• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube-gamer PewDiePie made 63 million SEK (~$7.5m) in 2014

Scipio

I'm not a part of his target audience, but I understand his appeal. He is a smart man and (I think) doesn't let the fame/money get into his head.

Ensirius

I'm not a part of his target audience, but I understand his appeal. He is a smart man and (I think) doesn't let the fame/money get into his head.
And being smart about success is so important. Even more when we are talking this level of success.

abczyx

Neo Member
Well if nothing else this shows that the quality and intelligence of the average "gamer" out there is much different than within GAF's small secluded world.And ultimately it's the buying decisions of these people that affect this industry the most.

So you're saying that people not on NeoGAF are all stupid?

My issue with this isn't directly related to him personally, but the skewed relation between work/importance and payment that's found everywhere in the world.

At least he does give a lot to charity, so that's nice.

How does this youtube monetization business work? I thought you can't show anything in those vids if you don't own the necessary rights?

Bluenoser

Don't see the appeal. I understand that he's popular, but WHY is he so popular. General consensus is that the bulk of his audience is young teenage boys, so why desensitize them all to the word "rape"? A legion of Pewdiepie fans growing up thinking "rape" is funny or cool. That's all society needs.

Don't see the appeal. I understand that he's popular, but WHY is he so popular. General consensus is that the bulk of his audience is young teenage boys, so why desensitize them all to the word "rape"? A legion of Pewdiepie fans growing up thinking "rape" is funny or cool. That's all society needs.
According to other comments here, he stopped doing rape jokes years ago

Why the fuck would this even matter?

Don't understand why you're using such rude language against me, but read through the 17 pages of this thread and you'll learn why. It's just a thing that's always brought up when jealous people hear of someone who makes a lot of money, so I figured I would make it clear immediately.

So hey, calm the "fuck" down.

Yes, I did. Making more money playing a game than the people actually making the game. That's my reason, I think it's bullshit.

He's not just playing a game, he's entertaining people while playing a game, for the majority of his audience the game doesn't matter, it's just a tool to deliver entertainment.

It's like saying making more money playing a guitar then the people actually making the guitar is bullshit.

Zakalwe

Banned
The hate he gets is ridiculous. I don't enjoy his persona but he's pretty humble and he seems like a decent guy.

I say well earnt.

My issue with this isn't directly related to him personally, but the skewed relation between work/importance and payment that's found everywhere in the world.

At least he does give a lot to charity, so that's nice.
Entertainment is a very valuable and very needed commodity. It's hard to exactly estimate its "importance."

It really is a job. Uploading multiple videos each day, of different games at the same time. Green screen work, capturing game footage (need lots of hard drive space), video editing, adding flavour to your voice, trying to make jokes, reading comments and making videos about the hateful/weird ones, and donating to charity. I'm surprised he hasn't experienced burnout with the rate he works at.

Zaptruder

Banned
Entertainment is a very valuable and very needed commodity. It's hard to exactly estimate its "importance."

Reduces stress, provides intellectual stimulation, provides points of social connection.

Very quantifiable benefits. Is as big as it is for a reason - even if most people can't articulate its value, they can feel them instinctively.

MrGerbils

He's not just playing a game, he's entertaining people while playing a game, for the majority of his audience the game doesn't matter, it's just a tool to deliver entertainment.

It's like saying making more money playing a guitar then the people actually making the guitar is bullshit.

This is an interesting way to put it.

Shai-Tan

Banned
His target market is young kids - it's not that different from the entertainment between commercials that used to be big on afternoon and Saturday morning tv. It's not surprising that Disney bought the YouTube network he was (is?) a part of. The South Park episode made it clear that we don't understand because we aren't the target market.

Jealous, much?

The guy makes videos aimed at 12 year olds and makes millions. Good for him, who the fuck cares - he's minted for life if he plays it smart.

Kaizu

I have no opinion about Pewdiepie but I felt that the bold line is false equivalency. Designing and programing a game are creative venture but making guitar is just mindless follow instruction manual factory work. Also, I am sure the head designers of Gibson Les Paul guitars are as well off as thousand of bands out there. Not trying to find an argument but just wanted to give my 2 cent to lead in to my next point.

I think people(not me, I have never watch any of his videos) are just piss off because they think Pewdiepie is not as talented and it's unfair that he earns a lot more than other more talented people but that's just how the market works. The amount of money you earn is measured by how much revenue you can generate rather than pure talent.

PlOJbG4.png

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
No probs with Pew Die Pie at all, seems like a good guy who hit the jackpot. Not my thing but it's not aimed at me, fair fuckin play to him for finding a market and appealing to it and makin that moolah. Brotha gonna make a dollar.

Schnozberry

I'm not a fan, but it's not like he's doing anything illegal or coercive. He's just successful and some people can't handle it. Good on him for finding his groove. I hope he saves his money, since this type of fame is generally short lived.

I can guarantee that if we do a teardown of the life of anyone that complains about Pewdiepie, we will find some real evidence that they are just jealous as fuck that he became a millionaire playing video games and they're not.

StarVigil

Good on him. He better make some good money for the amount of hate he gets.
There are people who make way more money than him with stupid reality shows.
He actually works for his money. Plus, he promotes the games he plays.
"I'm not jealous. I'm envious."

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I think you're making it more complicated than it actually is. I'm pretty sure the biggest gripe people have is that the effort to payout ratio is absolutely insane. These are cheap, quick, low effort, easy to make videos of some dude just playing a game and swearing a lot and for some reason he makes MILLIONS of dollars per year.

If a channel like Game Theory was this popular, you wouldn't see the same amount of hate.

This is the absolute top, though.

There's a market for that, and he's #1 in it. By a good margin.

And it's just 7m/yr. - there's a TON of people putting in effort and getting jack shit back, a ton of people trying and for all reasons in the world, failing.

It's a public persona career, and the absolute top pay is 7m? there's better things to get outraged at. Sports players, for instance.

RPGam3r

Nerd culture is slowly mainstream. The traditional 9 to 5 "real job" is becoming a thing of the past.

The thing that makes his job possible is many people doing 9-5 jobs, or way more.

Not even sure how anyone could think 9-5 goes away?

Servbot24

Banned
Well if nothing else this shows that the quality and intelligence of the average "gamer" out there is much different than within GAF's small secluded world.And ultimately it's the buying decisions of these people that affect this industry the most.

All it shows is that the average person over 13 is different than the average person under 13.

Don't forget that your hobby is playing with toys. Small children enjoy those toys as well, meaning you're gonna be in that marketing crossfire.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I only have hard of them due a South Park episode but good for him.
Dude's makin' it work entertaining millions

Lol at the "haters"
EDIT: Dude's from Sweden? Even the Sweden streamers are OP!
My favorite streamer is also from Sweden (Forsen)

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't know how this guy is popular, no body I know watches him, in fact almost everyone hates him. I feel that there is something shady with his video views. (clicks dealer?)

Nobody i know plays halo yet it sells a lot. funny that.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
You can also blame Adblock. Consider that these guys make the money they do with 80% of their viewers using an Adblocker extension on the browser.
Nah, I'll blame the advertisers who pocket a shit ton more than $7.5M. Pewds is getting ripped off.

pants

Is neogaf your 'murica? all this salt is making baby jesus cry lol

Top Bottom