• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube has a new logo, redesigned desktop and mobile app

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
Whyyyyy Jesús Christ

For the same reason they removed other useful QoL features in the past: because Fuck You, that's why.

Want to customise the home screen so your subscription feed comes up and not some random recommended stuff? Fuck You.

Want to change the size of thumbnails so you can browse more than a couple of results at a time? Fuck You.

Want a dark mode? Fuck You.

You'll take whatever we give you, and you'll like it.

It was weird because the changes where happening in real time for me. I was like, something seems different and bits and pieces of the website was changing.

Glad to know I wasn't crazy

Vashetti

Banned
While YouTube Gaming doesn't have a dark mode, it is perpetually dark.

Hope they add it to the app soon. I'm glad blinding default whites are falling out of favour.

samwyse

Neo Member
reminds me of

Am I crazy?

Yep. It's Marlboro. I was thinking why does the new logo make me feel nostalgic. It's because I've been watching a lot of old F1 lately.

Xt7S9cW.jpg

Purkake4

Banned
Do I need to find another fucking addon to make youtube play at 1080p by default and keep the whole video buffered instead of streaming it?

Camwi

Don't bother, one of this popular things to hate online. They never give any reasoning to why there is a problem with vertical videos in the first place. I guess they don't looks as neat in a TV or computer screen? Who cares if the action they are trying to capture is a vertical one.

I love how you pretend to not know why people have a problem with it, and then give the major reason in the next second. Don't be a douche.

Dr. Buni

The new design broke the Magic Actions extension. :(

Edit: Stretching the screen makes the Magic Actions buttons appear again.

magawolaz

I noticed youtube.com/music started working again for me. For the last few months all I could see was a blank page.

btw, this section had a cool "Liked music" playlist, which filtered all music videos from your "Liked video" playlist.
Do you guys have it? It doesn't appear in my account anymore :(

PillarEN

As far as the desktop is concerned it seems like the page has only gotten a new coat. Features seem to be the same. Would be awesome if I could turn autoplay off on playlists. C'mon Google. I know you guys had it there eons ago. Don't be so lame and force your ads like mad men. It's why I use Youtube Center (developer version). But Youtube Center is currently acting a little glitchy with the new design update so I've turned it off for now.

Darg

Neo Member
The logo color is terrible to be honest, it looks like it's about to bleed, that color should not have been used against the white background. The other changes aren't so great either, it's as if they zoomed in most of the stuff with a zoom button, it's abit too much (talking about desktop here).

Looks like next to "sign in", there is an option where you can go back to the old design. No more stupid left bar, blue video names again and the site is way more responsive/faster.

youtube1bts9n.png

You single? Wanna marry me? Thank you.

New design was pissing me off the very moment i saw it. Damn mobile designed desktop site. Why don´t you tear out my finger nails while you´re at it. Absolute hatred for that shit.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It broke the YouTube Center user script to the point it's a blank, white screen if you try to load any video. Fantastic, so no "turn auto-play off" & losing my preferred video size.

Not a fan of how big/zoomed in everything looks now, especially my subscriptions, & zooming out using Chrome doesn't help when it makes the text too small.

The new layout on desktop is shit. i switched back to the old one right away.
How did you do this, I'd like it to go back it to the previous layout so the user script can keep how I watch videos.

Edit: Found it, gotta click your user circle icon & click "restore old youtube"

I switched back to the old mode. I like having the sidebar on the left always visible instead of just a bunch of negative space. With the new format, I have to press the menu button every single time I get onto youtube just access my subscriptions which is the only tab I really use.

Ovek

7Member7
Whyyyyy Jesús Christ

It's a Google product and makes sense so no.. but also fuck you that's why.

To be honest i'm amazed that they finally added dark mode on the normal desktop site, Google developers seemingly ignore anything that might be usful or good that was suggested by the actual users (how dare they!) of the products.

Sande

So they pretty much pushed a mobile UI to desktop, huh? Everything is massive, there's like less than half of the content on the screen compared to before the update.

I switched back to the old mode. I like having the sidebar on the left always visible instead of just a bunch of negative space. With the new format, I have to press the menu button every single time I get onto youtube just access my subscriptions which is the only tab I really use.
Thanks for pointing this out. I had a quick look and didn't notice the option at first.

kharma45

The one thing I hoped for in the mobile app didn't happen. No button to remove all watched videos from your watch later playlist. Still has to be done on the desktop.

This broke YouTube Center (dev build) for me. It hasn't been playing nice with me for a while now, at least with playlists, but are there any alternatives? I liked moving related videos to the bottom instead of it being on the side, enlarging the player and having it centered at the very top.

Immediately switched back. The Subscriptions Grid plug-in I have installed does not work in this new version of the site. Instant deal-breaker.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
The desktop version seems kind of... zoomed in? I don't know if I'm imaging it. I might switch back though

Guess Who

Banned
Dark mode + full-width Theater Mode is impossible to give up. Can't imagine why folks are switching back to the old design.

Top Bottom