• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale |OT| Use Supers to Smash your Bros!

TheMink

iJfEB9XFrgtbR.png
Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America
Developer: SuperBot Entertainment
Platform: PlayStation 3, PlayStation Vita
Genre: Fighter
ESRB: Teen
PEGI: 12
Release Date:
(NA) November 20, 2012
(EU) November 21, 2012
(UK, AU, IRL) November 23, 2012
(JPN) January 31, 2013
Price:
(PS3) $59.99
(PSV) $39.99
Official Site:
http://www.playstationallstarsbattleroyale.com

PlayStation All-Stars supports Cross Buy.
If you buy the PS3 version you get a downloadable Vita copy free!
Linked to your account, you can’t buy the PS3 version and give the vita version away/sell it.
Online Pass included.

Pre Order Bonus:

Alt Costumes for all 20 characters.

Day-One Digital:

Is also available and supports the Cross Buy and Pre Order Bonus features.

Players:

- 1-4 (Local and Online)
- Vita 1-4 (Ad-Hoc and Online)
- Cross Play Compatible

Controls:

All inputs are Attack + Direction

- Attack 1: Square
- Attack 2: Triangle
- Attack 3: Circle
- Super: R2 (Vita: R)
- Grab Item: R1 (Vita: tap anywhere on the screen)
- Grab Enemy: Press Right, Down, or Up on the right analog stick while close to the character.
- Block: L1 (Vita: L)
- Evade: L1 + Direction (Vita: L + Direction)
- Air Evade: Jump + L1 (Vita: Jump + L)
- Taunt: R2 (Vita: Select)

-FAQ-

What is it?

An up to 4-player brawler/fighter with an obvious influence from Super Smash Bros. Featuring some of Sony’s biggest IP’s along with a few 3rd party characters.

How do I win?

PlayStation All-Stars has very unique goal for the game. That goal being; beat up your opponents with regular attacks, building AP that contributes to a super bar, then go for the kill with either a lvl 1, 2, or 3 super respectively. That is the only way to score.
(With one exception, see Items)

So if I miss with my super all my work is ruined?!?!?

Yup!

I like Super Smash Bros. will I like this game?

Possibly, the game differs in many respects. Just to outline a few, in All-Stars in order to be truly successful it’s highly recommended to learn a few combos. Additionally All Stars does not play like Smash, the whole feel of the game is just different to say the least.
However All Stars is highly accessible like Smash is. And it’s great fun.

Two Cole’s got in this game but not [insert character name here] and Dante is DINO?!?!

Having Two Cole’s was conditional on having any at all. Sucker Punch had a very strong influence over this and said that Cole was really two characters not one.

Not all publishers play nice, Crash and Spyro are owned by Activision, and well you can imagine how that meeting went, and Team Ico doesn’t like their characters appearing in anything else apparently.

And similar to Sucker Punch its safe to assume Capcom said, “IT MUST BE NEW DANTE!”

Siliconera - Did you try for Crash Bandicoot at all? Crash was so synonymous with the PlayStation brand early on even though he’s at Activision now.

Omar - Yeah. I have to say it’s not that Superbot is some independent developer chasing down third-party characters. This is a negotiation that happens on a much higher level than Superbot, with Sony and Activision, these two giant companies.

And I completely understand how big and important a character like Crash is to the PlayStation universe. We want to make it clear to fans that we understand how important a character Crash is to the PlayStation universe. Obviously, we try everything in our power to try and get characters like Crash.

Will there be an alt costume for classic Dante?

SuperBot says, “Nope.” Capcom is being really restrictive about that apparently, unsurprisingly.

Will there be DLC? And will it be Cross Compatible?

I’m here today to announce the first DLC characters that will be joining the All-Stars roster: Kat from Gravity Rush, and Starhawk‘s Emmett Graves!...

…Yes, you heard that right. We’re very happy to announce these first two DLC characters will be free to everyone for the first two weeks once they are available for download early next year.

Siliconera - The DLC will be cross-compatible with the Vita version, right?

Omar - Yes, absolutely.

This is a new fighter, with an open-ended combo system; I’m probably going to get stuck in a couple infinite combos right?

Nope! SuperBot has implemented an “infinite avoidance system” which stops that from happening.
Basically, once a certain threshold (AP Bursting) is reached you are ejected from the combo and put into an invincible state for a short period.

(See Regular Attacks for more info)

What about Wombo Combos?

There are those to an extent, but the infinite avoidance system kicks in just the same for that as well.

Is All-Stars unbalanced at all?

The common opinion is that Kratos, Raiden, the Coles, and now Kat are stronger than the rest of the cast. But that shouldnt stop you from finding new ways to make "low tiered" characters better.

Games unbalanced because everyone is overpowered

How is the Online?

Very good, the net code is incredibly impressive, the beta had a few hiccups for a few players but that’s why they call it a beta amiright?

After some time with the game its far from perfect but its not awful. Some glitches still plague online.

Will All-Stars support high levels of play?

I would say definitely, but we will see how it shapes up in the near future.

Does it support the use of a fightstick?

Yes it does!

Can I change attack buttons to support my play style?

Yes indeed.

Is FFA a cluster?

Yes, but its still great fun. 2v2 is much more competitive, as is 1v1.

Who is the easiest character to play as?

Kratos. Can’t go wrong.

How much content is there?

+ Seth Killian on November 8th, 2012 at 11:24 am said:
Beyond arcade mode with intros, endings, and rival cut-scenes for every character and all the multiplayer stuff, All-Stars has tons of interesting challenges and trials (both overall trials and character-specific stuff). Certainly it’s hundreds of hours of content there, and a very extensive set of unlocks, from titles, to taunts, to character-specific intro and outro moves, musical themes, badges, etc. Hope this helps.

Additionally:
Alternate Costumes
Customizable taunt animations
Customizable outro/intro animations
Tons of calling cards

-The Mechanics-

The Super System:

By using normal attacks you build up AP for your super meter. That super meter is split up into three parts lvl 1, lvl 2, and lvl 3. In order to get higher than a lvl 1 you simply save up for it instead of using it right away.

- Killing with supers is the only way to score. The one exception being the item that kills.
- Each level of super is more effective at killing than the last.
- You cannot use any level of super below the one you are on.
- Supers cannot be blocked, only dodged or countered with another super.
- Lvl 1 supers can be stopped early by regular attacks if timed properly (or improperly deepening on your perspective)
- Lvl 2 supers can only be stopped with another super.
- Lvl 3 supers stop all other supers (except other lvl 3s, if someone activates a lvl 3 before you, you must wait until the end of it before you can yours) from happening as you press it and through the duration of it.
- Lvl 3 supers stop time if time is active.
- Some lvl 3 supers cannot be dodged.
- Lvl 2 supers can be hit confirmed, depending on the character.
- Some Lvl 1 supers can be hit confirmed (dependent on the character and situation)

The super system is much deeper than it looks.

This is how it works:

The estimated AP requirement for each super is as follows. (Based on PaRappa, the only character available for training in the beta, different for each character)

From lvl 0 to lvl 1: 130 AP

From lvl 1 to lvl 2: 270 AP

From lvl 2 to lvl 3: 200 AP

600 AP total

The amount of kills you should be getting with each super equal to the AP it costs:

Lvl 1: 130 AP, 1 Kill

Lvl 2: 300 AP, 2-3 Kills

Lvl 3: 600 AP, 4-5 Kills

So, if you are able to get an average of 2-3 kills with a lvl 1 super, your AP efficiency goes way up. However it’s extremely easy to wiff a lvl 1 super. So you have to consider your opponents and your situation.
High-level players are definitely going to stick with lvl 1 and 2 supers.
Lvl 3 supers are actually the most inefficient use of your AP if you are capable of getting lvl 2’s and 1’s off with the minimum kills allotted above.
However lvl 3 tactics are more based on discouraging lower lvl supers, if someone uses a lvl 2 you can immediately cancel their lvl 2 with your lvl 3, giving you easy kills but also destroying their AP build.

Regular Attacks:

No matter what you think, regular attacks are VERY IMPORTANT. The biggest key to the character you choose is finding the most efficient way to gain AP. The people who gain AP the fastest are almost always (99.99%) the winner.
The most efficient way to gain AP is combos. Some characters are more combo oriented than others, however that doesn’t meant they are better at gaining AP, just different. Raiden, Dante, Nariko… have the lengthiest combos. Big Daddy, Sir Dan, Radec… Are big hit oriented.
A big slow two hit combo by Big Daddy wont grant the same amount of AP as a quick 5 hit Raiden combo, however Big Daddy will more than likely pick up multiple people with each attack giving him a lot of AP that way.
Additionally, characters that inherently gain less AP will be balanced by having a shorter meter for super.

Advanced Info:

AP Bursting:

Once 100 AP is hit in a combo the enemy is bursted out of a combo. The act of reaching the burst gives you 30 AP as a bonus for doing so.

20+20+20+20+20=100+burst=130 AP

Ok great, simple enough right?

But what about people getting 155 AP combos?

155 is just about max for most characters and this is how it works.

20+20+20+20=80 so you only need 20 more AP to burst. Thats true in a sense, but its far more effecient to get to the highest possible number before bursting. Which for simplicities sake lets say that number is 95.

Instead of going for all huge hits (which also happens to be the easiest combos) try and go for a few smaller hits in there to bring up the total number before bursting.

20+20+5+5+20+5+20=95 now at this point in your combo will burst in 5 more AP. But if you were to finish your combo with a 5 AP hit that would be a tremendous waste because that will just make you hit 130 again.
When you are at the 95 point in your combo you want to hit with the hardest single motion attack in your arsenal if possible. 30AP is the heaviest single attack i believe (zeus will probably change that).

95+30=125+burst=155 AP

Exceptions to the Rule:

Grabs and Dantes Guns.

Grabs do not contribute to the burst in any way. So if you can combo out of your grab (im looking at you kat) you can potentially gain 215 AP from a single combo (assuming they are at a full lvl 3 and you get 155 AP in your combo)

Dantes Guns also do not contribute to the burst in any way and cannot cause a burst. Therefore they act as free AP.

So a regular combo no guns might look like this:

20+5+5+10+20+5+5+20+30=120+burst=150

But heres what the same looks like with guns (in parenthesis) at maxpotential:

20+(10)+5+5+10+(20)+20+5+5+20+(10)+30=160+burst=190

Not even the best combo Dante can do.

Wall bounces in Capcom fighters are consistent. No matter where you do Ryu’s EX Donkey Kick, they always hit the wall and bounce off to a range where you can basically do the same combo. There’s a tiny bit of variance but not really.

Whereas this, characters have a specific velocity and they lose velocity over time if they approach the wall, so if they’re going above a certain speed, they’ll bounce off and then you can continue the combo that way. It’s actually a key part of the gameplay. If they don’t, they’ll sort of clunk the wall and plop down over there.

So knowing those ranges, knowing what the optimal combo is depending on your relative positions to a wall or a platform or a ledge or whatever, it’s one of those emergent parts of the gameplay at a high level.

But we wanted to do our own thing! And make the kind of game that’s sticky for people who have played a lot of Capcom games and traditional fighting games. So it’s the genre of fighters like Smash but the core mechanics are much, much closer to Street Fighter or Marvel in the detail.

http://www.nowgamer.com/features/1689267/playstation_allstars_seth_killian_interview.html

Grabs:

Done with right analog stick (or two buttons + direction on a fightstick), grabs take AP away from the enemy. It takes away 15% of their AP. You can grab enemies who are blocking. Unique to each character.

- UP + Grab will allow for some combo-ability.
- Down + Grab keeps them close.
- Left/Right + Grab ejects the opponent far from you.

Items:

They have many different effects, but items that attack the opponent will take their AP away similar to grabs.

Other effects include:

- Shield that will block a super
- Stunning
- Making supers unavailable temporarily
- One item will kill

Item List

Stage Hazards:

They also take AP away from the player.
If a stage has a pitfall you are teleported back on to the stage, stunned momentarily, and AP is ejected from you.
Can be turned off.

Characters and Rivalries:
ibdg32piXoA0Xo.png
ivcddQ5jHbEgI.png
ibvMbKAN71lJsd.png
iChIZxOofQWpu.png
ibtCgsK48CGEp1.png

ibdCFtM2014EXL.png
iPzDnKsenVQ1T.png
ibewhn4KZ7FWF0.png
ibqsbnElJ5n4gz.png
iOO8tbPTfoibk.png

Add-On Characters and Rivalries:

imIVnkKSIz9fU.png

In Order:

Jak and Daxter
Ratchet and Clank
Nathan Drake
Sly Cooper
Fat Princess
Evil Cole McGrath
Radec
Sir Daniel Fortesque
Big Daddy
Sackboy
Dante
Nariko
Toro
Heihachi Mishima
Parappa
Spike
Raiden
Good Cole McGrath
Kratos
Sweet Tooth
Kat
Emmett Graves

Stages:

idWkyVKv5yRaD.png
ibbem0zNky2zr3.png
ipFZoqCElPgqb.png
idcO9opH2AGmr.png
i735xSXL92Lyd.png
ibv7HLoQVHnxeF.png
ibcYU26r2adAwB.png
i6wn1e7x3do41.png
ixexxsG6QQtzW.png
iE28NSMUmdNOR.png
i0X9iUn66atzt.png
ibtmrNe62CtmJG.png
ishZ8M42TOfgW.png
iPELsJ3oThtap.png

Add-On Stages:

ibfqVtrMWMCJyl.png

Gameplay Modes:

- Arcade Mode
- Training Mode
- Combat Trials
- Versus Matches

o Online
o Team Battle
o Free For All

-Custom Matches-
• Time Limit
• Kill Limit
• Stock Limit
• AP Generation Toggle
• Intro/Outro Toggle
• Stage Hazard Toggle
• Item Toggle

Certain game modes are unknown at this time. But there should be many game modes.

Online:

- Cross Play
- Ranked and Player matches
- Party and Invites

-Swag-

Alternate Cover:

Download link

PS3 Wallpaper:

Vita Wallpaper:

Napalm Avatars:

iQ1nQy5kN7eRK.png
izHKgiN4bJFQ4.png
iTs9wsjQCRYWN.png
ipMCX9pkF3ttH.png
iKtKKjMq8n6mv.png
ibsqODOPFDelge.png
ib54LTe4FSJf3.png
iNIycBTa8PPrn.png
i6gakd9ClXH16.png
iBCgAYJ6hhFPs.png
ibkNbsEhBMEfUp.png
iwS1u0HZtsQWv.png
iBZSk4agmVcLq.png
ibmZqFD8rVlCES.png
ij87DjDouG6Zb.png
iG1BFp4bqeJKq.png
ic0PxvkzlBavM.png
ihFf78a7HdHgm.png
ibmmDC7vU09l7r.png
itG6BmuTJu1lT.png
ibkYi8I2ZEkH08.png
iKDUWVrDquGDR.png
ibyPBSFvAg3zoW.png
ibq58YOgqSExcC.png
ibqhTidKBZb5q0.png
ibzvBRlTxvSpKM.png
i85442EKhNdXo.png
iwMOOMkjcMn48.png
ibdzKgf7Is6O4v.png
ibcTNiOzeX2P3D.png
ibu8ONGww5By2e.png
ibtrVBA1I48C6V.png
iLU5oWRmXJV1A.png
ibzgRMK1BzQQIB.png
ibxM9HmuGnuo1e.png
iyCTGGXM1WSJS.png
ibjl1f7WACDYFp.png
ibpFSpzPwoWJn4.png
ibg7WGN4XcpJ6d.png
ibk0BmMYDvXW7n.png

Dreweyes Avatars:

5Juow.png
DiUm0.png
FIa8C.png
ZLYwn.png
pDmQk.png
PwHJL.png
VtIgZ.png
XtNFS.png
jMYDE.png
L5uTo.png
alBoL.png
5kThU.png
2OReB.png

Official Avatars (Napalm Edited):

Mms3a.png
jIs9y.png
v5MNs.png
EXGwF.png
PS5dw.png
vFIC3.png
tOEpL.png
JCfUa.png
c07JX.png
NSOFm.png
pGDnb.png
0L9wB.png
EOLiq.png
sKpIp.png
KOoXq.png
KLPZq.png
J0sjG.png
iWBdQ.png
Mns23.png
R2uBe.png

Minion Avatars (Ryce Edited)

3bHF5Ux.png
m3R2Szv.png
ZQMQ0TF.png
T15uqg9.png
fafuU1m.png
DA5AZqr.png
vX55ebD.png
kM00w07.png
cSqzSYo.png
nFHUESk.png
ggOK00c.png
CAgK9RB.png
VZ8HOGq.png
PfEx4Tw.png
PlF2KjJ.png
3PMnMMy.png
ivps0Al.png
RpqiNll.png

-Special Thanks-

The Almighty BruceLeeRoy:
-Banner
-Characters​

Dreweyes:
-Alternate Cover
-Wallpapers

Plainr_:
-Stages​
-Add On Characters​

Napalm_Frank:
-Proof Reading​

Ryce:

Siaynoqq
SSReborn
Loudninja
TimeEffect:
-Additional Info​

Mr. Fix:
-Sage Advice
-Allowing Me to do This :)

Paddington Bear:
- ;)

Corporate Cheerleader:
-Continuous Support
-The Willingness to Save the Day if Need Be​

SmithnCo:
-Genius Thread Title​

Have Fun!!!!

Is the game up for preorder on PSN right now? I just preordered on Amazon but will cancel and go digital if so - didn't know you still got the preorder bonus that way.

Beautiful job, the title was all I really needed to see.

FYI: Parappa is unique in that his Super 3 requires less AP, but only because of its nature. So generally, super 3's will require more AP

Remember also that air dodging is important. I believe it works like rolling, but without the actual rolls (just hold block in air to dodge)

Is the game up for preorder on PSN right now? I just preordered on Amazon but will cancel and go digital if so - didn't know you still got the preorder bonus that way.
It's currently up for pre-order, yes. You get the pre-order costumes and a PS3/Vita copy, plus it unlocks at 12:01(not sure if PST or EST).

TheMink

Beautiful job, the title was all I really needed to see.

FYI: Parappa is unique in that his Super 3 requires less AP, but only because of its nature. So generally, super 3's will require more AP

Remember also that air dodging is important. I believe it works like rolling, but without the actual rolls (just hold block in air to dodge)

Oh yes, how did i miss that >.<

Fixed.

Oh yes, how did i miss that >.<

I wasnt even aware of it much myself until much later in the beta, and by then the beta was over, by Killian really highlights it in that showing he did.

So, basically, moves like Drake's 2 and Toro's 2 and dodgeable in the air, and even in some cases, easier to dodge in the air than ground rolling.

Top Bottom