• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

Peff

Oyashiro said:
Wow, I really should not have posted at around 3:30 AM. *facepalm*

If I remember correctly, teleport to Cave Byway and use the Moonsong.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have tried like 7 times to beat the 2nd version of that last boss, I cannot do it. Give me some tips. I have been procrastinating and really busy so this game has sadly been neglected. I just tried it a few days ago and failed again FML

Hm, you just have to hit its hands, there's really not a specific tactic like the other phases or a particularly good place to dodge the attacks. If you're having that much trouble, you could always lower the difficulty
we won't tell :p

LiquidMetal14 said:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have tried like 7 times to beat the 2nd version of that last boss, I cannot do it. Give me some tips. I have been procrastinating and really busy so this game has sadly been neglected. I just tried it a few days ago and failed again FML

7x is nothing, but i guess it depends on the difficulty level you play on.
what part do you have problems with exactly? i've used the bracelet with the guard function 2-3x when he charged at me to crush the ice, followed by attacks with boost activated. he will start shooting orbs which you'll have to hit back with your sword. learn to avoid the suck-in attack on the ground. the rest is just skill.

good luck!

Grimmy

Banned
Finally finished the game - loved it. Much shorter than Ys 7 (I finished the game around 15:30), but admittedly as an overall experience it is better. Some of the dialogue is, again, rather long-winded, but otherwise I enjoyed the more compact storyline.

Some of the extras after finishing the game are fantastic - love the Prologue which tells the story between Ys II and Oath in Felghana. But I notice there's a missing movie with ??? - did anyone unlock it to see what it is?

Lastly, I found the voice acting to mostly be quite top-notch. Well, except that woman at the inn...

Casting Life3 on this thread....

Just started to play this last week after owning since it's launch week. Man, such an awesome game and my first Ys experience as well. I just beat Gyalava, damn he was a bastard to kill. I must have when through 20 attempts until I just became patient and used charged wind magic to kill him.

Loving the game so much that I went out and found still sealed, non "gut", copy of the Ys Seven LE at my local Gamestop. I even reserved Ys I & II Chronicles as well. I know both of those games have varying game play styles, but I'm sure I'll still enjoy them.

depward

So I finally picked this up and I've put four hours into it. I'm really enjoying it. It's an old-school ARPG that is more about skill than just mashing the cross button.

I just finished up the
volcano area
and have a question about the boss there:

Was it me or did the fire dragon boss have no rhyme or reason to it? It was weird; I wasn't able to decipher a specific attack pattern. When it popped out of the lava, it would try to head-butt me. If it did, it would pop back into the lava. If I SOMEHOW dodged it, it would then spin around and I would do the downward slash on it.

... did I miss something?

In any case, this game is awesome. Pure awesomeness. Definitely recommend if you want a fun ARPG on the PSP.

depward said:
So I finally picked this up and I've put four hours into it. I'm really enjoying it. It's an old-school ARPG that is more about skill than just mashing the cross button.

I just finished up the
volcano area
and have a question about the boss there:

Was it me or did the fire dragon boss have no rhyme or reason to it? It was weird; I wasn't able to decipher a specific attack pattern. When it popped out of the lava, it would try to head-butt me. If it did, it would pop back into the lava. If I SOMEHOW dodged it, it would then spin around and I would do the downward slash on it.

... did I miss something?

In any case, this game is awesome. Pure awesomeness. Definitely recommend if you want a fun ARPG on the PSP.
That boss was more of a "mid-boss". Wait till you fight Gyalava...

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Been playing this on my PSP lately, currently up to Valestein castle... my big complaint with the PSP version is that everything looks too small! It makes it pretty hard to see the detail on the sprites, and some of the monsters look like nothing more than a quick blur when moving :( Definitely prefer it on PC.

Lain

Finally started playing my copy of the game (hoping I won't add it to the plethora of games I'm not finishing lately). I love the VA so far, but I'm still blinded by Ys 7 graphics and character art. Gameplay seems fun though!

depward

Finished this up this last weekend and it was a really finely put together ARPG. There was little to zero downtime in my 16 hour Hard run and the boss battles, which came at a higher frequency towards the end of the game, were definitely memorable moments in the game.

I'll echo other's comments on how things seemed a little smallish, especially some of those tiny drops mobs would sometimes leave.

I absolutely loved the ability to drop the difficulty down if I died more than three times in boss battles. More games need this feature :)

The music was great. The voice-over work was serviceable and no one in particular really made me think it was poor.

I'm contemplating holding off until Ys Chronicles OR if I should just move on to Ys 7... not sure what I'm going to do yet.

vocab

depward said:
Finished this up this last weekend and it was a really finely put together ARPG. There was little to zero downtime in my 16 hour Hard run and the boss battles, which came at a higher frequency towards the end of the game, were definitely memorable moments in the game.

I'll echo other's comments on how things seemed a little smallish, especially some of those tiny drops mobs would sometimes leave.

I absolutely loved the ability to drop the difficulty down if I died more than three times in boss battles. More games need this feature :)

The music was great. The voice-over work was serviceable and no one in particular really made me think it was poor.

I'm contemplating holding off until Ys Chronicles OR if I should just move on to Ys 7... not sure what I'm going to do yet.

I'm 7 hours in Ys 7 nightmare mode. There is no difficulty changing after x amount of deaths. I never even used it anyway.

djtiesto said:
Been playing this on my PSP lately, currently up to Valestein castle... my big complaint with the PSP version is that everything looks too small! It makes it pretty hard to see the detail on the sprites, and some of the monsters look like nothing more than a quick blur when moving :( Definitely prefer it on PC.
You need to play it on PSPGo - its screen is sharper and doesn't blur with fast motion (though it is a tad smaller).

vocab

KAL2006 said:
I have never played a Ys game before, what game is best to start with, this one or Ys 7

I started with Oath. Oath is really fast paced compared to 7. 7 while fast, doesn't put me on the edge of my seat (not yet at least) like Oath did.

KAL2006 said:
I have never played a Ys game before, what game is best to start with, this one or Ys 7

doesn't matter if you ask me. if you like some platforming, go for OiF first. if you want to see the craziest dash in the world, newer tech and a larger party, go for seven.

I would say Oath in Felghana. Ys 7 they went in a new direction, and there's like 40 minutes of talking to people before you get to any of the action since it's much more RPG-like. In Felghana, there's the opening cutscene, a few lines, and then the action starts.

Jigsaw

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
I would say Oath in Felghana. Ys 7 they went in a new direction, and there's like 40 minutes of talking to people before you get to any of the action since it's much more RPG-like. In Felghana, there's the opening cutscene, a few lines, and then the action starts.

the few lines are 20-30 minutes too :p

i started with 7,then oath,then ark,and i would also rate them in this order

Lain

Almost done with the game, I'm just at the last boss, which looks to be a hard fight.

So far my impression of the game has been really positive, the game is awesome. Yet, I don't think it's as good as Ys 7, or better, it didn't give me the same addiction Ys 7 did.
While the story in 7 was just as simple, it felt somewhat better. The characters felt a bit more alive and their designs more to my liking (the char designs in here are pretty charming, but the one in 7 I find it is better).
The gameplay is great, and the game is somewhat more difficult than 7, yet I miss being able to dodge and block, as jumping all over the place to evade isn't as fun for me.

Also, does Falcom just like tragic female characters?

Oh, and I'm missing a yellow jewel! Anyone able to tell me where I might find it?

Got around to playing this and just finished it (the first time). Really, really great game. I liked Ys 7 a lot and this is even better by a large margin. The pacing is unbelievably good.

I heard Ys 6 and Origin (not on PSP?) have the same basic gameplay of Oath. I want to check those out. I wish Falcom would put out the PC versions of these games on Steam. I'd rebuy Oath in a heartbeat.

Peff

Linkzg said:
Got around to playing this and just finished it (the first time). Really, really great game. I liked Ys 7 a lot and this is even better by a large margin. The pacing is unbelievably good.

I heard Ys 6 and Origin (not on PSP?) have the same basic gameplay of Oath. I want to check those out. I wish Falcom would put out the PC versions of these games on Steam. I'd rebuy Oath in a heartbeat.

Ys VI is on PSP, but the port is kinda sketchy with long loading times and erratic framerate. It seems to be better if you can rip it off to a memory card though. You could always look for the PS2 version which was also released in the US and Europe, or play the Japanese PC version with the translation patch. The game itself isn't as well paced as Felghana but it's still fun.

robot

I'm heading on a 6 hour plane ride in a few hours and been trying to decide to get this or Ys 1&2 on my Go.

I've already finished Ys 1 on Wii VC, never had a chance to take on 2. I own Ys 7 and while I absolutely love it, I made the mistake of putting it down for a few months and now have no idea what's going on and am wandering aimlessly on the map. Though I did play for about 14 hours and got a lot out of it.

Ys 1 was great with an amazing soundtrack to boot - but I prefer the combat of 7. Is the combat in Oath in Felghana similar to 7?

Lain

I finished the game some weeks ago, and managed a second play-through on easy (to unlock some CGs) and started a very easy one (to unlock even more CGs) but then stopped to start YsI&II (since I finally received it).
I maintain that the gameplay is nice and good, but I found 7 better in every aspect except speed.
There is one thing that annoys me though with the replays. There is no skip button. A nice way to skip all those conversations to get quickly past them would have been so good.

Grimmy said:
Some of the extras after finishing the game are fantastic - love the Prologue which tells the story between Ys II and Oath in Felghana.

Actually, there's a game between Ys 2 and Ys 3. It's Ys 4.

robot

Princess Skittles said:
Yes, but faster and with a jump instead of a dash.

Awesome

zoner said:
And weapon switches instead of people

Awesomer

Already downloading. I'll probably wind up getting 1 & 2 on my next trip - watched a few videos and this one looks awesome. Thanks!

Xtyle

Started playing this on PC again with all the patches. Game still looks stunning after these years. I beat it once on Normal back then but lost all the saves due to uninstalling and not realizing doing so would delete all the saves :(

The hardest fight I remember was the 3 birds boss fight. Wow..that was on normal and still kicked my ass. I remember the blue dragon wasn't easy too.

Xtyle

True...that music is blood pumping

I sold the damn jade bracelet to the armor shop and and only realized later that I could have traded it in to Randolph for the boost enhancement...uh, now I need to go back to an older save...1.5 hours lost

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Lain said:
I finished the game some weeks ago, and managed a second play-through on easy (to unlock some CGs) and started a very easy one (to unlock even more CGs) but then stopped to start YsI&II (since I finally received it).
I maintain that the gameplay is nice and good, but I found 7 better in every aspect except speed.
There is one thing that annoys me though with the replays. There is no skip button. A nice way to skip all those conversations to get quickly past them would have been so good.
I honestly cannot agree. As much as I liked 7, I really hated having to switch characters all the time and keep an eye on my whole party.

Oath had more interesting dungeons, too, imo.

Both great games, but Oath is still the pinnacle of the series for me.

Xtyle

Blue ice dragon's kicking my ass. Taking a break before I go play some more. I can't wait to get to Valestine. Is it right after this boss?

Finally beat him after some tries. I was at 0 health when I killed him :D
Now I am in Valestine Castle. Damn this place is so epic. Everything about it.

Xtyle

Beat it on normal.
This is my second time. Last was 2 years ago. that last boss I retried at least 15 times.

I really hated the bouncing ball part. Uh. I can't imagine doing that part on a higher difficulty. It also seemed that leveling up didn't lessen the damage taken from the ball. Falcom really pulled that out of a bullet dodge shoot em up mechanic...

I just installed YSO last night. Is it as fun (or frustrating)? I am itching to replay book I and II on the Wii. I only finished it once about 15 years ago

Finally beating the final boss of this game was one of my happiest gaming achievement.

Him and also a fire dragon that i fought who could fly.

Xtyle

The fire dragon in the lava pit or the one at the bridge that looks like a parrot? I still can't make the jump above the flipping bricks most of the time fighting that bridge boss. I am so I will have very little luck on hard mode.

I wanted to go all hardcore and beat the higher difficulties but now I think I need a break from this game. Shit's too intense at times. Maybe book I and II will be more relaxing to play for next.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
bigben85 said:
Maybe book I and II will be more relaxing to play for next.

Yeah sure, until you fight that shit eating vampire boss near the end of Book I.

Shai-Tan

Banned
bigben85 said:
The fire dragon in the lava pit or the one at the bridge that looks like a parrot? I still can't make the jump above the flipping bricks most of the time fighting that bridge boss. I am so I will have very little luck on hard mode.

I wanted to go all hardcore and beat the higher difficulties but now I think I need a break from this game. Shit's too intense at times. Maybe book I and II will be more relaxing to play for next.

I stopped playing the game there are few months ago. From youtube videos it looks like it's easier to shoot it with fireballs which I assumed wasn't possible because I was thinking it would be immune considering it shoots fire. Not like I couldn't learn how to do it with the swords and that whirlwind thing but I found it annoying.

The game is great but I wish the boss battles were a little more like DMC3 (less spam more pattern)

Xtyle

Shai-Tan said:
I stopped playing the game there are few months ago. From youtube videos it looks like it's easier to shoot it with fireballs which I assumed wasn't possible because I was thinking it would be immune considering it shoots fire. Not like I couldn't learn how to do it with the swords and that whirlwind thing but I found it annoying.

The game is great but I wish the boss battles were a little more like DMC3 (less spam more pattern)

Not quite familiar with DMC3. These bosses though is mostly patterns. They mix it up but what I like about it is that there is usually they give you enough visual queue and time to run of shit

I'm playing this game these days and I have a question. I've beaten Gyalva in the lava zone, now I'm back to town and I need to go to the abandoned mine.
The question is, which is better, buying new weapons/armor or upgrade the one that I have?

Nordicus

Just beat this a few hours ago and I gotta say, that was definitely an appropriately tough final boss. I managed to beat every boss before it in 9 tries or less, but that second phase is such a clusterfuck that I could barely avoid taking hits. Took closer to 20 tries and it was the only boss for whom I did any grinding in this game in the end.

This was my first Ys game and I'm most definitely going to check out all the others when I get in the mood for some really touch action again.

Tizoc

Alright guys I need help in defeating the 2nd boss.
First off let me say I am loving the soundtrack in this game.
i decided to start with Ys OiF on my Vita and the first boss battle has been great, this 2nd one is do-able but I fail at timing my jumps, plus my fire magic spell only does like 3 damage per hit the most.
Should I level grind more or go back and upgrade my equipment before fighting it again?

Just started playing this game on Steam. Bought it during a sale at the recommendation of GAF, but am only now just getting to it over a year later.

Question... which difficulty do I select?

During the last 10 years of games.. Easy = Joke, Normal = Effortless, Hard = Normal, Expert = Hard .. that had been the trend anyway, and I haven't played a lot of new games in the last few years.

... Does that apply to this game? I want to pick HARD because I do appreciate a challenge, but I'm not a savant.

So which difficulty do you think is appropriate for me?

edit: Whaddafuck is dis.... I cheesed that shadow asshole by staying across the room from his attacks... but THIS.. this first boss with the attack every one second that you have to perfectly jump... and if it hits you 4 times you're dead, and if you hit it once, you do like 2 damage to it, so you have to hit it like 300 times. GAAAAHHH!!!! What have I gotten myself into...

Top Bottom