• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

OryoN

...Like, if there's a really rewarding shrine or chest located in a really tough spot on a mountain that you're supposed to take an arduous route towards, it might take the glean off it if I know I can just glitch-catapult myself there.

So far, Nintendo have made good on their goal of "breaking the conventions of Zelda." To that end, finding different ways to complete a task - other than way one would assume it's supposed to be done - seems like exactly what the Zelda team is trying to accomplish.

I'd imagine that in the likelihood that a particular story-driven portion of the game demands a very specific mode of play, then the team would take measures to ensure that various exploits won't work(similar to how most surfaces in the shrines can't he climbed).

Zelda: Breath Of The Wild - like just about any game before it - may have glitches/exploits that clearly breaks the set 'boundaries' of the game, and that's up to player-choice. However, what we've seen thus far - and the even crazier stuff that Bill himself mentioned, like using a magnesis trick to levitate - all seem like fair game, and part of the overall physics system that Nintendo had been very carefully trying to balance, according to them.

Sagitario

I still think this is centuries after Wind Waker, and set 100 years after a significant event we know almost nothing about.

Not even counting the koroks or the ancient rock salt:

- land is possibly eroded away from the Great Sea (except of course Hyrule which was protected for longer against erosion)
- manmade plateau reinforcements don't look the same as the Skyward Sword variety... could just be reinforcements to keep the ancient Hyrule land safe (for a time) from predators and further erosion
- rusted sword (possibly moved to a glen to recover, or just a flashback scene)
- blue outfit very similar to TWW (ocean colors?)
- old man really looks like (a descendent of?) the King of Red Lions (who could have easily survived the final Hyrule flooding in boat form)
- guardians are octopus-like, perhaps designed during the Great Flood (or afterwards to ensure Ganon's body wasn't approached...)
- for what it's worth, Link had sideburns in TWW too.

Plus, a lot of the sound effects are directly from TWW too.

My theory is that there will be timeshift stones and you can change only certain areas to different time with those.

I tend to agree because it would be far too much work to have an entire separate game world in the past considering how big it is and it'd be kind of weird if the sheikah towers only purpose was to be warp points and map databases. It's also interesting to note that there are seemingly 7 towers that are erected during that cutscene which matches the dots around the shiekah symbols. The eighth in the center probably represents the chamber of resurrection which in turn may correspond to 7 regions with the eighth being the Great Plateau.

RagnarokX

I still think this is centuries after Wind Waker, and set 100 years after a significant event we know almost nothing about.

Not even counting the koroks or the ancient rock salt:

- land is possibly eroded away from the Great Sea (except of course Hyrule which was protected for longer against erosion)
- manmade plateau reinforcements don't look the same as the Skyward Sword variety... could just be reinforcements to keep the ancient Hyrule land safe (for a time) from predators and further erosion
- rusted sword (possibly moved to a glen to recover, or just a flashback scene)
- blue outfit very similar to TWW (ocean colors?)
- old man really looks like (a descendent of?) the King of Red Lions (who could have easily survived the final Hyrule flooding in boat form)
- guardians are octopus-like, perhaps designed during the Great Flood (or afterwards to ensure Ganon's body wasn't approached...)
- for what it's worth, Link had sideburns in TWW too.
-a sword left at the bottom of the ocean for hundreds of years would look much worse than that.
-according to the description of the blue outfit, it is the Champion Shirt and was given to people who had proven their courage in ancient Hyrule. Its sleeves look like Ganon's from OoT, so it's possible he was given a Champion Shirt as a sign of trust from the King of Hyrule.
-Old Man does look like King Hyrule, just like King Hyrule looks like a descendant of the King from Minish Cap, and the kings of ALttP and Zelda 2 look like descendants. The same people could exist across all timelines, so the royal family would look similar regardless of timeline. This could be the same King but in a different timeline. He did not survive the final flooding because he chose to commit suicide in a very important moment. The whole theme of the ending is letting go of the past and King Hyrule chooses to remain behind so that the past will stop hurting the future. This idea takes a giant crap on Wind Waker's ending. His boat form appears in the final scene where Link and Tetra set sail for a new land and it is a lifeless boat.
-The guardians were designed after octroks from Zelda 1. Aonuma noted that he always thought the octoroks felt huge compared to Link and wanted to design a huge version of them that ended up being the guardians. The guardians die if they fall in water, so they are horribly designed if they have anything to do with the Great Sea.
-According to Wind Waker he had sideburns in OoT, too.

-there's a korok cameo in ALBW.

-a sword left at the bottom of the ocean for hundreds of years would look much worse than that.
-according to the description of the blue outfit, it is the Champion Shirt and was given to people who had proven their courage in ancient Hyrule. Its sleeves look like Ganon's from OoT, so it's possible he was given a Champion Shirt as a sign of trust from the King of Hyrule.
-Old Man does look like King Hyrule, just like King Hyrule looks like a descendant of the King from Minish Cap, and the kings of ALttP and Zelda 2 look like descendants. The same people could exist across all timelines, so the royal family would look similar regardless of timeline. This could be the same King but in a different timeline. He did not survive the final flooding because he chose to commit suicide in a very important moment. The whole theme of the ending is letting go of the past and King Hyrule chooses to remain behind so that the past will stop hurting the future. This idea takes a giant crap on Wind Waker's ending. His boat form appears in the final scene where Link and Tetra set sail for a new land and it is a lifeless boat.
-The guardians were designed after octroks from Zelda 1. Aonuma noted that he always thought the octoroks felt huge compared to Link and wanted to design a huge version of them that ended up being the guardians. The guardians die if they fall in water, so they are horribly designed if they have anything to do with the Great Sea.

I agree with everything except for the bolded. Do you have a source for that? It would be very weird for those ancient parts to be specifically mentioned as buoyant if that's the case.

I agree with everything except for the bolded. Do you have a source for that? It would be very weird for those ancient parts to be specifically mentioned as buoyant if that's the case.

The mini-guardians in the shrines apparently die when pushed into the water, as was shown in the Treehouse stream. I think it's kinda lame to be honest, but who knows if that extends to the normal sized guardians...

maxcriden

I think all of your other points are completely founded, but:

ALBW_Makar.jpg

If that sort of thing counts for canon and timeline theories, then so must this:

zelda-twilight-princess-zelda-wii-u-2.jpg

This image would mean Twilight Princess takes place after BotW, which IIRC seems unlikely.

(There are also Skyward Sword images in OoT 3D, but in that case you could make an argument for canon.)

chadboban

The mini-guardians in the shrines apparently die when pushed into the water, as was shown in the Treehouse stream. I think it's kinda lame to be honest, but who knows if that extends to the normal sized guardians...

Didn't the large guardian from the e3 2014 trailer go into the water when he destroyed the wooden bridge at the end?

R00bot

Didn't the large guardian from the e3 2014 trailer go into the water when he destroyed the wooden bridge at the end?

And some of the mini guardians are standing in shallow water. I assume the water must be deep enough to submerge the guardian completely.

Derpot

Has anyone talked about the jingle when the Old Man appears?
It's actually Hyrule Castle's theme that has been modified. So that would confirm that the Old Man is the King of Hyrule himself.

EDIT: Here it is if it hasn't been posted here yet, you can definitely hear it:

https://vimeo.com/173065145

maxcriden

The Sandship was one of the saddest moments in Skyward Sword for me because
they're all dead and you can't prevent that
. ;o;

It's sad for me to think that
the ancient robots in general can't be brought back to life. Scrapper is wonderful, there needs to be more of his kind to keep him company, though.

scrapper+e+fi+skyward+sword+nintendo+blast.gif

Pictured above: one of my all-time favorite Zelda characters.

It's actually Hyrule Castle's theme that has been modified. So that would confirm that the Old Man is the King of Hyrule himself.

I could've sworn in another video that the only chords in common with Hyrule Castle were shared with the main overworld theme. I'd been imagining it as a result of this guy being tied to the old world.

BowieZ

Banned

This was briefly discussed a few pages ago I still don't hear this. It's just an augmented chord (arpeggiated upwards)...

As I said, if anything, the repeated notes, followed by the upwards notes, resemble the main Zelda theme (specifically the famous repeated heroic marching notes, followed by the upwards phrase of the main Zelda theme).

Canyarion

Neo Member
SirPenguin said:
No doubt others have done this before, but to get you in the proper mood I've compiled each reveal trailer from every major Zelda game

Tried to look specifically for crowd videos because that's where the hype is. I live for these poor quality, real-as-shit reaction videos.

[...]

<Subtitle Pending>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnfeuvLkgxk
My first post here! I noticed somebody posted our reaction compilation of 2 years ago. :D

I made a new video like this, now for the latest trailer. I thought I'd drop it in here. ;) It's got duck hype.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VprDc7kfxIs

Speaking of Skyward Sword, how would anyone feel about any references to Fi? I'm one of those people who enjoyed SS's story, so I'd love it if the game acknowledged her presence in the Master Sword.

maxcriden

Speaking of Skyward Sword, how would anyone feel about any references to Fi? I'm one of those people who enjoyed SS's story, so I'd love it if the game acknowledged her presence in the Master Sword.

Welcome!

I for one would be delighted to see that. I'm a fan of Fi, though, and found her dry style amusing. She and Link formed a bond that to me was at least as compelling by the end of the game as Midna and her Link's bond. I know that's an unpopular opinion, though.

Whenever I play Zelda games since playing Skyward, I definitely think about how the Master Sword has Fi's essence within it. Very cool and helps tie together the nature vs. technology concept that many Zeldas, including this one, bring into play.

RAWi

All these ruins... You can go back in time and see them restored in their full glory, right?

I expect something like that. They have talked about towns being in the game but say they don't want to spoil how they fit in.

It could totally be that!!!! And would fit with was Aonuma or Miyamoto (don't remember who mentioned it) about they wanting you to connect with the people and have to say goodbye, and that it would be a way of knowing what happened.

So, probably you will access the Past on certain places, where you will be able to discover how was the towns and people before the disaster!! Connecting with characters knowing that they are all dead... Lol

Axass

It could totally be that!!!! And would fit with was Aonuma or Miyamoto (don't remember who mentioned it) about they wanting you to connect with the people and have to say goodbye, and that it would be a way of knowing what happened.

So, probably you will access the Past on certain places, where you will be able to discover how was the towns and people before the disaster!! Connecting with characters knowing that they are all dead... Lol

That would be simply amazing. Now I'm going to be bummed if that doesn't happen.

rhandino

Banned
Skyward Sword made some of the previous games implications kind of heartbreaking tbh.

Like in The Wind Waker (I played it after Skyward Sword) when you
beat Ganon for good and you have to left the sword in the bottom of the sea along with Hyrule
it made me a bit sad.

Or the part in Twilight Princess where you get the sword and this happens:

tKmNXhW.png

What can I say, I liked Fi and her arc a lot.

Welcome!

I for one would be delighted to see that. I'm a fan of Fi, though, and found her dry style amusing. She and Link formed a bond that to me was at least as compelling by the end of the game as Midna and her Link's bond. I know that's an unpopular opinion, though.

Whenever I play Zelda games since playing Skyward, I definitely think about how the Master Sword has Fi's essence within it. Very cool and helps tie together the nature vs. technology concept that many Zeldas, including this one, bring into play.
I'd love it too. I was one of the few who also really liked Fi. I actually found her more charming than Midna, who was sort of apathetic towards. I also loved her dancing!

Has anyone discussed how the Master sword fits into this game? I'm sure someone has, but I'm curious what everyone thinks—my assumption is that while all the other weapons quickly deteriorate and break, the Master sword will be unbreakable, which will make it clearly superior to other swords and weapons in the world. Could be a neat way of making the master sword stand out even more.

How do you guys feel about the shrines being really segmented areas? I really like the technology angle they're going with but I think it would've been really cool if they integrated the puzzles into the world itself.

I'm conflicted on it.

How do you guys feel about the shrines being really segmented areas? I really like the technology angle they're going with but I think it would've been really cool if they integrated the puzzles into the world itself.

I'm conflicted on it.

You're still getting those, they're just integrated so well that they don't stand out as much as they did in, say, Skyward Sword.

rhandino

Banned
I am sure there are going to be a LOT puzzles in the overworld since the Great Plateau had a LOT of them, from the top of my head:

1) There is a chest in Mount Hylia in the middle of a freezing lake so you can use Cryonis to create a series of platforms to reach it.

2) In the way to Mount Hylia there is a broken bridge that you can cross in different ways: There is a raft that you can use if you have a Deku Leaf, you can use Cryonis to create ice platforms, Magnesis to move some metal platforms and complete the bridge, cut some trees up in the river and use the trunks to pass, etc...

3) Near the Shrine of Oman Au there are to chests above a platform in the middle of a toxic(?) lake in which you have to use Magnesis to carry a metal thing that is under a lake to cross the gap.

4) The entry to a Shrine is blocked by some rocks but near it there is a Guardian so you can use a Guardian attack to clear the rocks for you... or use a bomb, I think.

And that's without counting all the neat little ways in which you can find some of the Koroks (climbing the Temple of Time, completing a suspicious circle of rocks in the middle of nowhere, diving from a certain point, etc...) and hidden chests all over the place.

KingBroly

Banned
Skyward Sword made some of the previous games implications kind of heartbreaking tbh.

Like in The Wind Waker (I played it after Skyward Sword) when you
beat Ganon for good and you have to left the sword in the bottom of the sea along with Hyrule
it made me a bit sad.

Or the part in Twilight Princess where you get the sword and this happens:

tKmNXhW.png

What can I say, I liked Fi and his arc a lot.

his?

I still think Skyward Sword should've called it "The Master's Sword" so it becomes one of those 'names that changes over time' thing. Having it originally being called "The Master Sword" sounds cheap for an origin story.

his?

I still think Skyward Sword should've called it "The Master's Sword" so it becomes one of those 'names that changes over time' thing. Having it originally being called "The Master Sword" sounds cheap for an origin story.

Well the sword is able to master of any evil so it still makes sense.

Nickle

Cool Facts: Game of War has been a hit since July 2013
Doesn't basically every Zelda enemy die when they get dunked?

TheMoon

You obviously need the Ages Pass to travel through time. With the Season Pass you can only change the seasons, duh.

I flunked Zelda lore.

Yes, pretty much every little blip has been discussed here already :D

I mean, look above you a bit, theory discussions now involve sideburns and whatnot^^

rhandino

Banned
If we are going to include side-burns and things like that then it's valid to say that Koroks existed in the Fallen Hero timeline because they made the smallest of cameos in ALBW

With how generic the shrine entrances are and how easy it'd be to shuffle around rewards from treasure chests and the like, it'd be really incredible if this game had a Second Quest akin to the original game:

- Remixed shrines with greater complexity and tougher enemies
- Runes are located in totally different shrines
- Powerful items are much rarer
- Tougher enemies are more prevalent

It won't happen, but now I'm dreaming...

With how generic the shrine entrances are and how easy it'd be to shuffle around rewards from treasure chests and the like, it'd be really incredible if this game had a Second Quest akin to the original game:

I would LOVE this.

Generic shine entrances? How in the world are those "generic" entrances? Give me a break with that.

majik13

This is what I am hoping for and thinking about. Being able to go back in time and see all the ruins in their glory before the disaster, and how Link was put into Cyro Care Unit, where the futuristic tech came from, etc. If that is the case, then Link being in Cryo for 100 years, would potentially not correlate with any Link from a previous game(WW, or so). But would just be part of the story/timeline of BotW.

I haven't studied the timelines of the Zelda, and have just read theorys here, so not sure what the current consensus is on how plausible this theory is.

Generic shine entrances? How in the world are those "generic" entrances? Give me a break with that.

I am assuming he means they are generic amongst themselves(they all look similar to each other). And not that the design itself is generic.

rhandino

Banned
Generic in the sense that they all look similar its what he mean... and he is not wrong, so far every entrance to the Shrines and the aesthetic of them all seems to be similar, even that one that was glimpsed in the "Beyond the Plateau" vid.

I expect some of them to be ruined tho or buried under debris tho but who knows.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
Based on what we saw at E3, does anyone think the Happy Mask Salesman could fit into the BOTW world? If so, how do you imagine it being implemented? I ask because because I remembered that old Happy Mask Salesman Miiverse comment:

My, my... I've certainly been appearing all over the place these past few days! If this keeps going, maybe it wouldn't be a stretch to expect me to pop up in a new Zelda game, too...? Ho, ho, ho... I've got some new masks, too, if you'd like to try them on... If I do make an appearance, I'm sure everyone will experience such happiness! Believe in your strengths... Believe... Ho, ho, ho...

It doesn't say it will happen, but it certainly leaves the possibility open. Personally, I think it could be cool if the dungeon (not shrine) rewards included a mask that offered some new kinds of abilities for traversing the world (perhaps flight, swimming, sprinting and climbing, and guardian taming? just making stuff up). However, I imagine the HMS, if he shows up, would just be for a cross-country trading sequence.

generic in the sense that they are all similar, not the design itself. And they are like that for you to easily recognize in the distance the shrines for you to go after them.

I agree that they could pump out a cool "master quest" for this game, even shuffling around the shrines, putting more enemies and things like that would be amazing.

BowieZ

Banned

1. I didn't mean to imply that the sword was left underwater for hundreds of years, only that the game takes place a long long time after TWW, whereby the sea is deemed "ancient." The ocean could have receded after merely 20 or 30 years or something like that, and/or maybe the inherent magic of the sword is strong enough to withstand that kind of corrosion.

2&3. Okay, maybe we can't really draw any conclusions from the blue outfit or the likeness of the old man, but I mean, the old man really looks like the WW King, and he can't be ruled out as a WW descendant, however it occurred.

4. I don't think that how the Guardian design was inspired matters, but as for dying in water, if true, that seems like a bizarre choice for an octopus robot, regardless of its origins. But again, it doesn't rule anything out, it was just a potential extra link.

(korok portrait cameo already explained as one of many cute faux-retcons)

Derpot

This was briefly discussed a few pages ago I still don't hear this. It's just an augmented chord (arpeggiated upwards)...

Yes, pretty much every little blip has been discussed here already :D

I mean, look above you a bit, theory discussions now involve sideburns and whatnot^^

Heh yeah, just as I thought.

There are so many things to talk about, but the mysterious island in the sky and the giant guardian on the mountain are the things that intrigue me the most.

I want this game now.

generic in the sense that they are all similar, not the design itself. And they are like that for you to easily recognize in the distance the shrines for you to go after them.

This, basically.

There's a signature look to shrines that's used across all the shrines we've seen so far.

It's not like Skyward Sword, where the Skyview Temple has a unique look both externally and internally compared to the other dungeons. You could shuffle the actual dungeon interiors around so that, for example, the Skyview Temple entrance actually took you to the Earth Temple, but it'd be jarring.

Not so for Breath of the Wild's shrines. The contents are somewhat themed, but the look and feel is pretty standardized. Very much like the dungeons in Zeldas 1 & 2 and even LttP and LA to some extent. So aside from making progression really nuts, it wouldn't break the immersion factor to have the Magnesis shrine and the Cryonis one switch places.

Okay, maybe we can't really draw any conclusions from the blue outfit or the likeness of the old man, but I mean, the old man really looks like the WW King, and he can't be ruled out as a WW descendant, however it occurred.

The funny thing about the Zelda timeline and cross-game references is that resemblances can be passed on both backwards (to games earlier in the timeline) and sideways (to games on completely different branches of the timeline).

That's why I think it's really silly to look at any of the references and try to derive any specific timeline placement. The one exception is the ruined Temple of Time, which seems to be the very same building we see in Ocarina of Time.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
I really do think this has amazing potential. I still regret not being able to get into Skyward Sword, because the motion controls ruined it for me. But I think the upgrades in this, as well as the open world style are welcome additions.

Top Bottom