• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

billbil-kun: God of War Ragnarok is the next PC Port

Gp1

Me waiting for GT7

-DTE0T.gif

Rac3r

Me waiting for GT7

-DTE0T.gif

I wonder what that port would look like? I'm guessing they'd release it with PSVR compatibility, but I imagine PD will struggle with Sport mode implementation and moderating crossplay. I could even see them releasing it without Sport mode.

LakeOf9

I enjoyed this one. I’d love to play it again, especially if I can mod some of the slower sections out. I liked them enough the first time but I think they would drag on a replay.

Anyway good game. Please don’t fuck it up by tying it to PSN shenanigans Sony. You already did that with Ghost of Tsushima.

It teaches their customers that there is no point in buying the game on console at launch, better wait for the better and cheaper PC version. Sony are already seeing this outcome as shown in their last sales leak. Notably the analysis on Horizon FW sales on PC that has completely changed the trajectory of sales on consoles (compared to the first Horizon). Basically they are eventually not squeezing more revenue overall. Instead of buying the game on console people are buying it on their PC. Thing is, they are now investing into the PC ecosystem, buying CPU, GPU, digital money from Fortnite / COD that won't go to PSN. Why do you think PSN profits faltered recently?
Console people buy on console where they prefer to game, PC people buy on PC where they prefer to game. It's that simple, if you're multiplat gamer then it's fine to play on PC.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
- Best writing in a game ever.
- Atreus and Angrboda are some of the most likeable, well-written characters in gaming history.
- Zero DEI bullshit
- Game flow is amazing and not padded out at all.
- Very chill game where you don't have tens of OCD-inducing sidequests/icons/challenges on the map/menus.
- Controls and combat systems are not convoluted at all.

Most importantly though, it has SOUL, i.e, it doesn't feel like it's made by a committee
PC master race is in for a treat
Cm Punk Reaction GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
The ports started in 2020 but we’re supposed to believe that suddenly their customers woke up in 2023 and decided to go PC?

It’s an association fallacy. Same thing happened with NVIDIA and AMD following the shortages. They couldn’t maintain those insane numbers but still projected similar sales and completely missed the mark.

And that’s despite the AI chips sales still going strong.

AMD was also reportedly down something like 38% YoY. This is the post-pandemic settling in, but you choose to go "hur hur, 2-year-old PC ports hurting them like Xbox". Nonsense.

We’ve been over this and you’re either dishonest or lying. Their sales took a nosedive following the Kinect fad and again in 2015 (when they stopped reporting them out of embarrassment). Both instances were before the PC ports. At no point do their sales coming crashing down coincided with Day 1 PC releases. You make this argument in every thread whenever the occasion arrives but have precious nothing to back you up.

Not even close. Xbox has had mediocre exclusives for over a decade. This is what did them in, not PC ports.

Except Xbox sales going down haven’t proven you right because they had been declining years before they ported their games to PC Day 1. They even saw a surge upon the Series’ launches, only to go down again, something that wouldn’t have happened because it had been several years since they had begun porting their games to PC day and date.

The reality is Sony, unlike Xbox, has well-received exclusives that drive the sales of their platforms. They also usually wait around 2 years to port major 1st-party games. By that point, the sales on consoles have dramatically slowed down and they’ve captured most of the console userbase. People willing to wait 2 years for their games weren’t interested in their consoles to begin with and those who were turned away from them as a result have numbers that are insignificant.

This is nothing like Xbox Day 1 ports, so you trying to equate them is nothing short of moronic.
I am not doing this with you again. You view everything i say as dishonest or lying. I have never met a person who has zero faith in other people and who continuously assumes the worst about others and then continues to engage them. Maybe you are projecting and that’s who you are deep down inside or maybe you are surrounded by dishonest cunts in real life. Either way i Couldn’t care less. Its such a shitty way to present an argument that i simply don’t have the patience not the desire to continue talking to people who have zero desire to take my opinions and the facts i link and present at face value and assume there is some sinister motive behind it all.

I presented my case. You disagree. Let’s move on. Don’t be a woman and assume the worst. Ms lost sales because of tv TV tv, poor specs, poor exclusives and later PC ports. They kept up pace with Sony up until 2016 winning several November and December months then fell off despite launching the x1x. If you think this has nothing to do with pc ports then fine that your opinion but to make it out to be some kind of retarded take is so weird because it’s a fairly common one on this board. You seem to have some serious issues coming to grips with different takes. I don’t think forums are for you. Try twitter and join echo chambers.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Console people buy on console where they prefer to game, PC people buy on PC where they prefer to game. It's that simple, if you're multiplat gamer then it's fine to play on PC.
Except for the fact that we know from Sony’s own internal surveys that console gamers switch to PC mid Gen and seeing as how Sony is doubling down on the ps5 pro this Gen, it seems to still be the case.

I prefer to game on consoles. So do all of my friends from various different message boards. The PC gamers among us never bought consoles but we would switch mid or late gen. This Gen we all skipped Xbox because they were available on PC. It is a reality for the most affluent of gamers. The ones who buy games on day one at full price and spend $1,000 more than later adopters according to Sony themselves. Even if it’s a tiny portion of us, like 10-20% lost sales Sony saw in 2023, the hit on revenue and profit would be higher because we spend more than the average user. I bought two xbox consoles last Gen. Zero this Gen. Now i spend 80% of my yearly dollars on PC.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I am not doing this with you again. You view everything i say as dishonest or lying.
Yeah, except that’s false and you’re one of the posters I tend to agree with the most. There are very specific things you say I entirely disagree with and I do think you’re being disingenuous in this particular case simply because I know you’re intelligent enough to see the glaring flaw in the premise of your arguments. This is the case here.

Are you really going to sit here and pretend that Sony missing the mark on their sales target has anything to do with PC ports that are 2 years late despite known upcoming ports such as GOWR, Spider-Man 2, and the now-released FW selling more than their predecessor? Because I don’t believe for a second you genuinely believe you made a compelling argument with this.
I have never met a person who has zero faith in other people and who continuously assumes the worst about others and then continues to engage them. Maybe you are projecting and that’s who you are deep down inside or maybe you are surrounded by dishonest cunts in real life. Either way i Couldn’t care less. Its such a shitty way to present an argument that i simply don’t have the patience not the desire to continue talking to people who have zero desire to take my opinions and the facts i link and present at face value and assume there is some sinister motive behind it all.
Nah, I generally give the benefit of the doubt unless it’s obvious, and for some weird reason, you’ve been pushing the, "PC ports devalue console games!" angle for a while. The problem of course being the fact that you’re now incapable of being impartial or balanced regarding this issue, and the moment something that may align with your beliefs happen, you’ll run with it with no care for context or nuance such as is the case here.
I presented my case. You disagree.
If your case is, "Sony missed its sales target because of PC ports," then yeah, I disagree and must point out the sheer flaw in the argument.
Ms lost sales because of tv TV tv, poor specs, poor exclusives and later PC ports. They kept up pace with Sony up until 2016 winning several November and December months then fell off despite launching the x1x.
Except that they didn't. The PS4 in 2016 reached 50M units sold, which is around what the Xbox One did in its lifetime. It kept pace for maybe 1 year and fell to the wayside. Microsoft stopped announcing sales numbers for the Xbox One in 2015 out of shame so how were they keeping pace until 2016? They weren't and were getting destroyed by the beginning of 2015 and it just kept getting worse.
If you think this has nothing to do with pc ports then fine that your opinion but to make it out to be some kind of retarded take is so weird because it’s a fairly common one on this board. You seem to have some serious issues coming to grips with different takes.
I have issues coming to grips with different takes when they don't make freakin' sense. Doesn't matter how many people have them. Where were you when the PS5 was outpacing the PS4? Where were you when they were breaking records following the shortage resolution? Where were you when GOWR and Spider-Man 2 were destroying the numbers of their predecessors? Those who bitch about PC ports hurting console sales are mostly console gamers who seethe at the fact that PC is getting so many games and want it to stop. Most PC gamers and Sony realize that these markets are separate with some overlap that may or may not be significant depending on the title. That is why Shawn Layden (or Andrew House) said they realized that since PC gamers weren't coming to PlayStation, they were going to PC gamers. This strategy is carefully thought out and analyzed and the timeline is one of the most critical factors in those decisions. Unlike Xbox, Sony isn't led by a bunch of clueless idiots so suggesting that they're morons who don't know what they're doing and are hurting their brand because of late PC ports is farcical, especially when absolutely nothing backs up what you're saying.

So, no, I don't believe 2-year-old PC ports impact PlayStation to any significant degree, and using missed post-COVID sales target as evidence doesn't even work since damn near everyone, including the PC market, also whiffed on their objectives.

Gaiff

This Gen we all skipped Xbox because they were available on PC.
No, we skipped it because their games are garbage. Do you seriously think a large number of people would have bought an Xbox to play trash like Redfall, Starfield (that flopped even on PC), or Halo Infinite? Xbox has 2 great games this gen thus far, FH5 and Hi-Fi Rush. After a decade-plus of mediocrity, gamers have abandoned the ship and stopped trusting Xbox.

Neofire

A few dollars? Sony has made near a billion from PC, and that's not including micro transactions or Destiny 2.
What the hell are you talking about Destiny 2 has always been on PC way before Sony bought Bungie and the ports of PC games from PlayStation from 2021 to now have not made Sony a Billion dollars. You do know we the actual sales figures from the leaks right? Even if by some miracle your assertion was correct, with many of the ports that did manage to be put on PC most of those games cost at least 200 million to make a piece and with the capable PCs to Ps5 hardware ratio. The PC should be trouncing a console with only 50 million units sold WW and it is not. With the exception of Helldiver's 2 the PC community is far behind but yet they should be made a priority? FoH

Last edited:

Gaiff

What the hell are you talking about Destiny 2 has always been on PC way before Sony bought Sony and the ports of PC games from PlayStation from 2021 to now have not made Sony a Billion dollars. You do know we the actual sales figures from the leaks right? Even if by some miracle your assertion was correct, with many of the ports that did manage to be put on PC most of those games cost at least 200 million to make a piece and with the capable PCs to Ps5 hardware ratio. The PC should be trouncing a console with only 50 million units sold WW and it is not. With the exception of Helldiver's 2 the PC community is far behind but yet they should be made a priority? FoH
I don’t think he said PC should be made a priority?

Also, you seem to be taking this very personally.

Last edited:

IDWhite

Like I always say; This PC PS strategy it going to have an impact on console market growth and revenue in the mid to long term.

PC is now more widespread and popular platform for gaming, and his players are refusing to go through PSN.

Game deveplopment its now completely different from previus console generations. Now you have better experience being a PC player than a console player, with only a few disadvantages.

And that theory that says: "PC ports are getting a good revenue that enables to fund more future projects and benefits to the console ecosystem". It's clearly not knowing what you're talking about.

Neofire

Also, you seem to be taking this very personally.
Says the individual that has literally written a 5 page essay from all of his replies on this thread.
And that theory that says: "PC ports are getting a good revenue that enables to fund more future projects and benefits to the console ecosystem". It's clearly not knowing what you're talking about.
I agree and Sony is taking a huge gamble, the same one that turned out horribly for Microsoft and Xbox.

King Dazzar

I loved the game, but at the same time, couldn't wait for it to end. How does that work? So maybe went on too long. No regrets though, worth it just for some of the art in it....

Gaiff

Says the individual that has literally written a 5 page essay from all of his replies on this thread.
I only had a discussion with one poster and it was over data and business practices, not getting mad about what Sony is doing.

You’re seemingly getting angry and telling people off for things they never said. When did Zathlus say that PC gamers should be the primary focus?

rofif

Banned
Like I always say; This PC PS strategy it going to have an impact on console market growth and revenue in the mid to long term.

PC is now more widespread and popular platform for gaming, and his players are refusing to go through PSN.

Game deveplopment its now completely different from previus console generations. Now you have better experience being a PC player than a console player, with only a few disadvantages.

Of course it will have an effect on console.
I got a ps4 because I wanted to play bloodborne and the last guardian. now I am a satisfied customer and I buy everything on console.
My buddy with a 4080 got a ps5 to play ghost of tsushima (for which alone he couldn't justify ps5 purchase) but he got into sim racing and gt7 was the last straw. he now enjoy and buys games on ps5. At least some.

There is a threshold of exclusives backlog everyone is going to face.
Now? All those pc gamers who would maybe get a console for enough exclusives, have no reason to do so other than just wait.

And why sony should want to sell more consoles and games on there? Well it's their console, their store, their revenue and their 30%

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
These PC ports are going to make the PS5 Pro a worthless upgrade, because anything it can do, a capable enough PC can also do and probably better.

Of course a capable PC will be better. That will forever be the case.

How does that detract from your enjoyment knowing someone’s playing a game two years after you?

Exclusives are a thing of the past. Everything Sony puts out will be coming to PC.

Zathalus

What the hell are you talking about Destiny 2 has always been on PC way before Sony bought Bungie and the ports of PC games from PlayStation from 2021 to now have not made Sony a Billion dollars. You do know we the actual sales figures from the leaks right? Even if by some miracle your assertion was correct, with many of the ports that did manage to be put on PC most of those games cost at least 200 million to make a piece and with the capable PCs to Ps5 hardware ratio. The PC should be trouncing a console with only 50 million units sold WW and it is not. With the exception of Helldiver's 2 the PC community is far behind but yet they should be made a priority? FoH
What the hell are you on about? I was just noting that Sony has made significant revenue from the PSN ports so far (moet of it is Helldivers to be fair), not a "few dollars" as you claimed. Nor did I claim that PC should be a priority (it clearly isn't). Obviously the amount made it is not anywhere near what they make with the PS5, but it's still a significant amount of money.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Also a reminder that Sony pockets more money selling their games on Steam, than they do selling physical PS5 games.

Sony makes $0 on those physical PlayStation games you brag about being able to resell.

We just had a thread on how most Sony games are purchased physically, so you’d better hope for the death of physical games if you truly care about Sony’s financial status.

Midn1ght

Also a reminder that Sony pockets more money selling their games on Steam, than they do selling physical PS5 games.

Sony makes $0 on those physical PlayStation games you brag about being able to resell.

We just had a thread on how most Sony games are purchased physically, so you’d better hope for the death of physical games if you truly care about Sony’s financial status.
Partially true. I think Sony makes 40% on a physical game after the cut from the retailer and the cost of producing the physical version, not 0%.
They of course make 0% when the physical game is resold second hand.

They still make more by selling digitally on Steam (from 70% to 80%) and of course digitally on their own store (100%).

The same people who are screaming about Sony lost revenue on PC will also cry as soon as a game is not available physically. They will also say how this is hurting Sony long term while conveniently ignoring the graveyard full of Studios and IPs that died during the PS3 and PS4 era.

Truth is, they would rather have the same TLOU, GOW, Spiderman and Horizon games regurgitated every years than having a diverse portfolio of games in a healthy ecosystem. They only care about feeling "SPECIAL" and justifying their purchase.

Going multi-platform is not what's killing the industry, it's shit games, greed, anti-consumer behaviors and retarded fanboys.

feynoob

who cares family guy GIF

Combat is good (I still hate the up close camera, but you do kinda get used to it) but the game is so poorly paced. One and done, I really couldn't play the game again.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
The ones I really don't get are Bloodborne and Demon Souls.
Dark Souls is big on PC, Elden Ring was big on PC, recent souls-likes like Lies of P did well on PC.
There's obviously a big audience that would instantly buy these games.

Instead it's like "here is the newest Ratchet and Clank, a franchise that has never been on Pc and basically no one was asking for on PC"
Has any of Bluepoint's games made it up to PC? Maybe there's something about their engine that makes it hard to port.

BurningNad

Kinda wish I didn't spoil the shit out of myself with this game, but I'm excited to finally be able to play this! Might wait for a sale though, I've waited this long, why not...

Fake

- Best writing in a game ever.
- Atreus and Angrboda are some of the most likeable, well-written characters in gaming history.
- Zero DEI bullshit
- Game flow is amazing and not padded out at all.
- Very chill game where you don't have tens of OCD-inducing sidequests/icons/challenges on the map/menus.
- Controls and combat systems are not convoluted at all.

Most importantly though, it has SOUL, i.e, it doesn't feel like it's made by a committee
PC master race is in for a treat

WTF you smoke before posting this?

Taycan77

What is the point of PS5 Pro?

These PC ports are going to make the PS5 Pro a worthless upgrade, because anything it can do, a capable enough PC can also do and probably better.
I sometimes wonder if people factor in cost or if the most diehard PC exponents simply justify the extreme price difference.

I've been looking around for a new desktop PC for office, media and (hopefully) a little gaming. The cost of PC gaming these days is nothing short of extortionate. The best you can do under £1000 is a 4060 with severe compromises elsewhere in the spec. Once you look at 4070 and above costs start around £1600 and to find anything that can compete with expected (real world) PS5 Pro performance I expect you'd need to look at £2,000+ machines.

Back in the day PC was a viable alternative to consoles but I think we have long since passed that point. If more people are given the option to play PS5 ports with settings turned down on a modest PC good for them.

Sony are already seeing this outcome as shown in their last sales leak. Notably the analysis on Horizon FW sales on PC that has completely changed the trajectory of sales on consoles (compared to the first Horizon). Basically they are eventually not squeezing more revenue overall.

The report I saw stated HFW sales where soft after hitting PS+ - nothing to do with the much later PC port.

Probably why we're seeing fewer 1st party titles hitting PS+, for example GT7, which is also still absent on PC.

I guess Sony considers GT7 a system seller some 2 years after launch - probably a PS5 Pro system seller as well if it gets a major update.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It teaches their customers that there is no point in buying the game on console at launch, better wait for the better and cheaper PC version. Sony are already seeing this outcome as shown in their last sales leak. Notably the analysis on Horizon FW sales on PC that has completely changed the trajectory of sales on consoles (compared to the first Horizon). Basically they are eventually not squeezing more revenue overall. Instead of buying the game on console people are buying it on their PC. Thing is, they are now investing into the PC ecosystem, buying CPU, GPU, digital money from Fortnite / COD that won't go to PSN. Why do you think PSN profits faltered recently?
Do you own a PC?
If not, do you plan on buying one?

If the answer to both is no, congrulations you've just proven that console gamers will not wait months just to flock to PC to buy the superior version of a game. They will play it as is, and they will enjoy it.

Zathalus

I sometimes wonder if people factor in cost or if the most diehard PC exponents simply justify the extreme price difference.

I've been looking around for a new desktop PC for office, media and (hopefully) a little gaming. The cost of PC gaming these days is nothing short of extortionate. The best you can do under £1000 is a 4060 with severe compromises elsewhere in the spec. Once you look at 4070 and above costs start around £1600 and to find anything that can compete with expected (real world) PS5 Pro performance I expect you'd need to look at £2,000+ machines.

Back in the day PC was a viable alternative to consoles but I think we have long since passed that point. If more people are given the option to play PS5 ports with settings turned down on a modest PC good for them.

The report I saw stated HFW sales where soft after hitting PS+ - nothing to do with the much later PC port.

Probably why we're seeing fewer 1st party titles hitting PS+, for example GT7, which is also still absent on PC.

I guess Sony considers GT7 a system seller some 2 years after launch - probably a PS5 Pro system seller as well if it gets a major update.
Assuming you are building it yourself you can assemble a 4070 PC that would match the Pro for around £1000. About £1150 if you are buying a prebuilt 4070 PC off Amazon. £2000+ PCs gets you a 4080 Super PC with a 7800x3D and 64GB monster.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Assuming you are building it yourself you can assemble a 4070 PC that would match the Pro for around £1000. About £1150 if you are buying a prebuilt 4070 PC off Amazon. £2000+ PCs gets you a 4080 Super PC with a 7800x3D and 64GB monster.
how about we wait for performance and actual specs before just assuming that a 1000 dollar 4070 PC is going to match the nonexistent pro

Gp1

wont happen due to licenses

I doubt it.
If their PC strategy is something strategic and long-term, this must have already been thought about long ago.
And of all Sony franchises, Gran Turismo is the one that best fits the "consumption pattern" of the PC player.

Last edited:

Zathalus

how about we wait for performance and actual specs before just assuming that a 1000 dollar 4070 PC is going to match the nonexistent pro
We have more then enough specs to make a very well informed guess. It's a 60 CU RDNA3/4 GPU that clocks up to 2.35Ghz with regular clocks around 2.23Ghz fueled by 18Gbps memory. Considering the 45 percent increase claimed by Sony themselves, a 4070 is more then enough to exceed or at least match the Pro in the far majority of titles. If not (somehow), a 4070 Super for £40 over the regular 4070 will certainly be enough.

Taycan77

No I wouldn't be building the PC myself - in fact I don't know a single person in my family or circle of friends who has ever built a PC. Which gets back to the point about how PC is a specialised market with little crossover with consoles.

I've browsed all the recognised UK PC builders in the last few days. As I say, I can't find anything better than a 4060 much under £1000, 4070 machines are £1,500+, while 4080's are £1,800-£2,000+.

I'd be gutted to buy a £1,500+ PC which is outperformed by PS5 Pro - and certainly can't justify anything close to £2,000. The most interesting systems for me are at the budget end as I'd only be playing a handful of racing sims which aren't the most taxing. Even so I'd be worried a 4060 would be too much of a compromise even at 1440P.

Zathalus

No I wouldn't be building the PC myself - in fact I don't know a single person in my family or circle of friends who has ever built a PC. Which gets back to the point about how PC is a specialised market with little crossover with consoles.

I've browsed all the recognised UK PC builders in the last few days. As I say, I can't find anything better than a 4060 much under £1000, 4070 machines are £1,500+, while 4080's are £1,800-£2,000+.

I'd be gutted to buy a £1,500+ PC which is outperformed by PS5 Pro - and certainly can't justify anything close to £2,000. The most interesting systems for me are at the budget end as I'd only be playing a handful of racing sims which aren't the most taxing. Even so I'd be worried a 4060 would be too much of a compromise even at 1440P.
Other then some options on Amazon you can try awd-it.co.uk and scan.co.uk.

Around the £1200-£1300 price point for a pretty decent PC.

feynoob

I doubt it.
If their PC strategy is something strategic and long-term, this must have already been thought about long ago.
And of all Sony franchises, Gran Turismo is the one that best fits the "consumption pattern" of the PC player.
But there is music and license car problems.

kiphalfton

Want to play Ragnarok, mainly out of conpletionist mentality. But my God was thrown first game a bloated mess.

Guessing Ragnarok is same story.

Top Bottom