• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Art Thread

GDGF

Soothsayer
PounchEnvy said:
Link_LOZ_with_items.png

I want to see this in cel-shaded form. It would look like an awesome old anime. I want all the items to be visible too. That would be fun.

Yeah, that's probably my favorite image of Link right there. Just love the 80's anime/manga style of it.

apana

This looks like Zelda inspired by Avatar:The Last Airbender. I would like to see an animated Zelda cartoon in that style. M. Night Shymalan to direct the live action Zelda movie confirmed!

1288710176zelda1.jpg

apana

Also this deserves its own post. A classic:

BGBW said:
jae7vm.jpg

War has changed. It's no longer about Hyrule, ideologies or ethnicity. It's an endless series of sword battles, fought by Moblins and Hylians. War, and its consumption of life, has become a well-oiled Spinner. War has changed. NPC monsters carry ID sidequests, resulting in ID gear. Rupees inside their bodies to emerge when defeated. Genetic control. Information control. Emotion control. Mask control. Everything is monitored, and kept in control. War has changed. The age of deterrence has become the age of Waggle control. All in the name of averting catastrophe from weapons of one dungeon usage. And he who controls the Triforce, controls history. War has changed. When the battlefield is under total control, war...brings more smiles to more faces.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Link's Awakening concept art is about as good as it gets for me.

Some fanart from people I liked

custom_1250554763810_Zelda.jpg

tumblr_lf9momdofC1qzi7n7o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lej3ciMy911qc9pipo1_1280.jpg

The_Zelda_legend_by_Pertheseus.jpg

tumblr_lc76zzq79k1qzykafo1_500.jpg

I've also done some myself, but if somebody here cares to look for it and likes it, then post away.

Oh, as a bonus. If someday we catch up technology wise, Id like to see a Zelda game explore this aesthetic:

waterway_by_artbytheo-d30mqzd.jpg

apana

Raging Spaniard I love what you posted. If Wii 2 is roughly equivalent in power to a PS3, or even a little bit better, there will be so many amazing possiblities for Nintendo to explore. I thought the look lof last guardian would be great for a Zelda game:

E3-expo-The-Last-Guardian-001-2877.jpg

GCX

The most amazing thing about Zelda series is that Yusuke Nakano has been in charge of the concept art for OOT, MM, WW, TP and SS.

Best and most versatile concept artist in the industry right there.

apana

GCX said:
The most amazing thing about Zelda series is that Yusuke Nakano has been in charge of the concept art for OOT, MM, WW, TP and SS.

Best and most versatile concept artist in the industry right there.

A self portrait of Yusuke Nakano:

3-p.jpg

He was inspired by Frank Frazetta

death-dealer-frazetta.jpg

Hiltz

Personally, I've always liked The Wind Waker's art style the best. The character designs were awesome and the environments looked beautiful. Plus, I've never been much of a fan for photorealistic graphics. However, I did like the character designs of Link, Zelda, Midna (imp form) and Zant (with mask on) from Twilight Princess.

So far, I like the look of Skyward Sword but obviously we've only seen very little of what it looks like. With that said, those red bokoblins do look kind of goofy. They could be mistaken for gay pirates. Hopefully, it won''t feature some creepy character designs like those found in Twilight Princess. ( those two creepy clown guys and pretty much all of the Hyrulian npc characters).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Raging Spaniard said:

Probably my favourite fanart of Link ever, although it is missing brown-haired Link.

Raging Spaniard said:

tumblr_lf9momdofC1qzi7n7o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lej3ciMy911qc9pipo1_1280.jpg

The_Zelda_legend_by_Pertheseus.jpg

tumblr_lc76zzq79k1qzykafo1_500.jpg

I've also done some myself, but if somebody here cares to look for it and likes it, then post away.

Oh, as a bonus. If someday we catch up technology wise, Id like to see a Zelda game explore this aesthetic:

waterway_by_artbytheo-d30mqzd.jpg

Great finds here.
And please, if you have some, post it, Im sure its great!

apana

Nintendo never embraced the idea of a skinny Link like in this fanart. Reminds me of that one Disney Cartoon about King Arthur. Was it "The Sword In The Stone"?

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
UltimateIke said:

Boo. Die in a fire.

apana said:
Raging Spaniard I love what you posted. If Wii 2 is roughly equivalent in power to a PS3, or even a little bit better, there will be so many amazing possiblities for Nintendo to explore. I thought the look lof last guardian would be great for a Zelda game:

E3-expo-The-Last-Guardian-001-2877.jpg

I have to disagree. While it has its allure I dont think that level of fidelity is appropriate for Zelda. Maybe Im being too old fashion but I feel like that degree of accuracy fits Zelda as much as it would fit Mario. Zelda to me belongs in the more abstract and surreal setting, even for the darker and more serious entries like MM and TP. That level of fidelity adds a certain amount of reality not needed in Zelda.

The boy on the other hand is a bit of a different story, while still a bit too realistic looking than I think is fitting for Zelda, I do like how he is rendered. Something just a little bit more exaggerated could probably work for a Zelda quite well.

RedSwirl

PounchEnvy said:
Link_LOZ_with_items.png

I want to see this in cel-shaded form. It would look like an awesome old anime. I want all the items to be visible too. That would be fun.

Either this or studio Ghibli is what I would ideally like to see.

classicdms said:
It occurs to me that a Zelda game by way of Berserk's art aesthetics would be super interesting to look at.

This would also be acceptable if it were a little less gruesome.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
TommyT said:
Does that horse have to mouths?!

I guess steam is coming from it's nose. It cannot be unseen now.
The number you are looking for is "two".

And no. It's an undead horse that's missing the part of its face where its nose connects.

apana said:
This looks like Zelda inspired by Avatar:The Last Airbender. I would like to see an animated Zelda cartoon in that style. M. Night Shymalan to direct the live action Zelda movie confirmed!

1288710176zelda1.jpg

dont care for that artstyle at all, but i would love to see a zelda using a colourpalette like that

I hate the cheesy Zelda fanart, absolutely do. There are some gorgeous pieces out there though:

77979889cfa2a6fd899152eb9b89debc.jpg

Anyway, on the subject of the artstyle in the games, I absolutely love the N64 Zelda's for a couple of reasons, one of which is the art was really creepy at times. The polygonal models from the N64-age added a lot to this, but the art in itself was weird as fuck as well.

normal_postman.JPG

WEIRD!

And this is just plain terrifying:

ReDead_Artwork_(Ocarina_of_Time).png

TommyT

Shig said:
The number you are looking for is "two".

And no. It's an undead horse that's missing the part of its face where its nose connects.

ROFL I didn't even notice I put "to" instead of "two". :lol

Are you the artist? (sincere question)

apana

TommyT said:
ROFL I didn't even notice I put "to" instead of "two". :lol

Are you the artist? (sincere question)

Holy shit! Shig is actually Frank Frazetta! They have computers and internet in the afterlife!

TommyT

apana said:
Holy shit! Shig is actually Frank Frazetta! They have computers and internet in the afterlife!

lol sorry I didn't look up the artist. Personally I think it looks like steam from the nose, which is why I was prodding to get to why Shig called the horse undead as I've no information about the artist or this particular piece of work. Were it meant to be undead, I would be more inclined to look into the work as that's more interesting.

BUT! You never know, that could be how they communicate with us. Our world is one big internet of data and they are hacking our lives.... OUR LIVES!

apana

I wonder if Frank Frazetta ever even heard about Zelda. Here is a self portrait and some more paintings:

Frank-Frazetta-Self-Portrait.jpg

ff_silver_warrior.jpg

Eternal%20Champion.jpg

apana

disappeared said:
This is what Zelda needs to be about. The feeling of sheer adventure and awesome scale.

I agree 100 percent with you. I hope Skyward Sword integration of dungeon and overworld help capture some of this feeling.

apana

Apparently Frank Frazetta also influenced the creation of Ganondorf and female character models in Zelda. Nakano referred to it as "muscular, expressionistic art".

frank_frazetta_savagepellucidar.jpg

impa.jpg

I would post even better pictures but apparently exposed buttocks and nipples are against NeoGaf rules. Or maybe it doesn't apply in the case of art?

I think, perhaps somewhere down the line, Nintendo kind of forgot where the series' heart was. After Ocarina's blueprint they kind of just kept making the same game over and over without ever really expanding on the ideas that those old art pieces brought forth. Ocarina of Time was such a huge step in the right direction, but Miyamoto and his pals never pushed ahead with it. We are in an age - technically speaking - where those types of worlds and environments are entirely feasible. Not on the Wii of course, but perhaps on a future Nintendo console.

Dr.Hadji

Gurren Zelda is one of my favorites. Roh Roh fight the powa!

disappeared said:
I think, perhaps somewhere down the line, Nintendo kind of forgot where the series' heart was. After Ocarina's blueprint they kind of just kept making the same game over and over without ever really expanding on the ideas that those old art pieces brought forth. Ocarina of Time was such a huge step in the right direction, but Miyamoto and his pals never pushed ahead with it. We are in an age - technically speaking - where those types of worlds and environments are entirely feasible. Not on the Wii of course, but perhaps on a future Nintendo console.

Quick, someone post a WW pic. You know the one, Link on his boat outside of Windfall Island.

apana said:
I would post even better pictures but apprently exposed buttocks and nipples are against NeoGaf rules. Or maybe it doesn't apply in the case of art?

I'd post the URLs but place "NSFW" warnings around it.

Top Bottom