• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Helldivers 2 Account Linking Reversal

Three

Because the game is not available on steam right now.
It was also removed from steam after but surely that's even more backlash worthy for those who got it on steam in the steam reviews, right? I'm trying to understand where you're going with this. When it retroactively added mandatory accounts it was on steam and people still played their steam copies, on top of that it was blocked from further sales on steam. What's the relevance though? That seems worse to me than just a, kind of but not really, retroactive account requirement. just saying I don't buy the idea that the outrage is because they added it later. Rocket League suffered nothing like that.

tmlDan

again. projection, I'm not interested in degenerates activity. Stop thinking everyone is the same
I'm interested in original design intent
Again, that's why i said the second portion of my comment. Stellar Blade is not the game you should be putting on a pedestal for this argument, there are far better examples of actual censorship

PC gamers

Traumatized paul rudd GIF
Load up...Tayne.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
That’s exactly what it is. Sony fanboys taking some pleasure from seeing Sony smack those smug PC gamers around a bit and watching them cry. Now feeling crestfallen when Sony backed down in the face of overwhelming backlash.
That’s disturbing to hear

wvnative

Pissed off with this whole debacle. We bitch and whine and moan about some pretty heinous anti-consumer practices in this industry, but we don't DO anything. We never seriously push back. Where was this level of outrage for prior publisher account requirements? Where was this level of outrage and push back when Sony raised PSN sub prices ACROSS THE BOARD and then made the service WORSE?

We have so much more power than we realize, why aren't we exercising it more?

Jigsaah

Gold Member
I never thought this was a big deal...but then there was the whole "I can no longer play this game in my country" thing.

That changed my mind completely. Glad Sony saw the error of their ways. The MAU's won't get the boost...but I think overall this will blow over.

I'm sure the experts in the other threads advising PC players to sit down and shut up will have plenty to say now that Sony has conceded the point.
Most of those experts I'd never seen post before and apparently temporarily woke up from a 10 year coma just long enough to call PC players losers before disappearing.

MLSabre

Because people don't care enough to fight for it. Why do you think we're in this predicament in the first place? Microtransaction hell, paying for online service, titles taken down at anytime at the publishers' whims, Day 1 patches, DLCs locked as preorder exclusives, etc.

You give someone an inch, they'll take it for a mile.

Last edited:

lifa-cobex

Pissed off with this whole debacle. We bitch and whine and moan about some pretty heinous anti-consumer practices in this industry, but we don't DO anything. We never seriously push back. Where was this level of outrage for prior publisher account requirements? Where was this level of outrage and push back when Sony raised PSN sub prices ACROSS THE BOARD and then made the service WORSE?

Quite honestly, gaming is fucked and will only get more corpo over the years to come.

Yea this was a win but it's only because of the downvote feature on Steam.
It was a collective vocal point to show dissatisfaction. The same level of outrage would still be present but spread out to be unseen without that feature. It might well have slipped through if without it.
I think it only made the bar because Steam allowed other country's to purchase it. Having HD2 removed after purchase was the golden bullet to Sony.

As much fun as it is watching the Snoy lads cry about this. It's one victory in an ever going war.
Consoles only players just don't have anyway to voice the displeasure about something. Aside from just not purchasing it (which most gamers haven't the discipline to do).
Next console gen, Sony could well turn around and say "no more re-selling or lending games to friends." Just like MS tried.
The people crying about this just don't see the bigger picture.

Back when the price increased for PSN during the PS3 slim days. I quit their and then. I haven't had PS+ since. It's a rip off and the service is crap.
But moving over to a PC is a huge money sink innately. Especially these days with GPU prices.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Good thing they turned their decision.

I don't know why people is saying stuff like this is common in the PC space. I can only think of situations where they move forward: Rockstar launcher, Epic Launcher (for stuff like Fallguys), Square-Enix... Can't think of any situation where someone announced a launcher to be required and then going back on it.

PC users nearly always win these situations. Stuff like this happens all the time on PC, and PC gamers stand up to it, and usually (but not always) they get what they want in the end.
Its funny seeing console gamers get so worked up over this, a situation that isnt rare on PC.I suppose it involving Sony got the warriors ruffled!.

This is why PC is the best. Its a community that basically runs the show with no mega corp owning PC. Everyone has to bow to what us PC gamers want in the end. Console users just accept whats thrown at you from Sony and MS.

It says while his games executable goes through a 1001 different malware DRMs and kernel level anti cheat.

feynoob

It was also removed from steam after but surely that's even more backlash worthy for those who got it on steam in the steam reviews, right? I'm trying to understand where you're going with this. When it retroactively added mandatory accounts it was on steam and people still played their steam copies, on top of that it was blocked from further sales on steam. What's the relevance though? That seems worse to me than just a, kind of but not really, retroactive account requirement. just saying I don't buy the idea that the outrage is because they added it later. Rocket League suffered nothing like that.
Because we literally have more social presence right now.
That is how the outrage spreads fast.

SnapShot

Gotta hit those corporate goofballs where it hurts them most, their money pockets.

The only way they'll listen to you.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

PC gamers fighting for their freedom from corporate shackles and using a DRM platform to do it. It’s a bit ironic.

You think modern consoles aren't oozing with DRM?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Even physical won't save you 100%. Assuming that the game was even remotely complete on that disc and not just a digital token, the platform holders can revoke your access to a game even if you have a physical copy and log online and that’s it. You’re left to hack away a console to get it back, or never go online ever. I can't think of a case that it happened but they 100% can. Blurays have encryption based DRM built both in the disc and player. New players can stop supporting decryption keys and lock out a disc and new discs can have bad playback on old players

Nintendo actually tracks game IDs and if they see multiples of that ID (pirated) they outright ban physical game carts if not outright brick your console.

And such, you have sites like this for

You download a patch, use cloud, or trophies? DRM.

And steam is not forcing DRM on anyone. Its up to individual devs

With most of them losing steamworks at the worse with a small command and they become DRM free, at the cost of losing cloud saves, achievements and steam overlay during gaming.

What options for digital content do you even have that compares to this?
Next gen or the one after when all console providers go 100% digital (don't kid yourself, it's coming), do you think you'll have the same flexibility?

With ideas like these that are either pending or just on hold because of Microsoft's backlash

That's a thin fucking steel wire to walk on and point fingers. Could easily be applied next gen.

feynoob

Than 2019-2020 covid time? No, we were on social media far more during that time.
We are in post cyberpunk era now. Gamers are now unhappy with alot of stuff.

The login fiasco hit a new community that we're happy about their game and it pissed them off.

Wrong place, wrong time for that.

dotnotbot

You think modern consoles aren't oozing with DRM?

Cracking Up Lol GIF

Even physical won't save you 100%. Assuming that the game was even remotely complete on that disc and not just a digital token, the platform holders can revoke your access to a game even if you have a physical copy and log online and that’s it. You’re left to hack away a console to get it back, or never go online ever. I can't think of a case that it happened but they 100% can. Blurays have encryption based DRM built both in the disc and player. New players can stop supporting decryption keys and lock out a disc and new discs can have bad playback on old players

Nintendo actually tracks game IDs and if they see multiples of that ID (pirated) they outright ban physical game carts if not outright brick your console.

And such, you have sites like this for

You download a patch, use cloud, or trophies? DRM.

And steam is not forcing DRM on anyone. Its up to individual devs

With most of them losing steamworks at the worse with a small command and they become DRM free, at the cost of losing cloud saves, achievements and steam overlay during gaming.

What options for digital content do you even have that compares to this?
Next gen or the one after when all console providers go 100% digital (don't kid yourself, it's coming), do you think you'll have the same flexibility?

With ideas like these that are either pending or just on hold because of Microsoft's backlash

That's a thin fucking steel wire to walk on and point fingers. Could easily be applied next gen.

TL;DR it's not as bad as PC DRM but hipotetically, teoretically it could be or will be, so therefore PC DRM = console DRM lol, amazing reasoning

CqZfeeS.png

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

TL;DR it's not as bad as PC DRM but hipotetically, teoretically it could be or will be, so therefore PC DRM = console DRM lol, amazing reasoning

They're both DRM. A disc check is DRM by definition since the dawn of ages, because the DRM definition is vague as fuck. But nowadays they are encrypted and can be revoked. If that's not DRM for you, then nothing is.

But do tell me where to play Helldivers 2 DRM free?

Last edited:
Well, the PC guys won this battle against account linking. Now, to move onto other games and do the same thing and kill the whole practice. And I expect the next battle....never.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

People seeing what they want to see...

Hasn't it occurred to them that if the game wasn't already a success they'd have no leverage? And that being the case it means the provider has the goods they want, so they get to set the terms.

Not saying getting Sony to back off in this instance isn't win for them, but to suggest that it means something bigger... I really don't think so.

Please note: writing this after running across so many hyperbole-laden YT pieces about how amazing this victory was, and how Sony backed down because otherwise they'd be "finished"! Crazy, crazy stuff.

//DEVIL//

This is up there with some of the stupidest false equivalences I've ever read here.
like I give a crap about what you think :/ . I sometimes wonder why I don't have you on my ignore list to be honest.

you don't like it, move on, no need to cry about my post dude. move along now. we done here.

• LOL
Reactions: GHG

Leonidas

Good to see Sony capitulate to PC Gamers so quickly.

PC wins yet again :messenger_sun:

The damage is already done though, PC gamers don't forget when companies do stuff like this.

Helldivers 2 went from one of the best rated games on Steam to one of the worst, I doubt most people will go back wasting time editing their negative reviews.

The damage is already done though, PC gamers don't forget when companies do stuff like this.

Helldivers 2 went from one of the best rated games on Steam to one of the worst, I doubt most people will go back wasting time editing their negative reviews.

It's back above Starfield again which is what matters

Topher

Gold Member

Nah....recent reviews have already gone from "overwhelmingly negative" to "mixed".

rSGHCQ6.png

O02Erlz.png

Reasonable how? Is it reasonable to make PSN mandatory when it has been proved for months that the game works perfectly fine without linking shit to PSN?

Why would you expect the game not to work without link a PSN account? WTF has that got to do with anything.

The account linking was always about data tracking and Sony/arrowhead being able to ban players. Nobody every claimed the game didn't work without it.

That's absurd reasoning.

Dude, you do whatever you want with your data. People have the right to complain when asked about unreasonable requirements such as this one.

People have the right to complain about whatever they like, and I have the right to call them whiny bitches for complaining about the most benign shit. And soooo....? What is your point?

Top Bottom