• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ZombiU |OT| Zombi Emergency! WiiU WiiU WiiU WiiU

Meh, hit a glitch when I reached the
Tower of London
. My character died so I was on my way back to recover my loot, killed a zombie and pressed X to loot his body and I couldn't get out of that backpack searching animation =/

Had the exact same glitch from there as well.

Sanctuary

How crazy is it that you can come out of a loading screen and the game will still actually be loading?

And right after that, the first door you try to open that's only a few feet away gives you yet another loading screen.

There's also the entirely pointless hit B to skip prompt. Skip loading now, to double load a few seconds later!

If you want decent loot from noobs,
Victoria Memorial might be a good place. Just saw two zombified players that had ammo and health packs.

After adding a bunch of people today, it seemed like
Victoria Garden was the hotspot for people dying for some reason. Problem is, my stash is full, and my XXL is full, so it's never been worth it for me to actually hunt anyone down. I did run into the motherload randomly though in the palace. Someone had like four flares, two grenades and two cocktails. Later on someone was nice enough to drop four crossbow bolts.

Looks like I went a little overkill with my ammo and weapons stockpiling, I had plenty left over when the credits rolled
and after, and I escaped with the panacea.

Final survivor score for the one who made it was just over 11,600, and I'm now ranked 81st. Burned through 15 survivors until I was at a good place within the game with familiarity and skills.

The question now becomes do I go through another round of Normal mode and see how well I do with my general skills/knowledge of the game or jump into survivor and play for keeps? Hmmmm.

Just do Survivor. I spent a few hours dying and deleting my save every time when first learning. After reaching the palace, I pretty much had the game down, but then ended up dying at
the arena event.
So I saved that game and created another account, played all the way up to that point without dying then jumped back on the original game save to practice that part. Jumped again to the newer game and finished it without dying. This was still on normal mode...which was kind of pointless since I just kept deleting my saves if I died anyway. I only ever once went after my own infected survivor. It was like my second death.

So lost trying to find
fuel for the generator. I came across a door in the alley with a code lock, but I only have the first two numbers. Guess I need another upgrade or something, I have no idea.
This was the last game I thought I would get lost in, but that seems to happen to me. I got lost in wind waker once trying to figure out how to unlock a door. Turns out the door was already unlocked and I had been running around aimlessly on an assumption that it wasn't :^/

So lost trying to find
fuel for the generator. I came across a door in the alley with a code lock, but I only have the first two numbers. Guess I need another upgrade or something, I have no idea.
This was the last game I thought I would get lost in, but that seems to happen to me. I got lost in wind waker once trying to figure out how to unlock a door. Turns out the door was already unlocked and I had been running around aimlessly on an assumption that it wasn't :^/

Check
the other side of the container you found the last 2 numbers in.

Should be right there.

Sanctuary

Check
the other side of the container you found the last 2 numbers in.

Should be right there.

And by
"container", I think he means "wall". One of the codes is on the wall, and the other is inside of the gatehouse type thing. The one on the wall is pretty hard to miss, since there's a bunch of arrows leading you to it, so I'm assuming that's the one you have.

Sanctuary

Noob. (Jk)
It's in the crawlspace area that opens up after you get the book that the scientist wanted from the palace. It's around the same area where you grabbed the XL bag, right down the ladder on your way to the revolving structure in the wall. I think the only way to actually miss it is if you went out the exit where the XL bag was that leads to the dining room area instead of going through the rest of the crawlspace.

ksamedi

Man this game is difficult! Lost my survivor after one hour even though I was carefull the whole time. My first slip up was
when I opened a backdoor to the supermarket and an alarm went off.
Oh man that was hectic, but I didn't make it.

Noob. (Jk)
It's in the crawlspace area that opens up after you get the book that the scientist wanted from the palace. It's around the same area where you grabbed the XL bag, right down the ladder on your way to the revolving structure in the wall. I think the only way to actually miss it is if you went out the exit where the XL bag was that leads to the dining room area instead of going through the rest of the crawlspace.

Haha, that's exactly how I missed it. I'm pretty sure I just wanted to exit at that point... was so happy to finally have lived a decent amount of time.

somedevil

This game is tough. Lost alot of survivors in the Palace and it sucks running threw it all to get back to where I died. Though I did kill one random survivor who did have alot of good stuff.

evangd007

I cry a little inside when I loot an infected survivor with tons of flares and explosives. If you have both of those, death shouldn't happen.

Finished it at 17:38.

Great game with some glitches and flaws. Overall one of the most satisfying games I've played this year. I would love to see more games like this (i.e. big-budget titles taking chances in gameplay and pacing mechanics.)

I'll put my full thoughts down in a little bit.

Also, (end game discussion)
What was the twist? Was it that The Prepper was John? (not John Dee, the guy with the apartment.)

Also, (end game discussion)
What was the twist? Was it that The Prepper was John? (not John Dee, the guy with the apartment.)
IMO, there's not a huge twist, since the game was already building up for the Prepper's outburst and you can surmise that the Prepper's personality matches how John was described. It's only a twist for people that didn't pay close attention to what the Prepper says methinks.

IMO, there's not a huge twist, since the game was already building up for the Prepper's outburst and you can surmise that the Prepper's personality matches how John was described. It's only a twist for people that didn't pay close attention to what the Prepper says methinks.

Yeah it didn't strike as surprising, which is why I still think it's out there.

Downhome

Man this game is difficult! Lost my survivor after one hour even though I was carefull the whole time. My first slip up was
when I opened a backdoor to the supermarket and an alarm went off.
Oh man that was hectic, but I didn't make it.

That was my first death as well.

hunnies28

Meh, hit a glitch when I reached the
Tower of London
. My character died so I was on my way back to recover my loot, killed a zombie and pressed X to loot his body and I couldn't get out of that backpack searching animation =/

This happened to me, in the same place
just before you see the shadow of that zombie
but in my case the animation just got stuck for a long time without me beign able to move. Thank god there where no zombies near me at the time.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
You know, I seem to have a REAL bad habit of dying when I'm clearly not supposed to. Like, RIGHT before cutscenes. As a result, I end up respawning at the Safe House and suddenly new mission. I checked GameFAQs and sure enough there was supposed to be more after that but because I died... well... XD

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
SHIT FUCKING CUNT PISS DICK uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh eight hour survivor fucking dead at the tower of London. Sniper rifle, crossbow, bolt loading rifle, shotgun, and AK all fucking gone. Oh my god I'm so fucking livid. Didn't manage to remove the barricade either, even though I saw it, meaning to recover my stuff I need to backtrack through the entire friggen level.

How does weapon recovery work then? Because I had the rifle and shotgun equipped, so I assume they wont be in my zombified backpack. How am I supposed to get those weapons again, or is that it?

antonz

SHIT FUCKING CUNT PISS DICK uuuuuuuuuuuuuuuggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh eight hour survivor fucking dead at the tower of London. Sniper rifle, crossbow, bolt loading rifle, shotgun, and AK all fucking gone. Oh my god I'm so fucking livid. Didn't manage to remove the barricade either, even though I saw it, meaning to recover my stuff I need to backtrack through the entire friggen level.

How does weapon recovery work then? Because I had the rifle and shotgun equipped, so I assume they wont be in my zombified backpack. How am I supposed to get those weapons again, or is that it?

They have seemed to activate the ability to find weapons again via searching on the cctv cameras in the safehouse to see where to go

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They have seemed to activate the ability to find weapons again via searching on the cctv cameras in the safehouse to see where to go

Okay cool. Good. Now to hunt down everything. Again.

And to whoever kills my zombie and scores my loot: fuck you.

lsslave

Jew Gamer

Dude, anything "equipped" you get when you hit it up. Don't worry!

Edit: Also, anyone have any tips for grinding ammo? I'm on the hunt for
antibiotics
and munitions are dwindling, before I continue this quest I'd like some more ammo.

I think a corpse is treated like a single large container that has both your B.O.B items and your hotkey items (besides pistol, light, and bat), so as long as you can get to your previous survivor you should be able to get weapons that were hotkeyed.

EatChildren

Brilliant. Thanks guys. And if I'm correct, whenever a survivor dies it removes the previous survivor's infected corpse from the world? As in, if Survivor 3 dies Survivor 2 and their shit will disappear, replaced with Survivor 3's body?

Sometimes you get lucky and they fall off the side of the tower and end up next to the entrance. Probably worth the back track from the sounds of it though, fortunately pretty much everything should be dead on the way back.

Future reference, only one weapon out at a time. Use the item box!

olimpia84

So after being extremely careful and going unscathed through the damn
nursery
(which is fucking awesome and damn scary) I get killed outside because the stupid prepper
took too long to open the door
. Not looking forward going back there to collect my loot =/

oatmeal

Banned
That was my first death as well.

Heh, mine too :(

-

Welp, I passed the point of no return. I'm glad that they still let me save at the safe house and dump off some final loot after I
removed the eyeball

I'm around 13 hours, this last survivor is about 5 or so hours deep. He's a Maitre-D and looks like an old priest in a trench coat. He's bad ass.

I hope the ending doesn't kill him :(

Jubbly

Am I missing something in the game? Can't work out what the weapon 'levels' do... When I rank up with the pistol, does that improve my aim, my damage? I can't discern that info in-game.

EatChildren

Got my stuff back. As Christberg predicted most of the infected were dead, and the remaining stragglers were usually isolated, allowing me to bottleneck and bat. Only two situations had me shitting myself:

1) While going through that underwater tunnel area the game thought it would be hilarious to randomly spawn one
static, teleporting infected
, a type I had not encountered up until this point. So I was fighting that in a waist high water quasi-maze, all the while
its static charge blanked out my map leaving me blind
. I pretty much sat in a corner, like a bitch, and waited for it to come and get me.

2) My old survivor had turned into one of the red infected, which I believe gives them super speed/strength? Didn't bother risking a hand-to-hand encounter. It hadn't seen me, so I used a grenade to end Survivor 2's brief infected life.

Got back everything. Fucking ace.

EDIT: Survivor 2 was only about ~200 points off making the daily best survivors board too. She was on ~8500 and I believe the lowest is ~8700. Such a shame. Oh well. Survivor 3 will do it.

Am I missing something in the game? Can't work out what the weapon 'levels' do... When I rank up with the pistol, does that improve my aim, my damage? I can't discern that info in-game.

According to the manual you get speed, aim and damage. I didn't notice damage at all but I only reached level 3 max on the pistol. Seemed to be 2 head-shots with the pistol would kill a zombie. Aiming did feel slightly better but that could have just been me adjusting to the controls... has anyone checked the weapon stats before and after leveling?

11redder

I just died in the exact same area and likewise neglected to remove the barricade. On the way back to deal with my former self, I got ambushed by three zombies in a very tight space and died. Goddamnit, all my stuff gone. I knew I was too tired to keep playing. Bollox.

Glad to hear you made it though.

Sanctuary

I actually didn't put it together that The Prepper was "John" that the woman writing the letters was referring to. The voice on those letters also sounded slightly different to me than the voice of Sandra. There are also three different Johns that get mentioned throughout the game, and with the magic mumbo jumo talk, it sometimes felt as if the letters you were reading were of the very distant past and that they had somehow figured out a way to extent their lives by quite a bit.

According to the manual you get speed, aim and damage. I didn't notice damage at all but I only reached level 3 max on the pistol. Seemed to be 2 head-shots with the pistol would kill a zombie. Aiming did feel slightly better but that could have just been me adjusting to the controls... has anyone checked the weapon stats before and after leveling?

It's:
1. Weapon draw speed
2. Weapon aim speed
3. Reload speed
4. kickback reduction

None of them matter one bit aside from the reload speed for the Crossbow. It's so much work (waste of ammo) for almost no tanigble benefits. The only weapons where it kind of matters is the pistol and crossbow.

Also, the firing speed weapon mod upgrade is about the most useless mod that they could have implemented in a game based around scarce ammo.

Edit: Also, anyone have any tips for grinding ammo? I'm on the hunt for
antibiotics
and munitions are dwindling, before I continue this quest I'd like some more ammo.

Not so much grinding as how to conserve the majority of what you acquire through a playthrough:
USE THE CROSSBOW! Like in every single 1 on 1 situation that's not a riot zombie when you don't want to use the god awful bat. In a situation where there are two zombies, just headshot snipe the first if you can before they are aware of your presence. Since the bolts are recoverable as long as you hit your target, it's basically a ranged cricket bat that also kills a bit faster.

Finished the game tonight with just under 17 hours logged. My notes/mini review:

I generally loved the game. It nails a good sense of atmosphere, has solid core mechanics, and has a reasonable difficulty progression. Level design is excellent sans some copy/paste bits. It's clearly a low(ish) budget game with limited development time and it shows though.

At this point I really hope it gets a sequel with a decent budget because the game is pretty damn great to begin with, but given the right amount of TLC it could be something totally off the charts.

My favorite game sections are
the rainy Victoria Memorial section
the Nursery part
and
the outdoor park section leading to the Tower of London

Purely technically speaking, the game is a mixed bag. There are really nice particle and lighting effects in some sections and some really clean textures and modeling here and there. When everything comes together the game can be a real jaw dropper. Then there are rooms that are literally copied and pasted and sections with entirely baked lighting and dirty textures that are ugly as crud.

Plus the environments are far, far too static and in ways that make little sense. There are also clipping and scripting issues. Probably the worst culprit I ran across was
the elevator heading up to Ron Friedman's flat is supposed to have an ambush with about 5 zombies attacking you in a confined space. Instead as the elevator rises they clip through the floor and get stuck in the wall in the next elevator shaft over.
They also made some mistakes with the loading times where they string together a few rooms but the level isn't properly streamed in yet so you load, walk through a copied and pasted section, then load some more.

Wish list for the next game:
More general environmental interactivity. Give me curtains that sway, shopping carts and detritus being blown around by wind, and water that isn't a flat texture.

More TLC given to all the environments. I want Metroid Prime levels of polish on the stages. Every room should be unique.

More variety in zombie animations. I want them grabbing you through doors and chain link fences. Popping out of sewer manholes and grabbing you from above by the hair. I'd love to see these worked into more scripted sequences - there's a TON of untapped potential here.

Add enemy variety. I want zombies more like a Romero movie. Hari Krishna zombies, clown zombies, the works. I also think humans could make for some interesting enemies as well. Maybe do a stage where you have to follow a paramilitary group to retrieve an item or similar. Get too close and you get wasted, and you have to pick them off using the zombies as cover.

Add some variety to the melee. It doesn't have to be a lot, just maybe one or two additional weapons like a combat knife and maybe some kind of spear type weapon.

Ditch the multi player unless you can do something that's both online and fully featured.

For the love of God, KEEP THE CORE MECHANICS INTACT. I don't want drop in/out coop or dudebro shootering in this game. Keep it survival horror. Keep the player feeling isolated and vulnerable. Keep this, because it's what makes the game stick out among its peers.

EatChildren

Purely technically speaking, the game is a mixed bag. There are really nice particle and lighting effects in some sections and some really clean textures and modeling here and there. When everything comes together the game can be a real jaw dropper. Then there are rooms that are literally copied and pasted and sections with entirely baked lighting and dirty textures that are ugly as crud.

Technically I think the game is ugly as fuck. Well, the lightning is nice-to-gorgeous, but almost everything else about the game's technology is poor. Textures are low resolution, the texture filtering is poor, geometry count is low, slow loads, etc.

But aesthetically I think the game looks really good. It's got a lot of atmosphere and nails the dreary English film vibe almost perfectly. The screen is lathered in various filters, most I usually fucking hate, but in the context of ZombiU it makes it look like a stereotypical English film with de-saturated colours and dreary tones. The team has basically done a good job of using their technical/time limitations to make the game look as good as it can, and despite being technically outdated, ends up having a strong identity.

So yeah. If a sequel were to come along, I'd really like to see what the team could do with a fully optimised engine built from the ground up for the Wii U, with the same art direction.

Sanctuary

Technically I think the game is ugly as fuck. Well, the lightning is nice-to-gorgeous, but almost everything else about the game's technology is poor. Textures are low resolution, the texture filtering is poor, geometry count is low, slow loads, etc.

But aesthetically I think the game looks really good. It's got a lot of atmosphere and nails the dreary English film vibe almost perfectly. The screen is lathered in various filters, most I usually fucking hate, but in the context of ZombiU it makes it look like a stereotypical English film with de-saturated colours and dreary tones. The team has basically done a good job of using their technical/time limitations to make the game look as good as it can, and despite being technically outdated, ends up having a strong identity.

So yeah. If a sequel were to come along, I'd really like to see what the team could do with a fully optimised engine built from the ground up for the Wii U, with the same art direction.

Everything in this post is exactly how I felt about the game on my first playthrough as well, except that I still don't understand who the cameraman is supposed to be that seems to be coming from behind. It's not the CCTVs, and I doubt the survivors have cybernetic implants in their eyes. I also don't like the green tint. It alone isn't the problem as much as it just makes the aesthetics of already poor graphics look even worse. I understand why different filters are used in certain games, and I don't mind a "filmy" look, but it doesn't look like film to me as much as a dirty lens. I also find that the game more often than not looks better when you're viewing it through the Prepper pad.

NFreak

Welp, I think I've found one of my game of the year contenders. I doubt it will be able to top Kid Icarus for me but this and Hotline Miami are really close for the 2 and 3 position right now. Just finished the
Tower of London
and I am loving the game. I died in the water maze area leading up to the
"Ravens nerve center" or something
because of one of those red powerful zombies that spawned in my game and when I went back I killed my old corpse but before looting it the
exploding zombie
appeared and I shot it stupidly and killed myself :/. Had to go search for all my weapons and stuff again in the other areas...... but that's what I freakin love about this game. One minute you have a survivor who has been alive for a long time and the next minute you are dying twice in the same spot.

Just started this. Loving it so far. Had a slight issue after the
supermarket
with the
safehouse horde fight
where I lost 3 survivors in quick succession. Luckily it's early days so I lost some juice, planks and all my ammo. Not much really. Do the weapon upgrades persist forever? As I still have them to spend it would appear. Great atmosphere so far.

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Died with crossbow.

Died before retrieving crossbow.

Should I assume I won't be getting it back?

Also - I died while trying to reach
the roof of the Tower of London
... and I get the impression this changes the rest/end of the game. What did I miss, or will I miss?

dk_

Just getting to Buckingham Palace. The game is great and terrifying.

Yeah, my favorite part until now. It's getting really tough I must say.

Exactly my thoughts, thanks for summing them up. ^^

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
XXX infected has appeared in the Safe House.

I know what part you're all dying at, and you're all shit.

hahaha, I know mistle was doing it and I was at the same time. so it was rather amusing to see it keep popping up lol

Damn! Just played my first three hours. Just to make sure: Everyone who digs games like Dark Souls or Resident Evil 1 will have a LOT of fun with this game. It's interesting that it's such a polarizing game. If 'horror' games like Resident Evil 5, 6 turn you off, ZombiU is probably for you.

Very cool stuff so far.

Top Bottom