• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new lawn mower won't start - am I doing something wrong?

spin_prod_775357212

So I bought a brand new Briggs & Stratton Craftsman mower from Sears. I put oil and 94 unleaded gas and pulling the cord isn't starting. The manual is confusing as hell and it's not clear what steps I should take.

I have ZERO experience with mowers. Is there something I need to do for it to start? I really hope it's not defective. The Sears I bought it from has shut down.

UPDATE: SUCCESS!!!!!! It was the handles, they was set too short, meaning the 2 long handles were touching the blades

Kill3r7

Did you read the user's manual? It will have all the answers you need. YouTube is a good alternative. Anyhow, make sure the fuel line is in the open position, you filled up your oil tank. Which brings up another question, is it a two stroke motor? If it is the oil needs to be mixed in with the gas. Some models require priming, typically 2 stroke motors. They might also have a choke for cold starting your engine. Press the handle bar and pull.

Speely

Banned
My friend once filled the coolant tank with oil on accident when he needed to put it in the engine which was low. This was before a road trip. Yeah you can figure the rest.

Oh damn. :(

Edit: OP, just look for a squishy part and press it about 4 times before starting.

bionic77

Everyone covered everything in this thread already.

First check to make sure fuel line open.
Then read how to prime.
Then really rip into it when you try to start. It can take a few times when they are new.

This totally reminded me of this:
29d39bd99ea4175ba2ab8005a3384877--over-thinking-stop-thinking.jpg

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. My wife is annoyed at me because I didn't watch bachelorette with her tonight because I was in the garage fiddling with this damn thing.

She asked me if I was ignoring her.... I chose not to respond and proceeded to continue to try and understand the manual.

Then read how to prime.
Then really rip into it when you try to start. It can take a few times when they are new.

How do you make sure fuel line is open? Holding the bar down?

Xe4

Banned
Aside from what everyone else said, make sure your fuel mix is correct. It'll probably be like 50:1 or 40:1 gas/oil mix.
Don't do this unless it's a two stroke.

Jesus Carbomb

From Water into Guinness

Then read how to prime.

Wont hurt to make sure the spark plug is fully connected.

Clockwork

Just make sure you are holding that bar down when you pull the cord.

Other than that I got nothing.

When I got my new mower last year all I did was fill the oil, fill the gas, grab the bar, and pull the cord. It started first pull and still does.

Ptaaty

Only one person noted your likely issue...kill switch. All mowers have a fail safe... riding ones have multiple ones. On the handle there will be a bar that needs to be held against handle or it will prevent spark...won't start or keep running without being held

Top Bottom