• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zero Time Dilemma: first trailer released [3DS and Vita 6/28, Steam TBA]

God, I hate the english dub so fucking much, I hope the game will come with the japanese dub available.

The trailer itself didn't do much for me, but because I'm already a fan, well, it didn't change my decision of buying this jewel.

redhood56

Banned
Amazing. It looks like they got all the VAs back too. It looks so dark too. I'll binge it on vita at launch and then play it on steam whenever it comes out( since it has no release in guessing it is not launching at the same time) It just looks so good Aaaaahhhhhh 😭😭😭
Edit: yeah sigma is different. I'm okay he sounds good imo

Wanderer5

Woo not too far into the summer. Also sweet a Steam version, but think I stick with the 3DS version, for on the go and the watch.

chadboban

Wait so does the steam release indicate that 999 and VLR may also get a PC port as well? I'd love it if more people could play these incredible games. Especially my best friend who only owns a PC, I'd gift the shit out of those two games to him.

def sim

In the Kotaku article, it's said that the developers are hinting the first two games will come to Steam. Great, because I don't know what this is. 👍🏼

mStudios

Here’s the main gimmick, as described by Kirk: “The narrative trick is that every 90 minutes, a drug is injected from the watches everyone’s wearing that causes them to wake up and lose all their memories.
The story can be played out of chronological order thanks to this mechanic, so you start from a ‘floating fragment’ screen that shows you the various scenes in the story.”

Make sense? No? That’s the idea. Explains Kirk: “The characters don’t know where they are in the timeline, and neither does the player.
When you complete a segment it goes into the larger decision tree, which tells you where it actually happens in the story.
So the idea is, you play a fragment, the fragment plays out, then you go back out to the floating fragment screen and it shows you where the thing you just played fits into the narrative flow.
You might start a fragment and see only two characters, but not yet know how the third died.

Damn

Two Words

The best revelation from this is that Phi's voice actress is returning. I can't say I care for Zero's "Jigsaw" voice. I wish they did something like K. K's voice sounds fairly normal, but it is clearly voice-altered.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Animations are just as stiff as in VLR but the goryness and setting of 999 is definitely back. Can't wait for this!

EDIT: Steam too? Holy shit megaton!

Nachos

Here's what I've been able to piece together of the English cast:

Carlos - Kaiji Tang?
Eric - Keith Silverstein
Phi - Karen Strassman
Q - No clue
Junpei - Evan Smith?
Akane - Rena Strober
Diana - Ashly Burch
Mira - Again, no clue.
Sigma - Matthew Mercer
Zero - DC Douglas (confirmed)

VLR spoilers:
I knew there was no way of Baker coming back to play Sigma, but I thought that there was a decent shot of Bailey being Diana since she was already Luna and voiced Diana in that one VLR clip.

Cool, there's some locations I recognize from the other games.

Voices kinda suck though, to be perfectly honest. Hopefully they're better in the final release.

Pretty sure it's the audio mix that's off. That's why things sound a little weird. Not sure if I'm feeling English Junpei or Carlos, though.

The VA in the trailer is rough, but it's mostly screaming, which rarely sounds great out of context. And vlr had really good voice acting, so I'm not worried yet.

God, I hate the english dub so fucking much, I hope the game will come with the japanese dub available.

The trailer itself didn't do much for me, but because I'm already a fan, well, it didn't change my decision of buying this jewel.

And even if the VA blows, it's dual audio.

Two Words

Wait, a Steam release? Looks like I'm gonna cancel my Vita preorder. I'd much prefer playing this game on a 27" screen or my 15.4" laptop over my 5" Vita.

Cool, there's some locations I recognize from the other games.

Voices kinda suck though, to be perfectly honest. Hopefully they're better in the final release.

Hoping so too. VLR with the exception of a couple characters (Looking at you Quark and Clover) had pretty great English voice acting. Although, the Japanese cast is pretty much All-Stars.

Hyoukokun

The randomization mechanic sounds fascinating and rife with potential for plot shenanigans... I'm almost willing to bet that at some point we will encounter '50-50' odds on something that where there's actually a third outcome, or one of the outcomes actually can't happen (until some other criteria is met).

edit: and steam. Heck yeah! May double dip for that, though I'm already lined up for the 3DS version.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wait, a Steam release? Looks like I'm gonna cancel my Vita preorder. I'd much prefer playing this game on a 27" screen or my 15.4" laptop over my 5" Vita.

I'll just double dip. Not going to wait several months when spoilers will be about.

Carlos - Kaiji Tang?
Eric - Keith Silverstein
Phi - Karen Strassman
Q - No clue
Junpei - Evan Smith?
Akane - Rena Strober
Diana - Ashly Burch
Mira - Again, no clue.
Sigma - Matthew Mercer

VLR spoilers:
I knew there was no way of Baker coming back to play Sigma, but I thought that Bailey would be Diana since she was already Luna.

Pretty sure it's the audio mix that's off. That's why things sound a little weird. Not sure if I'm feeling English Junpei or Carlos, though.

Voice work in the trailer seemed a little rough. Ashly Burch as Diana does not fill me with hope. Bad voice work can't tarnish this game too much, but... it'd be cool if it elevated it, rather than hold it back at all. Especially with them going for a more 'cinematic approach' rather than VN segments this time around.

Two Words

Carlos - Kaiji Tang?
Eric - Keith Silverstein
Phi - Karen Strassman
Q - No clue
Junpei - Evan Smith?
Akane - Rena Strober
Diana - Ashly Burch
Mira - Again, no clue.
Sigma - Matthew Mercer

VLR spoilers:
I knew there was no way of Baker coming back to play Sigma, but I thought that Bailey would be Diana since she was already Luna.

VLR stuff:

Seems like Diana is the woman you hear in VLR talk about all 6 billion people dying. Seems like the same woman's voice too.

Aldric

In!

edit: Holy shit that looks way bloodier than the previous two combined

999 was pretty gory and generally more oppressive than VLR. l'm glad they're coming back to that kind of atmosphere.

Seconding the need for dual audio though, l'd rather not play through the game while cringing constantly.

Bowlie

Banned
Also, yes to dual audio! Will definitely play in japanese.

edit: man, I'd loooooooooooove to have 999, vlr and ZTD on steam.

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
From Kotaku:
The developers say the story will be told through cinematics; there’s no more lengthy prose. All of the dialogue will be voiced. “You can play the game without reading,” they say. They’re also trying to make it as accessible as possible to people who haven’t played the first two games.
Hmm... gut reaction is to be skeptical.

Also the trailer felt a little too much like Saw.

Visually looks like an anime version of Telltale's Walking Dead. Not sure how well it's working for me.

Glad to have the oppressive tone back, though. That was one of my biggest letdowns with VLR.

The best revelation from this is that Phi's voice actress is returning. I can't say I care for Zero's "Jigsaw" voice. I wish they did something like K. K's voice sounds fairly normal, but it is clearly voice-altered.

Her voice was my favorite in VLR! Also, yeah, also not caring about the Jigsaw vibe, but that's only a very minor gripe.

Jaymageck

Release date = awesome.

Overall, looks pretty good.

Some reservations. Animation is a bit meh and I guess is the price we're paying in the transition to dynamic cutscenes rather than character models/background. Voice acting in the trailer is questionable, unsure if it'll match the quality of VLR. It may just be more jarring seeing them lining up with animated cutscenes for the first time though.

kewlmyc

Carlos - Kaiji Tang?
Eric - Keith Silverstein
Phi - Karen Strassman
Q - No clue
Junpei - Evan Smith?
Akane - Rena Strober
Diana - Ashly Burch
Mira - Again, no clue.
Sigma - Matthew Mercer

VLR spoilers:
I knew there was no way of Baker coming back to play Sigma, but I thought that there was a decent shot of Bailey being Diana since she was already Luna and voiced Diana in that one VLR clip.

Matthew Mercer making bank as not-Baker for all of the sequels to the smaller games Baker did.

Top Bottom