• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2K Games Will Reveal Next Iteration Of "Beloved Franchise" at Summer Games Fest

StueyDuck

I hope it's Mafia 4, and I'm quite sad about how badly Mafia 3 is seen, although it's deserved, but that sucks.

Mafia 3 could have been an AMAZING game, it was really close to be something truly great. The story, the characters, the atmosphere, the core gameplay, all of that is really great in Mafia 3. It's however completely RUINED by all these terrible, terrible filler quests that are mandatory to progress through the main quest. The game becomes extremely tedious and repetitive because of that, hurting what could have been something really good.

I swear they should make a new edition of Mafia 3 that's like the opposite of a director / extended cut. Like, Mafia 3 "Essential Cut". Remove all the filler side missions / gauges to fill, just limit it to the core story and get rid of all that ubisoft style world content. And boom, you have something 10 times better, while just having to remove stuff.

The game will be shorter yes, but I'd take a great 12 hours Mafia 3 rather than a 30 hours boring Mafia 3.

I still think about it every now and then because I truly enjoyed its characters, lore, world.
100% this too... we need more mafia, not too long ago did a replay of the whole trilogy. Such great stuff all around, gaming really doesn't have much gangster games anymore besides some pc strategy and crpgs

Larxia

100% this too... we need more mafia, not too long ago did a replay of the whole trilogy. Such great stuff all around, gaming really doesn't have much gangster games anymore besides some pc strategy and crpgs
Yes, there's also something I always enjoyed in Mafia games (except 3 obviously), is that the open world are just a background for the story to take place. It's an environment, it's there as a scenery for you to play the mission, but the games remain linear games, without the usual boring open world design. But, if you WANT, you can freely explore the world, to just drive around and enjoy the atmosphere. It's 100% optional and it's just for your own enjoyment.

I really liked this design. I know a lot of people hate this because they don't understand the idea of having an open world "without anything to do", so they will claim it's a useless open world, but as far as I'm concerned I really like this proposition. You have a linear game taking place in an cohesive all connected world, and since this world exist, they let you free roam if you want, but you're not forced to.

I think it's sad that games aren't allowed to have an open environment without them having to be filled with quests every 30 seconds.
(I do wish however that Mafia 1 did let you free roam more inbetween missions without having to go in a seperate mode, would have made it more natural)

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's Borderlands realistically, Randy pretty much said so but that it wasn't the right time to reveal it.

Yeah, depending on how much is done, they might even try to release it in Fall to be as close to the movie as possible.

Holammer

It says "beloved", so it can only be Duke.
Imagine a game where you play an unapologetic 90's male chauvinist just like we had in the build games. Time to save our chicks and drop some sick one-liners.
... yeah, that's not happening, but it'd be fun!

dorkimoe

Gold Member
3 is like the top one lol what did not like about it
I was expecting some actually changes to the game. similar to how gears changed. Borderlands 3 was the exact same thing as 2 with not one noticeable difference except the story. That’s lame to me

rkofan87

Gold Member
I was expecting some actually changes to the game. similar to how gears changed. Borderlands 3 was the exact same thing as 2 with not one noticeable difference except the story. That’s lame to me
oh lol i thought you meant bioshock not borderslands me as well just played a small bit of 1 but seeing all the gameplay of other 2 its like same game over and over.

yansolo

isnt fifa under 2k now? if its fifa it will blow the house down, first fifa without the ea sports badge is huge

rm082e

I can’t believe some people appreciate the Borderland IP tbh. Probably some US Americans who did not make long studies I guess.

Yep. I am a US American who did not make the long studies, and I like the Borderlands.

I play them with the sound off while listening to podcasts. They're like digital bubble wrap: a good stress reliever.

TheKratos

Better be Borderlands 4, unless it's trash like BL3. The characters in bl3 were horrendous, give me Brick or Gunzerker!

Jakk

Rockstar is under the 2k banner so could it be Body Harvest 2 or Manhunt 3: Still Slicing

*Most likely Bioshock
What? The only way 2K and Rockstar are affiliated is that they are both subsidiaries of Take Two. Also, almost whole Rockstar is working on GTA VI right now. There is pretty much no chance Rockstar will announce any new major projects until after VI is out.

Bry0

Excited for a mafia. 3 had a really weak structure despite having a great setup, I really liked the remake though!

DaGwaphics

Yeah, depending on how much is done, they might even try to release it in Fall to be as close to the movie as possible.

Didn't know there was a Borderlands movie happening, that's probably what they will announce.

Personally, I'd be more excited about a new Mafia.

Doom85

I don't know if I'm alone in this but the absolute last thing I'd want out of a new BioShock would be to go back to Rapture

Pirates Of The Caribbean Agree GIF

I’m more excited for Judas anyway since Levine is working on it, but if Bioshock 4 does happen, it should follow Levine’s plan of each entry being a different location (since to my understanding he wasn’t involved much with 2).

Like yes, Rapture was awesome. But it was awesome for one game, return visits will give diminishing returns.

Pagusas

Elden Member
I hope for Cvi 7, given we know its in development and expectations were for a late fall 2024 launch. Civ 6 came out sooooo long ago.

Top Bottom