• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new lawn mower won't start - am I doing something wrong?

Koomaster

Make sure the filter is installed properly. For some reason a mower my friend bought had the filter installed with the plastic still on it.

Also yes as others have said make sure the fuel line is open, should just be a knob on the side. Prime it or pull the choke and give the cord a good pull with the bar depressed.

If you're really having issues getting it started sometimes over-priming it is okay. Just be prepared for a lot of smoke when it does start. I wouldn't suggest doing it often except when the tank has been empty a while (like when you buy it new). Over-priming will also again affect the filter so be careful fuel doesn't seep into that and clog things.

Really should read the manual tho - slowly.

greepoman

When you pull the cord you're giving it a real good yank right?

Girl I knew had same problem I went over to see what the issue was and yanked it and it started right up. She laughed and said, "oh I didn't know you had to pull it hard". So I had her show me how she did it and I almost fell over laughing. Then on my way home I thought of the response "well you're not gonna get anything started yanking it so weak like that" and cursed my missed opportunity.

Aside from what everyone else said, make sure your fuel mix is correct. It'll probably be like 50:1 or 40:1 gas/oil mix.

Don't. I have never mixed oil for lawn mowers. That's reserved for 2 cycle engines, stuff like weed eaters, chainsaws and gas powered blowers. I'm Mexican btw, landscaping equipment is sort of our thing.

to me it sounds like either the fuel line isn't open which is generally a small knob on the side of the engine, make sure thats open if it has one usually straight up is open sideways is closed or vice versa not 100% sure. Next would be to make sure any handles that are up on the long bar where you push it from are clamped down and if need be to start use pliers to clamp em down these will also choke off the engine from turning over and running. if nothing else you can always run it down to a local lawnmower shop (yes they are around) and they can figure it out if nothing else it working.

This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. My wife is annoyed at me because I didn't watch bachelorette with her tonight because I was in the garage fiddling with this damn thing.

She asked me if I was ignoring her.... I chose not to respond and proceeded to continue to try and understand the manual.

Okay, now this thread is going places.

Make sure the gas that you're putting in is new.

If the gas has been sitting around for too long, the lawnmower might not start.

From your manual:

Your engine is equipped with an
automatic choke system. No priming or
choking is required before starting.
• To start engine, hold operator presence
control bar down to the handle and
pull starter handle quickly. Do not allow
starter rope to snap back.

Maybe you should ask your wife to give it a try.

Shadybiz

From your manual:

Maybe you should ask your wife to give it a try.

Daaaaaamn.

Yeah, that does eliminate several possibilities, though.

OP...also make sure your sparkplug is attached. Sometimes they come without them attached (that would be another thing in the manual).

Dishwalla

Banned
How on earth did it take so long for someone to suggest holding down the cutoff bar when you are trying to operate the thing? That's the simplest thing when you are operating a lawn mower. And I haven't even used one in like a decade lol.

ThisGuy

Prime it, choke it.

LOL, you weren't holding the bar down? Hahahahahahahahahaha

Couldnt find your manual. Check your kill switch and spark plug.

jb1234

I want to know how you have no experience with lawn mowers. They're practically a teenage rite of passage.

MechDX

Well first off you got a mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine.

I always get Honda motors

Yeah Im a lawnmower snob

Jamesbonz

Neo Member
This is EXACTLY what is happening to me. My wife is annoyed at me because I didn't watch bachelorette with her tonight because I was in the garage fiddling with this damn thing.

fXnUE1m.jpg

Car hole.

On topic: Prime it

Here's how it works.

You have a gas tank, with a gas line that will be visible that goes to the engine. On this path is where "some" makes/models will have a valve to allow the gas to either flow to the engine or not. My old Briggs and Stratton did not, I had to pinch the line with pliers if I wanted it shut to work on the engine. Most of what I just typed likely doesn't apply.

But you still need to do 3 things to start your mower. First, "prime" the engine. This is done on the front of the mower by the engine. There will be a small rubber half dome ball looking thing. Press this 3-4 times at most. This will squirt a small amount of gas in used only for starting the engine, the carburetor will do the rest automatically.

Second, hold down the "choke", which is the bar near the handle. Most modern mowers are auto choked, meaning just the bar. Older models might have a throttle control on the handlebar, in which you have to set it to start first, then hold the choke and adjust the throttle after starting. Yours is likely an auto choke. So, hold it down (at all times, until you want to kill the engine power)

Third, pull that mothafuckin' cord like a carnival game on a first date.

Tip : When your mower starts to lose power, its not likely its fuel first.. your bag is likely full. Also before you mow, always always always walk the perimeter and make sure sprinkler heads are down first or else you'll be doing 3 home depot runs, trenching and your afternoon will be shot. Trust

Well first off you got a mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine.

I always get Honda motors

Yeah Im a lawnmower snob

I wasn't going to say it but. lol this made me laugh. I have a Honda HRR and fucking have a crush on my lawnmower. My wife is legit bothered.

Mohonky

How on earth did it take so long for someone to suggest holding down the cutoff bar when you are trying to operate the thing? That's the simplest thing when you are operating a lawn mower. And I haven't even used one in like a decade lol.

Some of us use equipment decades old because we know how to use and service that shit. All these new things with safety cut offs.....

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Oh god, it's the bar isn't it? You weren't holding the bar down.

Because that shit is second nature to many, it is literally the last thing I would think someone didn't understand.

Badgerst3

Thead delivered.

Need OP update after he figured out he needed to hold the bar down, started the mower, and mowed every fucking lawn in the neighborhood even if it's is 10:50 pm.

Thead delivered.

Need OP update after he figured out he needed to hold the bar down, started the mower, and mowed every fucking lawn in the neighborhood even if it's is 10:50 pm.

It's too late now. I'm going to try tomorrow morning. Don't want to wake up the neighbours in case it does start.

Badgerst3

It's too late now. I'm going to try tomorrow morning. Don't want to wake up the neighbours in case it does start.

Just mow their lawn tomorrow as an apology because you know your mower is taunting you right now. Maybe even laughing at you.

J/k: looking forward to the update.

Pro tip: don't mow in flip flops.

Xe4

Banned
Do NOT do this...that type of lawnmower you do not do an oil & gas mix.

oops. you're under the assumption this is a two stoke. it's most likely not.

Don't. I have never mixed oil for lawn mowers. That's reserved for 2 cycle engines, stuff like weed eaters, chainsaws and gas powered blowers. I'm Mexican btw, landscaping equipment is sort of our thing.

Oh, my lawnmower is a two stroke. I thought all were. My bad.

Honda 4-stroke mower 4 life. Dad secrets of the landscaping gods right there. So happy to not have a safety bar like yours OP, obviously a pain. I await your thread on a weed whacker coming soon mate :)

Just mow their lawn tomorrow as an apology because you know your mower is taunting you right now. Maybe even laughing at you.

J/k: looking forward to the update.

Pro tip: don't mow in flip flops.
I mow bare feet all of the time. Sometimes you will see me jump a little every 30 seconds as stones fly up and hit my fucking big toe. Oooh does that hurt like a bitch but I forget every time until it happens the next time.

She asked me if I was ignoring her.... I chose not to respond and proceeded to continue to try and understand the manual.

your wife asked if you were ignoring her and you responded by ignoring her? oh man

spin_prod_775357212

So I bought a brand new Briggs & Stratton Craftsman mower ...

Used to be a good company. Their mowers don't really last anymore, and I will never buy another one of their products. Not only myself, but my parents, and several friends all have the same experience with their mowers. They don't last and have constant issues. My suggestion is a Honda mower. Good luck with yours, regardless.

I want to know how you have no experience with lawn mowers. They're practically a teenage rite of passage.

Teenagers these days got it easy. When I was a kid there we didn't have one of these fancy lawnmowers with an engine. The one we had was operated entirely by hand, yet I didn't complain.
I complained a lot

Top Bottom