• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda BOTW Patch 1.11 released

FTF

Wii U player here.

Holy moley this runs much better! I was in a village during a storm, ran like piss. Just got the update, loaded up the rainy village again and it feels like a solid 30 fps now. I'm impressed!

Nice! Look forward to downloading and trying it out tomorrow.

Haven't been able to play in a week. Last I played I had just discovered THAT location which dropped like crazy. Still some frame drops, but any improvement will be taken. Gonna play for the next 2 hours!

Xdrive05

Can confirm dramatic improvement to docked play on Switch. The starting area next to the old man is much improved, dropped only very briefly (like a half second) and then smooth again. Before it would chunk up for like 10 seconds straight.

The certain unnamed forest area will still go 10fps with particular camera angles in a particular spot however. But the rest of that forest area definitely plays smoother now.

Nintendo delivered. Not perfect but so, so much better. I wonder if they're done or if they'll continue to patch performance going forward?

Malus

Maybe paranoid, but I just tried it and it seems like some special effects or graphics/resolution were dialed back to get an improved frame rate. I can't wait for DF to come through with some official analysis to see what Nintendo did to improve the framerate. Anybody else notice graphical differences in docked mode?

Could be paranoia, but grass looks worse, red grid special effects from magnises seems to be reduced which causes less slowdown. Was BotW confirmed to have adaptive vsync, because I could have sworn I saw slight tearing in the stone ground textures in the great plateau while adjusting my camera. Linear filtering seems worse and more blurry than I remember. The ground seems to blur closer to Link than ever.

I could be smoking it, but would like to know if others have noticed any downgrades to the games graphics or resolution?

Good, keep cutting stuff till the game runs 99% locked 30 fps pls.

Spinifex

I can't get Korok Forest to falter in portable mode. I know people are saying it drops in places but I seriously can't see it. I almost wish I waited to play now, I'm extremely sensitive to frame drops and the variable performance was my one glaring problem with the game.

Wii U player here.

Holy moley this runs much better! I was in a village during a storm, ran like piss. Just got the update, loaded up the rainy village again and it feels like a solid 30 fps now. I'm impressed!

really? we have multiple people including myself that haven't noticed an improvement.
Someone needs to do an actual test of some sort

I have to say,
Kakariko Villiage
is silky smooth, but
Korok Forest
is noticeably improved but still has dips.

And I'm playing on a docked Nintendo Switch.

OmahaG8

I quite enjoyed turning on my Switch for the first time in 2 days - my system update and Zelda update were both ready to rip. Dig it.

scitek

:(

Go to kakariko village, that place is unbearable because of the framerate

I feel like the framerate is better in Kakariko Village on the Wii U version post-patch, but the shitty thing is the game's still using double-buffered vsync, meaning it'll still drop to 20fps instead of staying between 20-30. Still, before the patch, the entire area was 20fps, now it's like half the village, which still sucks.

sirap

Still getting some slowdowns on the WiiU version, but they're less frequent than before. If I had to guess I'd say it performs sliiightly under the Switch version (unpatched).

Will check out the Switch once I get the damn wifi working lol.

JaseMath

So, if I played 95% docked, am I going to see any noticeable difference? Seems like the majority of the improvements are coming from the Wii U players.

So, if I played 95% docked, am I going to see any noticeable difference? Seems like the majority of the improvements are coming from the Wii U players.

Switch version has seen a lot of framerate improvement. Most of this talk about the forest framerate comes from Switch owners. Wii U owners are only seeing minimal improvements because it was probably the most optimized as it could be by launch for the Wii U already.

The Hermit

I have never found this to be true. Korok Forest is the bad one which is a damn shame given that it's the most magical place in the game.

Agreed, Kakariko is mostly fine for me even docked, but Korok Forest needs serious attention.

It is in the WiiU version though.

Btw, just tested and it's still fucked. It might have incremental improvement.

Also, for some reason, the looks a bit... Worse. More blurred I dunno.
I feel like the framerate is better in Kakariko Village on the Wii U version post-patch, but the shitty thing is the game's still using double-buffered vsync, meaning it'll still drop to 20fps instead of staying between 20-30. Still, before the patch, the entire area was 20fps, now it's like half the village, which still sucks.

Yeah, this is closer to my findings.

Oh well :/

ss_lemonade

I can't get Korok Forest to falter in portable mode. I know people are saying it drops in places but I seriously can't see it. I almost wish I waited to play now, I'm extremely sensitive to frame drops and the variable performance was my one glaring problem with the game.
Seems to run the same for me, though maybe the framerate's more stable now? I do still see the same framerate hit in portable mode, in the forest while having something like the magnet ability enabled but that was the only quick comparison I did pre and post patch.

On Switch docked here. Ok so I went back go K
akariko
V
illage
to test the framerate. Seems like it's pretty much fixed, but one interesting thing that happens is if you're standing facing the
prayer statue/the rest of the village, the framerate will drop if you zoom in and out by clicking the right thumbstick. Try zooming in on the statue—zooming in on the sky or the forest above won't cause the dip in framerate.
Obviously much better than how things were previously, but just wanted to report my findings.

Kandinsky

It is in the WiiU version though.

Btw, just tested and it's still fucked. It might have incremental improvement.

Also, for some reason, the looks a bit... Worse. More blurred I dunno.

Are you talking about the wii u version here?, because if so, then yeah, it's weird, the textures on the shrine entrances look blurrier for example, idk, maybe I'm crazy haha

Luigiv

How do you update on WII U? Not getting an option anywhere.

Pray to the network gods that patch server senpai will notice you.

Usually the system will automatically check when you boot up a game, but sometimes that doesn't work when the patch is still fresh. Otherwise just give the system some time (a few hours) and it'll eventually start auto downloading the update.

Docked on Switch is much improved across the board in my experience. It feels smoother and more responsive also, was not expecting that.

Not really, to be honest, to me it feels the same as before :/

Eh there is no fucking way you could actually think it runs the same. I just booted it up and it's night and day. The thing was a god damn slide show before. There are still drops but it is noticeably better.

Pray to the network gods that patch server senpai will notice you.

Usually the system will automatically check when you boot up a game, but sometimes that doesn't work when the patch is still fresh. Otherwise just give the system some time (a few hours) and it'll eventually start auto downloading the update.

Just go to the system settings and click update system. Then reload the game and it should update.

atbigelow

Saw there were performance updates and quickly loaded up the game and went to THAT forest. It still dips in docked, but it stays around 30 FPS way more than it did.

Also tested out one of the shrines surrounded by grass and jagged rocks. Used to crawl when you even got close to that place, but seems to run almost flawless now.

Glad I still have 20 hours until I hit 100!

Can you easily delete the update on Switch? Say if it is confirmed that the patch is a visual downgrade and I'd rather have better textures and shadows than framerate.

Memles

Played a few hours with the update tonight, and honestly I saw more issues with Moblin fighting than I had before - big drops battling some in
Hyrule Castle
as I did some cleanup work exploring. Portable mode.

ckaneo

Played a few hours with the update tonight, and honestly I saw more issues with Moblin fighting than I had before - big drops battling some in
Hyrule Castle
as I did some cleanup work exploring. Portable mode.
Moblin bug wasn't fixed.

Doctre81

Can you easily delete the update on Switch? Say if it is confirmed that the patch is a visual downgrade and I'd rather have better textures and shadows than framerate.

There isn't going to be a downgrade. It was a bug causing the framerate problems in the first place.

Seems no different in docked mode in the Forest...

One objective factor about the forest in docked mode is that
Hestu's dance
always has a slight lag in the forest. I saw no such lag anymore in that forest along with the better frame stability within it.

Haines

Banned
They needed to sell 2 million Switches before the end of their financial year (March 31), and there was no way that's happening without Zelda available on launch, that's why.

I know. But with the switch being there own hardware and probably not even that complex for the length of time zelda and it were in developing you would think they could have done this literally 1 month earlier.

Top Bottom