• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new lawn mower won't start - am I doing something wrong?

Jesus, two pages on how to start a lawnmower.

I fear for this civilization.

I'm the second post on the second page...

OP, if it still hasn't started, are you sure you removed all the packing materials?

Is there a piece of cardboard blocking the air filter/intake?

Is there something on the blades preventing them from turning freely?

Etc...

Jake.

i had to mow our front lawn as a kid, but have pretty much always lived in apartments as an adult and wouldn't have used one in almost 20yrs or so now (and my dad would have started it). prayin4u as i'm also mentally handicapped when it comes to anything mechanical.

bjork

"guys my new lawn mower doesn't start"

"buy a new lawn mower"

come on. the real answer is don't have a lawn

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
"guys my new lawn mower doesn't start"

"buy a new lawn mower"

come on. the real answer is don't have a lawn

dead-lawn.jpg

Saganator

This totally reminded me of this:
29d39bd99ea4175ba2ab8005a3384877--over-thinking-stop-thinking.jpg

Lol I love this. Whenever I'm trying to fix or solve a problem, it takes over my mind, it consumes me. I get super distant and I don't talk much because all I'm thinking about is how to solve the problem. I should save this image, could come in handy one day.

Waaghals

There should be a red rubber button on the front of the engine.

Pump it 3 times, and see if it will start. If it doesn't, pump it once more. It should start.

Do not "overpump" it.

Shadybiz

There should be a red rubber button on the front of the engine.

Pump it 3 times, and see if it will start. If it doesn't, pump it once more. It should start.

Do not "overpump" it.

Another poster found that the OP's mower has neither a primer nor a choke. There are really only so many things it could be.

Another poster found that the OP's mower has neither a primer nor a choke. There are really only so many things it could be.

A friend of mine bought a mower that had a cardboard cover over the air filter inside the intake. You had to take the top off, remove the cardboard, then screw it back on. I don't remember the brand, though...

Also, OP, if you don't want to read the whole manual, at least glance at the quick start guide... Most mowers should have one since they realize a lot of people won't read the manual.

Probably all been said but I'd check the spark plug. Also make sure you put enough gas in it and that you put the gas and the oil in the right tanks. I had a mower that wouldn't start unless the gas tank was nearly full.

Once you do that, hold down the handle and keep it held down as you pull the cord. You might have to pull it multiple times before it'll actually start.

Edit: I've also had a new mower where the throttle/stop cable was broken. When I pushed down the handle it wasn't actually doing anything. So that's a possibility too but I doubt it.

And if you really know nothing about mowers...do not touch the muffler after you've ran it. It'll be hot as hell.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
One other thing to check - is the mower broken? If it is, then you might need to take it back and get a new one

KingV

Do they still make mowers that have primers and chokes?

That's typically something I think of as being part of a 2 stroke engine (like a string trimmer) and not a 4 stroke engine (like almost all modern lawn mowers).

I know I haven't seen one with a primer since I was a kid.

danowat

Banned
Do they still make mowers that have primers and chokes?

That's typically something I think of as being part of a 2 stroke engine (like a string trimmer) and not a 4 stroke engine (like almost all modern lawn mowers).

I know I haven't seen one with a primer since I was a kid.

Yes, my mower (only a few years old) has a primer

TalonJH

Pull the string.

If only. I imagine OP just staring at the mower and waiting for it to start.

OT: Since it doesn't need to primed, the only thing you should need on a new mower is to just make sure you are holding the cutoff bar and then yank the cord. Does it at least sound like it is trying to start?

Edit: I just looked at the picture again. It has two bars because it is a self-propelled mower. Make sure you are holding the right bar.

OP, where do you live? Pay my airfare and I'll come cut it for you for free.

Schlep

There should be a rubber bubble with a hole in it on the left side of the engine. Push that a few times. Hold the top bar down and then pull the cord (with the bar still held down).

AColdDay

On my mower there is a knob sorta thing that you've got to turn in order for fuel to go to the mower. I will occasionally forget to turn it when I'm starting out then get irritated when my mower doesn't start. Then I will remember it and then feel foolish for getting upset with my mower when it was my stupidity causing the problem.

p2535748

I have a tractor and an old push that I abuse to cut brush and shit. If I just had a push, I'd go for electric if I was buying today. I hate pull starts.

I've had a pull start mower for 6 years. It's failed to start exactly once, and that was because I left gas in it over the winter. Drained it, refilled it, and it started right up. Pull starts sucked when I was a kid, but (at least some of them) seem perfectly fine now.

Man, I'm glad I just have a simple mechanical push mower. All the little tips and steps being suggested here make my head spin. It's all easy enough to figure out if you just read the manual, but I don't feel like messing with it. Pulling for ya in this strange, complicated lawnmower world, OP!

Preezy

Can someone explain to this layman why people still use petrol-powered lawn mowers? What's the advantage over using an electrical one?

Can someone explain to this layman why people still use petrol-powered lawn mowers? What's the advantage over using an electrical one?

As someone who mows their lawn with an electric one, not having a fucking wire attached to it would be massively beneficial.

Also, you tend to get petrol engines with rollers on the front, so you get do the lines too (although electric ones do come with those too, but I have an hover mower, which is a bit shit).

Ty4on

As someone who mows their lawn with an electric one, not having a fucking wire attached to it would be massively beneficial.

Also, you tend to get petrol engines with rollers on the front, so you get do the lines too (although electric ones do come with those too, but I have an hover mower, which is a bit shit).
Batteries, how do they work?

Just want to say thanks guys for all the help.

It was something as simple as the handles being put too low that was getting in the way of the blade spinning. So the Mower didn't start. I didn't realize I needed to pull the handles out.

Mower now fires up like a charm.

Top Bottom