• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZOE 3 is coming! It's time for love! OR IS IT?

Holy damn I hope I get to see this come out.

The 2nd one was amazing, one of my favorite games of last gen. Definitely the best mech game ever.

Thank good the whiny brat turned into a badass. That made it totally worth finishing the original.

Oh and I can also see this game being great on Rev. I can see the controls being perfect for it. It was a pretty simple game control wise. But eh....PS3 graphics <3

gogogow said:
Is the Feb show confirmed yet?

no not yet. MassiveAttack (who told us about Warhawk before E3) said that it should be confirmed this week. But PS2 is doing well in all territories there is no reason to show the PS3 right now…

BudokaiMR2 said:
Thank good the whiny brat turned into a badass. That made it totally worth finishing the original.
It's not so much him being a badass as it is that he's piloting the freaking Vic Viper. It's so damn cool there's even a gradius remix playing.

Crazymoogle said:
It's not so much him being a badass as it is that he's piloting the freaking Vic Viper. It's so damn cool there's even a gradius remix playing.

QFT. But if he can pilot the Vic Viper, he is a badass. Haha.

I didn't really mind the kid in the first one though. I mean it was a good story I thought.

the part where the mech fell on the kids that were bullying him was pretty fucked up.

BudokaiMR2 said:
Oh and I can also see this game being great on Rev. I can see the controls being perfect for it. It was a pretty simple game control wise. But eh....PS3 graphics <3

Are you talking about using the Rev controller to swing your arm around with Jehutys attacks? Your arm would fall off from how much fighting you do. :p Kojima's said he want sto do an original game for the Rev. So whether or not he directs it, it'll likely be his concept which ZOE isn't (that's Okamura's concept).

SolidSnakex said:
Are you talking about using the Rev controller to swing your arm around with Jehutys attacks? Your arm would fall off from how much fighting you do. :p Kojima's said he want sto do an original game for the Rev. So whether or not he directs it, it'll likely be his concept which ZOE isn't (that's Okamura's concept).

I can see that. But I think the whole swinging your arm around idea is blown out of proportion.

From how precise we have heard teh revmote is, I would assume you could do sword attacks pretty easy with just wrist movements. That could still get tiresome though.

And you would have precise control for subweapons and your other long range attacks too.

Personally I think it is suited to it. You have the Analog for movement, one of those z buttons for dash, the other for block. Then you have the revmote for all your attacks.

jett

D-Member
ZOE2's controls are more complex than that...and definitely require more buttons than what the revmote has. :p How would increase or decrease your height, or control the camera? Besides, the mechanics are built around lock-on, so you don't need "precise aiming" at all. Controlling ZOE2 with a nunchuck+revmote configuration would be a nightmare. It's quick-reaction action game, revmote/wrist-slash controls would be a hindrance, not an advantange.

jett said:
ZOE2's controls are more complex than that...and definitely require more buttons than what the revmote has. :p How would increase or decrease your height, or control the camera? Besides, the mechanics are built around lock-on, so you don't need "precise aiming" at all. Controlling ZOE2 with a nunchuck+revmote configuration would be a nightmare. It's quick-reaction action game, revmote/wrist-slash controls would be a hindrance, not an advantange.

Okay...I am glad you can be so confident about something you haven't touched yet.

I am not saying it will work, and the game sure as hell isn't coming to Revolution anyway.

I just spouted off some random ideas.

Okay so instead you can have the Z1 and Z2 buttons for accelerate, A button to lock on, and b button to guard. Then you have that bottom button for your attacks.

And I don't remember there actually ever beeing 'camera control' in the game. I remember you could look a little bit one direction, as if Jehuty turned his head. So yeah Rev could do that easy.

You also forget a lot of this simple stuff could be done with button+rev movement.

I just think ZOE is way to reliant on fighting to do all that waving or wrist movingfor that amount of time. In ZOE2 there was very little time in a stage where you weren't in a big fight against multiple enemies. The Rev controller will be great for alot of games (like FPS), but those high end action games that are just pure fighting I don't think it'll work that well.

jett

D-Member
BudokaiMR2 said:
Okay...I am glad you can be so confident about something you haven't touched yet.

I am not saying it will work, and the game sure as hell isn't coming to Revolution anyway.

I just spouted off some random ideas.

Okay so instead you can have the Z1 and Z2 buttons for accelerate, A button to lock on, and b button to guard. Then you have that bottom button for your attacks.

And I don't remember there actually ever beeing 'camera control' in the game. I remember you could look a little bit one direction, as if Jehuty turned his head. So yeah Rev could do that easy.

You also forget a lot of this simple stuff could be done with button+rev movement.

When you're not locked you have free control over the camera with L3. ZOE2 is a game that literally uses every single button the PS2 controller. With which Rev button would you guard/energize? With which one would you grab enemies? How would you select the different subweapons? How would you change the lock-on between different enemies? I just don't think it's possible. ZOE2 most certainly doesn't have simple controls.

And again, even if you somehow managed to map all the movements to the revmote...what exactly would be the point of being able to manually swing jehuty's blade? :p You'd just get a crappy-looking ZOE game with crippled controls.

In any case, ZOE3 will probably never happen anyway, but I don't see a game with its mechanics being possible on the revolution controller.

revolution-controller-at-a-glance-20050915061358181-000.jpg

I mean, just look at it. To be able to use the A button in conjuction with the little ones below it you'd have to constantly readjust your hand position, which equals to being a fucked in a hi-speed action like ZOE2. :p It's just a mess. And the nunchuck only has 2 buttons, I think. The game's controls are just too complex for the revmote.

negitoro7

After I clicked on this thread, I opened up my mp3 file of "beyond the bounds". Goosebumps ensued.

Damn I want me some ZOE3, please make it happen Konami.

Cosmozone

Somehow ZOE2 wasn't all that spectacular to me. The particle effects and the tons of enemys at the screen on the same time were great, but the graphics looked bland. Blueish blues and brownish browns everywhere. Apart from that it was a very good game. That battlefield part kept me busy.

And about the revolution controller, how about this:

Basics:
Main controller - Movement
A button - Dash
B button - Attack
D-Pad - auxiliary functions
Analogue stick - free camera (not necessarily needed)

----------------
Basic movement:
Left/Right - tilt controller left/right
Forward/Backward - tilt controller forward/backward
Turning - turn controller left/right
Up/Down - move controller up/down

Dashing:
Press A button while performing basic movement

Fighting:
Normal attack - B button
Dash attack - press B button while dashing
Grab - move controller forward/towards enemy and press B
Throw - move controller in throw direction and press B
Burst attack - press B button while standing still
Fire auxiliary weapon - press B and move controller backward (recoil)
Guard - tilt controller all the way up

Camera:
Move around player - Analogue stick
Zoom in - Z1
Zoom out - Z2

D-Pad:
Lock on - D-Pad up or down
Switch between locks - D-Pad up or down
Release Lock - press and hold D-Pad up or down for some seconds
Switch between auxiliary weapons - D-Pad left and right

Only one possible solution. Hm, only up/down is a little bit awkward. While playing ZOE2 on the PS2, I almost never guarded. It made me looking frantically for the correct button and not finding it in time. This way it's much more natural. :)

I tracked down a copy of ZoE2 on gaffer advice, and it never really grabbed me. Even with all the attacks and control and style, i still felt near the end llike i was beating it because i wanted to be done, not because i wanted to see the ending.

Cosmozone

Pedigree Chum said:
Look, ZOE3 isn't coming to Rev, just drop this crap. Beg for another series please, ZOE is meant to be on powerful hardware.
Come on, everybody knows Revo will gain 80% marketshare worldwide. We must think about the poor ZOE fans, too. :)

BobTheFork said:
I tracked down a copy of ZoE2 on gaffer advice, and it never really grabbed me. Even with all the attacks and control and style, i still felt near the end llike i was beating it because i wanted to be done, not because i wanted to see the ending.

Some people dont like watermelon. ZoE2 is like digital watermelon. You're very wrong for not liking watermelon, but we dont hold that against you. Thanks for your contribution to this thread.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
THIS SHOULD BE FOR THE REVOLUTION!!

LOL @ ZOE not being appropriate for Revolution controller...... It was made for the Rev controller!!

I think you guys have added limits to your mental concept of the Revolution if you somehow think ZOE is too fast for it :D

BocoDragon said:
THIS SHOULD BE FOR THE REVOLUTION!!

LOL @ ZOE not being appropriate for Revolution controller...... It was made for the Rev controller!!

I think you guys have added limits to your mental concept of the Revolution if you somehow think ZOE is too fast for it :D

I think that ZOE could work well with the Rev controller, but there's no way I want ZOE3 to be limited by Rev's hardware. This wouldn't even be an issue if Nintendo made the Rev as powerful as X360/PS3. I want ZOE3 to be the best looking game it can be, that's not possible on Rev.

BocoDragon

araganekyassuru said:
the only reason for Konami not to make it for PS3 is to piss people off

If it was on the Rev the game concept would reach its full potential IMO.

BocoDragon

Pedigree Chum said:
I think that ZOE could work well with the Rev controller, but there's no way I want ZOE3 to be limited by Rev's hardware. This wouldn't even be an issue if Nintendo made the Rev as powerful as X360/PS3. I want ZOE3 to be the best looking game it can be, that's not possible on Rev.

It can look far better than ZOE2 looks. Rev > Cube > PS2, obviously. That's all I care about. You'd really sacrifice a game's chance of becoming one of the most engaging activities ever, just for a few more pretty particle effects?

Not that ZOE3 on PS3 in HD wouldn't be amazing........ but I'd trade it for a Revolution version in a half-second.

BocoDragon said:
It can look far better than ZOE2 looks. Rev > Cube > PS2, obviously. That's all I care about. You'd really sacrifice a game's chance of becoming one of the most engaging activities ever, just for a few more pretty particle effects?

Not that ZOE3 on PS3 in HD wouldn't be amazing........ but I'd trade it for a Revolution version in a half-second.

Well I wouldn't, the DS2 was just fine for ZOE2 and it will be just fine for ZOE3 and with the PS3 hardware they could take this series to new hieghts. I wouldn't mind this coming to Rev IF the system was comparable to X360 and PS3, but Nintendo fucked that up.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
gaf needs a blanket prohibition on hypothetical revolution control schemes. or at least on hypothetical revolution control schemes IN THREADS THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH REVOLUTION. "if you waggle like so, your guy will do this sweet uppercut" aaaaaaagh

D3VI0US

Only fucking idiots thing ZOE will be out on Rev and that it would be a better fit than one of the mainstream consoles. You kids should be drug out into the street and shot, idiots. Still waiting on a yes or no on this being BS or not?

jett

D-Member
D3VI0US said:
Only fucking idiots thing ZOE will be out on Rev and that it would be a better fit than one of the mainstream consoles. You kids should be drug out into the street and shot, idiots. Still waiting on a yes or no on this being BS or not?

Don't you know that EVERY SINGLE GAME EVER CREATED BELONGS ON THE REVOLUTION!?!?!?!

BudokaiMR2 said:

I really wish GAF had reading comprehension =/ Maybe I should bold things, they seem to like that.

God forbid someone brings up hypothetical control ideas in a thread about a hypothetical game.

Generally people forget that the rev functions can take the place of a lot of normal button functions easily.

Let me give you an example. How do jets increase their speed? A throttle lever right?
Do you get it yet?

Hold a button on the Revmote, maybe up, and then you move the revmote forward to speed up, pull back to slow down, etc. And hot damn[\b] you have yourself a virtual throttle lever. Apply this to ZOE and you have a perfectly capable, dare I say superior, control system for throttle.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
BudokaiMR2 said:
Hold a button on the Revmote, maybe up, and then you move the revmote forward to speed up, pull back to slow down, etc. And hot damn[\b] you have yourself a virtual throttle lever. Apply this to ZOE and you have a perfectly capable, dare I say superior, control system for throttle.

Why is it superior than moving a stick up and down with a finger? Sorry, but I really cant see myself playing a fast paced combat game like that with the Revmote and then be able to use my right arm for the rest of my life. :)

TTP said:
Why is it superior than moving a stick up and down with a finger? Sorry, but I really cant see myself playing a fast paced combat game like that with the Revmote and then be able to use my right arm for the rest of my life. :)

Dude, moving your arm around like a moron is revolutionary!

BudokaiMR2 said:

You're often fighting while moving forward/back (zero shifting or just boosting also) and up and down. Now can you imagine moving your arm like that while also flicking your arm around to attack constantly?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
these revo control schemes just make you wonder about the wellness of their authors. they turn some logical combination of stick and button inputs into the wrist equivalent of a double-axel-half-gainer-with-a-flourish and have either the audacity or the stupidity to call this an improvement. but we really shouldn't encourage them.

BocoDragon

Once again, certain members of GAF demonstrate their childish and disturbing aversion to Nintendo.

I love how it's chalked up to fanboyism or the usual Nintendo masturbation..... If we suggest that the most airborne action game gets the most dextrous controller (REV), it's only because it's so obvious!

ZOE3 on PS3 would be perfectly fine (though BORING). ....But continue playing the same games forever with simple graphical updates if you'd like.........

BocoDragon said:
ZOE3 on PS3 would be perfectly fine (though BORING). ....But continue playing the same games forever with simple graphical updates if you'd like.........

graphics can make a huge difference! They have the power to create more immersive worlds and overall they can make any game more memorable.

Amir0x

Banned
D3VI0US said:

No. Why do people gotta take these things so far?

BocoDragon said:
Once again, certain members of GAF demonstrate their childish and disturbing aversion to Nintendo.

I love how it's chalked up to fanboyism or the usual Nintendo masturbation..... If we suggest that the most airborne action game gets the most dextrous controller (REV), it's only because it's so obvious!

Also no.

Bebpo

Banned
BocoDragon said:

Reading posts of insane men on these forums makes my head feel like it will explode:

scream.gif

Doom_Bringer said:
graphics can make a huge difference! They have the power to create more immersive worlds and overall they can make any game more memorable.

Not just graphics, but they could take advantage of the physics. Lots and lots of destruction like was seen in the recent Gundam trailer with the mech falling through the building. Graphics are getting the spotlight for now, but physics will be what seperates the devs making next gen games vs. those making prettier versions of their series.

SolidSnakex said:
Not just graphics, but they could take advantage of the physics. Lots and lots of destruction like was seen in the recent Gundam trailer with the mech falling through the building. Graphics are getting the spotlight for now, but physics will be what seperates the devs making next gen games vs. those making prettier versions of their series.

yeah physics are fun especially when you can interact with them. I spent a lot of time torturing enemy soldier with psi powers in Psi-ops and that last level on Half Life 2 with the super gravity gun was one of the best experiences ever.

I can't wait for next gen!

Doom_Bringer said:

Nah man you're wrong, SOTC would have been much better with 8-bit graphics. Pft, who needs graphics.

Amir0x

Banned
god guys he was just saying 3d graphics this gen have been good, and that since revolution will still be more powerful than this one he thinks it'll be sufficient

he's still wrong of course but that's besides the point!

jett

D-Member
Amir0x said:
god guys he was just saying 3d graphics this gen have been good, and that since revolution will still be more powerful than this one he thinks it'll be sufficient

he's still wrong of course but that's besides the point!

I don't think he will care much anymore, with him being banned and all.

Top Bottom