• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys: The Oath in Felghana |OT|

p_xavier

Authorized Fister
FrostuTheNinja said:
Hell, yes!

I just wish the Ys 3 PS2 remake would get digital release, then some would understand my undying love for it. Unfortunately, it'll probably never happen as it was developed by Taito and we all know where Taito is now...

:(

I just wish that Sony would release a PC Engine emulator as I already have the discs.

I've nearly beaten the game but I'm having a bit of trouble.
How am I supposed to beat the final boss? It doesn't seem like I'm able to hit him at all.

Peff

rainking187 said:
I've nearly beaten the game but I'm having a bit of trouble.
How am I supposed to beat the final boss? It doesn't seem like I'm able to hit him at all.

Wait for him to shoot the ice, then get up on the platforms.hit the red gem with the fire magic, then hit the eye. After a while you'll hve to destroy his arms for the eye to come out and finally you'll have to attack a ball of light he uses to hurt him (like in Zelda with Ganondorf)

Peff said:
Wait for him to shoot the ice, then get up on the platforms.hit the red gem with the fire magic, then hit the eye. After a while you'll hve to destroy his arms for the eye to come out and finally you'll have to attack a ball of light he uses to hurt him (like in Zelda with Ganondorf)

Ah thanks. I didn't have the fire magic equipped when I started the battle so I couldn't do anything.

Peff

rainking187 said:
Ah thanks. I didn't have the fire magic equipped when I started the battle so I couldn't do anything.

That's odd, several of the bosses have attacks that are easily dodged or parried with different magic attacks, so in PC there was a button to change the bracelet in real time. Isn't that in the PSP version?

Stupid slow local post service :(

Peff said:
That's odd, several of the bosses have attacks that are easily dodged or parried with different magic attacks, so in PC there was a button to change the bracelet in real time. Isn't that in the PSP version?

Stupid slow local post service :(

I didn't even think to check if there was a button to change bracelets honestly.

7threst

Someone here in the topic mentioned that the drawing on the side of the ltd. edition carton boxes complement each other, same goes for the PSP boxes (the Ys logo). However, the logo isn't complete so it's safe to say there are more Ys games coming for the PSP?

Peff

7threst said:
Someone here in the topic mentioned that the drawing on the side of the ltd. edition carton boxes complement each other, same goes for the PSP boxes (the Ys logo). However, the logo isn't complete so it's safe to say there are more Ys games coming for the PSP?

Yep. Ys Chronicles is scheduled to come out around February 2011. It's more old-school than Felghana and Seven though, it's played from a top-down view like Zelda and you attack by ramming into the enemies. No platforming either. I think they're great, but if you were introduced to Ys with the new style it might seem outdated to you. There's also Ark of Napishtim that was released a few years ago, it's very similar to Felghana but the PSP version is not very good (unless you have a Slim, which fixes one of the problems). In theory Chronicles will be the last one XSeed will release for now, but if Falcom ports Origin or makes a new game, they'll probably release that as well.

7threst

I am fairly new to the Ys series so while I was waiting for Seven to come out I downloaded Book I & II from the Virtual Console and I totally loved it. I take that chronicles is a remake from book I & II? If so: great! If not: interested anyway :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Finished Oath today while I was on the can. Lvl 51, all final equipment pieces at MAX, all jewels except the last emerald.

Boss was pissing me off at lvl 50, but lvl 51 was largely a cakewalk. I do love the fact that a single level can matter so much.

For my second run, I chose "keep equipment levels and expand cap". What is the max cap once its expanded? 10?

7threst said:
I am fairly new to the Ys series so while I was waiting for Seven to come out I downloaded Book I & II from the Virtual Console and I totally loved it. I take that chronicles is a remake from book I & II? If so: great! If not: interested anyway :D

Yeah, Chronicles is a remake of I&II. Glad you liked it. They're short games, but incredibly fun (and there's something very old school Zelda about them).

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
jaundicejuice said:
Is there an equivalent to Seven's Just Guard in Oath in Felghana?

The Dash gauntlet parries attacks. Any attacks that connect while you're dashing are guarded, and you take no damage.

fuck me. Im in the mood for a new psp rpg and cannot decide between this or Ys seven, or nights in the nightmare. Part of me loves the aesthetic and weirdness of in KitN, but another part of me wants a more traditional action rpg and everything i hear about this game is good.

thetrin said:
The Dash gauntlet parries attacks. Any attacks that connect while you're dashing are guarded, and you take no damage.

Okay, good to know. I just need to stop sucking with this early boss then. Oath strikes me as being a bit more challenging than Seven.

thetrin

Gamer @ Heart said:
fuck me. Im in the mood for a new psp rpg and cannot decide between this or Ys seven, or nights in the nightmare. Part of me loves the aesthetic and weirdness of in KitN, but another part of me wants a more traditional action rpg and everything i hear about this game is good.

Oath is amazing. I would choose Oath. Then I would play Ys Seven. Then get Knights. Knights is a great game, but it's time consuming. oath and seven can be beaten quickly.

thetrin said:
Oath is amazing. I would choose Oath. Then I would play Ys Seven. Then get Knights. Knights is a great game, but it's time consuming. oath and seven can be beaten quickly.

How quickly are we talking?

thetrin

jaundicejuice said:
Okay, good to know. I just need to stop sucking with this early boss then. Oath strikes me as being a bit more challenging than Seven.

It definitely is. No healing outside of W Boost and no guarding outside of the gauntlet makes the game a very different game from Seven.

Gamer @ Heart said:
How quickly are we talking?

15-20 hours for Oath. 20-35 for Seven.

Maybe even quicker.

My play time for Seven was under 30 hours.

Talk about straight up derp time, I wasn't using
the charge shot of the ignis bracelet
on the first major boss. After dying multiple times and getting nowhere, I realise this, and on my final attempt I didn't get hit once and killed the boss
in like five or six charge shots
. Feel like an idiot.

thetrin

jaundicejuice said:
My play time for Seven was under 30 hours.

Talk about straight up derp time, I wasn't using
the charge shot of the ignis bracelet
on the first major boss. After dying multiple times and getting nowhere, I realise this, and on my final attempt I didn't get hit once and killed the boss
in like five or six charge shots
. Feel like an idiot.
Early on I switched bracelets to the L button. It's easier to charge and jump at the same time.

My playtime on 7 was less than 30 too, but you never know how long someone might take.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Any tips for the last boss? I have fought the it twice and died at the second part. I don't know if I need a certain attack or what but I'm not doing much damage to the 2nd part.

Ferga

how long did it take people to finish nightmare?

I'm at the last boss with 14 hours. Need to grind though, can't beat it yet D:

Peff

LiquidMetal14 said:
Any tips for the last boss? I have fought the it twice and died at the second part. I don't know if I need a certain attack or what but I'm not doing much damage to the 2nd part.

The second part doesn't really have any strategies...
just destroy a hand so the eye is opened again, then attack it
. Try grinding a level, maybe.

Also, outtakes :lol

thetrin said:
Early on I switched bracelets to the L button. It's easier to charge and jump at the same time.

My playtime on 7 was less than 30 too, but you never know how long someone might take.

Sweet, I didn't know you couldn't change the button layout. I had to lay my PSP flat so I could use my index and middle fingers to pull off the charge shots while jumping.

thetrin

LiquidMetal14 said:

Attack the hands. It'll only stop if you attack the hands. Once you hit it enough, it enters its last phase, where you have to do some suitably Zelda-ish stuff to defeat him.

depward

So conflicted on whether I want to pick this up or not. My thoughts:

1) Tried Ys: The Ark of Napishtim on PSP when it first released and stopped not because it wasn't fun but because of the horrid loading times.

2) Played Legacy of Ys on the DS and did not like how incredibly old-school it was.

So here's my thing. I like games to tell me where to go and what to do. For example, in Ys 1, I got to a boss (fairly late in the game, I think) and was stuck. Turns out that having some item that was received in an incredibly obscure way was the way to go. Umm, how was I supposed to know?!

Anyway, I'm still on the fence for Ys 7... but thought if I were to pick up a Ys game, I'd start here.

So. Does the game tell me what to do and / or where to go? I'm just not a gamer who likes to have to resort to looking at gamefaqs on where to go / what to craft / etc.

Peff

Yeah, this game is pretty linear. You can return to any place you have already visited any time, but you can't get ahead of where you have to go. There is nothing particularly obscure either, just remember to talk with the people in the city after every big dungeon to get new missions, mostly because
there is an item in the first dungeon that you have to get later that will allow you to complete a mission and obtain an item to see better in the next one

thetrin

I personally love that Ys makes you work to find out where to go next. It's usually very little, but it forces you to talk to people, which really adds depth to the world.

I miss games like that. :(

Btw, is it possible to screw yourself over if you
go to genos island, dont hit the save point and warp back to Redmont?

Grimmy

Banned
Peff said:
The second part doesn't really have any strategies...
just destroy a hand so the eye is opened again, then attack it
. Try grinding a level, maybe.

Also, outtakes :lol

The outtakes are pretty funny, especially the Brokeback reference. I always thought there was something....special between Adol and Dogi ;)

Volcynika

Well now I'm at level 50 or 51 (I forget) at the last save point before the penultimate boss,
Garland.////
Have my equipment maxed out and good to go! Though everyone says
Garland is really easy, I just have tons of trouble living long, I jump at a bad angle and get hit by his scythe and the chain lightning when his shield is down always hits me. Urg!
On Nightmare mode, for reference.

Oyashiro

Hey guys, just wanted to let everyone here know that I'm giving away a digital copy of this game! If you are interested, PM me and let me know. I'm holding a raffle and will announce a winner tomorrow before noon.

sammy

This was my first time completing an Ys game and I had a lot of fun with this one. The boss battles were some of the most challenging, so you know I'm happy. I'm really at a loss when it comes to finding all the gems and some items, but I'll see what I can do on my 2nd play-through.

A really tight package, now onto Ys 7 :]

Ferga

sammy said:
This was my first time completing an Ys game and I had a lot of fun with this one. The boss battles were some of the most challenging, so you know I'm happy. I'm really at a loss when it comes to finding all the gems and some items, but I'll see what I can do on my 2nd play-through.

A really tight package, now onto Ys 7 :]

glad you liked it :)

i got to the last boss on nightmare and couldn't finish it :lol

Had to go down to normal to actually beat it. I'm so ashamed

vocab

God, I feel like a retard. I just started the game (thanks to Oyashiro), and the light fire/get ruby puzzle flew completely over my head, and attempted that boss without the charge fire (ya that shit is ridiculously hard). I had to look up what the hell was going wrong because I knew I needed something because I looked through the ruins like 4 fucking times, and just didn't see anything that stood out. Overall, I'm enjoying the game. Hopefully I don't get screwed over with nonsensical graphical clues this time.

damn, i think i've missed a few quests...

that guy in the bar didn't ask me for the ring so i assumed i just remembered wrong about that quest. i went ahead and sold it to the greedy shopkeeper then.....

what happened afterwards? yea, once i've beat the boss in the mines he suddenly noticed his ring was missing. FUUUUUUUUUUU

similar with the >search for the boy< quest i've started while traveling to valestein. seems like i should've searched for him sooner. the maid is gone now :(

oh well, i'm sure i can do without. nightmare is a bitch though.

this game is kicking my ass. if i don't play perfectly i'll go under in nightmare.

currently at the end of
Valestein Castle. the hardest bosses were that shitty wyrm in the lava pit and that fucking ice dragon so far. the first is a drawn out fight where you do pitful damage and in the second you'll die within seconds if you don't pay attention for a sec. i'm expecting more pain soon, the last boss is gonna struck me down irl.

the X68000 soundtrack is so good.

Suzzopher

Spent a good few hours with this last night and managed to finish it off. Really enjoyed it. I prefer it to Ys Seven, so I guess that makes it my favourite Ys game. Loved the game as a whole.

9/10 for me.

Teknoman

Oyashiro said:
Hello guys. Now that I'm on break, I finally have enough time to play this again. Played it this afternoon for a few hours and got pretty far. I beat
the fire and earth dragons
, and right now I'm trying to figure out what the hell to do next. I imagine I have to go to the city that starts with a K (I think it's where
the wind dragon
is?) but I cannot for the life of me figure out how the hell to get there. I've tried every path and they either don't lead there or they're blockaded by the Dragon Knights. Also, I looked around for possible secret passages (like the one you have to take to get to the desert) but I can't seem to find any. Please help! :(

Ys 7 topic is what you need.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have tried like 7 times to beat the 2nd version of that last boss, I cannot do it. Give me some tips. I have been procrastinating and really busy so this game has sadly been neglected. I just tried it a few days ago and failed again FML

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
LiquidMetal14 said:
SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, I have tried like 7 times to beat the 2nd version of that last boss, I cannot do it. Give me some tips. I have been procrastinating and really busy so this game has sadly been neglected. I just tried it a few days ago and failed again FML
What difficulty? What level are you at? Do you have the best weapons/armors and are they leveled up?

Top Bottom