• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Naka wishes to again pitch a Mario & Sonic action game to Takashi Iizuka (Sega)

Nintendo would never get Sonic's gameplay right, so it would need to be co-developed.

The idea sounds okay, but honestly, I don't think modern Sega is consistent enough to do it, and I don't think Nintendo has the capacity or talent to do it (just look at how Sega had to develop the best F-Zero game ever for them because Sega gets how to do speed-based gameplay in a way that Nintendo does not).

Mario & Sonic RPG by the fine folks who made Bowser's Inside Story pls

This sounds like a much better idea. RPG would be fine, but a platformer crossover would be pretty disappointing, most likely.

PSqueak

Banned
If this is a step towards eventually getting "Mario & Sonic: Super Star Kart Racing", i'll gladly buy whatever they cook up.

Ivan 3414

Sonic is the freeloading homeless character of gaming canon who has only survived this long by shopping dubious sexual favors. I don't mind if Nintendo wants to take Sonic in and nurse his shriveled corpse back to health, but partnering him with the royalty of Mario straight from the jump shouldn't be happening.

Take this shit post out of here

That looks baller as fuck, so yes.
Nintendo would never get Sonic's gameplay right, so it would need to be co-developed.

The idea sounds okay, but honestly, I don't think modern Sega is consistent enough to do it, and I don't think Nintendo has the capacity or talent to do it (just look at how Sega had to develop the best F-Zero game ever for them because Sega gets how to do speed-based gameplay in a way that Nintendo does not).

This sounds like a much better idea. RPG would be fine, but a platformer crossover would be pretty disappointing, most likely.

Have Sonic play in Mario's levels with a Sonic twist, and have Mario play in Sonic's levels with a Mario twist. The only hard part would be deciding how Mario would play. 2D, or like 3D World/Galaxy?
If this is a step towards eventually getting "Mario & Sonic: Super Star Kart Racing", i'll gladly buy whatever they cook up.

Hopefully developed by Sumo Digital. But that's only personal preference since I haven't enjoyed a Mario Kart since Double Dash.

Dystify

Care to elaborate?

I like the idea in theory. It would be really nifty if it was something small- something as simple as Sonic getting added to the New Super Mario Brothers NX game. Ever since Sega started focusing on software, when the possibility opened (over a decade ago?) for those guys to jam on the same system I think it's been underutilized and a long time coming.

I think when people hear this they think it'll be a Sonic game (with a Sonic-like story and gameplay) with Mario characters (without the great Mario gameplay mechanics) which is a huge turn off.

It'd need to be something totally new or different to actually become a good game, in my opinion. It needs to be more than a story driven Sonic/Mario mashup. It needs great gameplay comparable to real Mario games.

Mario is becoming increasingly like Sonic, see Super Mario 3D World.
Sonici is becoming increasingly like Mario, see Sonic Lost World.
Nintendo has been more open about cross-overs and sharing their IPs around recently, and we know that their games are being made by younger developers now, who are bringing something more modern and creative to the games (see Breath Of The Wild).
And the M&S Olympic Games title are losing sales and popularity with every instalment.

The timing is just right for such a project to be approved. But it also does not fit with Nintendo's philosophy - first think up of new ways to make a game fun, then think up of everything else. How can Mario become better by being mixed with Sonic (and conversely, how can Sonic be made better by being mixed with Mario, without losing its identity along the way)? I believe that is the reason the project did not work out to begin with.

Opa-Pa

I don't care for the Mario part save for the novelty of seeing the crossover finally happen, but if the only way to get a well-designed 3D Sonic game is to have Nintendo supervising then sure, I want it.

He wants Super Mario Bros. Z.
We don't deserve Super Mario Bros. Z.

jett

D-Member
Mario_riding_sonic_instead_of_yoshi.jpg

Mr Swine

Banned
Yes yes yes please! With Nintendo supervising the game! I want a Bowser and Dr Eggman bromance taking on Mario and Sonic!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm imagining a 2D game where you have differing gates. Some use pipes and busting through bricks that only Mario can get through, some use loop-de-loops and other contraptions that only Sonic can get through.

Sami+

A crossover RPG by the Mario & Luigi guys or Atlus would be siiiiick. That'd be the best solution imo.

dlauv

Those two names in one headline is enough to make me apprehensive, and I'm not talking about Mario and Sonic.

All that does is raise Sonic up at the cost of dragging Mario down. I'd rather just have a good Mario game. And if Sega would do the development (thus not interfering with development of a full-fledged Mario title), then I'd honestly rather not have the game at all. It'd probably be awful.

It would still be more of a buy to me than a new NSMB game.

You could just make a RPG (Mario and Luigi or Paper Mario) and add some Sonic characters in it (Sonic, Tails, Knuckles and Amy at best) and have some unique team dynamics.

Then again maybe another studio make it that's possible too.

It can be great if well made, much like the dual gameplay of Sonic Generations.
Yeah, this is how I'd see it work. It'd be interesting how level gimmicks and power-ups would work in each style.

Plus, the idea of Sonic blasting through Bob-omb Battlefield and Mario jumping around Speed Highway just seems funny to me.

retroman

Sure, why not? A Mario & Sonic game has the potential to be great. Just get rid of that whole Olympics nonsense and build a solid platformer that suits both play styles. Easier said than done of course, but at least the developers won't longer be forced to build the game around the same old Olympic events each instalment.

Piers

I could only see it work if Sonic is severely hampered in some form: like he cannot jump. The fact his games are about finishing stages that'd take Mario far more time speaks a lot for how awkward it'd be to mesh their styles together.

And RPG could work but given the very iffy background of Sonic's attempts at storytelling, it'd feel a little too weird to see together with Mario.

My thoughts exactly. On top of that, Sega developed game age terribly, something that most mainline Mario titles excel at. If this were to happen, Nintendo would have to do it. They gave Sonic more justice in one game(Smash Bros) than Sega ever did.
Sonic Team have made some garbage Sonic games but to say a third-party character inclusion that was done at the last second does more justice to a character than anything the creators have done in 25 years is just silly.

Get artists from Sega, but please make sure it's programmed by Nintendo.

Not even that for me, everything done by Nintendo. Full stop
yes, even music, I know about that sonic vs mario music thread

And Izuka and the rest of the Sonic Team gets a restrain order of staying 1km out of the building the game is being developed in.

It'd be interesting sure but i'm not sure how they can work together when Mario is about slow and methodological platforming and Sonic is about speed and quick reaction.

Isn't Mario straight up faster than Sonic? (edit: classic mario vs classic sonic)

Also, Sonic 1-3&K are platforming focused games that are about finding alternate routes, not speed and quick reaction. Generally speaking, the shitty Sonic games that people complain about are the ones with hold right and go fast mechanics.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
That could work, I'd even be satisfied with just a 3D World/Land style game with Mario, Luigi, Sonic, and Tails. I think Sonic can blend into Mario's gameplay pretty easy if you had to settle with one game type.

I guess I can see it. Mechanically, Sonic takes Toad's place and Tails takes Peach's?

Mario & Sonic Generations. Sonic plays Mario's most famous stages and Mario do the same in the Sonic world. I'm calling it

Sonic Lost World felt like it was trying to be a Nintendo game, especially with the DLC levels which are arguably the best part about that game.

Not even close

Meh I'll pass if it's Sega doing the development.

That works terrible in F-Zero GX, I'll give you that

All that does is raise Sonic up at the cost of dragging Mario down. I'd rather just have a good Mario game. And if Sega would do the development (thus not interfering with development of a full-fledged Mario title), then I'd honestly rather not have the game at all. It'd probably be awful.

Poor Mario :'(

You know you are gona get a new Mario game developed by EAD anyway don't you?

RPGamer92

Banned
I think a Mario x Sonic Cross Generations game would be cool. Like Sonic Generations but also a mix of Mario ones as well.
Edit: God dammit, beaten.

Sonic Team have made some garbage Sonic games but to say a third-party character inclusion that was done at the last second does more justice to a character than anything the creators have done in 25 years is just silly.
No, it isn't. Sonic games age very badly, and even during their time of release aren't as good as most mainline Mario titles. You take stuff like Sonic Generations, which most deem a good game, and it's not even remotely close to something like the NSMB line. It may be silly when comparing it to other franchises and companies, but in this case, Nintendo created a great iteration of a character that has had a serious rollercoaster of a life(though still successful, somehow). Sega games age like shit, so this point compounds it.

Zubz

Banned
This would've been great for Mario & Luigi game if that franchise wasn't as stale-yet-omnipresent like old breadsticks at an Olive Garden.

However, taking the Generations route seems perfect! I'd love to see an attempt at a mesh, but that could easily backfire. Meanwhile, this seems pretty nail-on-the-head.

How would this work without it feeling disjointed, or without compromising one of the two characters?

The posters here suggesting a Sonic Generation type scenario are asking for two different games smacked into one, which defeats the entire point of a unique cross over.

Yukinari

No, it isn't. Sonic games age very badly, and even during their time of release aren't as good as most mainline Mario titles. You take stuff like Sonic Generations, which most deem a good game, and it's not even remotely close to something like the NSMB line. It may be silly when comparing it to other franchises and companies, but in this case, Nintendo created a great iteration of a character that has had a serious rollercoaster of a life(though still successful, somehow). Sega games age like shit, so this point compounds it.

Are you talking sales or the game itself?

Cause i would take Generations any day of the week over NSMB. NSMB games may sell great but that series dropped off a cliff and is not my platformer of choice when i think Mario.

Davey Cakes

No thanks.
To be honest, this is kind of how I feel.

Back when the very first announcement for Olympic Games was made, or even earlier (when the Mario & Sonic combo was hinted at) is around the time I would've been excited for this sort of game. That is, an action game with Mario & Sonic as opposed to a casual sports one or something else. But for me, that ship has sailed, and Smash kind of scratched the crossover itch anyway.

Plus I'm just not that into Sonic these days and putting him and Mario together isn't particularly enticing. I'd rather Mario games focus on expanding Mario's own universe.

Randomizer

If a true Mario x Sonic were to happen, Nintendo EPD would need to be the developers and Yuji Naka should have no involvement. It would also probably be the best game to feature Sonic lol.

Top Bottom