• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zen Pinball 2 Coming to PS4 on December 17th

It’s Pinball time on PS4! Zen Pinball 2 will launch on December 17th for PS4, featuring a selection of tables from the previous generation’s table library. If you already own these tables on PS3 or PS Vita, we invite you to download them for FREE on PS4.
For those of you that have never played Zen Pinball, the Sorcerer’s Lair table is absolutely free for all players, giving you the opportunity to try the game risk free.
Additionally, Marvel’s Doctor Strange will launch as brand new content. That’s right; the Sorcerer Supreme will be day one content for Zen Pinball 2 on PS4 for $2.99. If you haven’t purchased a PS4 yet, Doctor Strange will also be available in Zen Pinball 2 on PS3 and PS Vita for $2.99.
Zen Pinball 2 on PS4, 03Zen Pinball 2 on PS4, 02
Here’s the table lineup for Zen Pinball 2 on PS4:
Star Wars Pinball
Star Wars Pinball: Balance of the Force
Marvel Pinball
Marvel Pinball:Avengers Chronicles
Marvel’s Doctor Strange
Plants vs. Zombies Pinball
Epic Quest
Paranormal
Earth Defense
Zen Studios has HUGE plans for pinball in 2014, including more Star Wars Pinball and Marvel Pinball tables, as well as tables based on more iconic and exciting brands. We can’t wait to share all the pinball goodness!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2013/12/04/zen-pinball-2-coming-to-ps4-on-december-17th/

7Vita

Neo Member
Gotta love that crossbuy, I thought they'd try and slip a 'pay to upgrade' system in there.

Jo-El

If you already own these tables on PS3 or PS Vita, we invite you to download them for FREE on PS4

Very cool. It's too bad the Pinball Arcade guys won't be doing the same thing.

ptuck874

Gotta love that crossbuy, I thought they'd try and slip a 'pay to upgrade' system in there.
yeppers, same thing here, cant wait for this and pinball arcade, still holding out on tables on that since they will have that pay to upgrade thing going on :(

Shit. I own every table for the 360 :(

Yep as well as owning half of them on PS3, so it's not all bad for me, anyway. Still, I cannot go back to Zen 2/FX 2 after being so spoiled by the physics of TPA. I really was hoping that the lack of announcements from Zen would have meant that Zen 3/FX 3 was the next thing up for them and with that I hoped that they would again update the physics along with new lighting for all of the legacy tables as well as any new stuff they've got cooking. It was rumored that they were going with real actual pinball designers (legendary names) for new tables, just as the rumors are that FarSight is doing the same. Still bummed that all of the enhancements to TPA on PS4 are visual and not another big update physics, adding spin and the ability to leave the table for more realistic play. Still, good news to have cross-buy as part of this just as I hope that MS follows suit since Live does keep all licences for digital content across platforms.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I really with Zen could make some sort of centralized database of purchases for all platforms allowing cross-buy.

I have tons of tables on the 360 and PC. No way I'm going to buy them again on the PS4.

I didn't think I could like playing pinball on a console. Glad to know I was wrong. But I don't feel that comfortable going on a shopping spree for tables. Anyone wanna recommend 3 tables? I think that should suffice for now.

Ocaso

Yep. Zen Pinball showing Farsight how it's done. As someone who'd be far more inclined to purchase PS4 tables if Vita cross-play is present, I'm really disappointed in Farsight's decision and hope they come to their senses.

Was zen pinball 720p on ps3?

Yep, 720p. On the plus side, 3D support is lovely.

Clydebink

Neo Member
I didn't think I could like playing pinball on a console. Glad to know I was wrong. But I don't feel that comfortable going on a shopping spree for tables. Anyone wanna recommend 3 tables? I think that should suffice for now.
All of the tables have free trials. Also consider that all of the packs are mixed bags. If you are wanting to buy singles, I would go with Excalibur, Ms. Splosion, and Epic Quest.

Afro

is it true this is more of an arcadey pinball game where Pinball Arcade is more of a sim? don't know which one to pick up.

Minsc

Gold Member
is it true this is more of an arcadey pinball game where Pinball Arcade is more of a sim? don't know which one to pick up.

Personal preference, both have free to try models anyway I believe, and are different enough the real correct answer is just both as they compliment each other nicely if you don't have a preference for real tables or original digital ones. Most people prefer the physics in TPA though, but Zen's tables look nicer (though TPA on PS4 is better looking than TPA on any other platform).

Ocaso

Pinball Arcade recreates real tables while Zen has original creations that include fantastical (i.e. video-gamey) elements that would generally be impossible in a real table.

Many feel PA's physics are more realistic, but Zen's physics are still generally great. (I prefer, Zen's physics, in fact, but I seem to be an exception.)

Clydebink

Neo Member
Yes.
They both have their benefits. Zen's tables are really encouraging for new players because the objectives are ostentatious and the ball is much easier to control. Zen tables are about making shots whereas Pinball Arcade tables are about wrangling the ball and reducing risk.
If you have a PC that can run them, the Steam versions both have a single free table available to get an idea of their physics.
Neither is superior.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Yep. Zen Pinball showing Farsight how it's done. As someone who'd be far more inclined to purchase PS4 tables if Vita cross-play is present, I'm really disappointed in Farsight's decision and hope they come to their senses.

Farsight is a seriously shady developer.

It took me 5 months for them to finally respond to me to get my kickstarted Next Generation table. Then they sent me the code for Twilight Zone and took another two months to respond to my request for the correct table. Then some woman got back to me and gave me a code that didn't work, then a week later she finally gave me a code that worked. The next day I got an email from her telling me she quit the company (no idea why she felt the need to mail me about that).

androvsky

Darn, sounds like those are the only old tables they're moving to the PS4 judging by a reply to one of the comments. Oh well, I guess that means I can finally move on from sucking at El Dorado to sucking at one of the newer tables.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Darn, sounds like those are the only old tables they're moving to the PS4 judging by a reply to one of the comments. Oh well, I guess that means I can finally move on from sucking at El Dorado to sucking at one of the newer tables.

This is the one thing that bothers me about Zen's pinball packages - as time goes on their table library has become rather fragmented. Older tables are not available on all platforms, etc.

I'd gladly pay to have them all in one place.

UNCMark

Banned
Mmmmm my PS+ Star Wars tables will do nicely, thank you, Zen.

Yep me too, or at least all the ones I wanted.

Maybe the tables will be PS+ freebies some day. I can't justify buying them all over again.

I have Marvel and Star Wars tables because they were free on PS+ at some point.

Spartacus073

Neo Member
Happy to hear it is coming to PS4. Not happy I will have to buy all of those tables...again. I have them on the 360 and iPad. If it comes to the Xbox One I wonder if they will allow the cross platform licensing.

ptuck874

plants vs zombies is awesome

If this comes out before TPA my head is going to explode. Great news though. I have a bunch of tables on the PS3/Vita version. 1080p 60fps or 720p 60 fps in 3D... hmmn... which to choose...

Also, the 7.1 surround in Zen Pinball 2 is awesome as well.

I know, I was as surprised as anyone.

UNCMark

Banned
Just a reminder that this is coming to PS4 tomorrow. Interested to see if they've bumped the visuals up at all or if it's just a straight port of the PS3 tables.

Stike

Sorry for bump, but there has been no OT for the PS4 release and no comments on the game for PS4 so far?

Why that?

I played The
Dark
Sorcerers Lair a LOT already and I think I found a new favourite pinball game!

Any other cool tables recommended?

Stike

So what's the difference between Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball 2, and Pinball FX 2? It's confusing keeping track of them

From what I found out so far:
Pinball Arcade: Software-versions of actual pinball arcade machines. Very realistic physics, everything as authentic as possible.
Zen Pinball 2: Only played one table (Sorcerers Lair) so far, but that game aims for more special effects and animations that are not possible on real tables and gameplay/physics remind me greatly of the old "Pinball Dreams" & "Pinball Fantasies" titles in the 90's. Love that.

UNCMark

Banned
So what's the difference between Pinball Arcade, Zen Pinball 2, and Pinball FX 2? It's confusing keeping track of them

Pinball Arcade strives for realism. Zen Pinball does not. I much prefer Zen's way of doing things. Pinball FX is the 360 version of Zen.

Top Bottom