• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Escape: The Nonary Games [2-pack] announced (PS4/Vita, Spring 2017)

You're really overstating it that moment I feel. lot of people do, it's so weird to me, haha.

Honestly, I remember the Psycho Mantis thing a lot more clearly than what happened in 999. The "twist" isn't what defined or made the game enjoyable for me at all. Else I would never have played it enough to even reach that point.

To be fair, I dropped the game twice because I found it boring. People kept urging me to get the true ending, and when I did and saw that scene, I'm thankful I did stick with it.

I think a "the ending changes everything" type of story is rarely justifiable if the experience prior to that is subpar. 999 is one of those examples where I do see it as justified even if the effect won't be as defined for everyone. Closest I can think of is Uchikoshi's own Ever17, but even that's too long and the twist isn't as hardware specific.

I feel like people are understating its importance honestly.

Yeah, people are making it out to be more than it is. It's not like Trace Memory's use of the DS or anything.

Story-wise, Trace Memory's usage doesn't compare to 999's usage.

I feel like people got mad at ZTD because they didn't got the ending they wished for. Sure, the game had some flaws, but I feel like it was the perfect and most logical conclusion for the whole serie. There was a beautiful message behind this game imo and you need to replay the two previous games imo to get an understanding of the message behind it.
Or maybe because it wasn't an ending at all, and anyone with half a brain and ability to use a critical mindset can see how phoned in it is?

The ending to ZTD is fantastic. Why are people so mad? I can understand the frustration at the lack of continuity and dropped plot points but the ending itself is great.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The ending to ZTD is fantastic. Why are people so mad? I can understand the frustration at the lack of continuity and dropped plot points but the ending itself is great.
I disagree. The lack of
Kyle
and a bunch of other unanswered questions really soured me on it.

Yasumi

Banned
Why does everyone hate ZTD? Sure it's not the best one in the series, but it's far from a bad game.

Well... *series spoilers*

- Dropped plot points from VLR, including Kyle and Blick Winkel.
- Returning characters didn't feel at all like themselves. Junpei and Akane could've been totally different people.
- The Phi and Delta plotline, along with the casual timeloop created by the existence of the brooch.
- Delta in general, honestly. Between COMPLEX MOTIVES, the game's weak attempt at obfuscation through Sean being labeled as Q in pretty much every piece of media, and Delta always just being slightly off-screen. I thought I'd missed something major when I entered his name and, holy fuck, there's suddenly a guy in a supervillain wheelchair in the room.
- How unsatisfying some of the major plot points from previous games were resolved. ICE9? Dropped. Radical 6? It was just in the facility and spread because Mira and Diana were dumb.
- The alien fax machine. *Incredibly* dumb plot device to be introduced this late into the series.
- Carlos waiting 10 months to do anything after alien-fax-machining himself to the past, effectively accomplishing nothing.
- Everything was done just to stop some no-name terrorist, and that's not even resolved. We're only given "They might catch him."
- Holy shit, the epilogue files. So out of character, so poorly written, and we didn't even get anything for D-Team. Q-Team's epilogue and its implications was some of the dumbest crap I'd read in the entire series.
- Quotes from Uchikoshi:
"Because Zero Escape series has already been out of my hands, and now it’s owned by the players. If there is a theory that makes more feasible or convincing than mine, you can adopt it as your canon."
“It goes without saying that what is the identity of ‘?’. It’s as many players are presuming. At least, I wrote ‘Another Time End’ in VLR with the intention of it. Also there is no doubt that ‘?’ intervened in ZTD. In order to imply that, the ability of Mind Hack by Delta was set to resemble the things that ‘?’ can do. You can choose one you like from the following 3 theories. The character did it or Delta did it or ‘?’ did it. The choice is yours.”
Bringing the discussion full circle, he concludes by delivering his thoughts on Kyle. “In passing, I’d tell you about Kyle. I said that ‘Another Time End’ was metafiction. Therefore I’d like you to interpret Old Akane’s words in ‘Another Time End’ as metafiction. This means that she was talking toward the player in this REAL WORLD. She said ‘He (Kyle) has arrived at December 25th, 2028.’ And now is 2016. This year isn’t 2028. This is my plan.”

“I’m often asked like ‘Where is Kyle?’ The short answer is this. ‘He will be in 2028.’ I hope this is useful for you. Thank you!”
As someone who fell in love with 999 (and kind of iffy on VLR) because of the narrative, it's incredibly disheartening to read that the main creative mind behind the series has pretty much given up. That tells me I shouldn't care either.

I probably missed a few, but these are the main reasons ZTD is so disappointing.

Why are people so mad?
Six pages into the thread and you're still asking this, as if this hasn't been answered already. This reminds ma of people going "why do people like this?" as if searching it up instead of asking a dumb question, rhetorical or not, is too hard.

ZTD defenders for you.
The hyperbolic nonsense continues.

You don't honestly believe that zero escape 3 had no effort put in to it, surely?
Please read, I'm talking about the ending. It's completely half-assed and barely does anything to detail catalytic characters, important plot points like the villain's C O M P L E X M O T I V E S, or the sheer reason you were stuck in the bunker doing puzzles in the first place. Even the first two games tell you why you're doing these puzzles, this one does it because it's a puzzle series and it needs some gameplay.

For what it's worth I gave it a 6/10, and while that's still a very wary 6/10, I acknowledge what the game does right. I think overall it's a fair game, but a massive disappointment. Considering some of the other disappointments I've played recently and the scores I gave them, I'm nowhere near saying ZTD had no effort put into it.

NotLiquid

I really can't comprehend how you guys can be so angry at ZTD.

I legitimately think it's a better game than VLR.

Or rather, I legitimately think the game is far more satisfying to complete than VLR. That game just made me angry more than anything with it's ending. I couldn't really see the game go anywhere else considering the precedent of the ramifications and implications that VLR set.

Have you ever been incredibly disappointed by any media you were emotionally invested in?

It seems curious to me that so many people ITT are unaware that many of us had quite a bit of emotional investment in Zero Escape and refusing to understand how seeing ZTD's shitty payoff could piss people off is just willful ignorance. "How can people not like this thing???"

DNAbro

Maybe the last spoken sentence is pretty great but everything leading up to that is incredibly asinine.

Complex motives

Hylian7

I wonder with Spike Chunsoft is going to talk about the Steam version, after all they did confirm that.

That's what "fans" have turned it into, yes.

Anyway, is this thread really the place to argue about ZTD?

The sad reality is that every ZE thread is going to become this argument about whether ZTD is a good game or not.

I disagree. The lack of
Kyle
and a bunch of other unanswered questions really soured me on it.

It was a real letdown for me as well and as I said I can understand the frustration at the lack of continuity and dropped plot points. However if you take it for what it is there were some really cool parts which are up there with the best moments in the series

*I thought it was really cool and poetic how Delta keeps talking about how life is simply unfair and the group that wins the coin toss is the one who ends up dying. Amazing use of irony

*I thought the reference to the shoot the dog trope was quite clever

I thought it was interesting how Delta had technically not killed anyone but everyone was angry at him and we are supposed to feel confused as to whether he is technically guilty or not

I thought the explanation given for Delta releasing radical 6 was more than satisfactory and the use of the ambiguous ending was the perfect way to end the series.

I acknowledge that ZTD had it's fair share of problems and I wish it had been as mind bending as 999 and VLR as well but that doesn't mean it didn't have its moments.

So many reasons. But I'll do a crude and simplistic comparison with a more broad issue of mine. 999 and VLR were mature in tone. They had an unpredictability and volatility that induced unease and a sense of mystery that produced intrigue.

Whereas there are moments
when a single snail can make a world go extinct
in Zero Time Dilemma that (to be particularly unkind) are more akin to Shadow the Hedgehog in regards to being tryhard 'dark' and 'edgy' rather than feeling genuinely and disturbingly unpredictable.

myco666

Have you ever been incredibly disappointed by any media you were emotionally invested in?

It seems curious to me that so many people ITT are unaware that many of us had quite a bit of emotional investment in Zero Escape and refusing to understand how seeing ZTD's shitty payoff could piss people off is just willful ignorance. "How can people not like this thing???"

Honestly not really. Somewhat disappointed but never to this point.

It is not that I don't understand being massively disappointed for the game. Just that some of you are so angry that you even go insult people who might defend/like the game. That is what I don't understand.

Or maybe because it wasn't an ending at all, and anyone with half a brain and ability to use a critical mindset can see how phoned in it is?

"Someone disagree with me, quick, let's call them names indirectly and question their intelligence".
You're a sad and pathetic person.

Gurnlei

I bought ZTD day 1 on Steam and still haven't played it. If they release first on PS4/Vita over PC I think I'll just start the games there.

- Delta in general, honestly. Between COMPLEX MOTIVES, the game's weak attempt at obfuscation through Sean being labeled as Q in pretty much every piece of media, and Delta always just being slightly off-screen. I thought I'd missed something major when I entered his name and, holy fuck, there's suddenly a guy in a supervillain wheelchair in the room.
Good god, this. (Full game spoilers below)
That question was literally just a case of "what names have been mentioned in this game that I haven't used yet?" Uhhh...the baby? ASDFGHJKL THE BABY? It came out of nowhere, but it wasn't satisfying as a puzzle or as an answer. I felt like I got more cohesion from Frog Fractions than this game at times. Honestly, the best parts of ZTD were the subtleties. The anagrams including the game's title, the fact that Sean is never explicitly called Q, other little things. In hindsight, they were great. It's just a shame that the big, in your face plot points were just...eugh.

The game though, wasn't all bad. I liked the puzzles, I kind of accepted Junpei's massive change in character, the ending that linked into VLR turned out well after a pretty bad start, and the one room twist was genuinely a good one. The music was great, and I have ZTD artwork as my desktop background. It's as mentioned before. The smaller bits, the more subtle ones were excellent. It was the glue that stuck together one disappointing package. Most of my disappointment was because of how invested I was in the series, but I still had fun, the dislike was more in retrospect. Still a solid game, a solid VN, just with...problems.

On the sequel disappointment scale, it's much lower down. More of a Mass Effect 3 than a Devil May Cry 2.

The game also gave birth to this, which I still find a little funny.

SPOILER]

Yasumi

Banned
Good god, this. (Full game spoilers below)
That question was literally just a case of "what names have been mentioned in this game that I haven't used yet?" Uhhh...the baby? ASDFGHJKL THE BABY? It came out of nowhere, but it wasn't satisfying as a puzzle or as an answer. I felt like I got more cohesion from Frog Fractions than this game at times. Honestly, the best parts of ZTD were the subtleties. The anagrams including the game's title, the fact that Sean is never explicitly called Q, other little things. In hindsight, they were great. It's just a shame that the big, in your face plot points were just...eugh.

The game though, wasn't all bad. I liked the puzzles, I kind of accepted Junpei's massive change in character, the ending that linked into VLR turned out well after a pretty bad start, and the one room twist was genuinely a good one. The music was great, and I have ZTD artwork as my desktop background. It's as mentioned before. The smaller bits, the more subtle ones were excellent. It was the glue that stuck together one disappointing package. Most of my disappointment was because of how invested I was in the series, but I still had fun, the dislike was more in retrospect. Still a solid game, a solid VN, just with...problems.

On the sequel disappointment scale, it's much lower down. More of a Mass Effect 3 than a Devil May Cry 2.

The game also gave birth to this, which I still find a little funny.
Err, you might want to fix your spoiler tags on the quote.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait to replay 999 and VLR on PS4, especially now that the former has VA. Hope they adjusted VLR's camera/cursor control with the analog sticks to be more like ZTD, I can see the DS4 touchpad actually being useful for a change in this too, so that'd be a nice feature. And despite the conflicted feelings over it, ZTD really ought to be in this collection too.

Edit: on the dual screen stuff, to anyone who hasn't played 999 and is being told to go for the DS version, please ignore these people. People greatly exaggerate the impact of that gimmick, and with all the problems the iOS version has with cut dialogue and lack of puzzles, the one thing it did prove is that there is nothing lost from putting the game on a single screen. I can guarantee that having voice acting will give that scene far more of an impact than that gimmick ever did. And not having to replay the whole game again thanks to the flow chart makes this version a no-brainer.

Yes.

For one I was completely blue balled by VLR's ending.
Well, I personally felt that
it was successful at both tying up enough loose ends and creating interesting plot threads to follow, so I disagree.

But I do see why you'd think that way. Fair enough.

Top Bottom