• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape 3 announced, Summer 2016. PR: 3DS and Vita

Status
Not open for further replies.
from dualshockers said:
Danganronpa writer Kazutaka Kodaka (who was present at the panel as well) knows the ending of Zero Escape 3 and said it is “out of this world.” It inspired him to be less lazy. He exchanges ideas with Uchikoshi-san often.

Oh good. Maybe we get a
different villain
in Dangan 3 for starters.

Capra

I played 999, but I never got around to VLR since I never got a 3ds...
I do know a few random spoilers I shouldn't though.
I'll have to get one and pick it up before this drops. I really, really like the new artstyle.

What's this about VLR having a different tone from the original? Aside from some silly anime cliches I really liked 999's "Japanese Saw" vibe.

Lusankya

What's this about VLR having a different tone from the original? Aside from some silly anime cliches I really liked 999's "Japanese Saw" vibe.

Don't worry, the stuff about different tone is blown out of proportion. VLR isn't really different from 999.

LGom09

Crazy theory time, but regarding
Sigma
his cat-like behaviour was never explained, was it? (I forget.)
Is it crazy to suggest that
this is significant in some way, potentially his consciousness can jump into the body of animals... perhaps the dog will actually contain the consciousness of someone of importance?

I was always (no pun intended) curious about that...

What's crazy is you just summarized the plot of another game.

spoilers
----------------Ghost Trick

Lehow

I'll have to get one and pick it up before this drops. I really, really like the new artstyle.

Like 999 was a horror game, so that was lots of creeps moments, like for example the
axe endingor the fucking steps over the blood of the guy who was exploded in the beginning of the game
. That thing creeped me out especially as I was listening with headphones. In VLR, however, these moments were toned down to the point I would classify the game as thriller instead of horror, but still I think it's a great setting, I think the real valid complain would be the game has bit more of fanservice than 999 and the difference of personality Clover has between the games.

grim-tales

That art does look interesting and very intense, but how do we know thats the general art style for the game?
It could be a cutscene or flashback or something presented intentionally in a different way. After VLR had 'some' 2D art

I really, really hope the story and twists deliver here.

NotLiquid

That art does look interesting and very intense, but how do we know thats the general art style for the game?
It could be a cutscene or flashback or something presented intentionally in a different way. After VLR had 'some' 2D art

I really, really hope the story and twists deliver here.

Nishimura isn't returning as lead artist and the key art is going to be predominantly utilized for the game's marketing up to release. It's also markedly different from the art in the previous games so there's that. Although that doesn't rule out differences with in-game depictions similarly to how VLR and 999 were, the developers made it clear that this is the general style and aesthetic that it will have.

Thud

...Ahah.

Ahahaha.

I just realized what 4infinity stands for.

It stands for Mars Infinity. Mars is the fourth planet from the sun. It's a reference to the setting of the game being the Mars Mission Test Site.

Doh

I'm really digging the key art.

Busaiku

Yeah, count me in the camp that prefers the cartoonier look.
Like Phi would look awkward if they go for that more realistic look.

NotLiquid

Yeah, count me in the camp that prefers the cartoonier look.
Like Phi would look awkward if they go for that more realistic look.

Someone mentioned this already I think but the art style looks kind of Hotel Dusk-like if you eliminate the sketchy look of that game.

Hotel_Dusk.jpg

It doesn't mean they can't settle for some more stylized influences. In that game you had characters like Mila and Melissa who were both a bit more on the "anime" side.

That and Sigma isn't the most fair character to use as a barometer for how the character designs/style will spread out. Even in VLR the guy was practically "specimen".

Lusankya

Someone mentioned this already I think but the art style looks kind of Hotel Dusk-like if you eliminate the sketchy look of that game.

Hotel_Dusk.jpg

It doesn't mean they can't settle for some more stylized influences. In that game you had characters like Mila and Melissa who were both a bit more on the "anime" side.

That and Sigma isn't the most fair character to use as a barometer for how the character designs/style will spread out. Even in VLR the guy was practically "specimen".

Whatever happens I will only judge the look of the game once I have seen an ingame screenshot.

grim-tales

According to someone on Twitter (cant find the post) all the words on 4infinity related to ZE3 plotpoints somehow, so its not something we can really solve

convo

I feel like going through the 999 OT since i wasn't interested in the game until after the fact.
Going through a mystery together will be so much fun.

blacksark

...Ahah.

Ahahaha.

I just realized what 4infinity stands for.

It stands for Mars Infinity. Mars is the fourth planet from the sun. It's a reference to the setting of the game being the Mars Mission Test Site.

From the new details of the stream that's right,

grim-tales

Does anyone have a video of the other panel (yesterday)? :)
That art we've seen looks pretty creepy. It reminds me of
The chair in one of the rooms in 999. Why does Sigma have a gun to his head?
I hope things will be kept fresh

redhood56

Banned
I don't think uchikoshi is going to try to westernize it a lot. I really like the mature art along with the art of the other games.

Good chance, especially with them knowing the meat of the sales and interest of the series coming from overseas.

Hope we get little teases and a few pics along the way in the time leading up to next year

So the ZE3 hype makes me want to try out the infinity series VNs. Are they available to buy in english (or patchable to english at least)? And is there a concensus on which is the best one if I can only buy 1, or do I have to play them all in order?

Steel

Banned

VLR has its own vibe going for it. Less Saw and more looking out for who's going to betray who and when.

Vlaphor

I don't think uchikoshi is going to try to westernize it a lot. I really like the mature art along with the art of the other games.

This is actually one of my biggest concerns about ZE3 is the supposed focus on western audiences. I liked the first two because of how Japanese they were, I don't really want an ultra serious tone. I want a guy in armor all the time, I want Alice or Lotus to return, I want a taunting AI overlord who is also an over-the-top digital bunny, and I want attempts to sound serious and metaphysical while also being nonsensical.

The producers of Ninja Gaiden 3 said that one of the reasons that NG3 turned out so bad is that they were trying to tune it to western tastes and failed. Whether this is true or not (judging from how bad Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 was, I'd say this sounds like more of an excuse), this could be still be an issue.

Look at the Souls franchise for guidance, as the vast majority of their sales have been Western (I think it's an 8-1 ratio), but they haven't changed their games, because they know they have what people want.

redhood56

Banned
This is actually one of my biggest concerns about ZE3 is the supposed focus on western audiences. I liked the first two because of how Japanese they were, I don't really want an ultra serious tone. I want a guy in armor all the time, I want Alice or Lotus to return, I want a taunting AI overlord who is also an over-the-top digital bunny, and I want attempts to sound serious and metaphysical while also being nonsensical.

The producers of Ninja Gaiden 3 said that one of the reasons that NG3 turned out so bad is that they were trying to tune it to western tastes and failed. Whether this is true or not (judging from how bad Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2 was, I'd say this sounds like more of an excuse), this could be still be an issue.

Look at the Souls franchise for guidance, as the vast majority of their sales have been Western (I think it's an 8-1 ratio), but they haven't changed their games, because they know they have what people want.
Uchikoshi seems to know what the fans want too. I don't think he will deviate to far from the other games. We will see though, I have total faith in him.

grim-tales

I dont think he will either. I hope he manages to keep things fresh and has some new ideas. My biggest fear is being able to second guess the twists and plot points
Thoughts on the image we saw:
If it is
Diana that makes me look at her differently (though we dont know anything about her, lol). I had assumed Diana was like Luna, if Luna was based Diana.
But what if she isnt actually a nice person, it could be a great contrast :eek:

Korigama

So overall Kinu Nishimura artwork never actually appeared in the games, that's why I wonder how it will be handled with the artwork of the new artist.
Actually, it has appeared in the intros for both games, but was limited to the hero and heroine in both cases. Can't say I remember the names of the additional artists.

I'd say the bigger concern with a change in artists would be the differing sensibilities that come with it, as in how they would interpret Uchikoshi's requests regarding what he's looking for with each individual character's design compared with how Nishimura did. That said, the more realistic style seen here could still lead to clashing with what was used in-game by other artists earlier in the series as well.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Crazy theory time, but regarding
Sigma
his cat-like behaviour was never explained, was it? (I forget.)
Is it crazy to suggest that
this is significant in some way, potentially his consciousness can jump into the body of animals... perhaps the dog will actually contain the consciousness of someone of importance?

I was always (no pun intended) curious about that...

I have always thought it was just to make it clear that he is the shrodinger's cat of the situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom