• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zune software 2.5 is out, videos, auto playlists, and a crapload more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone posted this in the Zune thread, but an update as big as this should get it's own thread. I own a Zune, and was starting to get bored with it, and with this new update it has brought a breath of fresh air. Plus some more competition for iTunes.

http://zunethoughts.com/news/show/88947/zune-2-5-spring-update-the-official-press-release.html

Starting today, consumers can choose from more than 800 episodes of popular television series to download and watch on their computer or their Zune, including COMEDY CENTRAL’s “South Park,” FUNimation’s “Afro Samurai” and “Witchblade,” MTV’s “The Hills,” NBC’s “The Office,” “Heroes” and “30 Rock,” Nickelodeon’s “SpongeBob SquarePants,” SCI FI Channel’s “Battlestar Galactica” and “Eureka,” Starz’s “Ghost in the Shell” and “Street Fighter,” Turner Broadcasting’s “Metalocalypse” and “Robot Chicken,” UFC’s “The Ultimate Fighter®” and “Fight Night™,” and VH1’s “Rock of Love” with Bret Michaels. Each television show will be priced at 160 Microsoft Points per episode (approximately $1.99) at launch. With more than 3.5 million tracks, two-thirds of which are available in pure MP3 format, 800 television shows, 4,800 music videos and 3,500 audio and video podcasts, the Zune online store is a great place for consumers to find the entertainment content they want.

• Syncing Zune Cards to a device. Consumers simply drag and drop Zune Cards from friends to a Zune device and get updates on what friends are listening to every time they sync. If the song is available with Zune Pass, subscribers automatically have the full tracks on their Zune while nonsubscribers have full album information and artwork. If consumers hear something they like, they can add it to their collection with one click. Next time the user syncs his or her Zune, he or she will be asked to confirm the purchase.

• Enhanced friends search. Consumers now have the ability to add their name, location and bio to their Zune music community profile, making it easier than ever to find their friends.

• Instant friends. The true power of the Zune online music community is unlocked when friends are added and consumers can follow the music they’re listening to. Now, when new Zune owners join the Zune online music community, they’ll find the top music editors from the Zune Marketplace team already added to their friends list, giving them a head start in finding new music.

• Artist and album reviews. Inside the Zune music community, members have the ability to write and post their own reviews for artists and albums, providing another community-driven feature to support the exploration and discovery of music. The music community helps to find and recommend the best music.

• Reputation badges. Now members of the Zune community can earn badges that are displayed on their Zune Card showing they’re passionate fans or active members.

• Windows Live connections. Windows Live Messenger contacts will now be able to see what users are listening to via the Zune software. Clicking on the tracks displayed in the “Now Playing” feature will connect the Windows Live Messenger friend directly to that artist’s page on the Zune Social.
A More Integrated Way to Manage and Enjoy Entertainment
Responding directly to customer feedback, Zune has updated and added features and functionality to address better integration between the software, the online music community and the store. In addition, the updates include frequently requested features such as the ability to sync multiple Zune players at once. Specific feature updates include the following:

• Auto playlists. Users can create an auto playlist that updates itself automatically as new music is added.

• Browsing videos. Consumers can browse their video collection by genre and series, plus they can preview videos before they play them on full screen.

• Editing album and track information. Users are able to edit track or album information (metadata) quickly via multi-select and drag-and-drop. The advanced metadata editing features make it easy to edit multiple tracks or survey albums and artist information.

• Organizing collections. In addition to sorting by artist or album, consumers can now sort by genre. While browsing by genre they can further sort music by artist, album or release year.

• Gapless playback. Consumers will now be able to listen to an album without the brief gap between tracks, both on their Zune and in the Zune software. This is a must-have for live-concert recordings and compilation albums.

• Syncing groups. Zune software now syncs to multiple Zune players simultaneously. Users can prepare which content on their computer to sync even when their Zune isn’t connected. Consumers can create custom sync groups for music, pictures and videos.

• Zune reminders. Experience is improved when a Zune player’s memory is nearing capacity, via an easy-to-use tool.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
All sounds cool, useless for me though (outside the US) bar gapless playback and tag editing.

Nice to see Zune working out it's own little niche on the software side of things though, makes it more likely to see a European release.

hadareud

The Translator
when will the story finally be available in Europe?

Not that it's absolutely crucial, but I'd like to be able to use all the features.

So the gapless thing is a hardware thing as well, not just in the software?

It just downloaded the update, I have to restart to use it. Stupid restarts...

*edit* nevermind, just installed the device update. Will try this "gapless playback".

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
TheGreatDave said:
So the gapless thing is a hardware thing as well, not just in the software?

It just downloaded the update, I have to restart to use it. Stupid restarts...
odd - didn't have to restart on my vista box, but i also had the Zune app closed when i installed it.

the UI tweaks in the software are subtle and much appreciated. autoplaylists are good, the ID3 tag editor is full featured (although i still prefer the one-stop shop of mp3tag using the zune marketplace metadata) and the new sync groups make it easier to manage content on the device.

this is a win all the way.

After trying to sign in with my US passport account I'm now unable to do so, apparently. I tried to sign in, it said I need to accept the new terms of service. Did so, now it says "can't perform the requested action because it's not on the website". I assume it's an IP thing :mad:

Doesn't really matter anyway, I've never actually used that "social" thing, on account of it never fucking working.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
hadareud said:
when will the story finally be available in Europe?

Not that it's absolutely crucial, but I'd like to be able to use all the features.

MS France said the 3rd Gen Zune would launch in Europe, so presumably next year. *crosses fingers*

HoTHiTTeR

ugh. Can we please get an easier way to play single songs repeatedly? Having to clear quick list, enable repeat, find the song, quicklist it, back all the way out, then play the quicklist is very annoying.

HoTHiTTeR said:
ugh. Can we please get an easier way to play single songs repeatedly? Having to clear quick list, enable repeat, find the song, quicklist it, back all the way out, then play the quicklist is very annoying.

Can't you just...tap rewind on your Zune while it's in your pocket?

Just tried the gapless playback with The Wall. It's much improved, but you can still tell when it's changing tracks. I think that's probably down to the original encodes of the songs rather than Zune being at fault though.

It's now also syncing some video podcasts that it never synced before, which is a nice fix.

So good to have ID tagging in, and FIND ALBUM INFO OMG YES.

I've just managed to get the few tracks in my library that didn't have years associated with them tagged, due to Find Album Info.

Thank God it's back. It's a megaton for me.

TheGreatDave said:
I've just managed to get the few tracks in my library that didn't have years associated with them tagged, due to Find Album Info.

Thank God it's back. It's a megaton for me.

I hear ya dude, it's so easy to edit tags now and get all the right info. This update makes me fall back in love with my Zune.

Social thing is working for me now. By that I mean it lets me sign in. I still imagine it won't track songs, but maybe because it's integrated in the program it'll work this time.

Does everybody get "Kid Hops" added as a friend?

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I wish I wasn't so entrenched in iPodworld (iPod Touch, iTunes, Apple TV), I would give Zune a try.

Ghost said:
All sounds cool, useless for me though (outside the US) bar gapless playback and tag editing.

Nice to see Zune working out it's own little niche on the software side of things though, makes it more likely to see a European release.

Some much welcome updates. I've finally got sick of waiting for the EU support and used my fake USA gamertag for an account: http://social.zune.net/member/JonExUSA

witness

Wow, LOVE the update. It found a whole bunch of correct album art and info for me automatically and updated that art on my zune as well. Before I would have to delete it off the device and add it back if it couldn't find the album art when I first added the tracks. Freakin sweet, if MS keeps improving the zune and the software at this rate then damn, can't wait to see whats next. Bravo MS.

Now I'm going to have to buy some Heroes S2 episodes....

The social stuff has never actually worked for me. I can create an account, but it never updates with what I've played.

By the way, if you're in the UK you need to change you location in Windows to the US, or the marketplace is hidden.

AH! Marketplace is missing! That's where it's gone. That might be why, despite my US gamertag, it's not updating the social...?

But I love the tag editing... gone through my TV shows and stuff, tis good.

Joe

anyone else having trouble updating? i'm stuck on "checking for updates". i've tried updating from within the software and even downloading 2.5 from zune.net but i get the same thing for both.

Apparently Zune > my computer. After having my Zune for about two months, the software would crash every time I tried to start it up. I decided to uninstall and reinstall it, only to realize I had lost the cd.

Is it possible to get a replacement software disc from Microsoft?

ice cream

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
The social stuff has never actually worked for me. I can create an account, but it never updates with what I've played.

By the way, if you're in the UK you need to change you location in Windows to the US, or the marketplace is hidden.
I'm in UK and I can see it fine..

Green Shinobi said:
Apparently Zune > my computer. After having my Zune for about two months, the software would crash every time I tried to start it up. I decided to uninstall and reinstall it, only to realize I had lost the cd.

Is it possible to get a replacement software disc from Microsoft?

You can download it off zune.net

JonathanEx said:
Surely you can download the software from Zune.net, no need for a disc?
That would be awesome. I'm going to try this out.

Btw, has anyone else gotten that glitch where certain albums will have every song repeated like 50 times? There are about ten albums on my Zune that have this problem. Makes playing them a bitch, especially while driving.

phinious

Anybody have both a Zune and an iPod? I want to buy one or the other and I have no idea what the difference is besides the price.

Are the basically the same?

ice cream

Banned
TheGreatDave said:

oh crap you're right actually, how do I change to US? marketplace was working before this stupid update

ice cream said:
oh crap you're right actually, how do I change to US? marketplace was working before this stupid update

Go to region settings in control panel, there is a location tab. Didn't even take a restart for me.

ice cream

Banned
TheGreatDave said:
Go to region settings in control panel, there is a location tab. Didn't even take a restart for me.
Thanks.
but damn stupid thing crashed when i was updatin my zune so i unplugged it and plugged it back and now it thinks my zune was linked to another PC before so now I can't edit any songs that were on my Zune and you know those little bars that say how much GB is used for music, video etc,, now it's just one big block.
Not that big of a deal but quite annoying.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
FUCKING GASM!

What a birthday gift!

The lack of gapless playback and auto-playlists was what prevented this device from being tip top...now it's fucking pwn sauce.

Cdammen

Er... I have 2.3 and it says that my Zune software is up to date. Wut? I also tried downloading the EXE but it's also 2.3. Where's my 2.5 at? :(

(EDIT)
Joe said:
anyone else having trouble updating? i'm stuck on "checking for updates". i've tried updating from within the software and even downloading 2.5 from zune.net but i get the same thing for both.
Yes! Help us!

RubxQub said:
FUCKING GASM!

What a birthday gift!
Congratz!

In the Zune program, go to Settings, Software, General, Check for Updates.

Opus Angelorum said:
Nice update, but we really need the Marketplace in Europe.
We really need the Zune in Europe.

And god damn it Social, please work. This could be awesome if it worked.

I'm impressed!

Aside form the basic necessities they added and fixed, a few things off the bat I like:

-related artists/you might like type of thing
-seeing who else is listening to an artist
-seeing how you rank as a listener! It's like achievements for music! I checked my zune page and it told me I had the most plays for a certain album, and like bronze, silver etc. awards for albums or artists I've listened to a lot. Pretty cool!

Baker

Banned
Things I don't like, since I haven't got to actually use it yet.

1. It seems to be telling me the Zune Software is resyncing my entire music library. It's making me very paranoid.

2. The sync screen no longer tells you what files are actually syncing. You have to randomly traverse your library and find these stupid pink icons.

Is the gapless playback automatic? I went through the settings menu and didn't notice a single new option.

Doytch

Baker said:
Is the gapless playback automatic? I went through the settings menu and didn't notice a single new option.

Yeah. The program updated, then it updated my Zune, and then it worked. Not perfect, but close enough.

I'm now allowed to sign in with my passport, even though I live in Canada. I assume it's because of the impending June launch. Crappy thing is, the marketplace tab is removed. So I can't even use their podcast feature, I'm still stuck with rss feeds.

Baker

Banned
3. None of the egm podcasts will download. The status bar gets to 100%, then it just throws up that yellow exclamation point. It's been happening for the past two days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom