• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You're welcome, no problem, or my pleasure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stairs

Banned
When a person expresses his or her gratitude to you, how do you reply?

I find more often than not, that I default to "no problem", with the occasional "my pleasure", but I rarely say "you're welcome".

Also, in before, "I just glare at them."

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Uncharted 2.

No problem.

V_Arnold

I am not a native english speaker (far from it, lol) so whenever I encountered some english-speaker saying thanks, I was a bit confused, not knowing what is "the" phrase to say :D But then I forced myself onto "you are welcome", and it works :D

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
No problem.

I say it too much though and sometimes say it when it's not appropriate. "Have a nice day," "no problem."

/you too
/Brian Regan

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
"Glad to help"

A guy I worked for forced "no problem" out of my vocabulary, because he said it suggested that the person thanking you should assume it would be a problem.
I suppose he was right, but it probably doesn't ever register with anyone. Either way, I like saying "glad to help"

aparisi2274

Stairs said:
When a person expresses his or her gratitude to you, how do you reply?

I find more often than not, that I default to "no problem", with the occasional "my pleasure", but I rarely say "you're welcome".

Also, in before, "I just glare at them."

For some reason I always say "No Worries" which is weird because I assumed that was a british thing and I'm from NYC

You should say "You're welcome" or "My pleasure," it's polite. Saying "No problem" is inferring "I didn't want to deal with you but I'll let it slide".

That being said, I usually end up saying "No problem" but it's a habit I'm trying to break.

Dave Inc. said:
You should say "You're welcome" or "My pleasure," it's polite. Saying "No problem" is inferring "I didn't want to deal with you but I'll let it slide".

That being said, I usually end up saying "No problem" but it's a habit I'm trying to break.

Not really. It's more like saying "No need to thank me, it was my pleasure."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom