• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube demonetizing Gaming channels that curse. (mostly only gaming channels in terms of quantity)

So I was reading boards like Reddit about Youtube kind of going crazy, and I just though it was business as usual. However, when i watched the Angry Joe channel on YouTube, I noticed he had to reupload a video because he was demonetized in the original video for cursing.

It seems like Youtubes is starting to even manually review videos as well.

But what gets me is if you search about the cursing issues you'll find in only the last 8-9 days there are many many youtubers complaining about this issue. Even about sometimes not even cursing at all or barely much more than a few "Damns" or maybe an "asshole" and not just talking about demonetization but suspensions. This is part of YouTube stepping up censorship and control as seen in this thread.

But the part that gets me is that MOSTLY almost all these cases are gaming related videos. Food channels, crazy stunt channels, anti-trump channels, style, beauty, make-up, tutorial, fix it vlog channels. Trans and LGBT channels especially seem to have complete immunity in most cases. Along with spanish channels.

It isn't very surprising though, people have been going after big gaming celebrities for awhile now and apparently that's where most of the advertising and adsense checks are going to so it seems they are trying to get that under their control so that they can regulate Youtube in a way the top brass prefer.

But the issue with that is YouTube no longer becomes what it's advertised as. Sadly, there aren't any alternatives these days, yet, that could give YouTube a smack in the face and make them come back to reality (even though Dailymotion claims to get a 3rd of YouTubes audience but view and sub count don't support that) .

Of course my issue is that this makes people who live off gaming and the hobby of gaming in general seem like toxic or bad people, while making them create less content, and possibly being broke.

It's likely the death of not only smaller channels, but mid-sized channels, and old favorites that have been with us since 2008-201l.

kingbean

The only youtube content I watch is gaming related. I guess youtube want's them all to be PG or destroy their output.

Nothing like telling the people that help you make money not to do the thing that got them an audience.

Fucking idiots.

These people want the world sanitized. Sorry but it just doesn’t work like that. The world is not safe.

Codes 208

These days I usually only watch vanoss gaming (which has a ton of swearing) and each of the vanoss crew keep getting screwed over by youtube despite bringing in revenues for them with each having between 2-14mil followers (vanoss and h20 delirious being on the high end of the spectrum) the latter of whom I even draw comics for (and him retweeting my shit is what’s been helping get my name out) so it sucks hearing when they go through this shit.

It’s going to get to a point where monetization won’t be enough to make a decent living and these figureheads will either Leave youtube or stop altogether.

Last edited:

kingbean

It's like we are going backwards into some strange technicolor puritanism.

The best part is it's being led by the party of people that in the 60s and 70s were all about free love and rampant drug use.

Actual puritanical christian conservatives don't give a flying fuck about games anymore.

Fbh

In 10 years covering or showing violent games will be forbidden too, then gaming channels which use humor will be banned because humor can be offensive , then negative reactions and opinions will be banned because they fuel negativity and bad feelings followed by a ban on reviews because judging what others have made is bad.
Ultimately gaming videos will be banned because they don't promote a productive lifestyle.

To survive, angry Joe will have to rebrand his channel as "positive Joe" where he covers vegan diets, recycling and social activism

Last edited:
Aww poor whittle wootubers have to be nice nice or they won't get they dockets. I feel soooooo bad for them. (hand jerking off emote)

xrnzaaas

I thought this was already happening for some time?? It seems like there are three types of gaming channels on youtube - the ones that avoid any curse words, the ones that bleep them (or are at least try), and the ones that don't give a fuck because they rely on patronite or other means of income (like Jim Sterling's channel).

matheusnienow

Neo Member
And things like that is why I don't like services like Google Stadia. Imagine Google having full control of your gaming experience. No cursing allowed, not sexy women, no guns, no blood...

OldGamer

The best way to get around this is to use censor bleeps. Gives the impression that Youtube is doing the censoring ond not Joe, plus it still gets the intent across. Because one of the most appealing parts of such review shows is the raw emotional responses that at least give the illusion of being spontaneous and unscripted.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Smfh instead of freedom gaining ground shit is going backwards and witchhunts on everything are happening. Fuck it let's go back to the times when there was no division between church and state if you really want to get hard-core. This decade has been straight %ussy shit and sensitivity.

Jubenhimer

Recently it seems like YouTube is trying to pander to what they "Think" advertisers want, not what they or the community actually wants. It doesn't matter if Skittles or Old Spice don't mind advertising on edgy or vulgar channels. YouTube's in charge, and YouTube knows what's best for you. You ignorant sack of shit /s.

When will the monopoly end?

Trogdor1123

I wonder if they will start pulling movies with swears from Google Play? No? You mean if it impacts their bottom line it doesn't matter anymore?

I'm really starting to hate Google.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I wonder if they will start pulling movies with swears from Google Play? No? You mean if it impacts their bottom line it doesn't matter anymore?

I'm really starting to hate Google.

I agree but this shit is bigger than Google. Society as a whole is at a crazy point right now where it's trying to revert to old times with how it views and accepts things.

Enjay

Banned
Gonna be honest here, I don't see the world ever getting outraged about youtubers making less money.

Last edited:
Either being a youtuber is a real job and the employer dictates the terms by which they pay you, or it isn't.
Pick one youtubers.

That's what happen with monopolies...since there's no Youtube alternative besides Twitch that has a horrible interface and is specific to gaming...

Jubenhimer

That's what happen with monopolies...since there's no Youtube alternative besides Twitch that has a horrible interface and is specific to gaming...

I think the future of Video sharing will actually be de-centralization. As in, different platforms that cater to different audiences and genres. Sort of like how the de-centralized nature of cable TV networks changed the landscape of Television that had largely been dominated by more centralized broadcast networks back in the 80s and 90s.

Banned
I understand why they've done this, but selfishly, I hate hate hate hearing bleeps in YouTube videos.

Singular7

european.jpg

We need crusaders to make a come-back.

Last edited:

Shakka43

It has nothing to do with parenting, but everything with leftists, politically correcness, etc.

The entire western society has become overly sensitive, snowflaky and whiny.
Which Is honestly ridiculous, nobody swear as much as liberals.

Hmm. I'm worried for AVGN.

As he would say: "What an assload of fuck!"

The best part is it's being led by the party of people that in the 60s and 70s were all about free love and rampant drug use.

Actual puritanical christian conservatives don't give a flying fuck about games anymore.

It's like the dude in Jurassic Park being focused on one raptor, when the raptor he didn't even notice was there is what killed him.

Shaqazooloo

Youtube is a mess right now. Normally I don't really care what changes they make to the platform but lately their current actions have made me really tired of their bs. I'll probably start spending less time on youtube and do other things with the way things are headed.
Hmm. I'm worried for AVGN.
Really hope it doesn't result in censored AVGN episodes, might as well kill the nerd off at that point...

Last edited:

GenericUser

Youtube at this point might think it's invincible, but I'd say things can go downhill for them pretty quick if they continue to walk this path of censorship. They need to know their place and at the end of the day, youtube is a platform to watch videos, nothing a competitor can't do.

It's ridiculous that they banned videos or demonetized them just because they drop a couple of f-bombs in the clip.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
This is nothing new, if Youtube finds the video content is not to the liking of marketeers, they will demonetise. Atheist youtuber Jaclyn Glenn complained about it a lot, for instance.

I wish Vimeo was more of s thing in this case.

I think our Generation (Millenial Snowflakes that is) is causing these problems and YT are complying to them.

Just use your Sign in policies for Adult Content (in this case swearing), instead of punishing those who swear on their own channel. (to Youtube)

THIS IS WHAT IT IS THERE FOR!

Last edited:

Shai-Tan

Banned
Luckily silencing swear words doesn't change comprehension of what was said. I can understand complaining about the extra work however everyone already knows what words to fill in the blank.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
I'm okay with this. Too may morons (like the one posted in OP's video) usually act outraged and curse until they meet their length quota for kids to watch in the background while they play fortnite. The less money these people make the better.

Top Bottom