• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

So I'm definitely getting an NX for this! It's the Zelda game of my dreams, but now I'm curious about the Amiibo aspect. I've never bought an Amiibo, but I want the complete experience for this game! So what Amiibo work for this? And where can I get them from?
Wolf Link and the three new amiibo that were announced will work with it from what we know. Only one whose effects we know is wolf Link, which gives you a wolf link companion

Okay, I've translated most of the Zelda U Hylian I could. Some funny stuff hidden in the game.

laAale3.jpg

The doors to every shrine have DUNGEON written across them repeatedly

ML8sIMp.jpg

The doors that seal Link inside the chamber he awakens in say SHUTOUT at the bottom.

SBSpACf.jpg

When Link puts the Sheikah Slate on a pedestal to gain a new rune it says NOW LOADING DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR... the words that follow appear to be BASE/CASE ARE but that doesn't make sense.

CVE9Vpp.jpg

The area where the sheikah sits at the end of a shrine says GOALPOINT

kwwoAXO.jpg

The Hylian text below each named area on the map just says REGION
At the bottom is SHEAKERSTONE, which is probably engrish for Sheikah Stone.

Dude you rock! :)

The Lamp

If I could trade the existence of every other game shown at E3 for the ability to play this game completely now I would.

Really impressed. Should help NX get off to a good start, though they will have to keep the content coming to maintain any ki d of momentum. Can't wait to play it.

xviper

can any one give me a LINK to a boss fight ? after seeing those gifs, this might be game of the generation

Jims

I played too much Xenoblade X. Now all I keep thinking about is how great it would be to fly around it with a Loftwing.

Demo looked great, though. Love the extra emphasis on exploration and combat. I feel like Zelda gets a little too hung-up on making switch puzzles and stuff sometimes, so I like that they're crafting those more for targeted locations (shrines, dungeons, etc).

Platy

Anyone have a gif of that time stop item after they finish the trial and go full Golf ball on the big stone across the mountains ?

Brofield

I did screencap at least one of those moments.

red and blue things are markers.

EDIT: this is not the whole map, by the way. You can clearly see there's more to it in every side.

For sure, but thank you! I have a sudden weird desire once the whole map is revealed to make a scale replica with layers of plywood simulating the contours and I wonder how feasible it would be (money rather than time being the limiting factor)

Check my first post, I putted that :)

edit: beate, I should go to sleep, lol

You and me both, my dude. E3 returns in less than 13 hours, we all should rest up for another 5 hour stream of gaming news haha

Of all the games, Zelda has the biggest possibility space and everything looks competent at worst and incredible at best. That's amazing.

HF2014

Its seriously impressive. Its Witcher 3, but like wayyyy better. Is Wolf amiibo sold separately or we need to buy twilight princess to still get it?

Altazor

For sure, but thank you! I have a sudden weird desire once the whole map is revealed to make a scale replica with layers of plywood simulating the contours and I wonder how feasible it would be (money rather than time being the limiting factor)

no problem, man! :D That sounds like one hell of a project though ;)

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Any hints of crafting other than cooking?

Got to be. They picked up tons of different stones and ores over the day. That can't just be stuff to sell. Maybe we won't be crafting ourselves but someone will craft things for with them.

Its seriously impressive. Its Witcher 3, but like wayyyy better. Is Wolf amiibo sold separately or we need to buy twilight princess to still get it?

Sold separately, but you need a TP to get more hearts for him.

This is making me depressed. Sad. Feelings of... nostalgia. Disbelief. Denial. Happiness. I don't want to own a Wii U / NX. But I need this game.

If this game doesn't matter, then no games matter. It's like looking at a picasso for the first time. I can't take my eyes of that art style. It's like cleaning them.. like I can see for the first time after all these hordes of dampy brown unreal games.

You can drop a piece of flint with a bundle of sticks then swing your sword at it to make a fire. That's... soooort of like crafting.

This is making me depressed. Sad. Feelings of... nostalgia. Disbelief. Denial. Happiness. I don't want to own a Wii U / NX. But I need this game.

If this game doesn't matter, then no games matter. It's like looking at a picasso for the first time. I can't take my eyes of that art style. It's like cleaning them.. like I can see for the first time after all these hordes of dampy brown unreal games.

You're setting yourself up for disappointment. It may turn out to be a wildly fantastic video game, but at the end of the day it'll still be a video game. It'll have common open world game and zelda game tropes. By all means be optimistic, but be realistic. This is not the second coming of Christ.

I wouldn't go that far, games like Skyrim and Wild Hunt are still pretty freakin' huge, and Just Cause 2 and 3 are definitely bigger

Skyrim is not that big. Witcher 3 isn't huge, but it is big. I admittedly forgot about Just Cause, so will be interesting to see a comparison there.

Take this following image with a spoon of salt, because I'm not sure on the accuracy:

9P7dwKA.png

Just Cause 2 was pretty enormous, but considering it was barren as fuck and designed for flying around in jets, it's not a great contender.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Jesus christ. That's all I have to say. It can only get better as we get closer to March 2017, and god damn am I even more excited for NX.

Got to be. They picked up tons of different stones and ores over the day. That can't just be stuff to sell. Maybe we won't be crafting ourselves but someone will craft things for with them.

You can drop a piece of flint with a bundle of sticks then swing your sword at it to make a fire. That's... soooort of like crafting.

Not sure, but they did mine some ore. I think it's safe to say that you can forge weapons and armors.

Awesome.

Fredrik

Insane level of detail, makes most other games and game worlds look lifeless no matter how pretty they are. Did anyone anticipate a change this big for this IP? I'm just blown away by all of it. No other game does this much. A skill tree or any type of character upgrade system is all I'm missing for it to be the game of forever.

casiopao

Übermatik;207129172 said:
Skyrim is not that big. Witcher 3 isn't huge, but it is big. I admittedly forgot about Just Cause, so will be interesting to see a comparison there.

Take this following image with a spoon of salt, because I'm not sure on the accuracy:

9P7dwKA.png

Just Cause 2 was pretty enormous, but considering it was barren as fuck and designed for flying around in jets, it's not a great contender.

No Xeno X world size comparison? I thought that one is quite large too?

Platy

Okay, I've translated most of the Zelda U Hylian I could. Some funny stuff hidden in the game.

...which alphabet are you using ?

Those letters look nothing like the ones in Skyward,Twilight and Link Between Worlds and those are the ones based on english

Hmmk but not sure i understand corretly. I need to play TP with wolf amiino so it will have more energy in New Zelda?

Yeah. His default life bar is three hearts but you can make it longer by completing the challenge dungeon in Twilight Princess - your remaining health when you're done the dungeon gets saved to the amiibo and will be your Wolf LInk's new healthbar in BotW.

It may not be the best looking open world game, but the Zelda is strong in it, and there's so many cool ideas and inter-operative gameplay layers in it that I wish so many other games had. This is more or less what I wanted from Hyrule's overworld ever since I saw Shadow of the Colossus. Also, I gotta say the combat looks better than Witcher 3.

I haven't seen enough to really nitpick anything about encounter frequency, layout etc. They spent the day seemingly trying not to get too ahead of themselves and do anything too spoilery.

RagnarokX

...which alphabet are you using ?

Those letters look nothing like the ones in Skyward,Twilight and Link Between Worlds and those are the ones based on english

It's a new alphabet. I'm piecing it together by translating letters I've already figured out and using the gaps to translate new letters. Have most of the alphabet figured out now.

Crayolan

JUraoFn.gif

Thank god someone gif'd shivering Link, best animation in the game yet.

I cannot wait to explore this world and find out how many more unexpected ways there are to interact with the environment. This is totally the type of game where I know I'll constantly find myself thinking "I can do THAT?"

It's a new alphabet. I'm piecing it together by translating letters I've already figured out and using the gaps to translate new letters. Have most of the alphabet figured out now.

Wow. That's amazing! Any way you could post your WiP alphabet so we could take a crack at translating other bits?

Game of the forever?

I'll answer your question. Yes!

I'm reveling in the hype right now. It may or may not end up being the GOTF, but oh my goodness, oh my DAYUM. This looks like the Zelda game i've always wanted; always dreamed of. The GAME i've always wanted and dreamed of. I know haters gonna hate, and some may have different opinions, but i feel like Nintendo just made a statement today. They are absolutely still relevant

Not sure, but they did mine some ore. I think it's safe to say that you can forge weapons and armors.

The minerals I saw picked up (topaz,etc) specifically were said to appear in accessories or be sold in the description. I wouldn't call that a guarantee (it's always possible it's worldbuilding/flavour text), but it's a strong indication.

Top Bottom