• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zone of the Enders: Enders Project announced (ZoE sequel concept, OP fully updated)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hideo Kojima Explains Role on ZOE Sequel

Friday's announcement of Enders Project, the sequel to Z.O.E and Anubis, was made by Hideo Kojima, but Kojima's role on the game appears to be limited. Writing via Twitter over the weekend, Kojima said that because he's busy on his "Ogre Project," he'll be a producer on Enders Project. He's serving only a support role, dealing with such areas as the game's direction and beginning planning. The actual game design, script, event direction, level design and direction are being handled by his staff.

While Kojima said that he's producer, Ryosuke Toriyama was also introduced as a producer during Friday's announcement stage event.

Kojima also attempted to explain what some have observed as possible changes from past Z.O.E series games. With Enders Project, they don't plan on changing the feel of the game, explained Kojima. Regarding world view and expression, however, there are two directions. One is the direction of the previous Z.O.E. games, "Japanimation SF Robot" style. The other direction is real world live action like in X-Men, Batman and Spiderman.

While they're not necessarily aiming for photo realism, this is what is optimal for the internally-developed Fox Engine, and the times require a "global, high-end Z.O.E. style." If they were to make a Japanimation-style sequel, the sense, content, game feel and budget would end up being domestic-oriented.

Z.O.E. purists may not need to worry about too drastic a change, though. Kojima added that few members of his staff have that "SF spirit," so whatever they make will probably pull from robot anime.

Friday's announcement of Enders Project, the sequel to Z.O.E and Anubis, was made by Hideo Kojima, but Kojima's role on the game appears to be limited. Writing via Twitter over the weekend, Kojima said that because he's busy on his "Ogre Project," he'll be a producer on Enders Project. He's serving only a support role, dealing with such areas as the game's direction and beginning planning. The actual game design, script, event direction, level design and direction are being handled by his staff.

While Kojima said that he's producer, Ryosuke Toriyama was also introduced as a producer during Friday's announcement stage event.

Kojima also attempted to explain what some have observed as possible changes from past Z.O.E series games. With Enders Project, they don't plan on changing the feel of the game, explained Kojima. Regarding world view and expression, however, there are two directions. One is the direction of the previous Z.O.E. games, "Japanimation SF Robot" style. The other direction is real world live action like in X-Men, Batman and Spiderman.

While they're not necessarily aiming for photo realism, this is what is optimal for the internally-developed Fox Engine, and the times require a "global, high-end Z.O.E. style." If they were to make a Japanimation-style sequel, the sense, content, game feel and budget would end up being domestic-oriented.

Z.O.E. purists may not need to worry about too drastic a change, though. Kojima added that few members of his staff have that "SF spirit," so whatever they make will probably pull from robot anime.
So they are going to try to appeal to the west. Oh dear.

Yeah I certainly will give them the benefit of the doubt, but I liked the style of the old games and that statement sounds familiar in a bad way.
At least appealing to the west won't result in an abomination like the below. :|
jbhq7Hc9joMYxH.jpg

spuit*11

Banned

133509195857nzjnb.gif

Please dear god, don't change too much. That whole clean cut, high tech look and feel was part of what made these games so awesome and unique. At least in a western market.

Please dear god, don't change too much. That whole clean cut, high tech look and feel was part of what made these games so awesome and unique. At least in a western market.

I know. And that cell shaded smoke that you could fly though and it would leave trails around jehuty blew my mind back when I played it.

Hmmm. I do get what he is saying that if they were to make the new game very Japanese mech anime style it might hinder its domestic appeal. But on the other hand, its fucking ZOE, it has been established that way. And the fans who are most looking forward to a new game I think want it to have that same look and flavor. I hope they stick with it and not get too caught up on trying to make everything hyper real with the fox engine.

RedSwirl

So they are going to try to appeal to the west. Oh dear.

They may have to in order to legitimize the budget for a full HD console ZOE. They gave a pretty good explanation in that article. There's a good chance that a new game deliberately like the older anime style could end up being a Japan-centric 3DS game or something.

Verelios

May god help me.

I'm still going to take what I can get though! Z.O.E the third run!!

Dango? Dangooooooooooo!!! I just hope they can emulate the opening of Z.O.E 2. That was probably one of the loveliest moments in the series for me.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't understand the need to change the direction. Gaming isn't hurting for dark ages-style fantasy settings. It is hurting for far-flung future sci-fi settings.

Japan's penchant for futuristic technical designs with a downright masturbatory amount of detail and density used to be a real thing of beauty. It's a damn shame to see their unique fetishization of sci-fi falling by the wayside.

May god help me.

I'm still going to take what I can get though! Z.O.E the third run!!

Dango? Dangooooooooooo!!! I just hope they can emulate the opening of Z.O.E 2. That was probably one of the loveliest moments in the series for me.

Was Dingo in my memories. And yeah, ZOE2 had the longest opening ever. It felt like a quarter of the game lenght. Maybe only beaten in length (and boringness) by KH2's opening (wich ultimately lead to one of the best twist of the saga)

evangd007

Whoa, ZOE sequel is a real thing now instead of an idle wish like Mother 4? Color me heavily surprised.

They may have to in order to legitimize the budget for a full HD console ZOE. They gave a pretty good explanation in that article. There's a good chance that a new game deliberately like the older anime style could end up being a Japan-centric 3DS game or something.

I'd be surprised if Kojima had trouble getting something approved. Konami seems to let him do his thing without meddling, lest he threatens to never make another MGS again.

StuBurns

Banned
I'd be surprised if Kojima had trouble getting something approved. Konami seems to let him do his thing without meddling, lest he threatens to never make another MGS again.
What's that based on? They haven't done anything that would really suggest that to be the case.

Since ZOE, they've only had the Boktai games and their recent stock trading thing. They've not made a single 'AAA' game that wasn't in the Metal Gear IP ever.

raven777

I really hope they stick with "Japanimation SF Robot" style.

And hopefully the staff who made Anubis works on this. Hopefully Shuyo Murata works on it again (he is still in Koji Pro, right?)

Jarmel

Banned
So next-gen? I'm fine with that. Better visuals.

Also no point really being hyped for this as it's probably half a decade down the line before we actually see something.

Cartman86

Banned
Not worried too much about Kojima's involvement considering he was never anything more than producer and possibly co-designer on the first one.

WTF at the new Jehuty, totally not what I would expect or want in a sequel.
I want Zone of the Enders 3, not Zone of the Demon Beast.

This is really disappointing as usual, Japan.

Welp, back to Monster World IV.

Jarmel

Banned
How long did MGS4 take? 4-5 years?

The fact that this isn't even in pre-production phase means we're looking at a bare minimum of three years down the pipe and that's assuming no complications. They knew they were going to work on a MGS4 and that took forever. I can't imagine seeing this before Fall 2014 at the earliest.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I hope the next game on the series (if there is one? Is it confirmed?) is not going to suffer a Front Mission treatment. Goddamnit Front Mission was an atrocity that I am to this day still bitter about :/

-Winnie-

The fact that this isn't even in pre-production phase means we're looking at a bare minimum of three years down the pipe and that's assuming no complications. They knew they were going to work on a MGS4 and that took forever. I can't imagine seeing this before Fall 2014 at the earliest.

The whole idea of the Fox Engine is to reduce development time after MGS4 took forever and a half. So I think a 2 year or less dev cycle is entirely possible.

Artwork, concept, and designs are all fantastic. I want this game to be made. I just hope they focus on making the gameplay interesting if the project goes into development. Zone of the Enders 1 and 2 were very stylish games with a lot of eye candy, but the gameplay in both games was very repetitive, and as a result they ended up becoming very boring. This new game needs to be challenging but fair. It would be great if it had gameplay similar to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. Imagine aerial combat like that! It could be really cool if done well.

∀ Narayan;38263143 said:
Artwork, concept, and designs are all fantastic. I want this game to be made. I just hope they focus on making the gameplay interesting if the project goes into development. Zone of the Enders 1 and 2 were very stylish games with a lot of eye candy, but the gameplay in both games was very repetitive, and as a result they ended up becoming very boring. This new game needs to be challenging but fair. It would be great if it had gameplay similar to Bayonetta or Devil May Cry. Imagine aerial combat like that! It could be really cool if done well.
I'm not really a fan of Kamiya's style of action, so I hope they don't go in that direction. Not that there is anything wrong with that style.
The last time kojima left things to his staff didnt work so well... Is this the ex rising team making it?
There is no team. This is merely conceptual at the moment.

Jarmel

Banned
The whole idea of the Fox Engine is to reduce development time after MGS4 took forever and a half. So I think a 2 year or less dev cycle is entirely possible.

Again they're not even in preproduction. You're insane if you think it's coming out in anything less than a solid three years. I also strongly doubt they're going to use the Fox Engine in the end as we're looking at 2015 at which point we're going to be on the next-gen of consoles.

-Winnie-

Again they're not even in preproduction. You're insane if you think it's coming out in anything less than a solid three years. I also strongly doubt they're going to use the Fox Engine in the end as we're looking at 2015 at which point we're going to be on the next-gen of consoles.

Oh, I'm not saying we're going to see the game within 3 years. I'm saying once they get started, it shouldn't take nearly as long as they've taken in the past. I figure the Fox Engine was made to scale into the next gen, it'd be idiotic to make a brand new engine this late into the console cycle and not have it able carry over.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh, I'm not saying we're going to see the game within 3 years. I'm saying once they get started, it shouldn't take nearly as long as they've taken in the past. I figure the Fox Engine was made to scale into the next gen, it'd be idiotic to make a brand new engine this late into the console cycle and not have it able carry over.

Hopefully it should scale but it depends on what they want out of the engine. That said, there really is not much point speculating about this as it might not ever come out nor do they have some sort of plan. Rising was pretty much a concept, more fleshed out too, and that got almost cancelled.

StuBurns

Banned
Next-gen is a great time for a new ZOE, they're not the kind of games that have the weight of content and production you'd expect from a 'AAA' release past the first year of a new system cycle. It's perfect launchware really.

hteng

Banned
this will be like Dunbine or Escaflowne, where the setting is more magical/fantasy than tech.

judging from the designs, the "mech" looks organic, so im incline to believe it'll be similar to dunbine. Also, is this a new setting/universe?

Hopefully the HD version isn't a mess, 'cuz I've never played this series. Just seen an animation video with a character that reminded me of Elly from Xenogears.

injurai

Banned

Well I guess I'll have to add it the list of games I want right now that I won't be getting to play until I graduate. Damnit I have to earn a degree to play certain games now >.<

Apath

I couldn't care less what they do to the series, as long as the core game play remains the same. For me, the game was never about the characters or setting. It was always about playing the best DBZ game ever made with giant robots blowing the shit out of anything and everything around them.

Salaadin

I couldn't care less what they do to the series, as long as the core game play remains the same. For me, the game was never about the characters or setting. It was always about playing the best DBZ game ever made with giant robots blowing the shit out of anything and everything around them.
Im with you. High Speed Robot Action....anywhere, any time. It doesnt matter to me.

sky

New ZOE would be great, but ehh... not feeling that design.
Wondering why they didn`t just zbrush it, rather than build a physical model and then scanning it.

injurai

Banned
New ZOE would be great, but ehh... not feeling that design.
Wondering why they didn`t just zbrush it, rather than build a physical model and then scanning it.

Preference of design, even artists have their preferred methods of craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom