• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Naka wishes to again pitch a Mario & Sonic action game to Takashi Iizuka (Sega)

No, it isn't. Sonic games age very badly, and even during their time of release aren't as good as most mainline Mario titles. You take stuff like Sonic Generations, which most deem a good game, and it's not even remotely close to something like the NSMB line. It may be silly when comparing it to other franchises and companies, but in this case, Nintendo created a great iteration of a character that has had a serious rollercoaster of a life(though still successful, somehow). Sega games age like shit, so this point compounds it.
While I agree Sonic best platformers aren't as great as Mario's best, to say that even Sonic's greatest titles like 3 & Knuckles or CD have aged to become shit is just plain silly. Yes, the Adventure games are biggest offenders of Sonic games aging badly but don't drag the ones that are still being praised to that level by the virtue of being Sonic. The series has had downs but it's ups still exist.

Also, "Sega games age like shit"? All of them? Even the ones people love to this day like NiGHTS, Skies of Arcadia and Jet Set Radio?

Mario & Sonic RPG by the fine folks who made Bowser's Inside Story pls

But a crossover title in the same vein as Generations would be great.
Yeah, I'm not sure how an action game would work, but I would be more than satisfied with something like this

Now I'm trying to think about mixing the playstyles up. This is tough.

Was thinking of sonic with really fast ground pounds and wall jumps that give a ton of height, but I'm not sure that actually does

Peterc

I always liked to see an adventure game where you can play with both characters,
with a mix of levels between mario and sonic using a nice balance.

I prefer EAD1 team to make the game with some help from sega.

Personally i didn't liked the 3D sonic games so much. EAD1 has good experience in making wonderful 3d adventure mario games and i know they will deliver a wonderful game.

I always like the art from sonic games, i liked the environment from the black knight. I hoped it was some kind of adventure game, but they maked this game again like the rest of the 3d sonic games.

300px-SatBK_TP2.jpg

What are your thoughts about it?

KingBroly

Banned
Sega has to step their Sonic game up first, IMO.

Otherwise, Nintendo is likely to embarrass them with how they handle Sonic's mechanics and level design.

There'd be no going back to a Sega-made Sonic game if Nintendo made one as it stands today.

And you can FORGET about Sega handling Mario's gameplay.

I think an RPG spin-off with action elements would work best. Still keep it faster paced to differentiate it from the other Mario RPG's and to accommodate the Sonic-side of things, but also let's them work in an elaborate plot without it feeling out of place in a Mario game.

Back in 2005, Yuji Naka spoke to the Nintendo Official Magazine about Sonic Vs Mario along with a variety of topics. The whole interview is a very interesting read, but here's the excerpt:

NOM: In the days of the Super NES and Mega Drive, Sonic and Mario were huge rivals. Could they ever be in a game together?

Naka: There is a possibility because when I speak to Shigeru Miyamoto, we often toy with the idea. We always say it would be cool, but because of development timing it’s never actually happened. But yeah, it’s very possible. When the time comes…

NOM: Wow! C’mon, tell us… have you had any early ideas on how it might be done? Maybe in a racing game, or Sonic being in the next Super Smash Bros.?

Naka: Imagine Sonic in Mario Kart. Obviously Sonic wouldn’t need a kart because he’s so fast he could just run [laughs]. In that sense, you can imagine how hard it would be to fit them in a game together.

NOM: Yeah, they are vastly different…

Naka: Exactly. We’d have to REALLY think about how we’d put them together otherwise these two characters would completely destroy the game. So when Miyamoto-san and I speak about it, we usually decide that separate games are better. And that’s mainly why we’ve never gone ahead and made the game.

It wouldn’t be that difficult to make Sonic show up briefly in a Mario game. But if Mario and Sonic were to be in a game together they should really have starring roles, like a Mario vs Sonic sort of thing.

Robotnik and bowser switch marios and Sonic's move sets. The game is about them learning how to control each other's powers enough so that they can switch back. Each level focuses on a certain skill of their and the level is designed around it.

You're welcome

Kintor

Banned
Perhaps back in 2007 this idea might have held merit, when the Wii was at its zenith of popularity. However, here we are nearly a decade later and Nintendo's influence in the industry has waned considerably. There is no longer anything to be gained for the Sonic franchise by wasting more resources on Nintendo exclusives. I don't own a WiiU and I won't be buying a NX, a stance shared by most Sonic fans. In the end, Sega's efforts would be better spent making another next-gen game (PC, PS4 and Xbox One) to compliment Project Sonic 2017.

Perhaps back in 2007 this idea might have held merit, when the Wii was at its zenith of popularity. However, here we are nearly a decade later and Nintendo's influence in the industry has waned considerably. There is no longer anything to be gained for the Sonic franchise by wasting more resources on Nintendo exclusives. I don't own a WiiU and I won't be buying a NX, a stance shared by most Sonic fans. In the end, Sega's efforts would be better spent making another next-gen game (PC, PS4 and Xbox One) to compliment Project Sonic 2017.

Wasn't some of the last few Sonic games released on Nintendo consoles only? And don't presume to speak for all Sonic fans since a lot of them do own Nintendo consoles, there is definitely crossover there between them.

He's the classic Sonic level designer who just left Nintendo, isn't he?

Yup, get him to make it and I'm in.

Indeed he is. He directed Sonic 3 & Knuckles and was the lead designer of the Genesis/MD era Sonic games. He used to be at Naughty Dog as a designer as well. So he's left Nintendo now? Wasn't there for that long.

A Mario & Sonic platformer could work if it were structured like Sonic Generations; just replace Classic Sonic with Mario.

You could have Mario traversing 2D Sonic areas, and Sonic running through Mario areas.

I'm pretty sure one of the creators of Sonic just wants to make a game with him and Mario.

I'm pretty sure that most of what there is to it...

Kintor

Banned
Wasn't some of the last few Sonic games released on Nintendo consoles only? And don't presume to speak for all Sonic fans since a lot of them do own Nintendo consoles, there is definitely crossover there between them.
Any links between Nintendo consoles and the Sonic fanbase are tenuous at best these days, as the low sales of every Sonic game on the WiiU attest. The needs of the Sonic fanbase, which is primarily to play new Sonic games, are better met on non-Nintendo platforms. Fortunately, both Sonic Mania and Project Sonic 2017 have brought an end to Nintendo exclusivity, which will herald a new era of prosperity for the Sonic franchise as a whole.

I'm pretty sure one of the creators of Sonic just wants to make a game with him and Mario.

I'm pretty sure that most of what there is to it...
Yuji Naka left Sega years ago; he no longer has any say in how future Sonic games are developed. If anything, the fact that he's going to public with this idea, rather than talking to Sega directly, shows his lack of influence. However, the way he's going about the idea is just going to cause trouble, stirring up discontent over an idea that doesn't make any business sense at all.

No thanks, I don't want Sega anywhere near the development of a non Olympics Mario game. We've had enough shitty years of Sonic games to take this risk.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Okay, so, this is a personal and somewhat complex web of nonsense involving a highly unstable individual I was friends and briefly FWBs with, but I can only assume there will be a never-ending clusterfuck on gaf now until the end of time, which inevitably involves you guys and gals on the mod team in some way, so I'm an open book here. The woman in question ended up being completely psychotic and held a grudge against me after a bizarre love triangle situation developed a few years ago between me, her, and another girl (the other girl I ended up in a long-term relationship with shortly thereafter). This NOLA story she apparently just put up on social media is a delusion of a deeply disturbed person who had a total psychological breakdown as a result of me and the other girl getting together, because she (phew, yeah...) became obsessively infatuated with the other girl (she's bi) on sight when the three of us met up. I wanted to just stay friends with the girl making the accusation and made it super super clear ahead of time that me and the other girl were interested in each other romantically and that could play out as such when we met up. Supposedly this was not a problem for her from accusation, but in reality she uhhh wanted me to die painfully after seeing me and the other girl interact. Plus she became infatuated with the other girl simultaneously to this (she's bi), which created the aforementioned bizarre love triangle that ended up causing her to implode and have an apparently very intense and long-lasting grudge. The whole story about how that love triangle thing played out is, frankly, nuts and scary, and involves this girl bringing us to a compound of dangerous scientology spinoff cultists on that same trip, who roofied us, attempted to recruit/scam me and attempted to abduct/rape the girl I ended up dating, in what was a fucking scary situation that resulted in me and the other girl and the rest of my friend circle never speaking to this girl from the accusation again.

I'd much rather have a Nintendo (co-)developed Sonic platformer.

That way, they can hopefully come up with something that'll work for Sonic.

The likely outcome would just be a Sonic game that has smaller but numerous levels and a bigger focus on power-up/abilities (like Colors), but it'll be well made and will especially be a huge learning experience for Sega.

Doesn't have to be EAD that helps out either. Retro, HAL and Good-feel already proved themselves.

Aki-at

No thanks, I'd rather have a full fledged Sonic game and one that actually tries to work in 3D rather than switch perspectives because making multiple routes in 3D is hard. I'd be more hyped if RGG Studio or AM2 were given the reigns of the franchise personally.

Not sure if there is much appetite for this within Nintendo and SEGA anyway, SEGA surely want Sonic to gain more exposure on as many platforms and for Nintendo, why not just make another Mario game that will essentially sell a lot anyway?

No, it isn't. Sonic games age very badly, and even during their time of release aren't as good as most mainline Mario titles. You take stuff like Sonic Generations, which most deem a good game, and it's not even remotely close to something like the NSMB line. It may be silly when comparing it to other franchises and companies, but in this case, Nintendo created a great iteration of a character that has had a serious rollercoaster of a life(though still successful, somehow). Sega games age like shit, so this point compounds it.

Fair enough that you don't like Sonic games but SEGA's 3D games from AM2 in the early 90s have aged considerably better than their rivals and are still fantastic till this day. Even other titles like Shinobi 3, Ristar etc all continue to be great.

Sonic and his one non-shitty friend?

Eh... Getting real sick of seeing the same characters (+5 babies and recolors) in Mario Karts and most other spin-offs - and Mario RPGs consisting of nothing but Toads from now on irks me enough to likely not buy them anymore.

If Sonic's cast is corny, Mario's is insultingly bland.

Peterc

https://youtu.be/oYbFVZTdxn0

i think this 3d sonic is the best one they made.
I never played this, but it feels more like a adventure game instead of running the whole time.

This is the direction they have to take. It's not that they need to stop making those running game, they still can use it as spin-off game.

He was there for around 4 years, it just seems like he wasn't there for long because he didn't do (or at least release) anything interesting while he was there.

Sounds like a simple case of it just not working out for either party unfortunately. Canned projects and all that. Getting the real mastermind behind Sonic (sorry Naka) to join Nintendo and working on a cool Mario or platforming game in general would have been very interesting to see, shame it never panned out.

Top Bottom