• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube has a new logo, redesigned desktop and mobile app

jstripes

Banned
screen.png

That's pretty bad looking.

People are usually hyperbolic about logo redesigns, but this one actually sucks.

Even the greatest design in the world wouldn't help that name.

I'm at work so I can't test/see, but did they update the Xbox or PS4 apps as well? I know there were a lot of requests for those to be updated with modern underpinnings (higher frame rate/resolution support, etc). Can anyone check/ see? Thanks!

I'm at work so I can't test/see, but did they update the Xbox or PS4 apps as well? I know there were a lot of requests for those to be updated with modern underpinnings (higher frame rate/resolution support, etc). Can anyone check/ see? Thanks!

doesnt seemo so, which is a shame since the ps4 app has a bug with 60fps videos

Van Bur3n

I don't like it. I preferred 'Tube' remaining in the red box as I felt it further emphasized it was you in the video. You in control.

Now it's just boring black text with a play button. Like I haven't seen a play button before.

Quick

Banned
I've been using the new desktop design since it was in beta, but forgot to log into my YT account to apply on that. Kept myself logged out (logging in when needed) to continue using the now-default.

Dark mode is awesome.

I don't mind the new logo, as well.

Nozem

They're harder on your eyes.

Try looking left and right without moving your head. Now try up and down.

Things are things for a reason.

This is the dumbest argument ever. These vertical videos are not shown on a giant cinema screen.

AdanVC

Not a fan of the new logo. It is now wider... This trend of changing logos every 2 years or so and making them worse needs to stop. The only exception of a new logo actually being better than the old one is Mozilla's

Mozilla-New-Logo-Comparison-1-796x398.jpg

Brilliant!

Incredible new logo design; instead of highlighting 'tube', they moved the red square to the left.
A masterpiece that surely took the combined artistic power of Google's designers.

Vashetti

Banned
The Verge is reporting that the mobile version has dark mode.

But I can't find the setting (yes I'm running the new update, on iOS)

muteki

So much blank empty space in the desktop version.

I'd figure in 2017 we would have the "present lots of videos" UI down to a science by now.

Quick

Banned
Not a fan of the new logo. It is now wider... This trend of changing logos every 2 years or so and making them worse needs to stop. The only exception of a new logo actually being better than the old one is Mozilla's

https://cdn0.tnwcdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2017/01/Mozilla-New-Logo-Comparison-1-796x398.jpg[IMG]

Brilliant![/QUOTE]

This is the first time YouTube changed their logo.

Looks fine bar YouTube Red and that's mostly because of the awful name

meet the new boss

same as the old boss

minimalism is a cancer on art design
This is hilariously wrong.

Brilliant!
When was the last time YouTube changed their logo?

That Mozilla logo is horrendous.

it's the fucking worst. on Android TV at least, it went from a native app with 4K HDR support and a decent interface to a web wrapper for www.youtube.com/tv that maxes out at 1080p60 with no HDR support. I had a dedicated Android TV device that I depreciated when I got a UHD TV, the same day I unboxed it is the day they "updated" the Android TV app. Just the worst.

It's just awful. I backtracked to 1.3 or 1.4 and turned off auto-update for now. The non-native keyboard also blows.

On topic, I dislike the new logo. It looks too generic now. But more importantly, the new desktop site runs like hot garbage on my one year old laptop with ULV processor.

Van Bur3n

Brilliant!

It's clever, but I only wonder how many people will read it wrong if they aren't familiar with Mozilla.

Asbel

The Verge is reporting that the mobile version has dark mode.

But I can't find the setting (yes I'm running the new update, on iOS)

How do you get to this setting in mobile or desktop? It feels un-intuitive.

edit: Found it on desktop. Should be in settings though..

inm8num2

Random thought but one Youtube feature I'd love would be some kind of statistical summary for subscribed channels and watched videos For example, it would be neat to sort channels by both the total number of videos and percentage of released videos watched in any period (week, month, year). That way users could better manage subscriptions and remove channels that they don't really watch.

I'm on Chrome and the videos look larger and more stretched out. I'm not a fan since it feels like I'm giving the video too much space on my screen.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
New logo is fine but the new desktop is wonderful, been using it for months now. So glad they finally implemented a black theme.

Top Bottom