• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

KingBroly

Banned
I dunno about that lol. One of Nintendo's best developers potentially making a great game is par for the course. Doesn't really do anything to shore up their overall weaknesses.

Nintendo's games do like allegories about their current situation.

Branduil

In regards to map size, a pure bird's-eye-view measurement of square kilometers doesn't tell the whole story. A big part is how much stuff is inside that area, obviously, and how much there is to do. The other big aspect, though, is verticality. BotW is obviously placing a huge emphasis on vertical movement, with Link's climbing ability and the mountainous design of the world itself; these aren't Skyrim mountains where they only serve as obstacles and walls, you're meant to explore them fully.

There's a pretty sizeable difference between scaling a mountain full of crags, caves, ledges, etc., and walking 300 meters across a flat plain. I think that's a big part of why the game feels so massive in what we've seen.

Peru

Ah, interesting to note about NPCs and towns, it was basically the one 'critical' question I was left with.

Game does seem like a dream come true realization of what the collective Zelda fan mind wanted.

lordy88

Remember this?
bp112_1358992383.png

I'm interested in how they're tackling "Play By Yourself"

Maybe the Wolf Link amiibo is what they were talking about.

watershed

Banned
Didn't we get a quick peek at a village during the prepared video Aunoma shared? When Link with a different hair style is gliding in what Bill calls the "Utah" area? Right when the piano music kicks in you can see what looks like buildings on the lower left. Here:
https://youtu.be/rtZwAGNVjc0?t=2h17m20s

Watch as he glides near the bridge.

watched a big chuck of it and the gameplay really got me hyped. I want this game now.

I judged too soon after having seen the trailer. It looked barre and empty in the trailer.
If you've just seen the trailer. You've seen basicly nothing yet.

Altazor

gonna quote myself from the other thread...

one of the things I noticed about the music was how piano-based it is. Think about the trailer theme, the small snippets of music we've heard here and there, the chest-opening jingle, and even in one of the short videos about areas beyond the Plateau that Aonuma showed near the end of Treehouse Live there was a minimal, piano-based, melody playing over one of the areas.

It's quite the contrast from the bombastic sound of previous Zeldas. Of course, that doesn't mean the whole OST will be mostly piano compositions (I'm sure we'll hear more "conventional" Zelda tunes in the future), but I'm curious about the fact that they chose that the first glimpse of BOTW's world was to be accompanied by piano music. It's another stylistic choice that screams "we're breaking up with this series' conventions".

Didn't we get a quick peek at a village during the prepared video Aunoma shared? When Link with a different hair style is gliding in what Bill calls the "Utah" area? Right when the piano music kicks in you can see what looks like buildings on the lower left. Here:
https://youtu.be/rtZwAGNVjc0?t=2h17m20s

Watch as he glides near the bridge.

Those look to be square cliffs and scaffolding, but there may be some pueblo structures. There's definitely an NPC on the nearby outcropping though.

Meesh

Silly question but I haven't finished geeking out over Zelda, there's more on day 2 of E3 correct? Different demo and such? Is it at the same time?

watershed

Banned
gonna quote myself from the other thread...

Aunoma talked about that during the Treehouse broadcast. Something about wanting simpler music that wouldn't get annoying or something because so much of the game is about exploring so the traditional Zelda tunes wouldn't work. Then he said something about enjoying the sound of the piano and how it works to make the player feel emotions or something. Definitely a change from past Zelda games. I do hope the game still has memorable tunes though.

It looks absolutely phenomenal. Easily my most anticipated game right now.

The top dog is back.

Though I wish the wolf was a more integral part of the game. Between the logo, Link's mobility, and the wolf, I was getting serious Princess Mononoke vibes for awhile there.

correojon

This surpassed my wildest expectations. THIS is why I love Nintendo over every other dev: they can make a huge open world game, add many actions to the game and emergent mehcanics, try new artstyles...but they´ll never loose focus that the utmost objective is for the player to HAVE FUN PLAYING THE GAME.

Aunoma talked about that during the Treehouse broadcast. Something about wanting simpler music that wouldn't get annoying or something because so much of the game is about exploring so the traditional Zelda tunes wouldn't work. Then he said something about enjoying the sound of the piano and how it works to make the player feel emotions or something. Definitely a change from past Zelda games. I do hope the game still has memorable tunes though.

But centering the OST around an instrument isn´t something new in Zelda, is it? Skyward Sword had some focus on the harp and Phantom Hourglass (or maybe it was Spirit Tracks) on the flute.

Xaero Gravity

NEXT LEVEL lame™
This is looking insanely good, but the last two Zelda games I played, Skyward Sword and A Link Between Worlds, were my least favorite in the series so I'm definitely going to try and keep my hype in check. But fuck, it's hard to when all this media is blowing me away.

aravuus

By far the most interesting looking Zelda game ever, like this actually looks like a shit ton of fun compared to the earlier games, which I didn't really like. Well, except for Majora's Mask. MM was cool.

Shame it's gonna be a while until I can justify buying NX. Probably won't be getting it before the next Monolith Soft game and Smash is released.

I feel that this demo answered so many of the hopes that I many others raised. For example: just drop me in the world and let me figure it out. The one thing that I didn't see, and I had to go to work so I didn't see all of Treehouse, is if this world is big I've always said I love a nod to Zelda 2 with multiple towns and fetch quests from NPC's

kizmah

Couple more things. Here are the stamps you can place on your map to mark where treasure, tuff enemies, weapons etc can be found.
lwwuX1G.png

Here your are scoping the enemy camp to check their hp stats.
zTMycrQ.png

Salt from the "ancient sea". My guess is this sea is the one from Wind Waker, and this is ancient Hyrule that has finally emerged from the waves once again. Yes, there is an ancient sea in Skyward Sword as well but together with Koroks, the 100-years slumber and all the crazy tech this points to being rather late in the timeline.
qxEqTpD.png

And of course, Ganon confirmed.
W4q8rqZ.png

Vetro

"Nothing stops this train."

Jesus Christ, i am more hyped for that than for FF XV.
Did they mention anything about the release date of this monster?

deleted

This is the most I've been interested in a new Zelda from the get go since Wind Waker!

It looks amazing, the art style is a 10/10 and the graphics work well enough.. For a demo the density of what's to do in the world is awesome and I hope it's the same for the rest of the world.

In short it looks like Nintendo sat down, looked at the appeal of 2D Zelda and something like Skyrim/Witcher 3/DS and combined the best of them all.
What was once a minigame of sorts in TP is now a full traversal method in shield-surfing. Climbing mountains looks fun.. The fire arrows are amazing and the explosions are a sight to behold.

It looks fun to play in this world. No matter the actual quest, it seems to be fun enough to play around with the mechanics for hours on end.
Let's hope they nail the rest of the game too and that we will be in for one hell of an experience, be it NX or Wii U.

I feel that this demo answered so many of the hopes that I many others raised. For example: just drop me in the world and let me figure it out. The one thing that I didn't see, and I had to go to work so I didn't see all of Treehouse, is if this world is big I've always said I love a nod to Zelda 2 with multiple towns and fetch quests from NPC's

The Zelda E3 demos specifically leave out towns and NPCs for the purpose of not spoiling any details that they want to show at a later event.

Gsnap

I'm so impressed with the fact that every major natural element you could think of impacts the gameplay in clear and significant ways. Fire, water, metal, stone, wood, air, and even time and potential/kinetic energy. That's true open world gameplay.

Played this at E3 today. And you know. When I first heard that this game would be the only game playable at E3 this year I thought Nintendo was nuts. Boy was I wrong. This game is so everything. I don't know how many demo units they had -- I think it was at least 80 units -- but there was A LOT. And considering how long the wait to play was -- and how much playtime each player got -- it wasn't nearly enough at all. You got to play the demo for a good 40 minutes I believe and I think each player needed at least that amount of time. But I wanted to keep playing more and more. The game is so astonishing. It captured me just a few minutes in. I was instantly intrigued with the story and setting -- a very immersive experience. So for the sake of the attendees, having all their demo units dedicated to Zelda was a good call. Went in line right at opening at 12, and didn't exit until like 2:45 pm.

I CANNOT wait to get my hands on this in 2017.

KeRaSh

I'm in love with what I saw. I love the changes so much. It's different but it still feels like Zelda. The only thing that's bothering me is that the weapons break a little too fast.
I really hope there will be very durable weapons or ways to repair them. If it stays like this I'd just save all the great weapons for special occasions and then end up never using them and that is not fun.
Does armor decay, too?

Top Bottom