• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Breath of the Wild "OMG I didn't know you could do that!" thread [SPOILERS]

This thread.
THIS GAME.

Every third post is some crazy thing I didn't know was possible or would work.

The only one I got off the top of my head is that you can "fish" by creating an ice block where you see a fish in a body of water. The ice block will generate and lift the fish right out of the water. It'll just be there flopping about waiting to be roasted over a fire.

This thread.
THIS GAME.

Every third post is some crazy thing I didn't know was possible or would work.

The only one I got off the top of my head is that you can "fish" by creating an ice block where you see a fish in a body of water. The ice block will generate and lift the fish right out of the water. It'll just be there flopping about waiting to be roasted over a fire.
If you see a school of fish, you can also shoot a single shock arrow into the water and instantly kill them all, making them rise to the top.

sure but id imagine most gamers would figure it out still.

Well, I for one did not. I mean, of course I tried it. I pushed the button, Link goes "hey I don't have a bow!", I pushed d-pad right and it showed my weapon select. Obviously I just didn't do it fast enough - if you have a bow, there's no rush.

And someone thought it was worth posting in a "I didn't know you could do that" thread, for what that's worth.

JaseMath

You can attach Octorock balloons to a raft to make a flying raft that you can push around the skies over Hyrule with a Korok leaf.

aBarreras

You can attach Octorock balloons to a raft and make a flying raft that you can push around through the skies above Hyrule with a Korok leaf.

how the fuck do i attach octorock balloons? i haven tried myself, also this could be useful for those freaking koroks seeds where you have to throw a rock on a circle of rocks on the water

Anteo

how the fuck do i attach octorock balloons? i haven tried myself, also this could be useful for those freaking koroks seeds where you have to throw a rock on a circle of rocks on the water

Hold the ballons and then throw/let go, they will either attach to the closests item, or fall to the ground so you can try again.

Defect

Well, I for one did not. I mean, of course I tried it. I pushed the button, Link goes "hey I don't have a bow!", I pushed d-pad right and it showed my weapon select. Obviously I just didn't do it fast enough - if you have a bow, there's no rush.

And someone thought it was worth posting in a "I didn't know you could do that" thread, for what that's worth.
Just hold right trigger then right on dpad.

You can attach Octorock balloons to a raft to make a flying raft that you can push around the skies over Hyrule with a Korok leaf.

Can't try at the moment... but I wonder if you can tie octorok balloon do one end of a ruined guardian to turn it over and get all of the goodies underneath...

Kyzon

I cut the legs off on av Hill. It tipped over and died

Legitimately feel sorry for anyone who didn't know this but may explain why I saw people saying their hard to beat because in my experience they're really easy to beat, just stun them with a arrow to the eye, chop of a few legs with a broadsword, run away, repeat.

Due to a certain point in the game I decided to get good at parries. Now I'll stun them and jump in their face. Then wait for a point blank parry option.

Formless

If a fish is in between the beach and you, you can beach the fish. I'm sure some other games do this too but it was a nice touch.

KHlover

Banned
Not really "you can do this", but a neat little detail:

17240243_1222644321106zuo6.jpg

Fire weapon indoors

17239861_12226446711065uuc.jpg

Fire weapon in the rain. The rain drops vaporize (only) on the blade and produce steam.

What you CAN do however is is freeze mounted enemies with Stasis+ and steal their mount as it continues running while they are stuck in midair.

EDIT: Killing a Lynel without getting spotted

Meffer

The Yiga Clan LOVE bananas. In their base, you can toss bananas in the general direction a Yiga is facing to make them excited and head straight for the bunch. You can use this to bypass them. There's a storage room in their base with a shit ton of bananas.

Meffer

You fall in the middle of the circle of rocks, that works too.

ryechu

Not really "you can do this", but a neat little detail:

17240243_1222644321106zuo6.jpg

Fire weapon indoors

17239861_12226446711065uuc.jpg

Fire weapon in the rain. The rain drops vaporize (only) on the blade and produce steam.

What you CAN do however is is freeze mounted enemies with Stasis+ and steal their mount as it continues running while they are stuck in midair.

EDIT: Killing a Lynel without getting spotted

Ah yes, the best holy shit moment in BotW is when you realize how much better the crimson shiekah outfit looks.

aBarreras

You fall in the middle of the circle of rocks, that works too.

are you sure you arent confusing with the dive koroks? those where you have to dive in middle of some flowers or something?

because im pretty sure i did what you said and still didnt get the korok seed

Ah yes, the best holy shit moment in BotW is when you realize how much better the crimson shiekah outfit looks.

white sheikah outfit for life!

KarmaCow

Except you can take a regular weapon and leave it in water to make it a rusty weapon. This resets the weapon degredation as part of the transformation. So being able to make that now repaired rusty weapon unrusty lets you repair any metal weapon in the game.

How long does it take for a weapon to get rusty? I tried this but it never seemed to change.

Saro

If an enemy has a weapon that's on fire and you shoot an arrow through their weapon at them, you hit them with a fire arrow.

ckaneo

lol I guess it makes sense considering Nintendo messed with real world physics to be able to use wind you create with a fan to be able to propel a raft you are standing on. Newton's third law says that shouldn't be possible.

Arent Korok leafs magical?

jariw

You can extend the stamina and climb higher while climbing mountains, if you seek climbing routes with surfaces that are less vertical.

Peléo

lol I guess it makes sense considering Nintendo messed with real world physics to be able to use wind you create with a fan to be able to propel a raft you are standing on. Newton's third law says that shouldn't be possible.

Wonder if you can propel it using the Yiga Sword that shoots gusts of wind.

ksamedi

Bomb arrows explode in your face in hot areas. It actually killed me in a certain boss battle. They also dont explode in rain.

If you shoot an explosive barrel with a fire arrow while it's raining, it catches on fire and gets doused, instead of immediately exploding. The same applies if it's floating in water. Kind of weird if you ask me.

Saro

Climbing during rain is difficult but not impossible. In the frame before Link slides down while climbing, press press X to leap up. Link will only slide down half of that leap and you keep the distance made by climbing normally. It's very Stamina intensive.

Nyoro SF

Climbing during rain is difficult but not impossible. In the frame before Link slides down while climbing, press press X to leap up. Link will only slide down half of that leap and you keep the distance made by climbing normally. It's very Stamina intensive.

Yeah, I discovered this after some experimentation.

If you invest to the point where you have another stamina wheel, you can get up a decent chunk of mountain space even in rain using leaps at the right time.

mishakoz

There is a really cool secret room of death beneath one of the mazes.

Also in the shrine you access once you save the singing rito, you climb up a long ladder and you can hear music very quietly in the background

SNAAAAAKKKEE EAAAATTTEERRR

Yeah, I asked in another thread if it was possible to keep adding new balloons so the raft ascends indefinitely. Didn't get an answer.
I mean, I attached balloons to either side of a tree to get to the top of a small structure because it was raining and I couldn't climb and it worked because it was a short distance. Does them popping have to do with weight? Maybe if I attach three to each side of the log they'll last longer. Hmm.

If you grab a Cuccoo and run into a battle, hit it twice and then set it down near an enemy or throw it at them and when the enemy hits it they'll be swarmed by Cuccoos. I wonder if that would work on the last boss 🤔

plufim

Just incase it's not clear, as it's worded differently in wach post:
To switch to the bow without drawing an arrow, just tap ZR briefly. You can then use arrow buttons to change arrows/bows
If you ever do draw an arrow by accident, hit B to put it away without wasting it.

Drewboy64

Found a random traveler who told me he heard a rumor that
you could mount a Lionel. I did it. Can't tame it or anything, but you can beat it while you're riding it.

Top Bottom