• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ziff Davis selling 1up, EGM, rest of game division.

Flynn

Stinkles said:
That writing was physically painful to read. My face really hurts. It was like the satirist from the Chico State college paper wrote an editorial while on crack.

Yeah, Destructoid has it's heart in the right place -- trying to be a Defamer for games -- but few of their bloggers are up to the task.

RumFore

Banned
I wonder how much these guys make. EGM I'm surprised at though being that they have a ridiculous amount of ads and paid subscriptions. I bet the original owners are having a good laugh. They sold it for around $250 million and can probably buy it back for 25.

Bloodwake

Eh, this isn't surprising.

I've always had a soft spot in my heart for 1up though... the site is actually pretty cool sometimes (1up show) except for the fact it's one of the few sites that's actually slower than GAF.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
extremeeh0.jpg

"THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU **** A STRANGER IN THE ASS"

Deku

Banned
RumpledForeskin said:
I wonder how much these guys make. EGM I'm surprised at though being that they have a ridiculous amount of ads and paid subscriptions. I bet the original owners are having a good laugh. They sold it for around $250 million and can probably buy it back for 25.

Who owned EGM originally?

skip

Gaijin To Ronin said:
So we jumped from a shitty piece of writing to "Good bye 1UP & EGM".... amazing.

yeah this place is great. I can't wait to get started working for you guys.

Luckett_X

Banned
One of the benefits is that their cruel new overlords might actually line up outlandish demands like "Make your ****ing site viewable to most of the god damn public and make it not look like someone threw up metric unclickable tons of information text all over an html page!!" and forcing shane to actually change his name to Jessica Bettenhausen.

Scoot said:
We're not going anywhere. When we get bought, we won't be going away.
Sorry, Reilly.

But the company would go through some kind of alteration process where some devisions will get closed out and some people will get pink slips.

Lee N

Membre
drohne said:
extremeeh0.jpg

"THIS IS WHAT YOU GET WHEN YOU **** A STRANGER IN THE ASS"

Hey, Luke should totally dye his beard red and walk around in a metal armour and/or his underwear.

skip

acousticvan said:
But the company would go through some kind of alteration process where some devisions will be get closed out and some people will get pink slips.

that's quite the assumption.

A_Lee_N said:
Hey, Luke should totally dye his beard red and walk around in a metal armour and/or his underwear.

That's why it looks like he did some grooming in the last 1UP Show.

EGM to be sold to Conde Nast Publications!

Joe

so is this the real reason why they put all that money into gamevideos.com, the podcasts, and 1up show?

Lee N

Membre
skip said:
that's quite the assumption.
not more or less than to assume it won't happen though, unless you already know who's buying. But then it's not an assumption anymore.

Well, you can't blame people for fearing the worst in these kind of situations. Print is on the decline, and we've lost a lot of great mags in the last few years. People definitely jumped to the worst too quickly, but what that amounts to is that people are worried about losing something they really enjoy. Sure you want to mock them for that?

ezekial45

Banned
Well, i hope for the best for 1UP and EGM. Once someone buys them i hope they remain the same.

Ziff Davis just gave up completely on their Gaming department. First they axe OPM and now this happens.

Luckett_X

Banned
skip talks with such unwise disdain to his approaching new dickensian style workhouse masters! You will soon learn to still thy venomous tongue.

drohne

ezekial45 said:
Well, i hope for the best for 1UP and EGM. Once someone buys them i hope they remain the same.

their transition to microsoft advertorial will be so subtle that you'll hardly notice the difference!

drohne

hopefully not like when i wrote for xbn -- they closed the magazine the day i submitted my first article

Burai

shitonmychest57
When they didn't renew the PlayStation licence, it was obvious something was up.

It's not surprising though. There's just no money to be made from video game magazines any more. Here in the UK, we've seen Dennis and Emap sell off and close down their video game divisions, Highbury Entertainment went bust and Future look set to do the same within the next couple of years (which will have a massive knock-on effect in the States too).

Norse

while I really like 1up, I cant stand egm.....wont be sorry to see them go. Course that means people may lose a job, and that I dont like.

Was this the reason for the "layoff" argument at the beginning of this weeks 1up yours?

Norse

drohne said:
their transition to microsoft advertorial will be so subtle that you'll hardly notice the difference!

you pissed the massive sony slant may go bye bye? Frickin EGM should be owned by sony for its bs sony slant. Thought Shane was going to cry on that egm podcast during xmas break.

LukeSmith

Norse said:
Was this the reason for the "layoff" argument at the beginning of this weeks 1up yours?

Just garnett being wrong. He decided to get that out of the way right at the beginning of the show this week. Kill the suspense or something.

Top Bottom