• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 100 PS4 games planned for 2014

Metalmarc

Anything I'm missing ?

Aban Hawkins and the 1,001 Spikes
Assault Android Cactus
Basement Crawl*
Bound by Flame
Carmageddon: Reincarnation
Child of Light
Cosmic Star Heroine
Counterspy
Daylight
Destiny
Diablo 3
Divekick
Doki Doki Universe*
Don't Starve
Dragon Age 3: Inquisition
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
DriveClub
Dying Light
Dynasty Warriors
EA Sports UFC
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Fez
Final Fantasy 14
Final Horizon
Galak-Z: The Dimensional
Guns of Icarus Online
Helldivers
Hohokum
Hyper Light Drifter
inFamous: Second Son
Lords of the Fallen
Mad Max
Mercenary Kings
Metal Gear Solid GZ
Minecraft
N++
Natural Doctrine
Octodad: Dadliest Catch HD Trailer
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty
Pavilion
Phantom Breaker Overdrive
PlanetSide 2
Pool Nation FX
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Project Phoenix
Ray's the Dead
Road not Taken
Rogue Legacy
Samurai Gunn
Secret Ponchos
Shadow of the Beast
Shadow Warrior
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
Skylanders: SWAP Force
Sniper Elite 3
Starbound
Strider
Swap Force
Switch Galaxy Ultra
The Binding of Isaac
The Crew
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Evil Within
The Order: 1886
The Walking Dead Season 2
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Witness
Thief
Transistor
Trials Fusion
Valiant Hearts
Velocity 2X
Volume
Wasteland Kings
Watch Dogs
Wolfenstein: The New Order

+ the yearly franchises like Fifa,CoD and so on.

End of 2014 will no doubt have

Fifa 15
Madden 15, or is it 26?
NHL 15
New COD
UFC 15
NBA live 15
NBA 2k15
WWE 2K15
GTA V (maybe)
Miami Hotline 2
New Need For Speed
Another lego game
And another lego game
Maybe a third lego game? (Star wars, dc and marvel?)
Amazing Spiderman 2

Okay we're almost done here

Daffy Duck

That's not how game development works.

Why?

This is my own personal view and I admit it may be wrong/against popular opinion;

I just see them as short games to play in bursts when you have a spare 15 minutes (time is used as just an example of a short amount of time) and are over fairly quickly and give very little replay value.

I know I will have and will continue to miss out on indie gems but they simply don't interest me and when numbers like 100 are used and the percentage of indie/arcade games is unknown it will only lead to disappointment for me personally.

Gotta put an asterisk on those 100 games, a lot of them are gonna be digital titles. We'll be lucky if even 15 of them are internal Sony studio games from SCEA, ND, and SCEJ.

A DD title is still a game. I'd even argue that a number of the digital-only titles on that list will absolutely shit all over some of those retail releases in terms of fun and replay value.

bon

Me... I do. I have played more Don't Starve then I will most blockbuster games. Multiplayer rarely ever keeps my interest and most "blockbuster" games are a one and done SP campaign.

Bring me new and different and I will be a happy gamer.

You don't need a $400 console to play Don't Starve though. It's on Steam.

Is it that hard to understand why people who just bought an expensive new console with 100GB of DDR5 whatever are not as interested in games that can run on any PC?

Hoo-doo

Banned
This is my own personal view and I admit it may be wrong/against popular opinion;

I just see them as short games to play in bursts when you have a spare 15 minutes (time is used as just an example of a short amount of time) and are over fairly quickly and give very little replay value.

I know I will have and will continue to miss out on indie gems but they simply don't interest me and when numbers like 100 are used and the percentage of indie/arcade games is unknown it will only lead to disappointment for me personally.

You have no clue what's out there in terms of "indie games", do you?

My god.

Skilletor

You don't need a $400 console to play Don't Starve though. It's on Steam.

Is it that hard to understand why people who just bought an expensive new console with 100GB of DDR5 whatever are not as interested in games that can run on any PC?

Is it that hard to understand that those are still games even if you can play them elsewhere, even if they don't cost as much as GTA or TLoU to make? They're still games even if they don't come in a box you by on amazon or at gamestop?

Seems like it is a difficult concept for many to grasp.

If a console existed that had 100GBs of DDR5 memory in it, there is no modern PC that could compete because that thing would likely be what 15 years from the future?

Drainer

Banned
I'm trying to understand the logistics of this. 100 games in 10 months?

It's halway through Feb and there are barely any games. Excuse my ignorance but are a massive chunk of these essentially going to be indie/mini/mobile style games or something?

I'm also assuming this is the US only? Because in Australia we already don't have some of the downloadables titles the US does.

Daffy Duck

You have no clue what's out there in terms of "indie games", do you?

My god.

Yes I do, but they don't interest me at a basic gaming need/enjoyment level.

Edit: therefore quite possibly a large percentage of this 100 games list will not interest me.

I'm also not claiming they aren't games, just they don't appeal to me.

nelchaar

Wow at the indie game hate going on here. Last I checked, a lot of people were playing and enjoying Resogun, Trine 2, Outlast and Don't Starve.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
A DD title is still a game. I'd even argue that a number of the digital-only titles on that list will absolutely shit all over some of those retail releases in terms of fun and replay value.

By no means am I shooting down these digital titles, they'll probably be a lot more fun than the other stuff coming out cause these developers put their hearts into it. However, I want Sony to unveil the big guns and luckily we might see something by E3....
Demon's Souls 2 please.... Where are you to confirm this Demonite?!?!?!

bon

Is it that hard to understand that those are still games even if you can play them elsewhere, even if they don't cost as much as GTA or TLoU to make? They're still games even if they don't come in a box you by on amazon or at gamestop?

Seems like it is a difficult concept for many to grasp.

I didn't say they aren't games.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Meh. Sony, how about releasing some AAA games instead of indie crap. I didn't invest 400$ for an indie machine. I have PC for that. Just release Drive Club already goddamit!

Jarsonot

100 games, just on this system!? No wonder a lot of companies are going under. How many games do we have time to play?

And I (and a lot of other people) have more than one system.

With this many games it's going to end up being a scramble to see who can market better, and who can offer their game for free (with In Game Purchases) to get people through the door.

It's not. A game is a game. Indies can be just as meaty, deep & complex (or lack content, superficial and simple) as the best (or worst) of non-indies. Just because they are often 2d or the 3d is simpler doesn't change that unarguable fact.

An indie or Indies as meaty/deep/complex as The Order/Destiny/Uncharted ?

Famassu

Meh. Sony, how about releasing some AAA games instead of indie crap. I didn't invest 400$ for an indie machine. I have PC for that. Just release Drive Club already goddamit!
Sony isn't releasing most of these 100 games, wise-ass. These aren't replacing inFamous and DriveClub on Sony's release calendar, don't be silly, they just ADD to what is already coming from Sony and 3rd party publishers and how anyone can find anything negative out of this piece of news is just mind-boggling.

rob305

I think the reason why people are upset is the communication. Of course they don't say they're launching 30 regular titles and 70 indie games in 2014 because "100 games" sounds better

Perhaps not but you listed the absolute top tier of AAA games. There's plenty of indies as deep and fun as your regular AAA game and for just a fraction of the price.

I find them great because they're excellent ways to fill the gaps between AAA releases

image.php

By no means am I shooting down these digital titles, they'll probably be a lot more fun than the other stuff coming out cause these developers put their hearts into it. However, I want Sony to unveil the big guns and luckily we might see something by E3....
Demon's Souls 2 please.... Where are you to confirm this Demonite?!?!?!

I definitely can appreciate the anticipation of seeing what Sony's first-party efforts are shaping up to be for this year. I'm just looking at that list as it currently stands and god damn there are a huge pile of games that am likely going to be playing in the next 10 months. Some seriously good stuff on that list.

Games are games and I am happy to have them. Indie or major they're still going to play on my system. As someone who has a laptop that I prefer not to game on, those indies are brand new games for me. Outlast didn't scare me any less because it was on PC before PS4. Don't Starve wasn't less awesome because other people played it before it came to my system. I think a lot of people get lost in the "BUT IT'S BEEN ON PC FOREVER" mindset or the "INDIE GAMES BE TRASH" thought process and forget that there are a ton of people out there who don't have PC's that can play these games.

So tired of the indies vs AAA debate when most of the games released on the majors for both next gen platforms are buggy, short, filled with unnecessary microtransations or all of the above.

kpaadet

I think the reason why people are upset is the communication. Of course they don't say they're launching 30 regular titles and 70 indie games in 2014 because "100 games" sounds better

The only ones that seems upset is you and two other guys, its a tweet, calm down.

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Sony isn't releasing most of these 100 games, wise-ass. These aren't replacing inFamous and DriveClub on Sony's release calendar, don't be silly, they just ADD to what is already coming from Sony and 3rd party publishers and how anyone can find anything negative out of this piece of news is just mind-boggling.

Yeah but when we only get 3 Sony first party games out of those 100 then something is not right. Also we don't have a release date for 2 of those games.

Famassu

Uncharted & likely The Order aren't that deep or complex. They are fairly straightforward and simple shooters. The only thing indies can't match is the cinematic flair/graphical quality, but for people who don't need every game to look like a summer blockbuster movie, that doesn't matter much as the gameplay can still be deeper & require more skill than highly automated games like Uncharted.

Zero315

Banned
Whatever, I don't get all the indie hate. I had more fun playing through Outlast than any AAA game released on the PS4 so far. I own Don't Starve and BInding of Issac on Steam and I'm still loving DS on the PS4 and looking forward to BoI. As long as it's a good game what does it matter?

Uncharted & likely The Order aren't that deep or complex. They are fairly straightforward and simple shooters. The only thing indies can't match is the cinematic flair/graphical quality, but for people who don't need every game to look like a summer blockbuster movie, that doesn't matter much as the gameplay can still be deeper & require more skill than highly automated games like Uncharted.

You have no idea if "The Order" is either of those things.

MavFan619

Banned
This board makes me so sad sometimes.
Between the people who are disenfranchised with AAA games, and those arguing indies shouldn't count towards a consoles number of games(?) I am confused. Looking forward to the PS4 stuff big or small, 1st party or multiplat. What's more important is how much of that 100 is worth playing here's to hoping a good amount of it.

Jonboy

Anything I'm missing ?

Aban Hawkins and the 1,001 Spikes
Assault Android Cactus
Basement Crawl*
Bound by Flame
Carmageddon: Reincarnation
Child of Light
Cosmic Star Heroine
Counterspy
Daylight
Destiny
Diablo 3
Divekick
Doki Doki Universe*
Don't Starve
Dragon Age 3: Inquisition
Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey
DriveClub
Dying Light
Dynasty Warriors
EA Sports UFC
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture
Fez
Final Fantasy 14
Final Horizon
Galak-Z: The Dimensional
Guns of Icarus Online
Helldivers
Hohokum
Hyper Light Drifter
inFamous: Second Son
Lords of the Fallen
Mad Max
Mercenary Kings
Metal Gear Solid GZ
Minecraft
N++
Natural Doctrine
Octodad: Dadliest Catch HD Trailer
Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee - New 'n' Tasty
Pavilion
Phantom Breaker Overdrive
PlanetSide 2
Pool Nation FX
Primal Carnage: Genesis
Project Phoenix
Ray's the Dead
Road not Taken
Rogue Legacy
Samurai Gunn
Secret Ponchos
Shadow of the Beast
Shadow Warrior
Shantae: Half-Genie Hero
Sherlock Holmes: Crimes & Punishments
Skylanders: SWAP Force
Sniper Elite 3
Starbound
Strider
Swap Force
Switch Galaxy Ultra
The Binding of Isaac
The Crew
The Elder Scrolls Online
The Evil Within
The Order: 1886
The Walking Dead Season 2
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
The Witness
Thief
Transistor
Trials Fusion
Valiant Hearts
Velocity 2X
Volume
Wasteland Kings
Watch Dogs
Wolfenstein: The New Order

+ the yearly franchises like Fifa,CoD and so on.

End of 2014 will no doubt have

Fifa 15
Madden 15, or is it 26?
NHL 15
New COD
UFC 15
NBA live 15
NBA 2k15
WWE 2K15
GTA V (maybe)
Miami Hotline 2
New Need For Speed
Another lego game
And another lego game
Maybe a third lego game? (Star wars, dc and marvel?)
Amazing Spiderman 2

MLB: The Show is a lock.

Zoned

Actively hates charity

Doesn't make any sense to compare with Uncharted as the franchise is supposed to be linear cinematic experience.

Let me know when an indie developer will able to provide any good MP shooter, open world action-adventures or some racing action. Most people don't give a shit about indie platformers.

Famassu

Yeah but when we only get 3 Sony first party games out of those 100 then something is not right. Also we don't have a release date for 2 of those games.
Sony is still releasing around 15 games this year. The Order, MLB, DriveClub and inFamous are known retail titles and I'd wager a guess it's pretty much 100% certain they'll announce at least 1-2 more big games in the coming months for a release later this year (the rest are confirmed/possible smaller digital releases like Dead Nation 2, Rime and Hohokum). I'm fairly certain Sony Japan will have something for 2014 (I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Last Guardian get a Q4 2014 release) and probably something from 1-2 western studios as well (Media Molecule? Santa Monica? Bend? London?)

Top Bottom