• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube has a new logo, redesigned desktop and mobile app

Guevara

ytlogo_old_new_animation.gif

Google says this new logo – a cleaned up version of the YouTube wordmark and icon – was designed to be more flexible across devices of varying screen sizes. On smaller screens, YouTube can use just the icon alone to abbreviate its logo, while still making it easy to spot. The updated logo and icon are rolling out across desktop and mobile starting today, before arriving on other apps and services, the company notes.

Meanwhile, the desktop redesign introduced in May is now the default instead of an opt-in beta. This upgrade had included rebuilding YouTube on top of the open source JavaScript library Polymer, which will allow Google to more quickly bring new features to market going forward, it had said at the time.

However, for end users, the most noticeable changes were about the way YouTube looked. The upgraded desktop experience leverages Google’s design language, Material Design, which influences things like how the left-side navigation can now be tucked away with a click on the hamburger menu; the size and placement of key elements; and the overall cleaner look-and-feel.

However, the app is getting a number of new features, too....The app will also now include the ability to speed up and slow down the playback of a video, similar to how you can on desktop; and the new player will change its shape to match the video format being viewed. This feature was teased this summer, noting that the rise in vertical video was among the reasons to roll out a more adaptive player.

Example of mobile app resizing to best fit (internet favorite) vertical videos:
mobile-flexible-player.gif

https://techcrunch.com/2017/08/29/y...with-redesigned-mobile-app-new-logo-and-more/

As a side note, they redesigned their tv/console app and it's hot garbage. There's no way to log in to a sub account on it - it's literally not possible when it was possible in the last version.

Flandy

Will they finally let me zoom into 4:3 videos on my ipad that have for whatever reason been letter or pillarboxed to be 16:9

I only hate change when they make it more friendly for fucking vertical videos!

Snapchat is literally Satan for normalizing this

I don't get this. You normally hold your phone vertically and its the easiest way to take a photo or video one-handed quickly. Why wouldn't you want videos to fill that space.

This aren't movies and they're not preventing people from doing horizontal videos
As a side note, they redesigned their tv/console app and it's hot garbage. There's no way to log in to a sub account on it - it's literally not possible when it was possible in the last version.

Is there anyway to merge a subaccount into my main google.

IDK how I have 3 accounts. All my subs are on one of my subs and not my main account.

I really don't do much sharing and would like all my subs on my main account.

Wasn't YouTube always friendly to vertical videos on the phone? I definitely watched vertical videos full screen on YouTube before on my phone. (Or maybe it was the YouTube web site and not the app...)

I only hate change when they make it more friendly for fucking vertical videos!

It's also useful for watching videos of mobile games or other sideways screen games (like shmups or arcade games like Groove Coaster).

epmode

I'm still seeing the old logo on the desktop site and the functionality seems to be about the same. I guess it hasn't rolled out for everyone?

Wasn't YouTube always friendly to vertical videos on the phone? I definitely watched vertical videos full screen on YouTube before on my phone. (Or maybe it was the YouTube web site and not the app...)

Yeah, vertical video has been able to go to proper fullscreen on the iPhone and iPad apps for a while. I guess this is for the non-fullscreen mode.

hotcyder

I like the logo change (more so the icon then the text which is way too heavy looking)

I even like the better support for non-standard video dimensions. Square video forever.

llehuty

I don't get this. You normally hold your phone vertically and its the easiest way to take a photo or video one-handed quickly. Why wouldn't you want videos to fill that space.

This aren't movies and they're not preventing people from doing horizontal videos
Don't bother, one of this popular things to hate online. They never give any reasoning to why there is a problem with vertical videos in the first place. I guess they don't looks as neat in a TV or computer screen? Who cares if the action they are trying to capture is a vertical one.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Don't bother, one of this popular things to hate online. They never give any reasoning to why there is a problem with vertical videos in the first place. I guess they don't looks as neat in a TV or computer screen? Who cares if the action they are trying to capture is a vertical one.

Yeah, but most aren't.

Psxdad

I watch a lot of YouTube on my TV and a couple things that drive me crazy are being able to select individual videos to play in a playlist and not being able to add and remove videos from my watch later. I'd wish they'd fix that without me needing to use my phone.

Rookhelm

I've discovered recently on mobile youtube you can double tap on the left or right side of the video to skip 10 seconds forward or back.

Don't know if that's new, but I love this feature.

Monocle

Has less character. Screws with the pleasing balance of black, red, and white. Makes the text look too heavy.

It's bad. Not as bad as many modern logo changes, but a definite downgrade.

epmode

I've discovered recently on mobile youtube you can double tap on the left or right side of the video to skip 10 seconds forward or back.

Don't know if that's new, but I love this feature.

That really is one of the big reasons to use the app over embedded Safari video.

snap

Banned

it's the fucking worst. on Android TV at least, it went from a native app with 4K HDR support and a decent interface to a web wrapper for www.youtube.com/tv that maxes out at 1080p60 with no HDR support. I had a dedicated Android TV device that I depreciated when I got a UHD TV, the same day I unboxed it is the day they "updated" the Android TV app. Just the worst.

Bluth54

Oh boy a logo and app changes when their new automated contnet scanning system is driving Youtubers away from the platform because they don't make any money on ads anymore.

Redesign is good in theory if the correct shit changes but...

Do I still need to pay ten dollars a month to keep the app running in the background on ios?

And can users disable comments on an account level?

If that ain't changing: nope. Will keep rocking protube.

RoadHazard

Gold Member

Because viewing vertical videos on a horizontal screen (computer, TV, etc) sucks ass. Horizontal video works everywhere.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Actually that's exactly the argument.

Also you capture a lot more action if you turn your phone sideways. Vertical just feels cramped.

Anyway, Twitter is a worse offender with how they display vertical videos in their shitty video stream player mode:
What the hell is this shit? You can't even expand it either. I hate vertical video too but I'm willing to embrace it on mobile as long as app devs get their shit together. I hate Twitter's stream of videos. I clicked on one video, I only want to watch one video. I don't want to watch every single video that person posted one after another automatically. And I want it to fill my screen one way or another whether I have to turn my phone or not. You're doing it wrong, Twitter.

D

Deleted member 144138

Unconfirmed Member
Is there a dark theme for the mobile app?

Top Bottom