• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yu Suzuki: Shenmue 3 Funding and Budget Statement

They wouldn't have Sony's marketing money if they went multiplatform. Also, Adam Boyes specifically said they're throwing in marketing + money. Nobody ever said none of Sony's funds are going to core development. Suzuki only said that the majority comes from Kickstarter.

Except that they clearly have no money for a "multi-platform" development as indicated by the stretch goals required just to get the game to have deeper content. If MS ponies up funding to create an X1 version, I'm pretty sure that will be acceptable. It's a kickstarter game and there has been no indication that an "exclusive" marketing agreement was made. Problem is, I don't think MS can fare well by sponsoring the title because:

A) The title was promoted on PS4 - a console with the largest share of the console market
B) The potential sales of the X1 would not break even in direct funding to The MS port and marketing (also see A.)
C) It's better to wait for the game to be completed then snag a port if proven successful.

Soi-Fong

Its the second time you make this stupid post towards me when I have explained my issues with this thing that im backing to play on my damn PC, again learn to fucking read. We need the Xbox people, we need the newcomers and we need the unconvinced. Id be okay if Sony backed this because it would put us near the dream game goal, but they arent and if you want the dream game then its not up users to pitch the game to others while being snarky dolts about it, its up to Yu to find us some new people and he is failing at the moment. Dont bother responding to me if you are gonna operate under console war crap mode.

They're doing a Twitch stream tomorrow or did you not see? The KS could have been run better. Hell, something more than the $500 tier would be nice, but it seems like at least they're trying to address that now.

Spaghetti

And understandably so since it was very niche and sold horribly.
shenmue II had its legs cut out from under it on two platforms unfortunately. not really a whole lot can be done about that.

shenmue should have been the example to work from though. 1.5 million sold, with the vast majority of that outside asia. for a very japanese-centric series, that's a considerable achievement.

you can bet shenmue 3 was shopped to microsoft at some point and they passed on it.

someone sacrifice a goat and summon peter moore

I'd be curious. Isn't there a Phil Spencer quote where he says that MS and Sega don't have the best relationship. I wonder if Sega was willing to relinquish the IP since another Japanese company was involved. The Japanese are very nationalistic.

What the fuck do you expect? Sony comes in and fund the game have it come out on XB1. Yeah sure, that's a smart idea. Fund the majority of the game and let it come out on a competing system.

None of these console makers are charities. They have to get something out of it.

If Suzuki took what Sony offered him after Suzuki went to them, it sure as hell was a lot better than whatever Sega or MS offered didn't offer for these past 14 years.

Then why not go the same route they did with Street Fighter? Many including the developer said it would not be possible without Sony but they never asked the public to pay for the development.

prealpha

Neo Member
Some of these have already been posted, but just for comparison:
dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png

dailypledges.png
I wonder if Kicktraq uses historical data to improve their projections.

GavinGT

Banned
I'd be curious. Isn't there a Phil Spencer quote where he says that MS and Sega don't have the best relationship. I wonder if Sega was willing to relinquish the IP since another Japanese company was involved. The Japanese are very nationalistic.

He said MS and Sega don't really have a relationship, not that it's either bad or good. I think Sega relinquishing the IP was a gesture of good will to Suzuki, who they respect and who still holds an advisory role at the company.

Spaghetti

the IP hasn't gone anywhere. SEGA still own it, but yu is allowed to licence it for little or no cost. presumably as a favour from the people still in the company who he mentored.

Soi-Fong

Then why not go the same route they did with Street Fighter? Many including the developer said it would not be possible without Sony but they never asked the public to pay for the development.

Street Fighter is actually commercially viable. It's not really a financial risk since it will sell a lot of copies either way.

You have more gamers who know the Street Fighter name than Shenmue. More people know the names of Chun-Li than Shenhua.

There's a good reason why Yu kept on saying it all depends on the fans now. Y's Net really is only Suzuki and he needs help. Sony gave him that. It'd be foolish to thinking that for 14 years he didn't try to go to MS and Sega. We can just assume they just ignored him.

Tenzan

Banned
Its the second time you make this stupid post towards me when I have explained my issues with this thing that im backing to play on my damn PC, again learn to fucking read. We need the Xbox people, we need the newcomers and we need the unconvinced. Id be okay if Sony backed this because it would put us near the dream game goal, but they arent and if you want the dream game then its not up users to pitch the game to others while being snarky dolts about it, its up to Yu to find us some new people and he is failing at the moment. Dont bother responding to me if you are gonna operate under console war crap mode.

Im surprised how closed-minded some of you are about this series, do you really the current funds are an adecuate representation of the interest it generated at E3? Do you think so little of it that you think that some random Polygon douchebag and some trolls were all it took to bring things to this point?

I think everyone should be able to play this game, I think Suzuki did go to MS and they passed. Remember that the Xbone isn't even remotely big in Japan and MS passing on funding this is a testimony to that. MS not being able to appeal or their lack of interest to the Japanese crowd hurts this.

Theonik

Because even with how broke Capcom was at the time, they still have orders of magnitude more funding than YS-Net.
Edit: And we still don't even know what the platform situation will be by the time it comes out. As it stands ports are a huge resource drain.

Wait what, I thought they clearly stated the kickstarter was on its way regardless of Sony's involvement. Unless he is referring to the PS4 version, there's no indication the kickstarter would not happen without Sony's involvement.

Also, it has been pointed out that the Shenmue III project is Suzuki's so clearly he has avenues to expand the game to other platforms of necessary. Yoshida stared that if Sony funded the title, it would be a "first-party" publishing agreement NOT a "third party".

Soi-Fong

Wait what, I thought they clearly stated the kickstarter was on its way regardless of Sony's involvement. Unless he is referring to the PS4 version, there's no indication the kickstarter would not happen without Sony's involvement.

Also, it has been pointed out that the Shenmue III project is Suzuki's so clearly he has avenues to expand the game to other platforms of necessary. Yoshida stared that if Sony funded the title, it would be a "first-party" publishing agreement NOT a "third party".

I think he's talking about Street Fighter V.. Sony is heavily involved in the development of that and funding a big amount of it as well.

Peltz

I donated $29. I never really got into Shenmue, but I think this is an important enough project to be worthy of my money.

Steroyd

MS can do the same for the XB1 version. Still doesn't explain why it has to be a console exclusive with this deal if what you are saying is true.

MS spent $500m on Rare and $2.5b on Minecraft, not to mention Shenmue 2 came out on Xbox, you're right, shoulda woulda coulda but they didn't find that spare money in the couch for so many years.

Heck whose to say without Sony's input it would have just been PC exclusive.

Soi-Fong

MS spent $500m on Rare and $2.5b on Minecraft, not to mention Shenmue 2 came out on Xbox, you're right, shoulda woulda coulda but they didn't find that spare money in the couch for so many years.

Heck whose to say without Sony's input it would have just been PC exclusive.

Yeah... If MS can spend that much money on fattening up Notch's wallet, they can spend a few million to help Shenmue 3 get made. Clearly, they had no interest.

I blame them.
Fuck those people.

It's crystal clear that Sony and Shibuya will poor in more money, apart from what will be collected via Kickstarter.
Did anyone really thought that Sony would recieve the money ? Or that they would show the contracts with the exacts sums of money that Ys will get ?

What's the freaking problem ?
You get Shenmue 3 for 29$, something that no one would have betted a single dime on, and yet people are so eager to talk so much nonsense.

I get that the whole campaign should have provided alot more informations along the way, but this concern trolling and console warrior bullshit is annoying.

The goal is 2m, that's what necessary to revive the franchise.
Everything else will provide a bigger and better game obviously...

Some people act like they get nothing in return...
Even if you're cautious towards it, you can at least shut up and just wait.
After all, kickstar won't be the only platform you can get the game on.
It will surely join steam and the PSN, so you can still purchase it once it's done, IF you're so damn concerned.
No need to waste your precious 29$....

Seriously the whole thing is just a non-issue. If you for some stupid reason was skeptical of Sony's involvement then you could just wait until the game is made and then buy it after reviews and not once risk a penny of your own money. Not sure why anyone would be concerned or even care where the money is coming from. If you backed it's not like you are just giving them money. You get a copy of the game!!!!! For as low as $29!!!

Synth

The only reason you think a lot of things have gone wrong with this KS is because it's not coming out on the XB1. Plain and simple, clear as day.

For someone who keeps complaining about the campaign being hampered by console war BS, you sure have made an effort to inject as much console war BS as possible yourself into practically every post you've made on the matter.

How about some people are talking about the campaign being flawed because it actually is, and would be regardless of if it were coming out on their chosen platform? Xbox One owners aren't harming this campaign... if they're Xbox only, then the campaign can't get their money, complaints or not. The only potential backers that can affect the campaign are those that would be interested in playing it on either PS4 or PC, but are hesistant to pledge for other reasons. Those other reasons (uncertainty of what <$10m will produce, or the incorrect assumption that the external funding negates the reason for to pledge more) are not console war related, and are flaws in the kickstarter campaign itself, or how it has been presented.

Your "shut up, it's not on Xbox deal with it" responses aren't helpful in the slightest, as you're just pissing off the second group, whilst assuming them to be part of the first (who you can't get a pledge from regardless). Your posts have been the most "console war BS" in this entire thread... by a long fucking measure.

The backer pace is actually slowing down. It only picked up $30k in the last 24 hours, with the 2 days before it getting $50k per day.

This is only on pace now for about $4.5-4.7 million.

eso76

Those on the fence who don't plan to play Shenmue I & II should really watch longplays or at least cutscenes montages.

There's no way you wouldn't want to back this after seeing Shenmue II 3rd disc finale and 4th disc. :p

Dremark

Banned
For someone who keeps complaining about the campaign being hampered by console war BS, you sure have made an effort to inject as much console war BS as possible yourself into practically every post you've made on the matter.

How about some people are talking about the campaign being flawed because it actually is, and would be regardless of if it were coming out on their chosen platform? Xbox One owners aren't harming this campaign... if they're Xbox only, then the campaign can't get their money, complaints or not. The only potential backers that can affect the campaign are those that would be interested in playing it on either PS4 or PC, but are hesistant to pledge for other reasons. Those other reasons (uncertainty of what >$10m will produce, or the incorrect assumption that the external funding negates the reason for to pledge more) are not console war related, and are flaws in the kickstarter campaign itself, or how it has been presented.

Your "shut up, it's not on Xbox deal with it" responses aren't helpful in the slightest, as you're just pissing off the second group, whilst assuming them to be part of the first (who you can't get a pledge from regardless). Your posts have been the most "console war BS" in this entire thread... by a long fucking measure.

In all seriousness most of these issues came up in Bloodstained's Kickstarter (The it's not coming to platform X/Y concerns morphed to it is coming to platform X/Y concerns though) however they did a good job in addressing them. They were also forthcoming about the outside funding from the get go, but in all honesty I assumed Sony was involved in this from the start.

I think the level of scrutiny is a bit higher as it's a bigger budget game and it's a lot more visible from the mainstream. Anyway I think they should focus on addressing people's concerns as much as possible. Obviously not everyone is going to be happy or convinced but the more detail they give the more informed people will be and everyone will be better off.

Dremark

Banned
The backer pace is actually slowing down. It only picked up $30k in the last 24 hours, with the 2 days before it getting $50k per day.

This is only on pace now for about $4.5-4.7 million.

These projects generally have huge jumps final day. Also because the word go out on this big time from day one, it may have already reached a lot of the people who would pitch in as the project went on.

I think aspects of this Kickstarter could be dealt with better but I don't think this is Doom and Gloom like people seem to be starting to suggest.

I swear, people better not not donate and then play Shenmue III and then wish they had given money. People who haven't touched Shenmue - you need to trust us guys, Shenmue is 100% worth your money!

I'll probably up my pledge at the last minute from $300 to $500.

I'm sure there are other equally committed Shenmue fans who will look at where the goal is on the final day and think "I can give a little more". Personally, I know a few people who are waiting to get paid at the end of the month before donating. So maybe we'll get a small boost then.

I'm not too bothered if they make the $10 million goal or not. As long as we get a true Shenmue sequel. Actually, it makes me worry about feature-creep. I want a focussed design, not extra ticks on a checklist made to justify the extra cash.

jcjimher

The irony for all those people holding out for a physical PS4 version is that the mere existance of such a version might depend of the success of this Kickstarter.

I think it's unlikely that a small scale indie $2 million game will get more than a digital release on PS4, while a full fledged $10 million open world one has a much higher chance.

So maybe the best strategy for them would be backing now with the $29 tier, and if the PS4 physical release finally happens, wait for it to fall prices and pick it up when it reaches 29$ or such (playing the digital version in the meanwhile :)).

Theonik

The irony for all those people holding out for a physical PS4 version is that the mere existance of such a version might depend of the success of this Kickstarter.

I think it's unlikely that a small scale indie $2 million game will get more than a digital release on PS4, while a full fledged $10 million open world one has a much higher chance.

So maybe the best strategy for them would be backing now with the $29 tier, and if the PS4 physical release finally happens, wait for it to fall prices and pick it up when it reaches 29$ or such (playing the digital version in the meanwhile :)).
That would be the rational thing to do especially since pledges are not final.

I'll probably up my pledge at the last minute from $300 to $500.

I'm sure there are other equally committed Shenmue fans who will look at where the goal is on the final day and think "I can give a little more". Personally, I know a few people who are waiting to get paid at the end of the month before donating. So maybe we'll get a small boost then.

I'm not too bothered if they make the $10 million goal or not. As long as we get a true Shenmue sequel. Actually, it makes me worry about feature-creep. I want a focussed design, not extra ticks on a checklist made to justify the extra cash.

I'm on the same boat. I'll probably up my pledge in the final hours of the campaign. I'm actually willing to donate just for the sake of it but it would be nice if they introduce some nice tiers until then.

I never played Shenmue but Yu Suzuki is a man worthy of my respect so I am pledging $120. The fans and Mr. Suzuki deserve better.
You're good people dude. Shenmue actually helped me keep it together in a really bad time, there's really nothing quite like it. It's not a game for everyone but it is something unique.

I'll double my pledge. We need to at least get to 5 million. Iga did it, should totally be possible with Shenmue. I don't even care if it's at a Dreamcast game in terms of the scale. Shenmue 2 was huge.

Arabian Mage said:
I never played Shenmue but Yu Suzuki is a man worthy of my respect so I am pledging $120. The fans and Mr. Suzuki deserve better.

Yes. This exactly. I'm backing out of principal. Yu Suzuki has legitimately innovated gaming(with the help of his team obviously). Going back decades. I encourage people to go to his wikipedia and look at his body of work.

I'm considering pledging some money, but I've never played the games before so I don't know if it's my thing. I'll look for a cheap copy of the second one on Xbox, I don't have a Dreamcast.

Trojan X

Banned
MS can do the same for the XB1 version. Still doesn't explain why it has to be a console exclusive with this deal if what you are saying is true.

Because MS didn't gave a damn when Yu Suzuki approached them. That's the ultimate reason why. Maybe they will give a damn later in the campaign because, like every other publisher out there, they want to see more proof in the pudding before giving any support or they simply didn't care. So everyone should be at least thanking Sony to a degree. Note that there is no real exclusivity here unless Sony decides to go ALL-IN to fund the rest of whatever is missing to make Yu Suzuki fulfill 100% of his vision. Unfortunately, this hasn't been confirmed by Sony yet though the hints are there that it is a possibility, but that's pure speculation.

So again, blame Microsoft.

Anth0ny

I donated $29. I never really got into Shenmue, but I think this is an important enough project to be worthy of my money.

I'm in the same position. I might upgrade to $60 because I like physical stuff, we'll see.

Never played the first two. I want to, but now they're expensive as shit.

Justinh

I played the first game and loved it, but never completed the second. I couldn't get motivated enough since there would be no conclusion.

I'm excited that there could be an end to the story so I'm going to try and complete it soon, probably this week.

This kickstarter rubs me the wrong way, though. Nowhere in that pitch video did he mention 10 million dollars but he made sure to say and caption "But this Kickstarter will be a real success when you choose to make it the full-on Shenmue experience you have dreamed of." Like...maybe afterwards he should have said something like "if you reach the stretch goals." To me it feels like if 10 million is what's really needed to make the game we'd want, then 10 million should've been the goal all along.

I'll just wait for the release and buy it then.
Full on respect for Space Harrier, though. just wanted to say that.

Edit: I'm getting a reminder email 48 hours before the campaign ends, I'm still considering backing the project.

Top Bottom