• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're given $5 billion to buy Sega or Konami. Who are you choosing?

Who would you buy?

• Sega

Votes: 171 63.8%
  • Konami

Votes: 97 36.2%

• Total voters

Aenima

Sega and that was not even close. I love some Konami IPs too, but all they original creators already left, so anything new coming from konami is a big question mark.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Metal Gear Solid imo is an overrated series made by an overrated game director who couldn't make it in the movie industry. So instead he came and bored us with his shit story-telling in games. Silent Hill is a shit Resident Evil
what is this hogwash

Griffon

Konami doesn't have any game studio nor talent left, you'd have to rebuild all from scratch.

Sega is already a well established developer/publisher with a lot of great studios.

Knightime_X

Konami don’t even have AAA dev teams so it’s Sega.
There are teams out there just BEGGING to make games owned by other companies.
Companies have a tendency to takedown fan games, claiming they're just protecting their IPs.
Reality is, they're ashamed to admit that fans can and have done better projects.

Sega, of course. I wouldn't want to just buy IPs. Sega has legit studios creating good to great games ( and some crappy ones too). Konami is just licensing their IPs out. I also think people overvalue the IPs that Konami have. Castlevania and MGS aren't considered huge IPs anymore.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
If I want my money returned then Sega. Sonic movies print money. Yakuza , virtual fighter , total war, and more current running successful franchises.

Konami really is castlevania and metal gear. Could make the money back but it’d be harder.

//DEVIL//

Imagine Sony or MS owning :

Castlevania
Metal Gear Solid
Contral
Zone of the Enders
Suikoden
Silent Hill
Bomberman

or , Imagine Sony or MS owning :

Sakura Wars
Street of Rage
Phantasy Star
Shenmue
Virtua Fighter
Yakuza
Outrun
Sonic

Which list is more important to you ?

to me, without a question its Konami, Just for Metal Gear solid alone. Imagine if Sony bought the IPs and Kojima made new Metal Gear Solid.. heh. a proper remake to me alone is worth all the games on this list ( that or Zone of the enders 2 remake )

Sega and I assume this is about Sony buying them!? Lol

I picked Sega because of Shin Megami Tensei/Persona. Sonic can fuck off.

Last edited:

Hugare

Sega doesnt need saving, so Konami

But even from a business perspective, its still Konami.

MGS franchise sold 58 million copies. The Yakuza franchise, Sega's main franchise nowadays, sold 19 million.

And thats without taking in consideration Castlevania or Silent Hill.

I dont even care about the studios, the IPs alone are worth the price.

DeVeAn

SEGA. I would pump out more Sonic games to purposefully upset the whiners that bitch about Sonic games.

Zannegan

Konami has a ton of mismanaged IP, including a personal favorite in Castlevania, but Sega would be more fun to run. It's certainly more bang for your buck too.

I buy Konami and give it to Sony Studios and revive Castlevania Lords of Shadow and make a Super Castlevania V
(And I do not forget to call Castlevania LOS extraordinary musics composer: Óscar Araujo)

Sega is fine on its own
I would say Buy Sega and Give it to Microsoft on a Tuesday.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Sega, and my sole order would be to stop calling Yakuza games "Like a Dragon" in the west... It's so dumb, sounds dumb, feels dumb, ffs 🤦‍♂️

NahaNago

This was kind of difficult to decide. I really would like to explore metal gear solid and especially castlevania but Sega owns atlus. I guess I'll go with Sega.

GeekyDad

Does Sega also do slot machine business? If not, the answer is easy. Turn that $5 billion into $10 billion overnight. And get to make all the Castlevania amalgamations I want with the extra cash.

Killer8

Konami. Massively profitable the last few years so an easy business decision. Sitting on a treasure trove of IP that are just begging to do something with. I'd push for AAA remakes of the original MSX Metal Gears. Castlevania should get a Metroid Dread quality 2D game. Silent Hill and Suikoden are already getting some great things, but I'd go a step further with SH by making a new 4K remaster without the HD collection's issues. I'd also make PES great again like in the PS2 days to undo the EA Sports hegemony.

Surely if you had 5 billion you would have enough to buy Sega and relaunch them in to the console market.

I know it's 20 years ago but MS said they sank well over 500 million back then to launch xbox.

5 billion is a lot of money...

Ronin_7

Konami doesn't have Devs so what are you exactly buying with Konami? The IPs? Paying 5B for IPs seems insane, a perfect Job for Philly Spencer then 🤣👍

xrnzaaas

SEGA is doing fine right now. Konami is the one in need of firing people in charge and focusing on bringing back their most important IP's. I'm glad they woke up about Silent Hill, but the same needs to be done with Castlevania, MGS and many others.

GreatnessRD

• MGS series
  • Castlevania series
  • Silent Hill series
  • Turtles in Time
  • The Winning Eleven series (Before they even fucked up Soccer)
I love Sega forever, but I think Konami could bring the smokes

You would buy neither if you were smart, but if you had to choose you would choose Konami because they can actually make significant money.

People here are choosing Sega emotionally instead of through the lens of a business about to drop $5bill looking for a return.

Sega. No comparison. So much more potential with Sega. If I could just buy Metal Gear Solid for $500 million then that would be a good option but that's all I would want. The first thing I would do if I bought Sega is get Jet Set Radio Future ported over to modern consoles.

Rush2112

Banned
If I was wealthy:

1. Buy Sega
2. Rehire everyone on creative assembly that worked on Alien Isolation
3. Make alien isolation 2
4. Have a cameo of myself in the game.

Top Bottom