• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Brand new lawn mower won't start - am I doing something wrong?

Just want to say thanks guys for all the help.

It was something as simple as the handles being put too low that was getting in the way of the blade spinning. So the Mower didn't start. I didn't realize I needed to pull the handles out.

Mower now fires up like a charm.

You didn't follow the instructions, did you? That's like the first thing they tell you to do.

Congrats, OP! Enjoy the sweet smell of fresh cut grass. If you live in a place where you actually have winter, then I look forward to your next thread. Winterizing stuff is a pain in the ass.

You didn't follow the instructions, did you? That's like the first thing they tell you to do.

Congrats, OP! Enjoy the sweet smell of fresh cut grass. If you live in a place where you actually have winter, then I look forward to your next thread. Winterizing stuff is a pain in the ass.

I saw that part but it seems like it was already done, just never looked under the blade.

This thing mows!!! I feel like I am driving a race car!!!

I live in Toronto. So Winter is a pain in the ass. No issues though, the mower goes in the basement along with my hoes.

TalonJH

Can someone explain to this layman why people still use petrol-powered lawn mowers? What's the advantage over using an electrical one?

Electric mowers come in two varieties: corded and cordless. I'm glad to hear that there's a model out there that doesn't plug into an outlet. Say what you will, but I would be paranoid of running the cord over with the mower and electrocuting myself.

Looking past my fear of electrocution, I discovered that electric lawn mowers offer some pretty great benefits:

No sparkplugs to change
No fuel filters to change
No oil to change
No gasoline to fiddle with
They may save money over time (check out this graph for more info)
They're better for the environment
They're quieter than traditional mowers
These are all some pretty great benefits, right? Well, before you run to the hardware store to scoop one up, think about a few of the drawbacks:

Corded models limit your mobility
Cordless models may not offer a lot of mowing time – some only last for an hour before they require changing
They may not handle thicker grass well
Watch for water when you mow
They tend to be more expensive than gas mowers
Gas Lawn Mowers

My parents had an old gas mower, and my dad was able to fix and maintain it. Because of this, it's lasted a long time. Aside from longevity, gas-powered lawn mowers have a few other benefits:

They can cut through tougher grass with ease
There's no cord to limit mobility
They have the ability to mow larger areas without waiting for a battery to charge
A little bit of gas goes a long way when mowing a lawn
They're more durable than most electric mowers
What might make you think twice about buying a gas-powered mower? Consider a few of these points below:

Most gas mowers are heavier than electric mowers
They're louder than electric mowers
They require regular engine maintenance
They have pull-start cords that can make it difficult to turn them on
They emit carbon monoxide and dioxide into the atmosphere
A gas lawn mower works well if you don't mind a little maintenance. The extra power and mobility make it a great option, particularly if you have a big yard. However, if you have a small lawn and aren't comfortable working on engines, opting for an electric mower might be the best option for you. Also, remember to consider what works best with your budget and speak to an expert to answer any specific questions you might have.

https://www.quickenloans.com/blog/pros-cons-electric-gas-lawn-mowers

I saw that part but it seems like it was already done, just never looked under the blade.

I live in Toronto. So Winter is a pain in the ass. No issues though, the mower goes in the basement along with my hoes.

Ahh, nice to hear you got it going. Yeah, I forgot that when they are packaged, the handle is pushed into the mower to save space. Self-propelled mowers are nice. You just follow behind and it does all the work. It sucked having to push them around when I was a kid.

Small tip: let your grass dry before cutting if it is getting long. It will minimize clogging. Wet grass can be a pain.

OP redemption right there mate :)

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
It's normal for lawn mowers to break and make you buy another one.

Top Bottom