• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube Me Again! (Watch YouTube videos on GAF)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Do you guys have any extensions that may be blocking Soundcloud? Also, it's always helpful to mention which browser you use.

Here's how it looks for me.
31c3yFU.png

Nevermind it installed automatically on Chrome. thanks it works again!

Wait no. It worked once then reverted. Hmm.

Heres what it looks like
the soundcloud part doesnt work for me, but thats ok.
Soundcloud doesn't work on the old versions, which you have installed.

If you can see WebM videos as mentioned in the other thread, then you actually seem to have two versions installed at the same time. Please make sure you remove the old one.

I don't know why the player is all off to the side on your browser. Did you install it as an extension or with Tampermonkey? Look at your extensions or TM for YouTube Me Again! 4 and uninstall it.

The tool bar for YTMA! 5 looks a little different now.

hateradio

Are you sure you don't have older versions of the script installed?

Do the other descriptions work normally, without having to click on it.

Jasconius

Any ideas on why the new version would be getting stuck on all videos saying "Loading data" with white/red striped bar? I removed the old version before installing the new one today and now every video does that.
loadingdata.png

The videos play fine, it's just the descriptions that don't load.

EDIT: This is on Firefox 29

hateradio

Do you have NoScript? If you do, you'll see that YouTube needs to run scripts, otherwise, it's probably something else.

_ _ _

Update 4.99.6

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...a-test.user.js

- Changed the video ID matching system a bit
- Added gfycat.com support

Chrome keeps deactivating the extension because it's not from the official webstore, ugh :/
I'll release the Chrome extension when I release version 5, which shall be in a week or two after a bit more testing.

In the meantime, you can use it with Tampermonkey.

Jasconius

Do you have NoScript? If you do, you'll see that YouTube needs to run scripts, otherwise, it's probably something else.

I do have noscript but everything on the page is already enabled. Even if I allow all scripts globally the same thing happens. :/

Edit: Have also tried disabling all addons except greasemonkey and all other scripts, open to other suggestions.

hateradio

I do have noscript but everything on the page is already enabled. Even if I allow all scripts globally the same thing happens. :/
Can you try it with a different browser to see if it's not something else?

Also try this to troubleshoot:

- In Firefox open the console (SHIFT+CTRL+K). See if there's anything like "cannot send xhr" on the list.

- When you open a video, click on the ! to change your settings. Set it to never load descriptions, then refresh the page.

- Go to a video and try clicking on "Load description."

- Does that load descriptions? Otherwise look at the console to see if you get an error.

Also, click on the Network tab. Are there any requests to YouTube?

Jamie OD

Switched on the computer today and got a message on Chrome that the app is now disabled because it did not come from the Chrome Store. Has this happened to anyone else?

hateradio

Like I said, in the meantime, use Tampermonkey.

I'll release an extension once I finish finding any other miscellaneous bugs within a week.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I installed the new version in Safari (Using NinjaKit) and it still requires Flash. How can I force it to use HTML5? I don't want Flash running on NeoGAF. (I really don't want Flash running anywhere at all to be honest.) The "Use Flash" checkbox is not enabled.

It defeats the purpose of Safari and OS X's super awesome battery saving features if I'm still loading up a clunky battery guzzling Flash plugin.

:(

The worst part is when I used the YouTube5 extension and this script, it forced it to display as HTML5. But now that YouTube5 has pretty much died and become abandoned I switched to YouTube Center, which works great, but doesn't force HTML5 on external sites. I can't win. (YouTube Center is also so much better anyway.)

hateradio

The Flash option is more for mobile devices, since YT will send whatever it wants to PC users. However, newer versions of Chrome seem to get HTML5 players, but it then doesn't respect the quality option.

You can't win with YT sometimes. 😔

red731

And I am still on 4.1
KuGsj.gif

Will upgrade once your new version is up. Good job hateradio.

ed: 11.6. morning - and it is not working as is written above :)

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
The Flash option is more for mobile devices, since YT will send whatever it wants to PC users. However, newer versions of Chrome seem to get HTML5 players, but it then doesn't respect the quality option.

You can't win with YT sometimes. 😔
Does it work by embedding an embedded Iframe or something? Surely there's a way to force it to allow HTML5. I'm going to blame YouTube Center though. Especially since YouTube5 was able to do it. In fact, YT5 worked on every site with embedded YouTube videos. But it used its own player instead of the official YouTube HTML5 version which is designed to look like the Flash version.

I don't know if it's because of the way Safari handles blocking Flash. I don't have Flash turned off, it's on but it blocks on a site by site basis. I can choose which sites to block it on. The problem is some sites only check to see if Flash is disabled. Since it's not disabled, it assumes I have Flash, which Safari then personally blocks itself until I allow it.

It wouldn't be a major problem if Safari had an "Only allow this time" option. Then again, Safari also has to reload the page when allowing Flash anyway so it probably would still not work. I'll have to either keep Flash turned on for NeoGAF which would pretty much say goodbye to my awesome battery life, or keep it turned off and not know what videos are being linked to. I guess the compromise is to just keep YouTube Me turned on for previews and just click the links themselves instead of watching inline.

hateradio

When you disable the Flash option, the script uses an iframe to embed the player, instead of the object tag. Since YT defaults to Flash in most cases, and since it has better compatibility on PC, I keep the object as the default.

With the iframe, Google now tries to detect browser features so it will send what your browser can actually play. However, like I mentioned, automatic HTML5 players really only seem to work on Chrome for now. I don't think there's ever been a reliable way to get HTML5 at all times.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When you disable the Flash option, the script uses an iframe to embed the player, instead of the object tag. Since YT defaults to Flash in most cases, and since it has better compatibility on PC, I keep the object as the default.

With the iframe, Google now tries to detect browser features so it will send what your browser can actually play. However, like I mentioned, automatic HTML5 players really only seem to work on Chrome for now. I don't think there's ever been a reliable way to get HTML5 at all times.
Using YouTube's actual "HTML5" option never worked for me. It would give me maybe 1 out of every 10 videos as HTML5 and the rest Flash.

But using these extensions, first YouTube Options, then YouTube5, now YoUTube Center, will give me Flash 99.9% of the time with the extra 0.01% being videos that literally have no H.264 versions (i.e. very old videos that only have 360p options) so it's great.

But YouTube5 would somehow force even external sites that embed, including your script here, as HTML5. For some reason YouTube Center does not. Which sucks.

Also, I'm on Safari. Not Chrome. I wouldn't ever consider going back either. I'd rather live with only having a thumbnail preview via your script than ever go back to Chrome or Firefox. But that's another discussion altogether. lol

hateradio

Sorry for the lack of updates!

Final test preview.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14626536/userscripts/ytma-test.user.js

Changes

• URL matchers are more consistent
  • New favicon for Soundcloud
  • Modified some CSS
  • Videos of the same ID will now open and close on first view/first close
  • Vines do not open by default
  • Removed comments from Soundcloud players, reducing CPU use

I'll release the extension in a few days if no one has any issues.

hateradio

Does anyone here use this script with Chrome/Opera?

I recently started testing it with those browsers, but whenever I view a page with many HTML5 videos, it crashes. I didn't notice this before, but even if I use an older test version, it still seems to crash.

eg: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797609&page=45

That page crashes the tab no matter what I modify. It's really strange.

Update: It seems that Blink/WebKit die on some of these videos.

http://a.pomf.se/zbqobs.webm

However, I tried it on my Mac and it worked fine, so maybe it's just on Windows.

Schrade

That is a VP9 video specifically. The reason I know this is because Pale Moon doesn't support those yet and they don't load/display.

So perhaps VP9 support in those browsers (Chrome/Opera) are still a bit buggy.

hateradio

It works fine on Firefox/Cyberfox, and, like I said, Opera on Mac.

But on Windows it seems to cause Chrome to crash. I wonder if I should blacklist that site on Chrome.

Update: It seems to be a Blink issue. Previously Opera 21 did not have a problem playing these videos, but Opera 22 (which was released a month ago) does. I'm assuming it's the same for Chrome.

hateradio

Apparently it was removed from the web store because of a branding issue.

I'm not really sure what that means since the page they linked to is vague. I wasn't reusing their logo. I have seen other extensions with the name YouTube, so I don't see that as a problem, so it may have been the description, but that doesn't make sense. And the screenshots were of an embedded video, so it should be fine to use that. I sent back an email to inquire more about it.

Is anyone familiar with this?

https://developer.chrome.com/webstore/branding

Update: I created a fluffy description for YTMA. We'll see when it gets approved.

RankoSD

Is there a way to disable this notification, it pops every time when there is a YT video on the page?

FS9gW78.jpg

And I don't want to update it because the new version doesn't load the video data for me so I switched it back but get this annoying notification every time.

hateradio

Is there a way to disable this notification, it pops every time when there is a YT video on the page?

http://i.imgur.com/FS9gW78.jpg

And I don't want to update it because the new version doesn't load the video data for me so I switched it back but get this annoying notification every time.
Can you try to help me debug it?

Otherwise, you just have to edit the script, by clicking on the GreaseMonkey icon, and left clicking on the script name. This should load an editor.

Look for "update.check();" and delete that line.

Can I ask why you are still rocking FF 19, like man that's old, and FF 31 Is about to be rolled out in a few days.

Anyway I don't think you should expect much support for things breaking when using such an outdated version.

FF>20 broke the TabGroups Manager addon and it is unsupported so will not be updated to work with newer versions. This addon worked before so I guess I could just downgrade to an earlier version.

hateradio

Firefox 19.0.2
Such an old browser, that it seems to not work well directly with data attributes.

However, I made a change that fixes this issue.

seems like there's a glitch with spoiler wrapped links
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=762
Links in spoiler tags do not get converted, but I notice that isn't quite how it should do it. I added spoiler tags to the blacklist.

So this, too, is fixed.

I'll wait to publish an update if anything else comes up.

Update on the Chrome store: They still won't allow my extension. I think it's because of the name, which would be really annoying.

I'm probably going to call it Embed Me! or something on the web store. 😡

eyeless

this stopped working for me all the sudden and i guess from the fact there's no posts in here it's just me

i'm one firefox 31 and ytma is 5.1

i have to click on links to find out what they are i am in hell

edit: i guess i should have tried removing it then reinstalling it before posting, just didn't think it would be that simple, ah well nvm all good here now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom