• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forbes: Steam reviews are a weapon, but one of the only ones players can wield

DaciaJC

Gold Member
On the heels of Sony reversing their plan to force PC players to sign up for a PSN account if they want to play Helldivers 2, which is fantastic news indeed, Paul Tassi wrote a great article explaining why Steam reviews are such a powerful tool, and frankly one of the very few effective ones players can use to take a stand against corporate bullshit.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paulta...-only-ones-players-can-wield/?sh=624f4a1f7af8

Some quotes:
In the wake of the Helldivers 2 controversy where Sony demanded Steam players link PSN accounts to be able to continue to play the game, one force was used to make a reversal of this decision happen: Negative Steam reviews. But this has sparked a tangential dialogue about the “weaponization” of Steam reviews, and how they’re wielded by players to punish or reward games (since the PSN backtrack, there’s now a movement to restore Helldivers 2’s positive reviews). But there is a reason this happens.

While I’m not saying this is necessarily a good thing, something like Steam reviews are one of the only mechanisms average players have in order to express discontent over the direction or actions of a game. Most people are not me, where I can write an article about my opinion on some controversy and get anywhere from 5,000 to 500,000 people reading it. The same goes for streamers and YouTubers with that kind of reach.

The other options are either futile or morally wrong. You can request refunds, but in the case of many situations with digital games, that ship has sailed and only in extremely rare circumstances will such requests be granted.

A player can take to social media, but again, without a following they’re tweeting into the wind or just a string of endless replies on a post. And when they’re not heard, for some, this can manifest in dark ways, screaming or harassing individual developers, as that did end up happening in the Helldivers case, and often happens with most situations like this.

It’s a matter of disempowerment. There are just not all that many ways gamers can make their voices heard in ways that either A) actually get attention or B) are not toxic and doing harm to individuals. So here we are.

Corporations care first and foremost about their bottom line, end of. They do not give a shit about you, they are certainly not your buddy. The single best way to express your displeasure is to not give them your money, of course, but in many cases the offending decision comes well after a game is released, like with HD2, when refunds are no longer possible for launch-period players. The power of Steam reviews comes from being able to encourage change through dissuading new customers - make enough noise on the store page that a bunch of potential buyers decide the game may not be worth their time or money and the publisher is bound to take notice.

Time and time again, we've seen Steam reviews utilized to drive corrective action, such as
when Capcom added a new layer of DRM to 10-year old games that affected longstanding mods
when the developers of Darkest Dungeon majorly skimped on their official Korean translation
when Ubisoft attempted to censor Rainbow Six Siege for all players to appease the CCP
or when Take-Two tried to kill off GTA singleplayer modding

In each of the above cases, community outcry as reflected through a barrage of negative Steam reviews led to the publishers walking back on their anti-consumer plans or to the developers putting in effort to rectify a lazy update. The above form just a small handful of cases, there are many more examples of review bombing leading to positive change.

Unfortunately, it seems like almost every time players try to speak up and take "drastic" action against whatever nonsense the industry tries shoving down their throat, there is an outspoken group of corporate shills that starts bleating "grow up, review bombing is so immature!" or "stop whining, how can you be so ungrateful?" or "ohhhh, the iNjUsTiCe!!!" But as Tassi explains, the means by which the community can directly hurt companies' pocketbooks and force them to pay attention are quite limited.

So next time someone starts up with the usual foolishness, tell them to go kick rocks. And if you should happen to be one of those people, consider taking a moment to ask yourself why you're all too happy to slurp down whatever %$!&@^#! dribbles from those #?%&@!^#@%?&!' @%$%^! &@!!@%#$, you absolute $%*#@$&^ !%^$#&. Fucking #&!%@$$.

Kilau

Gold Member
if you should happen to be one of those people, consider taking a moment to ask yourself why you're all too happy to slurp down whatever %$!&@^#! dribbles from those #?%&@!^#@%?&!' @%$%^! &@!!@%#$, you absolute $%*#@$&^ !%^$#&. Fucking #&!%@$$.

Jon Richardson GIF

Mr Moose

Capcom has recently updated some of its older PC games in order to protect them with Enigma Protector, a DRM considered highly invasive. As expected, gamers were silent and raised their voices to show their disagreement.

They also review bombed the affected games on Steam. Faced with this, Capcom was not indifferent, so it decided to reverse its decision and remove the security system, at least from Resident Evil Revelations.
Didn't remove it from MH Rise though did they? Cunts.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
The reviews are definitely effective but I think publishers fear the refund more than anything else
My thoughts as well. Are bad reviews on Steam going to deter some future Helldivers 2 players? Sure. Was Sony potentially facing a few million (or more) players getting a $40 refund for selling it in a country that didn't have PSN access? Absolutely.

Guess which one they cared about more.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
I’ve been saying this forever.

Braindead boot lickers try and label Steam reviews in a negative light as if it’s a bad thing to make your voice heard. Truth is Steam users are the only people that have a voice. The only ones who can actually bring about change.

There are many reasons to not care for Steam Reviews, but when it works - it works. And they are certainly more trustworthy than modern journalist trash like Kotaku and the like.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
What some people don't understand is that these reviews plays a huge role into whether a game will fail or succeed on Steam, because they are factored into the algorithm which determine their visibility on the store. That’s why so many publishers (especially the indies) will remind players on social media to write reviews.

it seems like almost every time players try to speak up and take "drastic" action against whatever nonsense the industry tries shoving down their throat, there is an outspoken group of corporate shills that starts bleating "grow up, review bombing is so immature!" or "stop whining, how can you be so ungrateful?" or "ohhhh, the iNjUsTiCe!!!"

In general it is best to ignore those corporate shills and their "crybabies" posts, because they are doing so to convince PC players to be submissive like them, and allow their favorite corporations to roll out unfavorable moves like on consoles.

Last edited:
Need a collective buying and user rating site for the Auto industry. Were all going to pay extra per month to enable the A/C or the USB port to play your music.

Last edited:
I would love to see data that actually shows user reviews correlating to weaker sales. I bet it is incredibly marginal at best

Last edited:
Yea I don't know about that. Plenty of steam reviews don't even have anything to do with the game. Steam points farming is a thing aye.

MayauMiao

I’ve been saying this forever.

Braindead boot lickers try and label Steam reviews in a negative light as if it’s a bad thing to make your voice heard. Truth is Steam users are the only people that have a voice. The only ones who can actually bring about change.
The review is to send a message. The real power is the our wallets and the refund button.

Sinfulgore

Do people even look at steam reviews? Most reviews seem like jokes and you have to scroll through so many just to find one that can be helpful. They also don't seem to have much impact on how successful a game is. Call of Duty Warzone has mostly negative reviews on Steam and that's one of the most successful games out right now. Though to be fair most of the recent reviews for Warzone are nonsense like " I have cancer" "i havent played yet, but my uncle played it and he touched me when i was 4" "Trash, gay company that likes touching children", "This game made me even more racist." etc. Almost sounds like a YouTube comments section yet for some reason, all of these reviews were voted helpful by the community.

rm082e

Yes, Steam reviews can sway people to buy or not buy a game. They have swayed me on multiple occasions in both directions.

I remember being a little hesitant on Death's Door, but the reviews pushed me over the edge and I picked it up. So glad I did. I've also heard some people gush about a game they love only to look at the reviews and see they seem to be an outlier.

Review bombing is an effective way to alert someone there is an issue that they might want to be aware of. It at least let's you know you should do more research.

reviews (both) are important. but I dont read or watch them (much less user scores). they just indicated the big picture of the game consensus and some "drama" attached to it.

and yes, publishers and devs care a big deal for them.

Yonyx

Banned
I'm glad this happened this way. Also, we've been able to identify many 'corpolovers' who were determined to defend the indefensible.

By the way, on SteamDB the game has gone from having a 42% to a 68% in less than 24 hours.

The most effective weapon is your Will Power. Close the wallet in the collective sense and watch them cave faster than premature ejaculation or a bad review. Heads will roll.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Forbes, the reliable, straight faced, non biased source of non existing information. The only better outlet is Wired with their elongated articles that give you nothing, yet rob your time.

Do people even look at steam reviews? Most reviews seem like jokes and you have to scroll through so many just to find one that can be helpful. They also don't seem to have much impact on how successful a game is. Call of Duty Warzone has mostly negative reviews on Steam and that's one of the most successful games out right now. Though to be fair most of the recent reviews for Warzone are nonsense like " I have cancer" "i havent played yet, but my uncle played it and he touched me when i was 4" "Trash, gay company that likes touching children", "This game made me even more racist." etc. Almost sounds like a YouTube comments section yet for some reason, all of these reviews were voted helpful by the community.
It's an echo chamber for people who want to read their thoughts laid out by someone else. Lot of people buy the game so they can review the game. Also most of the people do not read newspapers, do not watch news, the only thing they want is some quality time. Hence they don't care about reviews.

StereoVsn

The reviews are definitely effective but I think publishers fear the refund more than anything else
Well, hopefully bad reviews drive refunds and less future sales. It is one of few recourses left to players to express their dissatisfaction with the corpo behavior.

bender

What time is it?
Do people even look at steam reviews?

I find them somewhat useful for the many unknowns that end up in Fanatical or Humble Bundles. I don't read any of them but it's nice to see the overall reception along with the amount of reviews.

Buggy Loop

Steam refund is industry leading

When they see the situation doesn’t make sense, they don’t care if you refund with 200h.

Nobody else does it

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I would love to see data that actually shows user reviews correlating to weaker sales. I bet it is incredibly marginal at best
Game went to top 3 top sellers to like #18 or something like that the moment the shit started to hit the fan.

So I'd say yeah, reviews for sure can and will impact on sales.

Topher

Gold Member

All the time. There are some really thorugh reviews in there. I skip the jokes and look for reviews of substance. There are plenty usually unless a game just isn't popular at all.

Game went to top 3 top sellers to like #18 or something like that the moment the shit started to hit the fan.

So I'd say yeah, reviews for sure can and will impact on sales.
I'm talking more about long term. I don't think a game having a poor steam user reviews means all that much. Also, I bet 170ish countries not able to purchase the game is a reason for HD2's drop

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
I'm talking more about long term. I don't think a game having a poor steam user reviews means all that much. Also, I bet 170ish countries not able to purchase the game is a reason for HD2's drop
I think the drop happened before Steam pulled the game out of those countries, but I'm not sure atm.

In any case, when you enter a game's page on Steam the average review score, both recent and overall, are in sight without even having to scroll down, and a bad review score is displayed either in orange or red which makes it even more visible. So if I had to bet I would say that yeah, they impact the long term sales.

Sinfulgore

All the time. There are some really thorugh reviews in there. I skip the jokes and look for reviews of substance. There are plenty usually unless a game just isn't popular at all.
Do you prefer Steam reviews over YouTube reviews?

Bkdk

Clearly not just reviews, the significant PC sales is what push sony and other never PC publishers to release games on PC and forced to change their business practices on PC.

Top Bottom