• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arrowhead Studios confirm PSN Account Requirement decision was on Sony - Game received over 15,000 negative reviews and is now 'Mixed' on Steam

at min 36 he actually says the requirement was there and you should not get a refund.
But then he goes on populist rant back again.
The man is so wrong and so right at the same time... I kinda hate him but I keep watching
I don't care what he says. the point is that this dude is popular, and Sony is the baddie here.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
PSN accounts are free too. You can't 'officially' play them in unsupported xbox countries though much the same. The fact that it's possible doesn't mean them playing or being able to buy it is officially supported.

Minecraft doesn't need an Xbox account, it needs an MS account. They're different.

Minecraft players had the exact same issue in certain countries too likely didn't even have any refund options available.

Do you have some examples to share?

No, I don't see the difference at all.

I can't say I'm surprised, you've spent all this thread absolving any blame from the publisher and putting it on other things like 'less activity from those effected countries therefore it's ok to screw them over' kind of logic.

Fabieter

And now they’ve proved conclusively that you don’t need a PSN account to enable crossplay or for multiplayer to work well, it’s a tougher sell to try to bring it back.

perhaps the right approach would be to provide some incentive for people to set up these accounts. Or just leave the game as is and target mandatory accounts for the next live service game they’ve got queued up.

But it's also proves that's an extra account isn't needed for any game for crossplay so anyone defending other games are just arguing in bad faith.

cormack12

Gold Member
Emerging story

Steam players on Friday

Steam players on Monday
3671ea85-7f3a-4cb1-8112-5d2129a0a829_text.gif

ManaByte

Gold Member
But it's also proves that's an extra account isn't needed for any game for crossplay so anyone defending other games are just arguing in bad faith.

It wasn't needed for crossplay in helldivers 2. The game generated a unique ID that you used to add players cross-platform.

Other games like Fortnite use the external account for crossplay and cross progression.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I don't care what he says. the point is that this dude is popular, and Sony is the baddie here.
Damn. The guy even writes a negative review on the steam page for the game in that video.. and he says this is the first review he ever wrote on steam.
THIS IS THE FUCKING ONLINE COMMUNITY NOWADAYS. Negativity wins. Many as him would never write a positive review but negative? hell yeah!
Also, he asks viewers to go and write a negative review.... wtf.

And it's all absolutely wrong.
The PSN requirement was always there on steam page for the game. He then goes and says that there being some random sony FAQ nobody knew about yesterday totally invalidates steam store page and that faq says psn is optional.
Whatever helps their negative cause. Nobody knew about this random faq but now it's important... wtf

Edit: People like him are the problem. He pulls out random stuff from twitter, does not fact check and then at the spot makes up his mind to destroy the game. he got too much power to be this stupid. How the hell should developers feel if their whole company wellbeing depends on some popular influencer... and tweets that he sees.

Last edited:

Three

Minecraft doesn't need an Xbox account, it needs an MS account. They're different.
It creates an xbox profile and account when you sign into a game using that email address.
Do you have some examples to share?
People in iran who had any copy of minecraft from years ago were screwed because MS is a US company and MS accounts were prohibited there by the US. Should have waited for the next project instead of screwing those players by requiring an account, right?

I can't say I'm surprised, you've spent all this thread absolving any blame from the publisher and putting it on other things like 'less activity from those effected countries therefore it's ok to screw them over' kind of logic.
I've never once said it's OK to screw over anybody at all, even 1 single user. I only said there is a disproportionate amount of concern trolling coming from those that are not even in those countries if you look at usage percentage on steam. Also that those users could have created other regional accounts and weren't really being effectively blocked. I've never said they are a minority and can be screwed over. I just didn't like the fake virtue signaling people were doing with it because they themselves wanted the uproar not to create an account.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
People in iran who had any copy of minecraft from years ago were screwed because MS is a US company and MS accounts were prohibited there by the US. Should have waited for the next project instead of screwing those players by requiring an account, right?
this is a moot point.

phant0m

perhaps the right approach would be to provide some incentive for people to set up these accounts. Or just leave the game as is and target mandatory accounts for the next live service game they’ve got queued up.

This lol. All they have to do is offer people like 50 medals for linking their PSN account and like 90% of people would do it and this becomes entirely a non-event

adamsapple

People in iran who had any copy of minecraft from years ago were screwed because MS is a US company and MS accounts were prohibited there by the US. Should have waited for the next project instead of screwing those players by requiring an account, right

Per this topic, you can make an MS account in Iran. Not that I live there or have tried it myself.

Most negative reviews of any paid game ever 😂

In less than 48 hours ? That's an impressive feat in itself.

Last edited:

Mortisfacio

Banned
I love some of the shilling of "Just create a fake PSN account in a different country. Sure it violates the ToS, but you'll most likely be fine".

Absolute beta energy just bending over to shill for Sony.

Three

Per this topic, you can make an MS account in Iran.

Screenshot_2024-05-04_at_21.55.27.png
I don't understand why you're playing dumb with this "Microsoft Account so it just works" nonsense:

You don't even live in any of these countries yet claim to know what they might be facing, both with their apparent struggle with PSN and their apparent ease with MS.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Well of course if asmongold tells his chat to go and leave a negative review.
This is scary how much power these influencers have on the topic they just saw on twitter... leeches.

Controversy drives views. That’s the current meta for Twitch/ YT. Streamers will harp on this until the next controversy comes along.

Only people I feel bad for in this situation are Arrowhead.

rofif

Banned
its democracy. dont beleive the automation propoganda.
Nothing democratic about asmongold and his cohorts of brainless chat.
I once said something against the grain and got banned outright in his chat. HOWS THAT FOR A DEMOCRACY.
So of course if he says "do we write negative review" and everyone says "kill them!!!" there is nobody in chat to say otherwise because they are banned.
democracy my ass.
And his decisions are based on some random tweets. he is too big to be this reckless. No matter if he is right or wrong here

adamsapple

I honestly can't believe how unprofessional Arrowhead has behaved in this whole situation.

I think they've mostly done fine, one of their community managers went off on some people on Discord but when pointed out to them about many countries not having PSN access, they retracted their earlier message and apologized.

Look at the CEO's recent tweets, he seems frustrated at the whole thing as well. He's said multiple times that he would love to revoke the decision but he can't, it's not up to him. But he's using all these things like the reviews and refund requests as evidence to raise the arguments with Sony management.

You don't even live in any of these countries yet claim to know what they might be facing, both with their apparent struggle with PSN and their apparent ease with MS.

I clearly said I don't live there and haven't tried first hand. Also, you're using an example where the State Department of the US intervenes and prevents sale of software in Iran as the same thing as Sony deliberately allowing sale of software in regions where PSN has never existed in the first place.

Again, you haven't said a single line in this entire topic on how the publisher of the game can take any action to resolve this current HD2 issue, instead you've thrown blame at every which way and whataboutism'ed your way so far.

Let me ask you directly: Do you think the publisher is completely blameless here and there's nothing they could have, or can do now, to remedy it?

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Game is still being played by a lot of people. Doubt Sony is going to care about this.
The game's long term prospects are now in serious jeopardy. It's been near the top of Steam's top-selling games chart since launch without ever being discounted. Now there are 177 countries that can't purchase the game, and the ones who can may be put off by the negative reviews. Steam is giving out refunds for people in those countries that can no longer play the game, which means Sony's sales figures will take a hit. Their PC player base isn't likely to expand much beyond this point.

Just last week they were saying how vital PC was to the game's success

When the PC players inevitably start drying up, so too will the console players. I predict the game will go into a GaaS death spiral, when it could have been a good long-term moneymaker for Sony right up until this was announced.

feynoob

Gold Member
Nothing democratic about asmongold and his cohorts of brainless chat.
I once said something against the grain and got banned outright in his chat. HOWS THAT FOR A DEMOCRACY.
So of course if he says "do we write negative review" and everyone says "kill them!!!" there is nobody in chat to say otherwise because they are banned.
democracy my ass.
And his decisions are based on some random tweets. he is too big to be this reckless. No matter if he is right or wrong here
The game trained people to follow orders. All helldiver 2 players are obligated to follow democracy. No listening to automation talking point.
Squad Crew GIF by PlayStation

ManaByte

Gold Member
I don't understand why you're playing dumb with this "Microsoft Account so it just works" nonsense:

Holy omitting context Batman!

The government of Iran banned several online games, Minecraft included, because people were using the in-game communication of the games to communicate during protests against the Iranian government. It has nothing to do with this topic.

feynoob

Gold Member

There is difference between goverment ban and company not supporting them. Dont lick the boot friend. You dont want to go this path.

Fabieter

It wasn't needed for crossplay in helldivers 2. The game generated a unique ID that you used to add players cross-platform.

Other games like Fortnite use the external account for crossplay and cross progression.

Yes but it shows that technically there is no reason to require an additional account so if you hate one you should hate all for doing stacked accounts.

adamsapple

The government of Iran banned several online games, Minecraft included, because people were using the in-game communication of the games to communicate during protests against the Iranian government. It has nothing to do with this topic.

Now that's definitely some context that was missing in the posts.

Yes but it shows that technically there is no reason to require an additional account so if you hate one you should hate all for doing stacked accounts.

I don't think a single person in this, or the other related topics, have gone out of their way to defend multiple logins.

Mortisfacio

Banned

T Three is just going out of his way performing mental gymnastics to try and find a way to defend Sony. It's becoming more and more painfully apparent with each post.

Fabieter

Now that's definitely some context that was missing in the posts.

I don't think a single person in this, or the other related topics, have gone out of their way to defend multiple logins.

Nor doing anything about the dozens of other super popular games is basically the same.

th4tguy

This is all hilarious. If steam required another three account signups for different microservices to play your games, all of you would be posting articles at how ahead of the game Valve is.
He’ll, you would all sign over your first born for valve.
Yet, a publisher asks you to create an account and you lose your mind.

feynoob

Gold Member
Accounts only exist so companies can sell your data. That is why they are requiring mandatory login using thier accounts.

adamsapple

Nor doing anything about the dozens of other super popular games is basically the same.

What exactly do you want people *to do* here?

I don't think you've understood the main reason of the backlash. It's not the existence of multiple accounts, it's making it mandatory to sign up for a service that's present in way less countries 4~ months after the game came out and has a large global player-base.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Dont lick the boot friend. You dont want to go this path.
Some here always go into defense mode for whatever strange reason. The harsh reality is that there is nothing worth defending here for someone who’s just a plain ol gamer. You get no added bonus, it’s just extra hassle, and sometimes cut you off completely. And there is no reason to have a psn account if you only play on PC and this noise is about the PC version, The only one who benefit from a move like this is Sony. They likely want to boost MAU numbers and later lock people in more for an upcoming storefront and launcher and streaming service where the accounts is everything.

Fabieter

People aren't hating having "stacked accounts". People are legitimately hating on this being something they implemented 4 months after releasing the game locking people out.

There were other games doing the same. This is fueled by alot of people in country's with psn network possibility and a shitton of xbox fanboys (after starfield got destroyed last year)

Nothing will change for the future and people will feel great for destroying a good game and a good developer who did nothing out of the industry norm.

Be for real that alot of this is fake outrage!!

Mortisfacio

Banned

I don't think you've understood the main reason of the backlash. It's not the existence of multiple accounts, it's making it mandatory to sign up for a service that's present in way less countries 4~ months after the game came out and has a large global player-base.

Most people defending Sony here don't understand the reason for it and no matter how many times you tell them, they'll keep defending Sony.

Fabieter

Honest question
Do you even own the game because I highly doubt you even cared about it before the outcry.

feynoob

Gold Member
Some here always go into defense mode for whatever strange reason. The harsh reality is that there is nothing worth defending here for someone who’s just a plain ol gamer. You get no added bonus, it’s just extra hassle, and sometimes cut you off completely. And there is no reason to have a psn account if you only play on PC and this noise is about the PC version, The only one who benefit from a move like this is Sony. They likely want to boost MAU numbers and later lock people in more for an upcoming storefront and launcher and streaming service where the accounts is everything.
consumer first for me, no matter what platform.

Top Bottom