• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube vids with "Spiderman, Frozen Elsa, and Joker" routinely get millions of views

Tom_Cody

While looking for videos of the new Spider-man game I stumbled upon one of the strangest phenomena I've ever seen on the internet. Videos with titles like "Frozen Elsa’s POOL SURPRISE! w/ Spiderman Maleficent Pink Spidergirl Joker! Funny Superhero Video" routinely get 10s of millions of views. And these seem to come from a variety of unrelated channels. I tried to google this subject but I was not able to find a single article explaining this.

Here's a look at videos featuring the keywords "Spiderman Frozen Elsa Joker" from this year. These are all different channels. The view totals absolutely blow my mind.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sp=CAMSAggF&q=Spiderman++Frozen+Elsa++Joker

GOzSZue.png

Keym

People really, really like crossovers?

I ran into some of these videos a while ago and honestly didn't get it either...

Lagamorph

People searching for Spiderman, Frozen and Joker videos who don't know how to turn off autoplay for suggested videos.

sephi22

Gaf's favorite youtuber H3h3 (LUL) did some detective work on these jokers months ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipTJNNvW-Gw

It's failed pranksters Mo and Ethan Bradbury.

Now they make lolrandom gone sexual content using Spiderman Elsa etc for kids and non-english speakers who don't understand cultural or contextual cues. (seriously read the comments)

Erv

Do people make money off these videos? and is that legal since they're using these characters?

Fuchsdh

People searching for Spiderman, Frozen and Joker videos who don't know how to turn off autoplay for suggested videos.

Yeah, I feel like this is part of the problem with Youtube. Its suggested videos are pretty crude and encourage recycling content and keyword-laden SEO traps.

Especially doesn't help when you can go from some vaguely feminist thing to immediately "So-and-so DEMOLISHES Sarkeesian"-type videos as the next up. This stuff is just the more benign failure of the system.

Lil Marco

Banned
Many (unfit, usually low-income) parents use Youtube as a daycare/pacifier for their kids. They give them a tablet and just let them watch for hours on end as it keeps them quiet and the parents can focus on their errands, work, etc. There are certain keywords that parents look for when finding these videos and they happen to be the ones mentioned in OP.

emb

This makes sense. Kids ask for videos of Spiderman or Elsa, leave it running, eventually the related videos reach this kind of thing. And the crossovers get run off traffic from multiple popular keywords. At least, it seems like the most plausible explanation.

rjinaz

My 3 year old nephew watches videos on youtube. There are tons (and I mean tons) of videos with adults dressing up as these characters and doing silly things. He likes them. It must make them bank.

Edit: Oh yeah one of those videos in the OP I have seen because of him lol

This is a fetish.
No it's not kids watch that shit all the time. I used to volunteer at a community center in the projects where the kids there don't have TV in their homes. This is the shit they watch. They grow up on this shit not the standard show on disney channel, free form, cartoon network, or whatever other network kids from more affluent famlies watch.

I was so confused at first but after a while i just stop questioning it. This type of stuff, prank vids, and vine compilations was basically to them what Saturday morning cartoons was to people who grew up in the 80s and 90s.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Kids.
Kids do not have ad block so all the ads play.
They clog the search engines.
It's the same with cartoons too. It might be worse.
It's exploitation and people are making bank.

Hell, kids in general are money cows.
Just look at Chris Bores AKA The Irate Gamer. He quit talking about video games so he could pose as a puppet of Steve from Minecraft and show off toys. He gets bunches of views, especially from FNAF fans. Quality doesn't matter.

Many (unfit, usually low-income) parents use Youtube as a daycare/pacifier for their kids. They give them a tablet and just let them watch for hours on end as it keeps them quiet and the parents can focus on their errands, work, etc. There are certain keywords that parents look for when finding these videos and they happen to be the ones mentioned in OP.

That shade.

No Batman tho?

Altho that kinda makes sense - my 5 year old nephew, although he hovered between Batman and Spiderman while growing up, ultimately settled on Spiderman. There's something about Spidey that kids and adults like.

This is kids watching, I would wager. My son likes watching tractor videos on YouTube, and from there he gets to Spider-Man driving tractors in GTAV mods, and from there he gets to these weird live-action Elsa/Spider-Man videos. Apparently some of them are a bit risqué too, meaning we can't really leave him alone watching any of it.

No Batman tho?

Altho that kinda makes sense - my 5 year old nephew, although he hovered between Batman and Spiderman while growing up, ultimately settled on Spiderman. There's something about Spidey that kids and adults like.

To become batman you need to be a billionaire and study marshal arts in the mountains for years.
To become spiderman you just need to get bitten by a radioactive spider.

The latter is probably more realistic to achieve in real life and more relatable ;)

Johndoey

Banned
This isn't​ that weird. Kid has a phone/tablet/whatever, searches for popular character they like, or a parent just jams something on real quick.

Guevara

lol, wow.

They're cross cultural, dialogue free and feature characters known around the world.

They appeal to the literal lowest common denominator. Basically every single person in the world with internet access can watch and understand.

Reversed

The joker is news to me but yeah, sometimes kids keep digging into youtube videos with lego/CG/whatever spiderman and/or disney characters.

Kinda reminds me of myself lurking for cheap-lame flash games from the late 90s to early 00s.

Q8D3vil

My coworker told me about those videos and apparently her kids ( 5yo and 4 yo) loves the shit out of them and watch them day and night on their ipads.

Majukun

my 2 and a half years old nephew always force me to let him watch these on my computer when he comes visiting..it also never once watch one through the end though, he just skips to the next one

Camjo-Z

Kids will always manage to find their way into the weird part of Youtube. I did a double take when I heard my nephew singing the song from those bizarre Finger Family videos in the car.

Corpekata

Banned
It's little kids. My nieces just kinda want to watch random shit they recognize, and if they're together, more the better in their mind.

And youtube is left on like TV would be back in the day, so related videos will rank up the views, and even young kids can easily master touch screen interfaces and figure out how to pick the next video they want.

Magus1234

No it's not kids watch that shit all the time. I used to volunteer at a community center in the projects where the kids there don't have TV in their homes. This is the shit they watch. They grow up on this shit not the standard show on disney channel, free form, cartoon network, or whatever other network kids from more affluent famlies watch.

I was so confused at first but after a while i just stop questioning it. This type of stuff, prank vids, and vine compilations was basically to them what Saturday morning cartoons was to people who grew up in the 80s and 90s.

That terrifies me

Top Bottom