• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

YoYo Games announces Game Maker Studio: Export to Consoles function (PS4, PS3, Vita)

CSD PS4? Literal megaton, day one, chubs! As you know from our PMs in the past, CSD is my favourite mobile game of all time. Wish you all the best!

This is what I downloaded for free a couple weeks back due to that special...hell ya! Not like I'd get approved for PS4 or anything, but it would be cool to play around with.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
You can see a gameplay demo over at the YoYo Games Booth #1924 at GDC. There's eighteen games being played over there, including Cook, Serve, Delicious! on PS4. :D

ummm...excuse me, seriously?!? :O release date and are you already in cert with Sony?

It's running on PS4, but I still have to get it approved by Sony so I'm not sure what platforms just yet.
But you apply for all platform? Ps3/ps4/ps vita? Why would sony refused approval for other platforms? If its really that easy, itd be nice to have crossbuy between those platforms. But I dont have any idea how hard it is to port games between platform

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Thanks y'all! This is a great day for GM Studio devs.

hmmm was picturing analog sticks for moving between stations and dpad and buttons (and combinations of both) for ingredients. I bet you are still experimenting though.

I'm just picturing analog sticks directional input fail rate during frantic stuff like soup, could be a bit annoying.

You'd be surprised, it's actually pretty accurate. But that's what the beta test on Steam will help me with as well.

ummm...excuse me, seriously?!? :O release date and are you already in cert with Sony?

Not yet, I'm in the NDA process right now so I've still got some ways to go.

But you apply for all platform? Ps3/ps4/ps vita? Why would sony refused approval for other platforms? If its really that easy, itd be nice to have crossbuy between those platforms. But I dont have any idea how hard it is to port games between platform

You have to submit a game proposal first, so I'm not sure exactly what that entails or how it will go.

Damaniel

Banned
I don't see what is so great about this. The thing is, getting a Sony developer license means filling a ton of paperwork including biography of all team members, your past game portfolio, a detailed game project proposal and even disclosing your company's financial reports.

Most indie teams with no money *and* a proven track record are just laughed off and will never even get a response back from Sony. I just don't see a lot of overlap between GameMaker users and people who meet those standards.

As it should be. Nobody should be able to walk into the offices of a major console maker with a half-baked idea and not as much as even a prototype, argue their 'game' will be the next great thing, and then get free devkits and software as a result. Too many people out there who claim to have the 'next great thing', but no game, no prototype; not even a design document.

If anything, this will help hobbyists - make a prototype of your game in GameMaker Studio on PC, and then you'll have something concrete to show to Sony. If the idea is good, the devkits and support will flow, and you won't even have to rewrite your game to deploy to Sony platforms.

Hoo-doo

Banned
We all have to support our development-gaffers with a purchase on PS4, obviously.

Bish is going to check all our PSN accounts to verify the purchase with hammer in hand.

YES! Niddhog would be the best couch MP experience ever on the PS4(next to Towerfall)!!

Although nothing has been said, it would seem the logical step for them to bring it to the PS4 or even Vita !

That's really cool and good for you chubs! I'm just slowly learning Gamemaker Studio so maybe some day I'll be able to bring a game to consoles.

Hopefully Nintendo gets the engine on Wii U too. If they will, please bring Cook, Serve, Delicious to Wii U too chubs. I'm pretty sure my wife would love it, but she doesn't wanna play on PC much.

Cromat

Interesting. Question for experienced Game Maker devs: can you use it in conjunction with code in other languages? For example, if I wanted to use some API to work with my game so that it can extract some information from the web?

nampad

So Shahid was right, great news for indies.
Can't wait for the announcements, many good Gamemaker titles out there.

Korten

Banned
Question, is downloading PSM on the Vita allow you to use the commercial version of the system as a Dev Kit? Since it does allow you to connect to PC and execute programs and such.

Would I be able to get Game Maker, download PSM on Vita and actually try to make games?

CamHostage

I just realized what this means too.

NIDDHOGG MOTHERFUCKERS

Be nice on PS4 for sure; don't think Niddhogg on Vita could be viable since it's a 2P-required, local-only game. And there's no Game Sharing on Vita, stupidly.

(Also, how accessible is Vita wireless? I know on PSP Sony was a tightwad about allowing developers access to some of the extra system features like wireless connectivity.)

But there for sure are some cool Game Maker games that could well come to Sony's portable thanks to this. A few have already been committed to the platform (Hotline, RoR, Hyper Light,) not sure how many were ported over without official support, I believe Hotline was redone in Unity? As long as the process is made more and more possible every day and the audience, albeit small, remains rabid, it should continue to be a system worth championing.

So now with Game Maker Studio you can export to PC, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, Windows Phone/W8, PS3, PS4, and Vita.

So Chubigans and other development-minded folks, are there any comparisons out there between Game Maker Studio and similarly-targeted engines like Unity? I have seen some complaints about the limitations and flaws in Unity's 2D, that's GameMaker Studio's bailiwick, but are we talking night-and-day better results or are there still advantages to both? And how do other 2D solutions out there (though I can't think of any officially announced for console support) stack up?

Sony is going to need a bigger store.

And more goddamned bubbles.

I want Cook Serve Delicious to have move support. That way you can emulate all the horrbile things done to your food before you eat it.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
As it should be. Nobody should be able to walk into the offices of a major console maker with a half-baked idea and not as much as even a prototype, argue their 'game' will be the next great thing, and then get free devkits and software as a result. Too many people out there who claim to have the 'next great thing', but no game, no prototype; not even a design document.

If anything, this will help hobbyists - make a prototype of your game in GameMaker Studio on PC, and then you'll have something concrete to show to Sony. If the idea is good, the devkits and support will flow, and you won't even have to rewrite your game to deploy to Sony platforms.

I agree. I've always been a supporter of curated marketplaces. If my game isn't what Sony is looking for, then it'll be a disappointment sure, but I'd still be in favor of curation.

Thanks really good.

But how much does it cost to register as a developer with Sony

The low low price of zero dollars!

So can I make my own sequel to Shadow Dancer (Megadrive version) using this, right?

YES

That's really cool and good for you chubs! I'm just slowly learning Gamemaker Studio so maybe some day I'll be able to bring a game to consoles.

Hopefully Nintendo gets the engine on Wii U too. If they will, please bring Cook, Serve, Delicious to Wii U too chubs. I'm pretty sure my wife would love it, but she doesn't wanna play on PC much.

Whatever GM Studio decided to do next, I'd certainly like to be there. :)

Interesting. Question for experienced Game Maker devs: can you use it in conjunction with code in other languages? For example, if I wanted to use some API to work with my game so that it can extract some information from the web?

Game Maker has it's own code base, called GML, which is very similar to C languages. But you can't typically use outside code or go outside the game's sandbox state, which is why it wouldn't be good for something like web apps or non game apps. That is slowly changing with the newer versions of GM, however.

Question, is downloading PSM on the Vita allow you to use the commercial version of the system as a Dev Kit? Since it does allow you to connect to PC and execute programs and such.

Would I be able to get Game Maker, download PSM on Vita and actually try to make games?

I don't think this applies to PS Mobile. So you cannot export to Mobile using GM Studio, as it uses a different set of APIs and such.

So Chubigans and other development-minded folks, are there any comparisons out there between Game Maker Studio and similarly-targeted engines like Unity? I have seen some complaints about the limitations and flaws in Unity's 2D, that's GameMaker Studio's bailiwick, but are we talking night-and-day better results or are there still advantages to both? And how do other 2D solutions out there (though I can't think of any officially announced for console support) stack up?

I don't use Unity so it's hard to say personally. What I do know with Game Maker is that I can make a game, hit export, and it just plain works on all platforms. There's optimization that would be useful in porting to, say, mobile from PC, but by and large it's a fantastically solid engine.

I want Cook Serve Delicious to have move support. That way you can emulate all the horrbile things done to your food before you eat it.

I wonder if Studio will support VR. Croutons and tomatoes COMING AT YA!

This is amazing, maybe I'll need to go back to making games on my free time.

@chubigans
Did you ever believe that your game would be on a PS console? Given that the original game you drew inspiration from was for PS1. It's like everything coming full circle.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
This is amazing, maybe I'll need to go back to making games on my free time.

@chubigans
Did you ever believe that your game would be on a PS console? Given that the original game you drew inspiration from was for PS1. It's like everything coming full circle.

After a few disappointing talks with console port studios (one wanted to make it easier and more casual friendly) I had pretty much given up on consoles, yeah. Crazy stuff!

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Here's a list of games at the YoYo booth:

10 Second Ninja, Dan Pearce
Another Perspective, Shaun Spalding
Bullet Bros, Futurepoly
Castles in the Sky, The Tall Trees
Cook, Serve, Delicious; Vertigo Games
Hero Siege, Panic Art Studios
Home, Benjamin Rivers
Hyper Light Drifter, Heart Machine
Maldita Castilla, LocoMalito
Nuclear Throne, Vlambeer
Risk of Rain, Hopoo Games
Samurai Gunn, Teknopants
Savant-Ascent, D-Pad Studio
Spelunky, Moss Mouth
Stealth Bastard, Curve Studio
Super Crate Box, Vlambeer
Tiamat-X, BBQ Games
Death Ray Manta – Bagfull of Wrong
Valdis Story, Endless Fluff Games

Damaniel

Banned
After a few disappointing talks with console port studios (one wanted to make it easier and more casual friendly) I had pretty much given up on consoles, yeah. Crazy stuff!

Knowing that real devs are out there making great games with GameMaker, combined with this new support from Sony, strongly has me considering giving it a try. I might actually finish a project for once... ;)

(By the way, my sister loves Cook, Serve, Delicious and she'll be thrilled to hear it's coming to consoles too. I'm always glad to see good games get the wide audience that they deserve.)

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Knowing that real devs are out there making great games with GameMaker, combined with this new support from Sony, strongly has me considering giving it a try. I might actually finish a project for once... ;)

(By the way, my sister loves Cook, Serve, Delicious and she'll be thrilled to hear it's coming to consoles too. I'm always glad to see good games get the wide audience that they deserve.)

Thanks! Yeah definitely check out GMS, I can't recommend it enough.

Also it's kind of weird in that the game is playable on PS4, but I haven't announced that it's actually coming to PS4, haha. Hopefully all will go well in the approval process.

Top Bottom