mods
Fallout 3 with Mods and
either AC Origin's or Odyssey or both which are rpg very lite.

Last edited:
- Skies of Arcadia
- Tales of Symphonia
- Star Ocean 4 (I know this was not received well, but I've loved the setting and the exploration)
- Dragon Quest VIII
- Star Ocean 3

Top Bottom