• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTube vids with "Spiderman, Frozen Elsa, and Joker" routinely get millions of views

If you look at the comments on these videos it's almost entirely toddlers posting random keyboard mashing from their parent's YouTube account.

Topper

The second are the reason you can't leave your kids watching peppa pig episodes on youtube in case they start auto-playing.

This is so true, there is some terrible peppa pig fake videos that my son has stumbled onto, my little pony as well.

kyser73

My 7 year old daughter was heavily into the Spidery/Elsa stuff about 6 months ago, now she mainly watches narrated Roblox playthroughs and a couple of teen boys who do some awesomely funny (and clean) Shopkins Shoppies skits.

But yeah, most of these views come from kids repeatedly watching the same clips for about 30-60s each time, then flipping to the next video, which is about where my 3.5 year old son is atm - although he was able to sit through the whole Lego Batman movie.

The worst thing about it? I have to keep resetting Safe Search on YT as my daughter users my account, and my viewing history is mainly Cookie Swirl C toy unboxing videos and a wall of pink framed thumbnails of various Shopkins related content.

kiguel182

I realize the irony here but when some of the videos feature content bordering on snuff films like I mentioned in my last post, that's when I can't help but to question what kind of shit little kids are being exposed to.

I wouldn't care if these bootlegers at least gave an iota of a shit about what they put in their animations.

I have watched some of these videos because of my little cousin (I do watch with her when she is browsing youtube) and it's weird stuff that we, as adults, perceive differently but I've never seen snuff stuff.

Whatever kids watch changes every generation and the way adults see it is different from how kids see it. Crying "doomed" over this is an overreaction.

It is low quality but the kids like it so whatever.

Reminds me of parents getting livid over Newgrounds flashes of Pikachu getting targeted by snipers.

Every generation is the same. I'm sure these kids will grow up and say the same about their kids watching even weirder stuff on some place. The cycle doesn't stop.

"In my time, we watched adults dressed as Elsa and Spiderman. These days kids don't know what's good!"

Further justification for why we told my daughter YouTube no longer functions. That was almost two years ago, and while she will eventually figure it out I'm happy to say we've avoided this crap with her 5th bday around the corner.

Every generation is the same. I'm sure these kids will grow up and say the same about their kids watching even weirder stuff on some place. The cycle doesn't stop.

Yeah, but luckily it doesn't necessarily go downwards. The 70ies were weir as well. Future kids of these consumers may find their parents weird and engage in political and philosophical studies to shock them. Hopefully.

I can see a 'kids mode' becoming a thing so that only curated and vetted videos are accessible so this type of shit won't accidentally come up.

That would still require the effort of the parents to turn it on though, and we're all aware of how often parental controls in electronics are ignored.

Theres a youtube kids app. I had to install it after i found my 2 year old watching this stuff and bad baby videos non stop.

M3d10n

I have watched some of these videos because of my little cousin (I do watch with her when she is browsing youtube) and it's weird stuff that we, as adults, perceive differently but I've never seen snuff stuff.

Whatever kids watch changes every generation and the way adults see it is different from how kids see it. Crying "doomed" over this is an overreaction.

It is low quality but the kids like it so whatever.

"In my time, we watched adults dressed as Elsa and Spiderman. These days kids don't know what's good!"

There's a difference here. We are not talking about 8-10 year olds being fed low quality commercial content aimed at making them ask their parents to buy stuff. We are talking about toddlers watching literal homemade stuff done with zero oversight. You either didn't watch the stuff that was posted here or have a very disturbing notion of what's child-safe. While a bunch of videos seem harmless (a bunch of them don't seem too far away from the crazy and nonsensical stories a 4 years old comes up with while playing, thus the appeal), even if weird, leave it on autoplay and you're bound to get a nasty surprise slip in, even in kids mode. Some of the questionable stuff seems purposefully SEO-optimized to end up in kids playlists.

Top Bottom