• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YouTubers ‘Sponsored’ negative Anthem review removed for disclosure failure not content [Up: EA Link in OP]

Diddy X

C9wCPawXcAEFXy0.jpg

I think this pic may get misintrepeted. Not sure what the purpose of the creator of the pic was but the actual and only problem I think there is is with the final score reviewers give to the game.

In brief, looking at the whole review, Anthem deserves rather a 4 than a 6, the pic is right in that matter as both indicate 'bad' the problem being only the digit of the final score not really representing the real quality of the game. In short, scores are generally inflated.

No doubt.

Funny how when it comes to movie reviews, any movie can get anything from an 8% Rotten Tomato of shit reviews to Oscar worthy 96% winners. They all get to see the movie before anyone else. Yet no movie studio seems to blacklist movie critics even if they gave a movie a 0/10.

Yet for gaming......... moneyhatting shame. Anything for a free game and a swagbag of cheap novelties.

Lol are you kidding? What do you think that 91% Last Jedi RT score was about? Glowing early Twitter impressions? Movie companies have their own ways to inlate scores, they just haven’t caught up to the gaming industry yet.

Dontero

Banned
Read update. Yeah i don't believe it for a second.

I once volunteered for small gaming site in Poland doing reviews etc and when it came to EA games they outright said that they will provide games for free but our gaming site must NEVER gave games less than 7/10.
While it was few years back i still see from time to time various people talking about EA ndas. Though i don't know how it is in US.

It is pretty clear that no gamesite should receive or use publisher send coppies for their work if you do that stuff then pretty much you play with blacklisting aka "hmm maybe i should not give this game 4/10 because i won't get pre-release copies"

Which is why i like how youtube solved that issue. When game is released you can just pop up 1000s of channels who play said game and you can see for yourself if game is fun or not.

You can't fake something being fun

TacosNSalsa

Read update. Yeah i don't believe it for a second.

I once volunteered for small gaming site in Poland doing reviews etc and when it came to EA games they outright said that they will provide games for free but our gaming site must NEVER gave games less than 7/10.
While it was few years back i still see from time to time various people talking about EA ndas. Though i don't know how it is in US.

It is pretty clear that no gamesite should receive or use publisher send coppies for their work if you do that stuff then pretty much you play with blacklisting aka "hmm maybe i should not give this game 4/10 because i won't get pre-release copies"

Which is why i like how youtube solved that issue. When game is released you can just pop up 1000s of channels who play said game and you can see for yourself if game is fun or not.

You can't fake something being fun
It's not just the review copies...they send them all kinds of things . It was a while back but I remember a YouTube video of a reviewer opening his press release copy or whatever and it wasn't just the game , it was a package of cool stuff. I was like damn I want that stuff but it wasn't even available for purchase. Something similar happened recently with Fallout 76 where they flew out popular YouTubers and gave them a *gasp* CANVAS bag.

Psajdak

Banned
Personally, I think he's an ungrateful idiot.

First of all, I never understood people who pay much attention when it comes to reviews, especially for games, movies, or something to read.
No matter how review is well done, in the end it's just another person's opinion, in 99.9% cases nothing is SO good, and nothing is THAT bad.

I remember years ago when I played Okami, after hearing how it is second coming of art gaming Jesus, but in reality, while it was truly something unique, with cool main character, and interesting take on figures and events from Japanese folklore, I still was often bored by it, and annoyed by those squeaky voices...

No matter how cliche that sounds, always try everything yourself.

I don't care how bad this Anthem title is; if I played it, and was payed to review it by company that made it, I would have given it 90+ score, even if it was worst garbage I ever played in my entire life.

It is EA's fault for not taking professional criticisme to heart. I hate these damn fools that sides with companies just because they paid a honest reviewer to review there game..
The marketing shouldn't had approached content creators if they want to make them Lie in the first place. Instead they should most likely take the criticism and then think about their next games. Not try to brain wash people into thinking their products are worthy of their time. its absolutely insane anyone defends these practices.

btw GGGManlives reviews nearly only FPS/Shooter games, because that is the games he loves to play. so he knows his shit about that genre and thats why he is so well established on youtube he is a trustworthy reviewer that doesn't sugar coat his opinion about the games he review.

Last edited:

BigBooper

Why would they pay for someone to bash their game? Why should we be mad at EA instead of the people taking their dirty money? I think the disclosure statement should probably be much clearer that it's not an independent review, but in the end it's just advertising, which I don't mind ignoring.

Top Bottom