• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

What a shit show, but
Mazel Tov Dick Wolf GIF by Wolf Entertainment

Fabieter

Probably first thing Monday morning, likely they'll retract this mandatory requirement too.

On a serious note its probably gonna be like with horizon forbidden west upgrade path. That shitstorm made them say "okay we reverse it this time, but any future cross gen game will cost money to upgrade to the ps5 Version.

Fabieter

Sony will row back on the requirement, and everyone who has defended their greed in the past few days will praise them for 'making the right decision' despite the fact they didn't think it was the right decision until Sony told them it was.

Never read anything like that with any fanbase or any shitstorm. But you can bookmark people and show me the next few days.

near

Gold Member
Sony will row back on the requirement, and everyone who has defended their greed in the past few days will praise them for 'making the right decision' despite the fact they didn't think it was the right decision until Sony told them it was.
I don't think Sony will backpedal on the PSN requirement, because it's being implemented to serve their long term interests. Since they've also now restricted its regional availability on Steam, those a decision like that would actually benefit won't even see it. They're going to have to double down on the PSN mandate to save face, I kind of doubt they'll admit that implementing it was wrong. The most we'll probably hear is an apology for the oversight to distribute it to regions where the PSN service was not available. It would be ideal however, if they scrapped the idea altogether, but that's too much of a pro-consumer move for them.

Fabieter

I don't think Sony will backpedal on the PSN requirement, because it's being implemented to serve their long term interests. Since they've also now restricted its regional availability on Steam, those a decision like that would actually benefit won't even see it. They're going to have to double down on the PSN mandate to save face, I kind of doubt they'll admit that implementing it was wrong. The most we'll probably hear is an apology for the oversight to distribute it to regions where the PSN service was not available. It would be ideal however, if they scrapped the idea altogether, but that's too much of a pro-consumer move for them.

No its similar to their fuck up communication with the horizon upgrade and they reveresed that, and said any future thing won't be free.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Never read anything like that with any fanbase or any shitstorm. But you can bookmark people and show me the next few days.
We literally have console warriors in this very thread trying to minimize and dismiss this as being an issue. If you can’t see that, its on you.

near

Gold Member
No its similar to their fuck up communication with the horizon upgrade and they reveresed that, and said any future thing won't be free.
It's entirely possible that they will scrap it, or at least make it optional. But it will not remedy the situation, because those actually affected by it will no longer have the benefit of enjoying it, if they've already refunded the game, or have yet to purchase it from those blocked regions.

Holammer

Btw, something absolutely related to this mess.
Ghosts of Tsushima for PC is coming in two weeks and it too requires a PSN account to play. If you live in one of the restricted countries, buy it now! Last chance before the machine figures out it's about to step on another potential landmine.

QMKNY0h.jpeg

kapshin

Sony be Helldiving the weekend!

Who thought this was a good idea? If they were going to do this it needed to be at launch and not release in countries and without PSN. Or you know Just leave it how it was...

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Sony be Helldiving the weekend!

Who thought this was a good idea? If they were going to do this it needed to be at launch and not release in countries and without PSN. Or you know Just leave it how it was...

Sony has gone full mental Retard ever since they moved HQ to California. Been a steady downward trend ever since with a few moments of nosediving into the shit pile like here.

Fabieter

We literally have console warriors in this very thread trying to minimize and dismiss this as being an issue. If you can’t see that, its on you.

His post wasn't about console warriors downplay anything. Well not entirely at least.

It's entirely possible that they will scrap it, or at least make it optional. But it will not remedy the situation, because those actually affected by it will no longer have the benefit of enjoying it, if they've already refunded the game, or have yet to purchase it from those blocked regions.

The damage is done but it will help not escalate any further. If they drop the requirement completely its gonna be possible to sell those games in all regions again. Maybe give a bit premium currency or make the next warbound free to ease the way a bit. It will take a while, but good updates and no further fuck ups will make up for it. Look what the no man sky managed ro do over the years.

The only important thing is learn from this and better prepare the next time.

Mr Moose

His post wasn't about console warriors downplay anything. Well not entirely at least.

The damage is done but it will help not escalate any further. If they drop the requirement completely its gonna be possible to sell those games in all regions again. Maybe give a bit premium currency or make the next warbound free to ease the way a bit. It will take a while, but good updates and no further fuck ups will make up for it. Look what the no man sky managed ro do over the years.

The only important thing is learn from this and better prepare the next time.
Sony on Monday

geary

Wonder who from Sony is responsible of PSN...

Also, karma is an UNHEARD of a bitch....
Something something stones...something something glass house

Last edited:

Fabieter

Which of these one mandated another login months after launch, with said login having zero benefit to the consumer upon implementation?

Warframe?

And on another note but the same logic the vanguard drm/anti cheat on league of legends is logging me out of 10 years of playtime :p. And addicts don't care about my feelings :`(. Hypocrits.

Too bad league of legends isn't on steam and I can't get all the money of those skins back with my 3000 hours playtime on league because riot surely won't do anything about that.

Last edited:

Holammer

Wonder who from Sony is responsible of PSN...

Also, karma is an UNHEARD of a bitch....
Something something stones...something something glass house

You should give some context with that, I'm sure a lot of people don't even know what Tarkov is.
TLDR: Tarkov, a niche FPS game on PC charged $250 for a PVE mode and suffered a fair bit of backlash, but nothing compared with what Arrowhead suffers now.

Mortisfacio

Sony finally got their viral GAAS moment, just not the kind they were after 💀

Truly hilarious. First successful PC launch of a Sony title and they manage to screw it up.

The crap part about this is they sold the game to countries you can't create a PSN in. My ideal outcome of this is we stop seeing 3rd party auth to play a game (this goes for any game where you need a different account than the service/platform you bought the game on). That will never happen, but these companies wanting your data then consistently getting hacked and losing your data is so annoying.

Mortisfacio

Popularity has been driving downhill fast anyway, this drama won't help but the course has been obvious for a while:

QIObcKo.png

FLFF76G.png

The main thing I notice about these charts is this is the first week where the weekend actually saw a player dip from the weekdays. Sat/Sun currently lower than mid week. First time that's happened.

Fabieter

Truly hilarious. First successful PC launch of a Sony title and they manage to screw it up.

The crap part about this is they sold the game to countries you can't create a PSN in. My ideal outcome of this is we stop seeing 3rd party auth to play a game (this goes for any game where you need a different account than the service/platform you bought the game on). That will never happen, but these companies wanting your data then consistently getting hacked and losing your data is so annoying.

No company is safe of getting hacked tho. Most companies even sell those data intentionally, including most companies you probably trust. Well the digital future is fucked up tho.

Mortisfacio

No company is safe of getting hacked tho. Most companies even sell those data intentionally, including most companies you probably trust. Well the digital future is fucked up tho.

That's exactly my point, though. Why force 3rd party auth? It's just an additional place to get your data leaked from with no upside. Helldivers being the epitome of this. PSN link has no benefit, but an additional outlet to take and then lose your data.

dotnotbot

The main thing I notice about these charts is this is the first week where the weekend actually saw a player dip from the weekdays. Sat/Sun currently lower than mid week. First time that's happened.

Yeah but also note that the amount of players during the working days of last week didn't drop significantly like it did in the previous weeks. So the smaller weekend peak is understandable.

That's exactly my point, though. Why force 3rd party auth? It's just an additional place to get your data leaked from with no upside. Helldivers being the epitome of this. PSN link has no benefit, but an additional outlet to take and then lose your data.

LOL what data are you talking about. You only need an e-mail address. I can create a gmail account in 2 seconds and never use it again.

If you have an apple product, you can generate a fake proxy e-mail address for your real e-mail address. You can even use a fake birthdate.

Again, this is laughable.

I am an interested spectator with questions:

1) Has the developer said why they launched the game without PSN support despite knowing it would be required? The only statement I have seen is "so people could play the game".

2) Knowing the developer did the above, why are people angry at Sony?

Last edited:

rofif

Banned

1) Has the developer said why they launched the game without PSN support despite knowing it would be required? The only statement I have seen is "so people could play the game".

Yes they said:
1) Server problems. They disabled PSN requirement right at launch and knew they have to reenable it since then. They act like they forgot
2)People are uninformed/communication problems.
The only sony fault here is selling the game in psnless countries.

Fabieter

Well the things sony fucked up was selling it in countrys where psn isnt availabe. So that's the main thing with a little bit of bad communication but besides that it's overblown as fuck.

Gamezone

Gold Member
They actually "banned" the game from Svalbard according to the list, which is a solid part of Norway. Holy shit.

As a publisher, Sony is the one managing the network conditions. Devs just care about making a great game, their responsibility should end there.

The fact that we haven't had a statement from Sony is self-explanatory of how badly managed they are. We don't even know who the people in charge are. In a normal organization, SOMEONE is on top of PC game performances. And that someone should be fired for this.

Sony has not been able to appoint a CEO for their gaming division. This is flat-out ridiculous. Other than Yoshida, I got the feeling that none is doing shit at an executive level.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

In light of that guy's recent tweets, it seems they're both responsible to an extent.

1. It was the developers decision to not do the forced PSN linking at the games launch.

However, I can't imagine that decision would be approved without the publisher going over it.

2. The publisher is the one responsible for selling the game, they're selling the game in 170+ territories where they very well know PSN doesn't exist officially, via Steam. There should have been some amount of foresight long before this happened.

Last edited:
The bigger question if it affects the general attitude towards PSN requirements in Sony's games. In theory it should not as the news move fast, but who knows...

Top Bottom